KinderCare Education Employee Reviews

inconsistency is constant
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 17, 2017
fast paced and constantly changing to fit business needs, thus a constant fear of layoffs is part of the daily norm.

for an education company you would think that development and training would be a priority, however. the only time you get training is for state required compliance and development is trial by error.
Pros
childcare discount, collaboration with other teams
Cons
no development or training offered
Kindercare
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHDecember 16, 2017
Understaffed--So everyone is overworked. Can't take a day off without feeling like you're making everyone else work three times as hard. Stressful environment made worse from bad kids and difficult parents.
Pros
good pay
Awful
Teacher (Former Employee) –  WisconsinDecember 9, 2017
Management was awful, lack of communication, favoritism, no real benefits, demanding.. just awful. Lack of training, no real activity planning, forced breaks, look elsewhere!
5 year employee
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VADecember 6, 2017
I've been employed with this company now for 5 years. I have been in a few, very good centers, they are out there. The majority of the time I have been in ones I would never even dream of enrolling my child in. There is little to no room for advancement, you are paid minimum for maximum work, and the caddy drama is insane. Bad management and poor scheduling. Finding a schedule that allows you to work 40 hours a week is nonexistent. I have been actively searching for a new career path for the past year.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Having to go there everyday.
Many aspects of working with Kindercare Education were good. Upper management was inadequate and unprofessional.
Management (Former Employee) –  TexasDecember 5, 2017
Working with schools, site staff, and families was great. There were many unprofessional and unethical decisions and work being done by upper management and when reported to corporate for assistance and to help foster improvement, staff members were harassed and mistreated as well as pressured.

Strong and dedicated staff were not recognized and many resigned due unchecked upper management issues and treatment.

There needs to be better 'checks and balances' at local and regional levels to ensure staff treatment and retention is adequate. Remote and long distance personnel was supportive and strong but regional management was inadequate.
Pros
Corporate Level Support Personnel; Benefits
Cons
Treatment by Management; Obvious Nepotism at Local Levels
Never work here
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PADecember 5, 2017
Sad to say this place doesn't care about the kids. I don't care about if they like the employees or not. they have no regard for the children that come here they are nothing more than $$$
Pros
Cons
everything
Awful management, awful place to work overall
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Sharon, MADecember 3, 2017
Awful place to work overall... management would be at the top of the list for the worst... No structure whatsoever, management has no control of the place... constant lies, staff is unsafe, irresponsible. Working at kindercare is like being in high school all over again. Negative environment and the staff is NOT good to the children. I wouldn’t recommend working here nor allowing a child to go here!
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Pay, management, staff, safety
Face paced and chaotic
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIDecember 2, 2017
I left KinderCare with lots of new knowledge and self growth as an individual. I do not have regrets working here, just will never work in child care again.
Pros
fun with kids, laugh all day
Cons
co workers, boss
Do not bother not worth it
Assistant Preschool Teacher (Current Employee) –  PANovember 30, 2017
Waiste of time, bad management. Liars tell you work full time and get. Less then 32 hours. Dirty cluttered no cleaning staff. Shows favorites to some and if your not on that list you get a bad schedule. Unorganized. I wish I could have quit another job for this.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Unorganized
Toddler lead teacher
Toddler Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PANovember 29, 2017
I was at my center for 8 years. I saw a lot of staff turnover. We were out of ratio constantly and didn’t have enough staff so we had to stay past our shift! It is a very stressful place to work. Stay away!
Worst Center Ever
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rock Island, ILNovember 25, 2017
Kindercare was the absolute worst place I’ve ever worked in my life. I’ve been in childcare for over nine years professionally and I’ve never experienced a place like this.
If you’re looking for a job in childcare, look elsewhere and run for the hills.
This place will overwork you, cut your overtime every week if you manage to even get any, lie to your face and just tell you what you want to hear without actually doing what you were told they would do for you, stress you out because they don’t care about their employees unless your part of a Center clique or you’re management who does whatever they want. Kindercare is NOT about the children; they are about stuffing their pockets with money and blaming everyone else for their issues when things go wrong instead of taking responsibility and listening to staff when they make suggestions of what could make things better.
Pros
Cons
Terrible management, long days, overtime is taken away, cliquey, decieving, not about the children, dirty
Good for a single person with no family
Center Director (Former Employee) –  MissouriNovember 8, 2017
Comeradarie between centers is ok. Staff are stressed because of high turnover in all positions. I did learn a lot from a corporation that I can adapt and apply where I am now but prefer a non-profit/privately owned center. Most enjoyable is building relationships with staff and families. Hardest part of the job is holding families accountable for the high tuition fees.
benefits
Cons
expectation for long work days
Professional and Friendly Work Environment
Operations Business Partner (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 8, 2017
Company is committed to 'doing the right thing.'
Lots of organizational change during the process of realizing its vision. Does not always hire the right talent in top roles, resulting in more turnover than necessary and frequent reporting changes for staff. Colleagues are friendly, good work/life balance.
Pros
Good work/life balance, Friendly environment
Cons
Constant Organizational Change, Vacation policy
Failing children and staff with understaffed schools
Assistant D (Current Employee) –  Chester County, PANovember 8, 2017
As an Early Childhood Professional, I was excited to see if there had been any changes to the climate of KinderCare. Having worked with them over 15 years ago, I anticipated many positive new changes as I recently accepted a position as an Assistant Director.

