Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants Employee Reviews

Worse place to work
supervisor (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 17, 2015
Unhappy employees, bad management, high cost benefits, management don't care about no body but what ever money they can save for their bonuses
Pros
Professional management
Cons
Respect, motivation, incentives, better benefits
Great work environment with lots of energy and focus on results that fit my personality.
Regional VP Finance (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 10, 2015
Great work environment with emphasis on growth, both professionally and personally. High energy environment that centered on self leadership.

Growing company that rewarded individuals that could keep up with the fast pace. By far the most fun company I worked for with high performance colleagues that became close friends.

Focus was definitely on growth, employees and customers, with Fortune 100 Best Places to Work as a goal along with being the number 1 hospitality company in terms of customer satisfaction.

Growth brought interest from outside companies looking to purchase and that transition occurred at the start of 2015.
fun workplace
Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 8, 2015
i loved this job because everybody treated everybody like family , it has awesome benefits and even our meetings were nothing but fun and laughter
It was a very productive work experience.
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 30, 2015
I enjoyed working for the Kimpton and assisting the customers with the help needed in the rooms. It was also a good experience with customer service.
decline
Guest Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 14, 2015
decline. I do not see how this is relevant to obtaining employment else where. I decline this step in the process. Decline.
Great working there, but don't expect the compensation
Manager (Current Employee) –  D.C.October 9, 2015
I've been in hospitality management for sometime now and this company does not pay. It's understandable how small the properties are, but the executives are compensated fairly more than the others who are doing back to back shifts and staying late to cover late calls or call off, which is not handled like other hotel brands. Alot of things are swept under the rug, you will find some leaders who REALLY care about their subordinates advancing, but other leaders who are just making sure a warm body is present. Overall, if you choose comradery over pay, this is the best company to work for.

Why am I still working here? No other hotel company respects my decision to work with Kimpton. Larger hotels see Kimpton as a step back and won't hire for fear of not being able to make it anywhere else. So I'm a lil stuck... For now
Pros
Fun line associates, willing to accept anyone, great locations
Cons
Significantly short on compensation
Unprofessional Environment
Human Resources Intern (Current Employee) –  MiamiSeptember 19, 2015
At first Kimpton seems like a great company to work for but the more time I spent around the employees the more I saw how unhappy they are. Employees are constantly complaining about management, favoritism and being overworked with little pay.

I work with the Human Resources Manager she was very unorganized and did not teach or mentor very well. I was told the internship is designed to be exposed to all facets of HR however, I did not receive any guidance nor did I learn anything.

The HR manager was very unprofessional and spoke badly about all of the employees after they would leave the room. Profanity is part of the culture EVERYONE USES PROFANITY!!
Pros
Internships are good for resume' and career advancement
Cons
Professionalism, culture and unhappy employees
Great co-workers, enjoyed my experience while working there.
Sales and Service Manager / Front Desk Supervisor (Former Employee) –  ChicagoAugust 2, 2015
I found it hard to have a life balance. I do feel they do not compensate employees well there, alot of us was over worked.

