Kimball Midwest Employee Reviews

Inside Sales Manager = negligent
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  OhioNovember 8, 2016
The inside sales manager depended on my coworkers to train me. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with this, but they did 90% of my training, while he listened to podcasts in the back of the office. The manager is extremely slow and seems jaded. There is no sales training program and the job is basically catalog sales. The base pay is barely over minimum-wage and they still deduct 10% from your overall sales for that compensation. The health insurance is ridiculously expensive and the deductible is $6000 for minimal health coverage. The biggest turn off was the manager's lack of care. He allowed some staff members to come and go as they please, all while they had the best territories with the biggest accounts. This to me was a prime indication of favoritism. None of them are true sales people, nor do they know how to probe and support customers/prospects.
Pros
Monday - Friday work schedule
Cons
Low payout, poor inside sales management
No plan from top down
New territory developement (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 7, 2016
They hired me to build a legitimate territory they said, from scratch, and then told me I had to open up as many junk accounts as I could to make my numbers. Never had a real plan to give me the time to build the legit business that we talked about. Then took my salary away and made the position a commission only job. With no hope of making any real sales and making real money. Bad business plan !
Pros
Cons
going to work for them is a mistake
Kimball Midwest
Shipper/Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVJanuary 6, 2017
Great employers, great people I worked with, and good benefits. Its a set schedule which is ideal for most people. Lastly, the job is pretty lax, not to vigorous for a young person looking to make some money.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No overtime
Great Company to work for and you can advance
Marketing Support (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 13, 2016
I worked for this company for 24 years, taking care of the external and internal customer base and sales force, as well as working side by side for different internal offices. I learned how to listen, take notes and deliver what the customers and sales force needs to help Kimball Midwest be a successful company. All management within Kimball Midwest are fantastic, they work with you not against you. The hardest part of the job: was being able to multitask at first, but your realize that in any job this is what makes you stronger and can show your abilities. Most enjoyable part of the job: Being around an awesome company the hard work pays off. The best employer and employees ever.
Pros
Family owned, employee appreciations/lunches/CEO shows his appreciation
Cons
Don't have any cons
Bad pay, good environment
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 10, 2016
Bad management and low pay but great culture and work-life balance. They have a great culture that makes everyone feel like they are a valued part of the company.
Lots of Cold Calling exciting to see area grow
Account Manger (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 5, 2016
The job requires an immense amount of self discipline, and hours work a day, tremendous amount of cold calling to be successful
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Long Hours, lot of Cold Calling, Rejection
nice company
customer service (Current Employee) –  savannah, gaSeptember 13, 2015
its a nice company, great work environment. not a lot of opportunities to grow, great schedule. management is great. i get to take calls and do some inventory, love my breaks and the people i work with.
Pros
great schedule
Cons
not a lot of chance to advance, healthcare benefits
Enjoyable work atmosphere
Storefront Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 11, 2016
Kimball Midwest is a wonderful family owned company. They stand by their core values and treat everyone equally. The company is built around Sales Representatives, so internal people often feel left out. Overall I would suggest Kimball Midwest as a company to work for.
fun place to work, productive place to work,
sales order entry clerk (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 10, 2012
i would key in orders per fax and phone, help walk in customers, track customers shipments. i learned alot about the uniform industry, management was outstanding, worked with a great team of coworkers, most enjoyable part of my job was being able to use my skills and expand my knowledge in the business field
Pros
n/a
Cons
healthcare benefits
Lacking coordinated leadership
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 7, 2016
The leadership is tunnel visioned and only focus on immediate concerns without regard to impacts to future work situations. They are friendly but selfish when it comes interdepartmental work. The work environment was laid back were you could do you work your way to a degree. They always tried to change things in the work habits but always made the job harder and not worth it for the low pay rates.
Pros
Work cook out for good months
Cons
Poor leadership
Nice place to work
Credit/Collections Asst (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 24, 2016
Enjoyed learning more about accounting practices and working in new industry. Worked with Sales people and customers in regards to pass due invoices and payments
Not new to the field..
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Chehalis, WAFebruary 29, 2016
Began with Kimball after 7 years with a competitor. It took nearly a year before I could relax and see that Kimball believes in their reps and customers. Everyone is Family. The pay is commission and your hard work reflects what you are worth. If you don't put in much....don't expect much. The best part is that after building customer relationships, your just paid to talk to friends.
Pros
Co-workers are like family. You determine your value.
Cons
If you're self motivated....its not for you.
Outside sales always an adventure
My title was outside sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 20, 2012
I am on the road everyday servicing old customers and finding new ones. My customers are a lot of fun. We are always offering new products. The hardest part of this position is the economy. So many customers have budget cuts.
Best part of the job is the customers
Pros
customers
Cons
no salary
Positive work environment. Supportive management team.
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Sahuarita, AZDecember 11, 2015
I enjoy meeting with my customers and having the satisfaction to be able to provide product and solve problems for them. When they call me for help with a project they are working on I stop what I am doing to try to get answers for them as quick as possible. They appreciate the service they receive and often comment how they are still waiting on an answer or an order from another company.