Unfortunately, the climate of this company is the same. They care less and less about the children, families and staff each day. They demonstrate this by their direct pressure to cut staff hours on a week to week basis and run a "bare bones" staff. This hurts the staff by encouraging turn over. Early Childhood is one of the lowest paid industry and teachers cannot rely on having consistent hours. Additionally, running a school at the bare minimum cause the likelihood of mistakes and is not what is best for the children we care for.

Failing children and staff with understaffed schools.
Pros
Child care cost for employees is affordable.
Cons
Unreliable hours, stressful, out of ratio, vacation days only after a year of work.
Management clique, terrible communication
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  South Park, PANovember 5, 2017
The South Park Center is made up of a management “team” that is only worried about themselves. The CD, AD and program specialist are a clique, constantly bad mouthing other staff. The scheduling is inconsistent, and requesting off is a nightmare. Unless your management, you can take off whenever you want. The director can’t show up on time, and is constantly an hour-hour and a half late, when she’s supposed to start a 9:30am. Working there is even more difficult if you’re a parent. Staff children are forced to stay if they fall ill, which also spreads the germs.
Pros
Some friendships
Cons
Stress
Support for Upper Management Needed
Center Director (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 2, 2017
Company focuses on engagement for children, families and teachers (in that specific order). Upper management don't receive much support especially on District Leader level. Although center directors were able to create (or do their best)the direction of the culture, high expectations placed on them were way to steep and unattainable.

Some centers are better than others. Lacked work-life balance.
Terrible treatment of employees
Employee (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 27, 2017
Terrible place to work in terms of management's treatment of it's employees. Leaders claim of focus is on employee engagement. This couldn't be further from the truth.
I agree with previous reviews
Pre-Kindergarten Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WAOctober 26, 2017
I worked there for almost 4 years and I only got one raise.
Loved the kids and families.
But had to leave do to the stress and anguish that the management and staff pout me through.
I was able to work in every classroom knew all the kids, siblings, parents and other relatives.
I was horribly underappreciated.
I was very sad to leave the Children and Families.
Pros
Amazing families
Cons
Management, special treatment, gossip, false pretenses on benefits getting more education, raises
Students and Teachers were not the center of attention
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAOctober 19, 2017
Management was poor; if you complain you get what you want; hard-workers underappreciated while people on their cell phones all the time get paid more. Children are not given curriculum necessary and staff members gossip behind your back, especially management. Parent's are lied to and teachers are blamed by management when things don't go smoothly when it is their fault for poor implementation.
Pros
children; families
Cons
minimal break times, long hours, gossip central, under-appreciation for people who have degrees and want to teach
Its an okay place to work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJOctober 4, 2017
The place is very clique-y. It'd possible to work and do your job but the preferential treatment of the friends and on staff family members of the management gets a bit crazy. Management allows her friends to go run errands on the clock. If you can do your job and ignore the ridiculousness it's a decent job. Once a year raises of like $0.20 if you get a good evaluation. It's not the worse and it's not the best. That's why there is such a lot of turnover (students and staff). Not a place you can retire from though, the benefits aren't that good.
Pros
Kids
Cons
Healthcare didn't cover much.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at KinderCare Education. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8