King County Employee Reviews

Stepping stone only
JUVENILE DETENTION OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 7, 2017
This is a good stepping stone, but that's about it. Pays decent and has good benefits. Don't stay too long and heaven forbid DO NOT GET INJURED HERE. They don't provide full pay when you get injured on the job, and will kick you out of a light duty position after 6 months and then medically terminate you. The management doesn't care about what improvements could be done, so no need to talk to anyone about that. There's no room for advancement.
fun to work with all these people who have made a impact on the county
Customer Service Executive (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 7, 2017
a typical day at work for me would be coming in a couple minutes earlier then I was suppose to, finishing all my work that I had due before the due date, finding ways to keep myself busy even when my boss didn't give me something exactly to do
Pros
discount on food
Cons
bordem not having enough work to do
volunteer program
Explorer (Current Employee) –  Woodinville, WA 98072July 14, 2017
Great working environment with friendly and interactive people.Can be high stress and high risk. the program is a way for younger people to learn about law enforcement an its procedures.
Chaos
Enterprise IT Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 3, 2017
Very challenging work environment. Enjoyed my job and the colleagues I worked with. Constant management changes created chaos and instability amongst the support groups.
Benefits
Cons
Several Reorg Efforts
Honest good technology nice location downtown seattle
Sr. Oracle Apps DBA (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 28, 2017
Good team, worked well together good technology, fun place to live , challenging and fun place to work. Very good experience , friendly coworkers, but sure rains alot
Good pay and great benefits; but that's about it.
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 17, 2017
KC could be great if they only cared about the employees. Annual employee surveys identify issues that are never addressed, so really no benefit to completing them, except to give them a warm fuzzy that they're doing it. Same with their Equity and Social Justice program--joke and lip service. Management issues are glossed over in certain Departments (i.e. they tend to overlook conflicts of interest). The application process on governmentjobs is a joke as well so best not to waste your time with it.
Pros
Great benefits and competitive pay
Cons
Management does not care
No support and fake at every turn
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 24, 2017
Terrible management especially with Public Health. Supervisors refuse to train or support new staff who are later punished severely. A lot of politics in the office cause turmoil and create split departments that just hinder the work. Also, sick time is a joke. The county brags about supporting medical and sick days, but employees are punished through isolation and threats of losing job due to "performance issues". If you have disabilities they refuse to accommodate after some time. Overall, it's a great place if you can stand to play the games people play and the benefits are great. But get ready to be lonely and/or be stabbed in the back a lot.
Pros
Great healthcare, easy work
Cons
No support, unfriendly workplace
Temporary
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAMarch 16, 2017
This was a temp job I wish had been permanently offered. The work environment was great and the pay was inline with the economy. It was a great job and probably would still be if the department still existed.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Parking
Nice place to work
HR Administrator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 14, 2017
Due to weather conditions has to make my self to be out of the place its good place to be continue

great benefits and great place for learners
Pros
flexible works
Cons
nothing
For the heath of Washington
Wastewater Treatment Intern (Former Employee) –  all over king Co.June 28, 2016
A typical day at work consist of going to different area's in King Country testing wastewater and turning in the result's to the Renton or discovery park treatment plant.

I learn how to inter act with the public to answer their question and concerns.

working with management on concern's and problems in the county and how we should resolve them.

I only interact with co worker when I got back to the office.

maybe the hardest part of my job was getting all the test points done before the day was over.

I really loved being outdoors and the traveling I did on a daily basis.
Pros
interacting with the public
Cons
helping to clean the environment.
Challenging
Washington State Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAMay 23, 2016
Not accustomed to seeing the negative in others. Jail is not a place for those who display and continually seek the positive. Extremely difficult to see and understand how /why some choose the life paths chosen. Laid off during budget cuts-a welcome decision.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not the cleanliest environment.
Great
Administrative Specialist 2 (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 16, 2016
The work culture required long hours at certain times of the year. During this time, a person could work 12 hour shifts.
The benefits were excellent and showed that the company cared about its (current and retired) employees.
Since this organization has about 26 departments, there are plenty of opportunities to move around.
Benefits
Cons
lateral experience among departments
Hard working dedicated workers.
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 19, 2015
Working for the government possesses a challenge as it tends to cycle through the ups and downs of the economy and along with it the political nature of the environment tends towards the hiring of management that may lack the technical knowledge to manage the staff that reports to them. Political positioning tends to hamper employee engagement in creating efficiency and processes. Budget efficiency is at the expense of employee reclassification and layoffs. Morale is normally low but can get really low. King County is known for its hiring of temporary employees rather than hiring of Full Time employees. Lots of unofficial OJT opportunities are present but professional growth is not a priority. CoWorkers are hardworking and passionate about the service they support. Hardest Part of the job, is trying to complete a task correctly lacking resources to accomplish it. Most enjoyable part, my team/workgroup.Some of them are awesome people.
Pros
Great Retirement
Cons
Politically driven management rather than operational requirement
Good Experience
Social Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 14, 2015
I learned a lot about working for the state and gained great work experience through this internship. The skills I learned were great on the job training
Fun with an open door policy from supervisor
Administrative Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 8, 2015
Motivated and positive with many years of experience in customer service and administrative support. In addition to my enthusiasm and professionalism, I will bring to the position strong attention to detail, organization, dependability, flexibility, the ability to prioritize, multitask and more. Enjoy working as a team as well as independently and developing good working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, customers, and outside agencies.
people make the dreamwork
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 22, 2015
it is the people of king county that I loved working for, the project I worked on was great.

I really liked the people. they are all smart and always willing to go the extra miles. the work for government is really forward thinking. I enjoy it!
Overall one of best places I have worked
Business & Finance Officer III (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 15, 2015
In the area I work, Water and Land Division, employees are passionate about what they do and working to improve the environment. Great Benefits and co-workers.
Pros
Good health care and compensation
Great office and co-workers.
AmeriCorps Assistant (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAMay 26, 2015
I loved my time with King County. All my co-workers were fantastic and I really learned a lot during my time there. There was a lot of opportunity for professional development and advancement.
Great experience
BFO (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 20, 2015
Great place to work, excellent benefits. Willing to work with employees to make the job more satisfying. Overall a great place to gain experience.
Good
Community Involvement Coord/ Deputy Recorder, (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 2, 2015
I recently retired from 40 years in federal, state and local government service delivery. I am fortunate to have a good pension. My wife however will continue to work for some time until she can retire. I am therefore looking for something I would enjoy and be able to utilize the skills I have learned while at the same time make a valuable contribution to my employer and my community.