King's Daughters Medical Center Employee Reviews

the culture is atrochrous
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYJune 7, 2017
just a horrible experience
I do not feel comfortable writing anything about anything I just want to apply for this job and be finished. I am having a hard time believing that I have to relive nightmares.
very short staffed
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYMarch 2, 2017
nurse to patient ratio can be a bit unsafe at times.

The atmosphere is oppressive, as most are unhappy and overworked. The turn over rate is very high.
Pros
comparable pay
Cons
sometimes no time for break or lunch, not enough staff
They only hire new iinexperiend nurses because they had lower payscale.
LPN, MedSurg (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYNovember 3, 2016
I loved working there with my crew. Awesome group of great nurses both lpn and rn. Fred got bored and changed Nurse Mgrs 3 times in 2 yrs.
The reason i left was actually because of a bad fall and was broken. But i wouldnt work for that nurse mgr again if they paid me in gold.
They let yyounger inexperienced nurses come in and most of us have left. They forced some off the unit and stuff while i was laid up. I missed the cut by 1yr of my tenure. Many brilliant employees got tossed by Fred and his bunch of high paid a kissers. So when i recovered i put in my notice and left. This same notice which was convenienty lost.
It changed. Its the Monster Eating Ashland.......
Pros
Insurance ok. Nurses and Cmts and other techs are mostly phenomenol
Cons
Everything is now a con.
Far cry from what it used to be!
support staff in ICU most of my 7 years there (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYDecember 1, 2015
Once Upon a time, if you were a hard worker with serious work ethics, this WAS the place to be. They found a niche in the medical field of GI and cardio vascular. KDMC expanded to fast in to many directions. Obama Care came around and destroyed healthcare. Upper management scrambled to figure out how to cover their assets and got caught with both of their hands in the proverbial cookie jar. Fred and his cronies, took no responsibility for the shortcomings and took the money and ran. While blatantly lying to the loyal workers, making promise after promise and breaking them. Each year from 2009 on became more and more hostile, and everyone feared they were the next one on the chopping block. Every perk that we the workers the people who earned them their money to line there pockets with was systematically removed, up to and including pay for performance cost of living adjustments. We would keep hearing of the multimillion dollar bonuses the suites were getting across the street as we were being striped. The who knows who, and who goes to church or private school with whose kids was very obvious at KDMC in the later years. As KDMC got caught up by the DOJ, and other regulatory departments of the government they laid the blame on the doctors that worked the hardest for them. when I worked in ICU a 24 bed unit we were full everyday and night we would even have to make provisions to open beds back up in the old unit. making it a 34 bed unit from late Sept. to early April. now if they can keep 10-12 beds full they are busy. CVICU used to do 2-3 Open Hearts or lung surgery's every day  more... and even 1-2 during the weekend. now 3 a week is big business. Stay away from KDMC till it figures out its problems. it will take this hospital another good 6-10 years to get back on its feet with it's new leaders at the helm. There are still many talented Doctors, RN's, LPN's, CMT's Housekeeping, and many other technicians, and support staff that care about the patients at KDMC.  less
Pros
Good folks to call your work family, all the other pros have been taken away.
Cons
Hostile work enviroment, middle and upper managment stressed, grew to fast
Can be stressful with some supervisors
Financial Counselor (Current Employee) –  Ashland, KYSeptember 24, 2015
I enjoy working with patients and helping in any way I can. I have learned to work under pressure with this position. It can be difficult at times depending on some supervisors. Can be a challenge with differences are made between co workers. Short training then out in front of the public can be daunting. There is a lot change with this position. Upper management doing a good job bringing revenue up.
Pros
good benefits, good pay, conveinent cafeteria and meal options
Cons
Lack of close parking, lack of communication from supervisors, favoritism.
Great staff/poor admistrative managers
Tech aid (Former Employee) –  Ashland kySeptember 4, 2015
I was employed there for 30 years and was layed off due to reduction in work force. They gave me 3 weeks of insurance and 4 weeks pay... I lost over 600 sick hours and my unemployment was only about half my salary. Sad package for that many years. Not the same place and I feel due to the fraud there I lost my job. I do not wish that on anyone.
Cons
Poor management/ no pay raises
It was an honor and a pleasure to work at King's Daughters Medical Center.
Quality Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYApril 17, 2015
I worked at KDMC for nearly 40 years, in positions that were increasingly complex and rewarding. The people I worked with were professional, genuine, caring, and gifted individuals. I learned that honesty is essential in all relationships; that mutual trust allows for innovation. I was blessed with a boss who did the right thing,every time, no matter what, according to our shared priorities. We were nurses first and out patients were our sacred trust. As we grew and developed into more administrative positions, the patient-centeredness belief is what kept us on track. The hardest job I did there was starting the heart and vascular research program. I had never worked in a Cath Lab, and never done research. But we achieved international status as the 30th highest enrollers in the world for the ACUITY trial. Everything I did at KDMC was rewarding in some way. Direct patient care was the most valuable thing I think I did. Managing drug and device research projects was rewarding when I could contact patients during annual follow up and tell them that by participating in our research projects, they had given us data we could use to improve care for others.
Pros
Shared vision
good pay bad atmosphere
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Brookhaven, MSMarch 12, 2015
Your schedule is 7 days on and 7 days off. 7 12 hour shifts aren't easy. You are hired as fulltime but are not told that you are more than likely to be called off 1 or 2 days during your shift. So you end up not getting fulltime hours. Management does a good job at upselling their facility but it's not all true. I primarily have worked in an icu environment and was told that that their icu was busy, far from the truth.The cardiopulmonary might as well be self run. The direct supervisor had no respiratory experience and was only the administrative assistant for the nursing officer. The majority of the coworkers make you feel like an outsider and an uncomfortable working atmosphere.
Great place for the short term
Echo Tech (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYDecember 29, 2014
KDMC used to be a wonderful place to work but it has gone downhill over the years. The people are friendly but management is poor. Has been investigated for fraud. No job security as layoffs occur frequently. Benefits have been cut, no raises and moral is low. I would recommend it as a place to be for a few years but don't plan on retirement here. Long-term employees often get laid off before being able to retire.
Pros
Friendly people, low stress, nice facility
Cons
unstable, poor management, low pay/benefits
they dont car about there employees
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Ashland KyDecember 23, 2014
I worked there for seven years as a security officer. I am know unemployed do to my own decision for unsafe working condition and not a enough staff to be able to do this job in a safe manor upper management only care for there self if you have family and wont to spend time with them this company dosn"t care was told I was there to work NOT to have a family life I could go on about how bad this place is but I wont all I can say glad I don t work there any more
Pros
Cant think of any the insurance suck a very stressfull invriment
A place in my heart
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Ashland, KYOctober 11, 2014
King's Daughters Medical Center is overcoming many obstacles the facility has faced the past several years. I will always speak well of this hospital and I believe in their mission. However I am looking for a new experience.
Pros
A beautiful facility to work in
Cons
high turnover
It's a descent place to work overall
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Brookhaven, MSJuly 28, 2014
a typical work night for me was pretty laid back. I had a team of nurses who didn't mind helping when I needed help or advice. It was a quiet environment with minimal distractions. I learned how to give outstanding care to surgical patients and occasionally medical patients. my co-workers on nights were awesome. They were fun to work with and I could also depend on them when the going got tough. I really can not say that there was a hard part to my job. Other than having a lack of supplies at times and not being able to contact physicians in a timely manner, everything was pretty much taken care of. I will say that time management was stressful at times when the patient load and need of patient was high in demand. The thing I loved most about my job was the team I worked with. They were dependable. The night shift on the surgical floor where I worked was really enjoyable.
Pros
really laxed and friendly environment
Cons
lacked supplies at times and that could be stressful
lost job due to reduction in work force after 18 years of employment
Clinical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KyJuly 10, 2014
Used to be a great place to work. Planned to retire from there. Very poor culture
Pros
good team
Cons
Poor culture
Good job but stressful
Registration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brookhaven, MSJune 2, 2014
This was a good employer, but difficult to work for. Job is fast paced. Multi-tasking ability a must.
Pros
Employees get discount on medical in their facilities
Cons
Insurance does not pay well outside of their facilities
Stressful Environment
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Ashland, KYMay 5, 2014
Kings Daughters management seems to not want to work with their employees and keep them happy.

