King County Employee Reviews in United States

For the heath of Washington
Wastewater Treatment Intern (Former Employee) –  all over king Co.June 28, 2016
A typical day at work consist of going to different area's in King Country testing wastewater and turning in the result's to the Renton or discovery park treatment plant.

I learn how to inter act with the public to answer their question and concerns.

working with management on concern's and problems in the county and how we should resolve them.

I only interact with co worker when I got back to the office.

maybe the hardest part of my job was getting all the test points done before the day was over.

I really loved being outdoors and the traveling I did on a daily basis.
Pros
interacting with the public
Cons
helping to clean the environment.
Challenging
Washington State Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAMay 23, 2016
Not accustomed to seeing the negative in others. Jail is not a place for those who display and continually seek the positive. Extremely difficult to see and understand how /why some choose the life paths chosen. Laid off during budget cuts-a welcome decision.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not the cleanliest environment.
Hard working dedicated workers.
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 19, 2015
Working for the government possesses a challenge as it tends to cycle through the ups and downs of the economy and along with it the political nature of the environment tends towards the hiring of management that may lack the technical knowledge to manage the staff that reports to them. Political positioning tends to hamper employee engagement in creating efficiency and processes. Budget efficiency is at the expense of employee reclassification and layoffs. Morale is normally low but can get really low. King County is known for its hiring of temporary employees rather than hiring of Full Time employees. Lots of unofficial OJT opportunities are present but professional growth is not a priority. CoWorkers are hardworking and passionate about the service they support. Hardest Part of the job, is trying to complete a task correctly lacking resources to accomplish it. Most enjoyable part, my team/workgroup.Some of them are awesome people.
Pros
Great Retirement
Cons
Politically driven management rather than operational requirement
The Work Part was Good, Benefits.
Appraiser and have worked their (Former Employee) –  Black RiverDecember 2, 2014
I worked for King County in the assessor’s office. The work environment was cubicle oriented and there was quite a bit if talking as it’s not restricted. There were definitely clichés. I experienced harassment from coworkers and even from management. There were a lot of crazy-maker types. The pay and benefits are decent. But there is a lot of pressure and micro-managing. They’re definitely going to grind every penny of it out of you and then some. There was not much show of appreciation. I eventually left because I didn’t like the harassment stuff.
Pros
technology, steady salary and benefits, interesting work
Cons
micro-managing, management/administration, work environment
Fun with an open door policy from supervisor
Administrative Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 8, 2015
Motivated and positive with many years of experience in customer service and administrative support. In addition to my enthusiasm and professionalism, I will bring to the position strong attention to detail, organization, dependability, flexibility, the ability to prioritize, multitask and more. Enjoy working as a team as well as independently and developing good working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, customers, and outside agencies.
Lots of Potential but Little Management Planning and Systems
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 14, 2012
Although government is pegged with being overburdened with red tape, this employer had very few written management processes and didn't use management systems or tools (e.g. Lean). I understand they are starting to do so now but the culture is one of "we will outlast them". Top management is elected rather than being seasoned managers and, depending on the elected official, they can chose to select cronies or professional managers. And it is true, employees outlast the 8+ years of any political/executive management reign. The result is program/work group oriented rather than corporate oriented culture, direction and loyalty. Decisions at many levels are based on organizational quirks rather than best practice, professional standards or even selection among researched alternatives.

There is a lot of potential to do good work in a variety of areas (environment, transportation, public health). However there is a disconnect from top management direction and worker productivity. It is an unusual organization, even for a public sector organization.
Pros
good wages & benefits admin, management (electeds) appreciate employees labor.
Cons
little opportunity for recognition, growth (expertise) training or interaction with management/policy makers, little regard for industry standards or best practices.
Good Experience
Social Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 14, 2015
I learned a lot about working for the state and gained great work experience through this internship. The skills I learned were great on the job training
Overall one of best places I have worked
Business & Finance Officer III (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 15, 2015
In the area I work, Water and Land Division, employees are passionate about what they do and working to improve the environment. Great Benefits and co-workers.
Pros
Good health care and compensation
people make the dreamwork
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 22, 2015
it is the people of king county that I loved working for, the project I worked on was great.

I really liked the people. they are all smart and always willing to go the extra miles. the work for government is really forward thinking. I enjoy it!
Supportive and Uplifting Enviroment
Senior Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 15, 2013
Influencing People that I worked with.

The Friendliness of the enviroment and management

Helping others find a solution to their circumstance gave me Great joy, and made the job that much more enjoyable.

Inspiring team members to reach for greater oppurtunities

Management showed me different approaches to situations

The most difficult part of my position, was also the greatest learning experience. Such as dealing with difficult customers. Everytime you dealth with such, you would learn and be greater
Pros
retreats. getting away with fellow employees and learning what made each of us tick.
Cons
difficult customers
Great office and co-workers.
AmeriCorps Assistant (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAMay 26, 2015
I loved my time with King County. All my co-workers were fantastic and I really learned a lot during my time there. There was a lot of opportunity for professional development and advancement.
Great experience
BFO (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 20, 2015
Great place to work, excellent benefits. Willing to work with employees to make the job more satisfying. Overall a great place to gain experience.
management planning and system
management (Former Employee) –  King County, WashingtonDecember 19, 2012
A typical day is usually met with new and interesting challenges.
Pros
good wages & benefits admin, management (electeds) appreciate employees labor.
Cons
admint and management planning
GIS/GPS Field Intern
GIS and GPS Field Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 15, 2015
Collection of field data and conversion of GPS data to useful GIS maps. Also, the conversion of ArcGIS data to a user-friendly Arc Online application for future company use. Developed critical project planning skills, database management/organization, and general processes of wastewater treatment.
Pros
great work environment, helpful mentors and management
King County offers excellent benefits for the entire family.
Functional Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 3, 2013
Generally, King County is an equal oppportunity employer with excellent salary and benefit package. It provides healthy working environment.
Pros
employee benefit includes free transportation passport
Cons
some departments do not promote from within
Stay at home mother
Domestic Engineer (Former Employee) –  Renton WashingtonJanuary 13, 2015
caring for children has taught patience, teamwork, problem solving, management, cleaning, financial planning, time management, listening skills, and life experience in dealing with many different people. Hardest part of this job is that there is no time off. Best part is the Hugs and kisses and satisfaction in a job well done.
"Okay" as a first job. Learn what you can and move on
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 1, 2014
Don't expect to learn anything while working here. Never much training or team work here.
Pros
good benefits, good pay for work required
Cons
self-motivated work loads, no learning opportunities, poor teamwork mentality
Best housing company to work for.
Supervisor Collections, A/R, and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 6, 2014
Del Webb allows any employee to advance in to any area they choose. Very diverse and open to all career opportunities.
Good
Community Involvement Coord/ Deputy Recorder, (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 2, 2015
I recently retired from 40 years in federal, state and local government service delivery. I am fortunate to have a good pension. My wife however will continue to work for some time until she can retire. I am therefore looking for something I would enjoy and be able to utilize the skills I have learned while at the same time make a valuable contribution to my employer and my community.
Very professional. Government job.
Education Specialist/ Nutrition Educator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 10, 2013
Multifaceted government programs. I worked in the department of Public Health.
Government jobs are tough when you need to get things done... too much politics, even in Public Health.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at King County. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2