I did enjoy meeting new people and working with co-workers with diverse backgrounds.
Hoola-hoop contests are the norm...enough said!
Reservation Specialist (Current Employee) –  San DiegoJuly 12, 2015
If you are looking for a fun/diverse work environment in the hospitality industry, Kimpton is top notch. The only con of working for this up and coming boutique hotel chain is depending on which department you work in, you will only be compensated for probably 60-70% of the 110% of work/effort you put into your position. Stereotypical of the business world, however, it makes it hard to want to stay long-term which is heartbreaking because you will inevitably love everyone you work with.
Average
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 22, 2015
A typical day at work is routine
I have not learned anything that I did not know other than the systems they used
Management has they're favorites, they have gotten very little management training
I have great co-workers
When someone leave and they do not find anyone to assist in a reasonable amount of time
There is not enjoyable about my job because I am not learning.
A great company to work for
Accounting Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 23, 2015
I learned so much from my position at Kimpton about not only managing staff but also on how to keep a hotel financially successful. I was part of a 3 person accounting team, where I was responsible for providing all of our financial documents and reports to our ownership as well as our corporate office in San Francisco.
Pros
great staff, monthly lunches, benfits
Cons
work life balance
Great company - easy to see why it's #11 on Forbes
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  San franciscoMarch 22, 2015
I love working here and it is easily the best Hotel company to work for in the USA. They treat their employees right, celebrate successes and it is genuinely a really fun place to work. Kimpton is the best!
Pros
career advancement, fun workplace, recognition
Cons
company is in a stage of transition with ihg
management worker maintenance security
hospitality service security and doorman (Former Employee) –  newyork manhathan brooklynJanuary 14, 2015
Maintenance general concierge hospitalityliguages
Spanish italian french and moore
Pros
launches
Cons
health care copete clean
Fun place until it's NOT
Hostess / Cocktail Server (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 13, 2015
Once the pretty little glitter cover that the company puts over your head at orientation comes off. Kimpton is full of lies and false advertisement. The company advertises work-life balance and employee empowerment to name a few. Management needs their hands in everything and definitely DOES NOT allow employee empowerment. They get upset if you're one minute over your 30-minute break. Hello there's 250+/- employee's and only one employee elevator! Management also gets upset when employees take it upon themselves to buy a customer a drink/appetizer due to long wait times either at the bar or in the kitchen. REALLY? Customers pay for the food and Kimpton pays to keep them there. It's just how it works. Does anyone have a time machine? So I can take the last 3 years of my life back that I gave to this black hole of a company.
Pros
location, co-workers
Cons
management, false advertisement, extreme micromanagement
Very fun community
Social Media Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAOctober 28, 2014
Kimpton has been a great employer. I've learned a great deal about daily operations in a large scale hospitality company.

Since Kimpton is a client of the company I am employed by, not all of the excellent benefits and corporate community aspects are available to me.

The best part of this job is knowing we are engaging directly with guests and often times being the first line of defense when there is an issue. We often receive responses from guests who've had an issue resolved and knowing you've made someone's day a little better is one of the best parts of the job.
Pros
excellent atmosphere
Cons
healthcare
Good Company, but no balance
Assistant Guest Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 26, 2014
I worked with Kimpton Hotels for nearly 3 years. I advanced very quickly into a management position, but unfortunately it became stagnant after 2.5 years, and I felt it was time to move on.

The management team had a really great set of benefits that was sad to leave, and my team was really fun to work with.

Kimpton claims to really promote Work/Life balance, but I did not feel that was the case at my property. Often times I was told to cancel important personal plans for work reasons, and if there was ever a time I didn't answer a call on a day off, or even just an email, I was given a "talk to".
Pros
benefits, co-workers
Cons
no balance between work and personal life
FLOOR MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 23, 2014
There is no typical day and that's half the fun. The company is completely invested in developing folks from with in and the culture is amazing.
Great place to work!
Accountant - Accounts Receivable/Income Audit (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 19, 2014
'Kimpton' can be synonymous with always looking at that "next step". The company's success is greatly attributed to hotels and restaurants staffed with happy and motivated employees who go above and beyond simply because they want to. Sure, you'll work long days at times (in accounting, count on it during month-end closing) but there's always a bigger purpose to what you're doing. You learn *a lot* working at a Kimpton Hotel.
Pros
awesome work environment
Cons
staffing can be spread pretty thin
Encourages growth and self discovery
supervisor (Current Employee) –  los angelesJune 9, 2014
The company supports diversity and strives to encourage hospitality by any means possible.
Pros
discounted hotel rates
Cons
limited locations
An excellent place to work for!
Intern (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 21, 2014
I felt very welcome by the team when I came here for my internship. Very well managed for most departments, and those that lacked received help from everyone.

I learned a lot during my time here: From all the paperwork for New Hires (I-9, EEO, Background Checks, W4, PAR, etc.), organizing events, gathering contact information to send out job postings and recruiting, what to look for in potential candidates/interviewees, and much more.

Great managers and HR team!

Best part of working there was the whole learning experience to be honest.

Hardest part was trying to get things done in a timely manner when everything just kept piling up. But still, things got done!
Pros
free parking (for interns) and free food
Cons
unpaid internship