KIPP NYC Employee Reviews

Meritocracy at its finest
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 25, 2017
You work at KIPP because you believe in the impact your work will bring to students whether you're in Shared Services Team or one of the schools. This is a culture driven institution. Work hard and be nice aren't just the motto for students. This applies to employees as well.

A typical day at work begins with greeting everyone in your team. People here are relaxed but determined in their work. We strive for quality when we can, and we keep each other accountable for falling short.

We are provided company laptops and phones, which comes in handy since you can take your work anywhere if need be. That might turn some people off, but that's the reason we're able to be there for our students.

However, the team itself can get too lax. We sometimes get so caught up on our goals and action plans it's difficult to take a step back and see the bigger picture of what we're trying to accomplish. This can create some friction with upper management.
Pros
Benefits, culture, food and snacks
Cons
Poor work-life balance
balanced work place
MAINTANCE STAFF (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 20, 2017
Everyday i would be assigned different tasks , or finish the task that was to large for one day. I learned that a lot of work goes on behind the scenes for students to start the school year off right. the hardest part of the job was carrying heavy loads up 8 flights of steps in a building with no elevator. The most enjoyable part was stripping, and waxing the floors in the classroom.
About kipp
Educator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 25, 2017
I have learned and met many wonderful educators. Being part of Kipp really helped me opened my eyes to many new things. Pushed me to be better and earn my degree. The children in the school are the most wonderful part about going to work everyday. Being there for them and the families are the most important. Hardest part of the job are the long work days and not enough time.
Pros
work with some wonderful educators, children and families
Cons
overworked, no breaks, many payroll issues
Work Hard, Be Nice
Managing Director of Talent (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 30, 2017
You will work hard here, but with a strong, aligned mission and and extremely high level of commitment by all staff it is a fantastic place to work, learn and grow.

Incredibly high expectations with an all hands on deck/do whatever it takes attitude can be stressful, at times, and require a significant amount of time at work/working. This is no 9-5 type of work environment. But smart, talented, funny, humble colleagues who are in the trenches with you and an incredible mission to see kids to and through college & to success in a competitive world - makes it a worthwhile commitment.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Sometimes there is work/life imbalance
Workplace that places equal emphasis on both character and academic growth of students
School Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York City, NYJanuary 20, 2017
The most rewarding part of the job is witnessing the character growth of the student from the time they enter our school until the time they graduate.
Pros
Frequent breaks throughout the school year
Cons
Long work hours
Fun place to work
Controller (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 6, 2017
KIPP NYC is a great company to work for, the most enjoyable part of the work is working great people for an amazing mission. The hardest part of the job is the complexity of the organization and keeping up with new projects.
Amazing energy and leadership. Kids are awesome.
contractors, and building/school/admin staff (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NY and ManhattanDecember 19, 2016
Planning and executing summer construction projects, visiting construction sites, managing volunteers, hands-on. Management was fair and goal-oriented with a lot of drive. Co-workers were amazing, really smart and capable people. The hardest part of the job is getting it all done in time. The most enjoyable part is seeing kids in the building when the project is over.
Pros
Great atmosphere, challenging goals, great people.
Send your children here!
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 22, 2016
I'm serious send them. It'll make the world a better place. The staff is superb. KIPP NYC is a blessing when it comes to creating excellent young adults that try making a difference.
Pros
If you send your kids, they'll learn to work hard & be nice👌🏽
Cons
N/a
Productive and great work environment
Project Employee Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 19, 2015
Working at KIPP NYC help me learn to organize and communicate in an school building. Everyone is friendly and work at a great pace. The hardest thing about working there is lifting furniture and building shelves for new students. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you helped a teacher prepare their classroom for new students.
Pros
Free lunch, raffles
Cultural Awareness
Teaching Resident (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 15, 2015
There is a lack of cultural awareness in how the students are addressed and managed. 94%of the students are African American/ African and a lot of the students I interact with either had or experienced families incarcerated. The language and management tactics were similar to prison guards and inmates, I heard several teachers either speak to students in a condescending manner or use language like "offenders" on students that repeat their misbehavior or who did not meet expectations. Additionally, the school community did not do its best to recognized Black History month in February, in May there was a full schedule adopted to accommodate the Hispanic heritage. If as a school they are going to celebrate one heritage, why not find a way to celebrate them all (or at least all who are represented in the school). All students and faculty should feel represented and important to the schools' culture.
Pros
independent management of classroom, approachable counseling team
Cons
lack of cultural awareness, poor work life medium, lack of advocacy and support

Ask a question about working or interviewing at KIPP NYC. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2