KIPP Austin Public Schools Employee Reviews

Long hours, Tense school culture, Poor management
Teacher, Grade 1 (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 29, 2017
KIPP Austin Public Schools provides exceptional teacher training and on-going professional development. Teachers are highly qualified, driven and passionate. They have to be, because otherwise they would not be working for KIPP. KIPP is an extremely demanding work environment that requires long hours in and out of school. Teachers are monitored and evaluated on their lesson planning and delivery on a weekly basis, which serves to make them better educators and burnt out, emotionally frayed human beings. The culture was cliquish and competitive.

The curriculum is data-driven and students are very supported academically. They don't, however, have much time to play, relax, or express themselves.
Pros
High quality education, Excellent professional development
Cons
Stressful, Long hours, Poor management
Great
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 12, 2017
Great place to work if you're involved in education. I worked as a substitute teacher and received a lot of support from the staff and teachers there. I like that the schools are growing.
KIPP is great!
Guided Reading Teacher (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 19, 2017
I love working at KIPP because the staff are really friendly and they go above and beyond to create a positive leaning environment for students.
If you are considering working here I'd say it's a great place to work, the professional development is very good.
Pros
breakfast tacos
Cons
workload can be a bit much, teacher turnover is a bit high
Nice place to work
Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 30, 2017
I think that management in the food service department needs to more heart warming there is a diverse group and the management team feels like they are better than them
Pros
Off holidays
Cons
Blocked pto days and pay
Fun workplace
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 31, 2017
Very busy type of school. Opportunities to grow. Management not so great, but they were working on that. really good mission.
It's not for everyone
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 18, 2017
Working for KIPP is rewarding and provides a unique experience. However, the work/life balance is almost nonexistent. The expectations for their teachers are unrealistic and the workload is not sustainable. Administration is unorganized and does not know how to manage their employees in a positive and productive way.
KIPP is not just a job, it's a family!
Curriculum Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 12, 2017
I really love working for KIPP Austin Public Schools. I have been at KIPP for the past year and a half, and feel grateful to be part of such an impactful and positive community. I always feel challenged AND encouraged by my manager and department head. I have already grown so much from when I first began, and have been offered advancement opportunities that have kept me challenged and engaged. KIPP has a great nation-wide network of support so I never have to struggle when I'm trouble-shooting a problem. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with super smart people with big hearts, and knowing that my work has an impact on students.
Pros
positive environment, challenging, impact, advancement opportunites
Cons
must have/develop stong time management and work/life balance skills
Great place to work!
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 7, 2016
This is a great school to work at. I spend my days with dedicated teachers and hard working students and families. We are a part of a team that is help all students get ready for college.
Pros
Great staff culture.
Cons
High expectations for staff and students
Awesome, energetic place to work with a huge mission focus and passion for contributing to students' lives.
Fine Arts Teacher (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 9, 2016
I love working here, the staff is awesome and the administration is really focused on creating the best possible environment for teachers to thrive. The focus is almost always on students.
District Provided professional development supports teacher growth
7th Grade Reading Teacher (Former Employee) –  KIPP Austin Beacon PrepJune 14, 2016
Working with KIPP Austin Public Schools has encouraged my professional growth and development as a teacher. Data from this school year has shown that my students consistently grew based on district, state and national assessments. Professional development and have allowed me to learn a variety of instructional strategies that I was able to implement in my classroom to support in student mastery.
Teancity, Grit, Honor...
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 12, 2014
Living in mottos and quotes of other great thinkers inspired the kids walking the start-up college prep school to KIPP Austin Public Charter Schools. This meant free education and a flock of students wanting to obtain residence in a unestablished lottery system put in place by myself with the help of previous administrative staff and the start-up administration director.
The culture and the mission of KIPP schools helped me focus in my personal life and enriched me as a professional.
Pros
free lunch at staff meetings, team building opportunities
Cons
one can easily overwork themselves if work/life is not properly balanced, attention to self in order to function at a high capacity

Ask a question about working or interviewing at KIPP Austin Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

KIPP Austin Public Schools Reviews by Location