KIPP DC

KIPP DC Employer Reviews

All that Glitters...
Development Associate (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 2, 2013
Pros: tons of free kipp dc stuff
Cons: no lunches, employees must pay for expenses during travel
I wanted to love KIPP DC because of their great track record. You cannot refute all the good work they are doing in the most under-represented neighborhoods of DC, and who does not want to be a part of that? Unfortunately, management in the headquarters office is full of bullies.

Supervisors can be quite hostile, and they are known for cursing up a – more... storm when there is a problem. The mentality is, "If you are not with us you are against us." And being "with us" means spending 60+ hours chained to a desk with no lunch break (seriously they told me that I should not take a lunch break) and dirty looks when I leave on time. The hours are already long as a typical work day is 9-6. I, for one, do not do well with being cooped up in the office for nine hours at a time.

Few managers are easy to get a long with. Others take advantage of their seniority, arriving late/leaving early, and judging others who try to leave on time to get home to their families. The mentality is "Word Hard. Be Nice." and "Do whatever it takes." Few actually live up to this mentality.

I was told that people who last more than year have more autonomy and are judged less than the newbies. To succeed at in the KIPP DC headquarters office, you must have a tough skin and hope for a reasonable supervisor. – less
Director of KIPP Through College
Director (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 12, 2013
Worked with alumni from KIPP DC middle school programs to assist in the navigation of high school and college matriculation and persistence.
Review
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee), Washington,dcApril 8, 2013
This is an awsome place to work. The children are all well mannered and the staff is awsome.