Kirby Inland Marine Employee Reviews in United States

A good job, you had to be a self-starter.
Dispatcher and Facility Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXApril 20, 2016
You learn something new every day. You talk to a variety of interesting people, via phone and radio. There was not any management on the property, you worked alone, you had to be a self-starter and be able to solve day to day problems.
Pros
You were able to make decisions on your own, on day to day problems
Cons
When something broke down it took longer than needed to be fixed.
Everyday Struggle
Deckhand/Tankerman Trainee (Former Employee) –  TXJanuary 26, 2015
Everyday struggle when you're a deckhand. They will try every second they get to belittle you as if they didn't start out somewhere. Some of them went to pilot school and advanced faster but I started on the deck and I was miserable everyday. A typical day at work would be for me to wake up prepare coffee and breakfast for the rest of the crew then sweep/mop from the wheelhouse to the galley. Then check the fuel levels and engine filters to see if they needed changing. If we got orders we'd tank, if we didn't we'd chip the old paint off the paint, put new coats on it, in the heat/cold all weather conditions. Prepare lunch, clean restrooms, the most enjoyable part of the job was my off time. I was 6 hours on 6 hours off. The second most enojoyable part was the food. Everyone set together and made a grocery list that we would have delivered to us.
Pros
food salary
Cons
captains, pilots rude arent people friendly
Great job security
Tankerman (Current Employee) –  Channelview, TXMay 24, 2013
This job isn't for everyone. (especially someone with a family) There are several job schedules (most of which require you to work inland waterway....On a boat) they have certain boats that are considered a "day for day" boat. Essentially, however many days you work out on the boat; equals the amount of days off you get. (14/14, 20/20, 30/30) Most common schedules are (20/10- 20 days on, 10 days off; 28/14-28days on, 14 days off) THis job offers excellent benefits and rapid advancement for those that are motivated. You start off making peanuts (120 daily as of 2012) but...within a year you could be making over 50k. w/in 1.5 yrs 65k (depending on rotation and if you choose to "ride over") Basically, work on your off days.
Pros
travel paid and food covered while at work
Cons
time off
Great job learned alot and got to travel quite a bit
Tankerman (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 17, 2012
This job is one of those job you really don't know is out there until you actually work there. Good company only downside is you are gone alot. My schedule is 20 days on the boat and 10 days off When you are on boat you stay on the entire 20 days so the crew becomes your second family and the boat your second home. I typically work 7 hours on 5 hours off every day. I have learned alot with this job mostly how to manage time, training and paperwork..lots of paperwork...everything as to be documented..from the loads to the grocery order...the boats get audited on a regular basis so everything has to be in order. I have enjoyed my job you don't sit in one place too long you move around alot but the hardest part of my job is being away from my family.
Pros
great pay, good benefits, good food and training and travel to and from work paid for by company
Cons
being away from family for long periods of time
It is a home away from home riding the rivers for 28 days at a time.
Tankerman Level 4 (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 7, 2014
Riding the rivers on a towboat seeing sites you may not otherwise see. Safety is a big concern of the company and the importance is always reminded. Management is open to suggestions to make the boats better for the workers and the co-workers are like family away from home. Being away from my family is the hardest part of the job. The working relationships and different views of scenery are probably the most enjoyable.
Pros
free meals, great benefits
Cons
being away from family for long periods of time.
Great place to work with a huge upside. Just be prepared to leave your own life behind at times.
Fleet deckhand level 2 (Former Employee) –  Channelview, TXJanuary 4, 2012
Great place to work with amazing pay, benefits and advancement. Challenges the mind as well as the body. The only downside is the work schedule. Most boats require you to live on the boat for extended periods of time. Some boats have schedules of 20 days on, followed by 10 off. This makes family life very hard.
Pros
pay, benefits, advancement
Cons
time away from home, extreme weather conditions, dangerous.
50/50 company
Deckhand level 3 / Tanker man level 2 (Current Employee) –  Channelview, TXMarch 20, 2015
they are only gonna benefit you, if it benefits them 20 times over. and demand you give up family for them. the crew you work with is understanding, the office only does 50% of what they say.
Good Company
Bottle Watch and Tanker man Trainee (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 17, 2015
Kirby was a good company to work for. A lot of long hours but pay was worth it. For people thst like to travel this is a good choice.
great start
Customer Services - Tankerman Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 1, 2015
This job is a great learning opportunity. I enjoyed my career here. Hours are a little tough but pay is great! They have Great management but there human resourses is lacking.
Pros
close by
Cons
Very productive work experience and excellent training program.
Tankerman (Former Employee) –  Channelview, TXSeptember 9, 2012
6 hours on / 6 hours off; that is a normal day on the boat. Some
days can be physically demanding and some not at all. The hardest part of the job is carrying wire rope (cables) and ratchets and connecting barges together for towing.
Pros
pay, benefits and experience gained
Cons
time away from family and friends
Facility Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXFebruary 22, 2013
It was a very stable and comforting environment. Employees worked as a team. Great benefits.
Pros
great employees
Cons
management not on same page.
