King County Library System Employee Reviews

Going Downhill
Page (Current Employee) –  King County, WAAugust 23, 2017
I thought this place would be better than the mega corporations I've worked for in the past. It's not. King County Library System is run exactly like a greedy multi-national corporation. Senior management actively works against the best interest of its employees.

Most of my co-workers were great, while others were bossy and controlling.

When you ask members of the management team or HR (which almost never responds or takes at least 6 months) for explanations, you can expect vague and nonsensical responses. This isn't good when major policy changes happen and the administration fails to even announce it formally.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Rare full time positions, little room for growth or advancement, terrible upper level administration
easy work, need more hours
Page (Current Employee) –  Preston, WAJune 20, 2017
Job is easy, repetitive, laid back culture. Company prevents pages from working more than 15 hours a week. There's little if any room for advancement.
Pros
easy work
Cons
few hours
Good place to work with providing communities with information
Director of Facilities Management Services (Current Employee) –  Issaquah, WAMay 1, 2017
Great place to work. Provide good information to the communities. Good benefits. Diverse work force. Strong customer service skills. Hours can be flexible.
Quiet and individual work at own pace
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAApril 26, 2017
on a daily basis i would shelved holds for patrons to pick up. Pull patron holds off the shelves, and assist librarians with programs. I would also log hours online and provided other support as needed. I learned how to communicate with the diversity of people that came in everyday. I worked professionally and effectively, and respected my coworkers. I would say the hardest part of the job was that it was time consuming and tiring because my role required that I stand up all day. However the most enjoyable part of my role was that I got to find new books to read on my spare time.
Pros
long breaks, quiet, worked at own pace
Positive and encouraging staff with a passion for books and people.
Library Page (Current Employee) –  White Center, WANovember 15, 2016
This is a great place for work if you like variety, organizing, and problem-solving. I take pride in knowing how appreciated I am for my dependability.
Pros
Everybody's devotion to service and quality work.
Cons
Pages aren't allowed to work 20 hours per week. No benefits.
Library Technical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJuly 12, 2016
Love working at the King County Library it has been a wonderful experience. I do wish the community would really partner with us more. We have so many free resources.
Cons
A lot of the transient population tend to congregate in the library.
From a non- employee!
Future Librarian (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 25, 2016
I've been trying to get a job here for over a year. I'm a former collection development librarian with 12+ years of management experience. But the interview and communication I've had has been good enough I want to review for anyone else trying to work there. Like any library, jobs are few and far between, and getting even an interview is tough. They demand excellence which is how they stay top notch. But also like other libraries they seem impenetrable from the outside. More than a year since working in a library and I feel anxious, but I'll continue to try based on how welcoming they've seemed despite the usual library coldness. I'm a bit upset to read from others above that they give training, when in all honesty training should not be necessary when hiring experienced librarians at this pay rate. To all others trying, good luck!
Pros
Great system, friendly staff
Cons
Seemingly inpossible to get interviews
Great work environment and great management
Library Page (Current Employee) –  Preston, WAApril 1, 2016
Great place to work. There are people there who will help you learn when you start, all you have to do is ask. The managers at Preston are very easy to work with and culture a safe and enjoyable environment.
I set my own pace
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMarch 21, 2016
The money was excellent. I worked at night by myself. I filled out my own time card. I ate lunch whenever I got ready. I had the keys to my Job location. It didn't matter too much when I got there, as long as my work was done in the morning. I liked that part of the job.
The best twelve years of my life.
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Issaquah, WAMarch 13, 2016
Wonderful growth experience, as well as intellectually and culturally rewarding ... good balance of physical and mental activity ... particularly rewarding was solving problems arising from patron interaction, and also assisting senior citizens and ESL patrons, so that they can overcome mental blocks and thus derive more fulfillment from their neighborhood library.
Pros
Patron interaction
Cons
Lifting and pushing heavy boxes.
Worked as the facility mgr for 48 public libraries
Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Issaquah, WAFebruary 9, 2016
Managed work request, responded to emergencies as needed, managed work load, oversaw contracted services as HVAC, landscaping, janitorial, etc. put specifications out to bid for capitol expenditures, such as roof replacement, HVAC equipment change outs, painting exteriors of buildings, sidewalk replacements, parking lot overlays, restriping parking lots, etc.
I love being surrounded by information weather it's in books or in the computer.
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Federal Way, WAJuly 13, 2015
I volunteer here, because I love helping people to gain knowledge, whether they want to improve their life or professional skills.Would you like to know the #1 reason why do I like volunteering here?
I meet with people from all diversity.
Cultured, Service-Oriented and Creative
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WaJuly 7, 2015
A typical day with working for the King County Library System could be from setting up for a large community event with local artists playing, entering items into the computer database, processing incoming items in the back room, assisting the Children's librarian or Teen Librarian with creating artistic displays for the lobby entrance, or creating decorations for events.
Pros
Open communication
Cons
short breaks
Interesting and exciting place to work
Adult and Teen Services Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Issaquah, WAFebruary 28, 2015
While a Program Assistant my primary duties involved keeping track of the budget, writing up and sending out performer contracts, and general assisting the Adult Services Coordinator and the Teen Services Coordinator with any and all needs. Box and ship materials as needed to library branches as well as field and answer questions in the form of phone calls and emails.
A wonderful place where people attend to advance their knowledge
Study Zone Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Auburn, WADecember 5, 2014
A typical day at work included setting up tutoring area, and patiently waiting until students would arrive asking for help on their homework. What I learned was that tutoring others can be a blessing, especially students in primary school. Management did a great job of providing assistance by answering questions I wasn't too sure about. My co-workers were always friendly, and understood well where all the books were. The hardest part of the job was trying to pass the time when there weren't any people needing tutoring. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching students understand the material and acknowledge the importance of education for their future.
Pros
Nice, relaxing breakroom
Cons
When the study zone area is slow
love working here.
Page Fellow (Current Employee) –  Burien, WADecember 4, 2014
While the patrons can be difficult to deal with, staff is excellent and the training provided for you really helps you ease into you're position.
Pros
Great Staff, Excellent Training, Great Pay.
Cons
It takes some time to move up, If you don't pass you're interview for the next position you have to wait 6 months to re apply.
Great work environment
Page (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Preston, WaOctober 16, 2014
I love that I work for a non-profit that does great things for the public. My co-workers and supervisors are positive and supportive.
Arranged and shelved books and mediaOrganized periodicals
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJuly 2, 2014
my typical day at work was to Sorts, files and shelves materials according to classification system.Shelf reading and general pick-up.
ƒ Locates materials on hold and trace lists. Assists in the emptying of Book drops. Prepares materials for delivery and unpacks delivery
Good
Page (Current Employee) –  Preston, WAMay 15, 2014
KCLS is a decent place to work. They provide ways to advance if you look for it. Wonderful management.

But unless you try to advance in the company, then your part time and paying dues to the union with no benefits other then paid sick leave and paid vacation.

Still, overall good company to work for. At the very least to start out somewhere.

I work for their Materials Distribution Services division. It's generally a labor job. Just keep focused and as accurate as possible. That's all they ask.
Pros
good management, good environment
Cons
could use more hours
Excellent company for book lovers
Library Page (Current Employee) –  Snoqualmie, WAJanuary 13, 2013
As someone who loves books, this is the perfect job. Most of my day is spent shelving materials and assisting library patrons with finding materials. It can be a little stressful when you have several carts of books to shelve and there are numerous people needing help, but it is a great place to in and with new books coming in almost every day, you usually spot something to read that you otherwise may not have thought of.