Kinder Morgan Employee Reviews

Great Company
Machinist/ Turbocharger Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, CONovember 16, 2017
Kinder Morgan is a diverse company with lots of opportunity for a great career. The culture is all about safety and moving natural gas thru the pipeline. Management is hard working and always looking out for the companies and employees best interest.
Pros
Great Career
poor management
Senior Tax Accountant (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, CONovember 16, 2017
It was a difficult environment to work in as the tax director was not invested in the process and left most of the work to the senior manager who did not communicate well to the staff.
Pros
nice campus
Cons
bad management
Excellent place to work
Safety Specialist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 11, 2017
I enjoyed my employment with Kinder Morgan. I opted to take retirement rather the end of last year and pursue new interests. It was a good pace to work but I grew tired of the corporate red-tape. We were purchased twice in 10 years. That added to the over all stress of multiple changes.
Pros
Good career
Cons
Corporate red-tape
Opportunity
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Watford City, NDNovember 9, 2017
This was a great experience. Everyone I worked with was helpful and great to work with. I was treated with the most respect being I was the only woman on this job. When trucks came in all my bosses helped me to ensure every item was there. I very much loved my job and the people I worked with.
Pros
money, experience and working with great bosses
Cons
They expect you to succeed with no training
PLANT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Alexander, NDOctober 25, 2017
Natural gas processing plant, lots to learn, but you are on your own as far as learning all the processes, whether out in the plant or on the control board. There is no organized training, no taking operators out in the plant to show them how things run, or how different equipment plays into the process.
Those who want to try to learn can teach themselves some things, and ask questions, but this is a very dangerous way to run a gas plant and has lent itself to a trend of near-misses over the past several years-some involving equipment problems or spills and releases, and some involving personal injury.

About two months ago, there was a fire that caused injury to an employee. This was caused by the employee. The plant had to be shut down, and an OSHA inspector came to investigate. Kinder kept the plant closed for another 3-4 days for their own investigation.
This plant is a Process Safety Management facility and has focused on training its employees on how to follow those rules, and complete the required paperwork when necessary. The management here,however has tried to use PSM and the paperwork to replace the training that they lack. There are still plant operators who have been here 2-3 years who do not know the hazards of each vessel, chemicals that may be present, or how key systems or processes in the plant work.
It would make sense that the company would start spending some time training its operators, for obvious safety reasons.
On the up side, the 8/6 schedule was very good- you can go almost anywhere on your
  more... days off without taking vacation days.
The insurance and other benefits were excellent also.
But your lack of training and/or job knowledge could lead to the next incident, and you could get seriously hurt or maybe be their fall guy when the system fails again.
Pros
Work schedule, benefits
Cons
no training and nothing but excuses from management about it
Great work
ASST. Chief/Coating inspector/Vendor surveillance (Former Employee) –  Derwent, OHOctober 20, 2017
Company treats its employees very well. Work was relaxed and well organized. Could not ask for a better place to work! Upper management is willing to work along side you to work through any (bumps) you may happen to run into throughout the scheduled jobs.
Pros
Everything.
Cons
Cannot complain.
lots off work
Maintenance electrician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 18, 2017
one thing about working here you sure are going to work lots of hours and if you are on call you better be ready for anything the people are great but you sure will get dirty
Pros
lots of Ot
Cons
lots of OT
Excellent Work Place
Insurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 12, 2017
An extremely high energy desk. Multi-tasked in all areas. Became a licensed adjuster. It has a neutral culture. Good feeling completing daily tasks. Highly recommended.
Pros
Free coffee/tea
good company
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ozona, TXOctober 10, 2017
I liked the company but the advancement opportunities were limited as well as pay increases based on performance. The company as a whole is stable and they offer good benifits
No room for advancement, great stepping stone company
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Argo, ILOctober 9, 2017
Customer Service Manager is the biggest micro manager I have ever worked for. she tries to manage everyone deparment. Pay is great!!!! If you are looking to move up in this company, look elsewhere. HR is a joke, and yes i am a current employee. Like i said it pays well. I work my shift and overtime. I get in my new car and drive to my beautiful house.
Pros
Paid lunch, lots of overtime
Cons
no life out side of work, management will intentionally hold you back in the company
not too bad
Stevedore/Longshoreman (Former Employee) –  Fairless Hills, PAOctober 8, 2017
will train you in any job you are able to win a bid for and equipment training is open for everyone as they advance through time served.
endless work weeks at times.
Pros
training for everything
Cons
long work weeks
Great crew
Terminal Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXOctober 5, 2017
The crews were fantastic but there was no time off we worked 24/7 and if you were not working you were on-call. The crews did not complain because they were making a lot of overtime. We ran lean but always got the job done. I was able to hire a few extra operators to give a set schedule so that people could have some time off.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
no work-life balance
Management Team is not equipped for their role
Manager (Former Employee) –  NJOctober 3, 2017
Instead of forging mutually beneficial relationships with customers, the management team is afraid of customers (for good reason) and fails to emplace structure that protects the business while also delivering great service.
Pros
some of the people
Cons
mgmt. team is in over their heads
Stressful but rewarding company
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Galena Park, TXOctober 2, 2017
Work consists of coming in early to prep for the day. Scheduling jobs and working with my subordinates to accomplish daily tasks while continuing to assist any last minute items.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Restricted career
Learning to properly unload, and load railcars. Liquid, and boxed cars as well as tankers.
Transloader (Former Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLOctober 2, 2017
Dealing with the labour, and learning was an experience. Dealing with the consistency between loads was enough to have and be satisfied with however the management was never interested in fair
Pros
Consistency in loading, and duties throughout the day.
Cons
Supervisor didn't pull his weight.
very stressful
Operator/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXSeptember 25, 2017
not a very safety oriented company, lots of shortcuts are taken, management doesn't seem to know a lot about the work we do, seems very stressful here every day
Great place to start your career
Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 24, 2017
Look elsewhere first. If you are lucky enough to get in good with a manager or director, you are golden. When you start your job at Kendall Morgan, keep your mouth shut and listen. They don't like know it alls!
Pros
Benefits are great
Cons
Politics and kissing butt is more important than knowledge
Typical large midstream company
GIS Specialist / Contracting through West Burchell (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 21, 2017
I had a good experience at Kinder Morgan.
Nothing special about the company, just average typical 9 to 5 work environment.
Very nice people that i was able to work with.
Good team environment
Senior Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COSeptember 16, 2017
Positive people to work with
Good Benefits
Flexible schedules/can often accommodate flexibility for individuals
Technology & building maintenance teams always accessible
Pros
Interesting work/energy industry
Cons
Can't think of any
Project Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Carteret, NJSeptember 15, 2017
Learn a ton about Project Management. Project Managers and Upper Management are great to work with. Challenging work, but very knowledgeable team to help out.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kinder Morgan. Our community is ready to answer.