Kimball Midwest Employee Reviews

Nice place to work
Outside Sales (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 6, 2017
Its a nice place to work but they take a lot of money out of your check. To many reps in one area. Makes it look like there is no defined territory for each sales rep.
Avoid them like you would the plage!!
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 12, 2017
Took this job out of necessity! Doing everything I can to get away, far far away! Local managers are cool, from there up it's all about the numbers and bonuses! If you don't make numbers you don't get paid! If you don't get paid you still better get out and sell! All overhead is out of your pocket, fuel, vehicle, travel even your sales resources! You can make money but you need great accounts that buy slot of products and you not only have to compete against other sales reps but the company's inside sales as well. They can take your accounts away and give them to other sales reps if they feel it's best for the company! Biggest mistake I've ever made employment wise!
Pros
Great Products, Honestly some of the Best I've ever used!
Cons
Everything but the Products!
ok
Sales Representative - 40hrs/week (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 9, 2017
Ive had better management and less headaches with corporate offices. Corporate wants you to get out and sell then when you get the sales, they restrict you on almost everything.
Great people very clean
Sorter/Scanner (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 25, 2017
best job ever, i enjoyed the bosses and the employees were friendly and very helpful.loved the break room the company felt like a big family. cook outs and other activity's made the job exciting
Kimball Midwest
Shipper/Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVJanuary 6, 2017
Great employers, great people I worked with, and good benefits. Its a set schedule which is ideal for most people. Lastly, the job is pretty lax, not to vigorous for a young person looking to make some money.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No overtime
Inside Sales Manager = negligent
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  OhioNovember 8, 2016
The inside sales manager depended on my coworkers to train me. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with this, but they did 90% of my training, while he listened to podcasts in the back of the office. The manager is extremely slow and seems jaded. There is no sales training program and the job is basically catalog sales. The base pay is barely over minimum-wage and they still deduct 10% from your overall sales for that compensation. The health insurance is ridiculously expensive and the deductible is $6000 for minimal health coverage. The biggest turn off was the manager's lack of care. He allowed some staff members to come and go as they please, all while they had the best territories with the biggest accounts. This to me was a prime indication of favoritism. None of them are true sales people, nor do they know how to probe and support customers/prospects.
Pros
Monday - Friday work schedule
Cons
Low payout, poor inside sales management
No plan from top down
New territory developement (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 7, 2016
They hired me to build a legitimate territory they said, from scratch, and then told me I had to open up as many junk accounts as I could to make my numbers. Never had a real plan to give me the time to build the legit business that we talked about. Then took my salary away and made the position a commission only job. With no hope of making any real sales and making real money. Bad business plan !
Pros
Cons
going to work for them is a mistake
Great Company to work for and you can advance
Marketing Support (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 13, 2016
I worked for this company for 24 years, taking care of the external and internal customer base and sales force, as well as working side by side for different internal offices. I learned how to listen, take notes and deliver what the customers and sales force needs to help Kimball Midwest be a successful company. All management within Kimball Midwest are fantastic, they work with you not against you. The hardest part of the job: was being able to multitask at first, but your realize that in any job this is what makes you stronger and can show your abilities. Most enjoyable part of the job: Being around an awesome company the hard work pays off. The best employer and employees ever.
Pros
Family owned, employee appreciations/lunches/CEO shows his appreciation
Cons
Don't have any cons
Bad pay, good environment
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 10, 2016
Bad management and low pay but great culture and work-life balance. They have a great culture that makes everyone feel like they are a valued part of the company.
Lots of Cold Calling exciting to see area grow
Account Manger (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 5, 2016
The job requires an immense amount of self discipline, and hours work a day, tremendous amount of cold calling to be successful
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Long Hours, lot of Cold Calling, Rejection
Nice place to work
Credit/Collections Asst (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 24, 2016
Enjoyed learning more about accounting practices and working in new industry. Worked with Sales people and customers in regards to pass due invoices and payments
Enjoyable work atmosphere
Storefront Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 11, 2016
Kimball Midwest is a wonderful family owned company. They stand by their core values and treat everyone equally. The company is built around Sales Representatives, so internal people often feel left out. Overall I would suggest Kimball Midwest as a company to work for.
National Distributor of MRO Supplies
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  MaineMarch 23, 2016
Very good business model, 80% USA made products, no shipping, no minimums. Very good employee training and support program.
Lacking coordinated leadership
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 7, 2016
The leadership is tunnel visioned and only focus on immediate concerns without regard to impacts to future work situations. They are friendly but selfish when it comes interdepartmental work. The work environment was laid back were you could do you work your way to a degree. They always tried to change things in the work habits but always made the job harder and not worth it for the low pay rates.
Pros
Work cook out for good months
Cons
Poor leadership
Not new to the field..
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Chehalis, WAFebruary 29, 2016
Began with Kimball after 7 years with a competitor. It took nearly a year before I could relax and see that Kimball believes in their reps and customers. Everyone is Family. The pay is commission and your hard work reflects what you are worth. If you don't put in much....don't expect much. The best part is that after building customer relationships, your just paid to talk to friends.
Pros
Co-workers are like family. You determine your value.
Cons
If you're self motivated....its not for you.
Positive work environment. Supportive management team.
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Sahuarita, AZDecember 11, 2015
I enjoy meeting with my customers and having the satisfaction to be able to provide product and solve problems for them. When they call me for help with a project they are working on I stop what I am doing to try to get answers for them as quick as possible. They appreciate the service they receive and often comment how they are still waiting on an answer or an order from another company.

Sometimes, if I can't provide the product or we don't supply what the customer needs I feel like I have let them down.
Pros
Company is dedicated to provide quality products to its customers at a fair price, Maintains inventory. Excellent service and distribution of product
Cons
I am commission sales representative & would like to see a form of paid vacation based on production
Productive and fast pace environment
picker/packer (Former Employee) –  Hilliard, OHDecember 10, 2015
I would go to my station make sure I had everything I would need to work at a fast pace.I learned a lot about warehouse work and it was a very good work experience. I enjoyed my management they were nice understanding people. My co-workers were pleasant to work with as well. Hardest part about job was walking all through warehouse. The most enjoyable pat of the job was seeing all the work I accomplished.
Pros
We had a company cookout for doing our job so well.
Cons
Walking a lot.
Good Company to work with supportive management
MRO Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Miami-Dade County, FLNovember 24, 2015
The training and support I was able to acquire in a short time was totally excellent... very supportive and to show and tell equipment and tools ...

The only issue is that in the area I had the Company is not well know and represented, probably because of sales reps turnover ...

So lot's of issues for new reps paying for issues done in the past ...
Pros
Excellent Inventory and shipping ... product line above average
Cons
Credit Department to extrict !!! We are sales people Not bill collectors
interview
sales (Former Employee) –  oklahoma cityNovember 16, 2015
I interviewed with them they promised me they would call me back on a certain day if I get the job or not. They never did. I called them back they said they went with another rep. Very unprofessional period.
Would you like some ice cream with your pie in sky?
Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  OregonOctober 8, 2015
This company has a constant turnover and is not conducive for a professional salesperson to make a decent living. Promises, promises, promises. No existing accounts/territory as promised. Conduct your dog and pony show for an occasional biscuit!
Pros
Cons
everything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kimball Midwest. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6