Great atsmophere/very professional
Vessel tracking coordinator/Revenue billig (Former Employee) –  55 Waugh Dr. Houston Texas 77007June 24, 2013
VTC: Dispatch. Worked 7on/7off 4pm-4am. Entered boat logs into computer using a math code. At each "boat call" I had to enter every log (est over 100) into computer, then before 8am a report had to print/distribute throughout the office. There were other daily reports that had to be out via emails, etc. as well. The demenor of the dispatchers were very professional and "protective" of felloIw female employees. Working at night, they made sure we were safe walking to car, etc. The schedule was great and I really enjoyed working different type of hours.
Revenue billing: With the experince of traffic, before making invoices, I would check traffic, check with the contract, and with this information I would prepare a rough draft for the invoice. At which time I would present the invoice to the sales manager that I reported to and he would either approve or would instruct me further for changes that may be needed. Knowledge of the contract were vital and knowing when demurrage (the clock) would be on or off. For "day-rate" contracts, the time would start at the beginning of the trip and will run until the next trip. Any downtime would be referred to the contract. The enviroment of the "bullpen" where we worked was very professional and the ladies/gents all got along very well. Bunker billing was also my account. The "bunker" is actually like a gas station on the water. We would take large ships from all over the world and we would fill them up. We would also lighter fuel from the ships as well.
Pros
professional, very good benifits, excellent company
Cons
management could use some help. consider re-hiring former emploees that are proven good employees.
Dock Operator
In-plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 8, 2015
Kirby in Corpus Christ was an good place for entry level operators to gain experience. Training was limited and if you wanted to be trained on all docks you had to be very persistent. Other than that I was paid fairly and worked a lot of overtime which is what I wanted. Not much off time but I didn't mind. Most of the time you work by yourself and deal with vessel personnel seldom. Its an easy job with ordinary work stress. The teams I worked with were great guys.
Pros
A lot of hours
Cons
On call
Great place to learn the Marine Transportation Industry
Marine Traffic Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 7, 2014
Kirby is the largest inland tank barge operator in the U.S. with over 800 tank barges and over 200 boats in service. We serve customers across the country and are based in Houston, TX with offices in New York, Hawaii, Louisiana and Florida. The dispatchers work a 7 days on, 7 days off rotational schedule for 12 hours each day. The hours are long and the pay isn't the best but this company will teach you everything you want to learn about the inland tank barge business. There are many opportunities for advancement and a wealth of experience from which to learn but this is by no means an easy job. The hardest part of the job is learning the program used for monitoring vessels and mastery of it can take years. The office has a professional but not stuffy feel and management does their best to keep everyone abreast of changes through meetings and conferences. Your co-workers will be the best part about the job as everyone shares a desire to succeed and help each other.
Pros
great employees, ability to enjoy time off.
Cons
pay could be better, system is cumbersome and hard to learn.
Plenty of job security and advancement, hard life.
Deckhand level 2 (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 25, 2015
Lots of opportunities for advancement if you're willing to stick it out. Hard life for someone with a family. Lots of time away from home.
Overall the company was a good company.
Deckhand/Tankerman Trainee (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 8, 2013
On a typical work day, we usually worked pretty hard, but that is expected out there. I learned a good bit about barges and how to become a tankerman. The managment was pretty good, co-workers most of them were pleasent to work with. The hardest part of the job was having to stay up long hours when needed to, and the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to learn different things.
Pros
they fed us really good out there.
Cons
did not like the way they had shifts set up.
Good for the money but not for the lifestyle
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 31, 2015
I enjoyed working with this company and really liked some of the people there. Its a fast paced environment with little room for mistakes. The management is overbearing and the job is monotonous.
Pros
pay
Cons
long shifts
Good benefit
Tankerman trainee/Deckhand (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 26, 2015
Long hours with many different personalities! Captains need better training on managing people instead of just boats. Great place to start!
Great job many ways to move up in the company
Engineer/ Switch Crew/ Sample Tester (Former Employee) –  Channelview, TXJanuary 27, 2013
Lead Engineer, worked closely with the people on the ground for safety during switch crew operations. Sampled many rail cars for product quality. Management was great and the shift managers had the operations in tip top order.12 hr shifts with great people. Hardest part of the job was the weather on the tracks, such as rain or ice. I never had a safety violation and made sure that my people on the ground were safe at all times.
Pros
good pay good people
General day on the boat !
Level 4 Deckhand/ Tankerman (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 14, 2013
My General day on the boat consist of working on the front watch with the boat captain, @ 0500 hr . 0700 start my routine general clean up , then i start prep-in lunch for the crew which is to be ready at 1200 hr . once im done prep in the food i go down to the engine room and do my morning engine room ck which consist of ck engine oil, generators ,leaks, fuel and water levels. Then once that is done i pretty much wash up and ck on lunch and ck out my barges make sure things are in working order as planed . All this if im not called to dock. I love my job it fun adventures rewarding. Good crew plenty of experience.
Pros
just like being at home .
Cons
im not at home all the time.