KIPP DC Employee Reviews

KIPP DC ; Knowledge is Power Program
Assistant Teacher | Instructional Coach (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCJanuary 4, 2017
A productive and high energy workplace with a very welcoming teacher community. High expectations and rigor complimented with dedicated and enthusiastic teachers.
excellent place to work
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 28, 2016
the kids are all shing stars in there own way. you are forced to bring your A game every day the material and curriculum is easy to follow
kipp dc team
Compliance Manager Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 10, 2016
There is not a typical day at KIPP DC. Kipp DC believes in teamwork so there is a possibility that you may do things outside of your job description. I've learned a lot in terms of my position and dealing with special education services such as online programs, registration, updating IEP's and many other tasks. The most enjoyable part of this job is working with students when needed and building great relationships with staff and parents. The hardest part of this job would be management and how they go about handling any situation, however, they see fit. Majority Co-workers at KIPP are okay, the co-workers I've come in contact with are awesome.
Pros
free lunch sometimes, fun students, perks of working in the schools you get discounts at local retailers
Cons
I have too many to name
Do not apply here!
Office Employee (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 25, 2016
The hiring process here is very complicated or at least made to appear this way, but in reality its much easier if you know someone on the inside to help you succeed yourself in. The first time I was rejected by the first attempt, even though I had more than enough experience (Work Experience/Education). I had a phone interview and the process was a couple of steps of different interviews or at least it was explained this way.

Next attempt, I tried with someone whom I known to work for the company, I was immediately contacted within a week versus 3 weeks on first attempt. The HR person I spoke to whom I know exactly by voice now, was more friendly, I wont reveal any names because they know who they are. And the process at this attempt was expressed much quicker, I had interviews scheduled immediately versus the we will contact you and inform you about the next phase in the process.

I was stunned by this process and I honestly do not want to work here after going through this.
Pros
Cons
HR Department is a Mess
Worst experience
Capital Teaching Resident (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 17, 2015
no work/life balance, stressful, and emotionally draining. Long hours and minimal support from administration. The pay is not enough for what you endure on a daily basis.
Kipp dc
Intensive Resource Support Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington DCApril 29, 2015
KIPP DC hosts a great program for scholars. Teachers are driven to ensure the success of their students.Parent involvement is stellar.
Pros
free lunches, blended learning programs
Cons
extended day, feedback
Major issues with HR and Bad Hiring practices
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Washington DCOctober 14, 2014
I was told by my Career Alumni Association of a great opportunity with KIPP DC, so I applied. I have successfully completed 3 internships with global organizations taking part in major projects, so I know my skills and education are in line to work for the entry level opportunities that the company posted. KIPP DC vacancy clearly reads entry level with " 0-years " of experience needed ( I have 2-years), minimum Associates Degree, (I have a Masters) along with 2+ years of volunteer experience in education with children mentoring and tutoring and I am currently work in higher education, but was told that I do not have the experience for this job. What is even more alarming is that this position is advertised approximately every 3 months which tells me that the "person" that they hire and does have the experience, is not working out for one reason or another. It sounds to me like the recruiter does not know how to effectively source candidates that fit the organizational culture or that the chosen individual is not qualified for the job. Either way for an organization that has a mission as great as KIPP DC, it’s amazing that they have no idea how to find candidates to support the educational practices that they are trying to instill. Very sad and I have advised my alumni not to send our students there because they will not be treated in a fair and just manner.
Pros
Can't say I saw any
Cons
Slow to no return calls or emails, HUGE turnover rates
No Diversity
interviewee (Former Employee) –  washington dcNovember 25, 2013
Taking in consideration the population Kipp claims to serve it is very disheartening that there is not one person of color in the School's central office. The best way to teach children is to lead by example... there is only one example at Kipp.
Cons
Huge turnover rate
All that Glitters...
Development Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 2, 2013
I wanted to love KIPP DC because of their great track record. You cannot refute all the good work they are doing in the most under-represented neighborhoods of DC, and who does not want to be a part of that? Unfortunately, management in the headquarters office is full of bullies.

Supervisors can be quite hostile, and they are known for cursing up a storm when there is a problem. The mentality is, "If you are not with us you are against us." And being "with us" means spending 60+ hours chained to a desk with no lunch break (seriously they told me that I should not take a lunch break) and dirty looks when I leave on time. The hours are already long as a typical work day is 9-6. I, for one, do not do well with being cooped up in the office for nine hours at a time.

Few managers are easy to get a long with. Others take advantage of their seniority, arriving late/leaving early, and judging others who try to leave on time to get home to their families. The mentality is "Word Hard. Be Nice." and "Do whatever it takes." Few actually live up to this mentality.

I was told that people who last more than year have more autonomy and are judged less than the newbies. To succeed at in the KIPP DC headquarters office, you must have a tough skin and hope for a reasonable supervisor.
Pros
Tons of free KIPP DC stuff
Cons
No lunches, employees must pay for expenses during travel
Director of KIPP Through College
Director (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 12, 2013
Worked with alumni from KIPP DC middle school programs to assist in the navigation of high school and college matriculation and persistence.
Review
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington,dcApril 8, 2013
This is an awsome place to work. The children are all well mannered and the staff is awsome.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at KIPP DC. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8