Sometimes, if I can't provide the product or we don't supply what the customer needs I feel like I have let them down.
Pros
Company is dedicated to provide quality products to its customers at a fair price, Maintains inventory. Excellent service and distribution of product
Cons
I am commission sales representative & would like to see a form of paid vacation based on production
Productive and fast pace environment
picker/packer (Former Employee) –  Hilliard, OHDecember 10, 2015
I would go to my station make sure I had everything I would need to work at a fast pace.I learned a lot about warehouse work and it was a very good work experience. I enjoyed my management they were nice understanding people. My co-workers were pleasant to work with as well. Hardest part about job was walking all through warehouse. The most enjoyable pat of the job was seeing all the work I accomplished.
Pros
We had a company cookout for doing our job so well.
Cons
Walking a lot.
stocker (Former Employee) –  columbus,ohMarch 2, 2013
management don't know how to run it, hire temp at low pay, work at a fast pace b/c of that, will not get a good rise, work at a unsafe place and benefits suck .
National Distributor of MRO Supplies
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  MaineMarch 23, 2016
Very good business model, 80% USA made products, no shipping, no minimums. Very good employee training and support program.
Good Company to work with supportive management
MRO Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Miami-Dade County, FLNovember 24, 2015
The training and support I was able to acquire in a short time was totally excellent... very supportive and to show and tell equipment and tools ...

The only issue is that in the area I had the Company is not well know and represented, probably because of sales reps turnover ...

So lot's of issues for new reps paying for issues done in the past ...
Pros
Excellent Inventory and shipping ... product line above average
Cons
Credit Department to extrict !!! We are sales people Not bill collectors
Antique sales model
Sales (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 9, 2015
Originally hired to develop as manager. Regional manager just wanted warm bodies to make his head count. No attention. Rudimentary training. When economy went sour regional manager had a tendency to abandon certain people he didn't care for. Pricing is not competitive.Corporate accounts focus is feckless. Sales training is 80s and 90s model with on site demos, intro pricing and quick fixes. Numerous reps hired in the same market with no effective communication of where to go and not to go. Technology is 15-20 years behind industry. YOU pay for laptops, order entry devices, samples, etc. All this being said, the most ineffective aspect of this organization is the flawed overall management model. Poor communication of basics to the sales force. No ongoing motivational effort on the local level. Clarity is lacking on so many levels.
Pros
Some support staff
Cons
Deficiencies with direct management, Regional manager, IT support, admin services, telesales interference., stumbling over other reps in same geography
This company will take your resource and effort but offer no return on your investment
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  AlabamaOctober 3, 2013
One of the worst companies I've ever worked for, their management structure offers you a couple of days fieldwork and training. You have to pay all your expenses, as well as their promotional items. There is no customer base because they turn it over to inside sales when the previous rep leaves and allow you the privilege of starting from zero. I would not recommend anyone take a sales position with this company unless your totally desperate.
Pros
Cons
Waste of your time, resource and effort.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kimball Midwest. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6