KIPP Foundation Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Don't take the job!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 29, 2017
KIPP 's recruitment is on point, when I was first recruited I was so excited to be a part of KIPP and make a difference. However, it was not anything like they said it would be and I would not recommend working for KIPP. I loved the parents and students, but working for KIPP made me miserable. It was one of the hardest years of my life.
Pros
Students, Professional Development
Cons
No lunch break, Excessive hours, No overtime, Poor management
poor leadership
teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 26, 2017
KIPP primary has a very poor leadership team. They do not have enough experience in the field of teaching, or leading. They feel the need to micromanage everything. They say they want feedback, but if it does not agree with what they feel or believe, they take it very personally. The days are long, the practices are not always developmentally appropriate, and the pay is much less then districts. I loved working with the kids, but the leadership made it a place to dread.
Pros
kids
Cons
poor leadership, long days
Many of KIPP's Employees Lack Education and Experience for the Roles They Serve
Dean (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 20, 2017
The expectations of KIPP employees is extremely high.
While the mission is important, there is no work-life balance possible as an employee. You are expected to stretch yourself thin with little to no acknowledgement or support from your managers.

KIPP generally promotes from within, hiring Teach for America teachers and will promote said teachers directly from the classroom, having little to no experience, in to management and leadership roles.
Pros
Working to improve lives
Cons
While you may have a Ph.D. your supervisor may only have a B.A. and two years teaching experience.
A place where teachers are set up for burnout
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 6, 2016
KIPP Prides itself on serving low-income students and their families. However, the overemphasis on test scores and the use of the extended school day is exhausting to both teachers and students. Teachers are treated with little respect for their craft and made to work extensive hours that almost certainly lead to burnout and physical exhaustion. This is not a healthy work environment nor is it a place educators will be successful beyond two years.
Pros
KIPP has a noble mission
Cons
10-hour workdays, over reliance on test scores, lack of respect for teachers' lives
Consultant work
consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 23, 2016
Company had a responsive management, with timely work schedules and hard-line objectives. Reasonable workload distribution, with the availability of additional assignments.
Fast paced rigorous working environment with leaders in education reform
Director of Fisher Fellowship (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 12, 2013
Daily assignments include coaching and evaluating emerging leaders, planning and evaluating programming curriculum, program design, collaboration with fellow program leaders, and on-going development of rigorous, relevant, competency based programming.
Pros
Working with highly talented student focused leaders in education reform
Cons
Extensive travel
Great learning experience
Research and Evaluation Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 15, 2013
I loved the office atmosphere! Everyone truly enjoyed each other and worked hard every day, so they could play hard when they were done. They were committed to their mission and believed in doing all they could to help each other meet goals and exceed expectations.
Excellent mission, excellent people.
Controller (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 5, 2012
I am looking to expand my sphere of experience. I have humbly learned so much here at KIPP.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at KIPP Foundation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7