New management has recently entered my department that has had some positive influence on the department and I hope for more to come.

A typical day at work consists of many different activities and tasks and overloading of work on the employees.

Work most of the time is stressful and fast paced

Job Work/Life Balance is horrible if you work evening shift.

Hardest part of the job is doing catch up work plus your own work.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Department management
Open to change and suggestions
Patient Information & Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Ashland, KYMay 4, 2014
Even though it is a large company, KDMC cares about their team members' input and opinions.
Lacking
Health Administration Patient Office Coordination (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYFebruary 7, 2014
King's Daughters used to be a fun place for employment; however, during the years employee moral faltered because of the lack of leadership skills provided by management.
A place were the people are nice and good to work with.
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYNovember 25, 2013
A typical day started out with finding where you were assigned to and what needed to be done. Co-workers were friendly and would try to do what they could to help each other out. Management would try to accommodate everyone as best as possible without interfering with work flow. Helping people that needed help was by and far the most enjoyable part of the job to me and is why I entered this field in the first place. Ironically, it's also the hardest part of the job at times since you really don't know what you're up against until it happening. What you learn from working here though is how to quickly adapt to any situation and how to think on your feet when needed to.
Pros
Nice facility, good co-workers, surrounding area is nice
Great nurses and physicians. Support staff of EMTs, Environmental services, and volunteers continuously makes work day run smoothly
Adult Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYNovember 18, 2013
King's Daughters Medical Center was the right choice for me as a new nurse as this organization has a wonderful learning and organizational department that fosters new nurses. I began my career as a new graduate nurse working in their intensive care unit. Flexible 12 hour shift scheduling made it easy to continue my education. KDMC further fostered my nursing career by selecting me as a nurse associate to the Nurse Practitioners and physicians within the Heart and Vascular Center and the Centers for Advanced Care. I enjoyed most working with the physicians and rounding on the patients with them. I enjoyed building relationships with the patients and their families. The thing I will miss most about this job is the people I met there: patients, families, and staff.
Pros
tuition reimbursement, paid time off, health care insurance
Cons
Asked to use vacation time in order to make a full 40 hour week at least once per month
Excellent facility to advance and grow in my nursing career.
RN, MSN, Quality Reviewer (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYOctober 2, 2013
The year 2013 found that a typical day included review of current patient's EMR (approximately 40 per day Monday-Friday) for documentation compliance to/with core measures.
A list was created of noncompliant or failing measures (as well as 'at a boys' for compliance) which was in turn emailed or called to the nurse manager & charge nurse. Physical rounds were made as needed for monitoring compliance to facitly guidelines. An EXCEL program was used for most of the documentation which allowed for an ongoing tracking of compliance or lack of compliance. I became fairly profient at the EXCEL program.
I worked with a great group of women who were thoughtful, caring & helpful. We had to cover each other's unit(s) for Core Measure compliance when we had days off.
I was also responsible for JACHO required physician & AHP OPPE, so the afternoon found me working to collect data for these reports or doing data abstraction & enty for the AICDs to the NCDR database.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the feeling of accomplishment that came over me when I completed a report for the month or a data submission for the quarter.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Insecure work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at King's Daughters Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

2.1