Kirby Inland Marine Employee Reviews

Productive workplace but conservative.
Accounts Payable Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 31, 2017
Upper management did not include many people of color. The hardest part of the job was dealing with rude mangers with unrealistic expectations. I enjoyed not staying after 5:00 though.
Pros
Forturne 500
Cons
No room for growth.
Challenging
Relief Captain (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 18, 2017
Rewarding occupation the managment worked with you on many levels (personal and professional)
Great benifits package
Safety is first and foremost
Train and promote within company
The hardest aspect of this industry (marine transportaion) is the extended times away from the family.
Productive safe and fun
Pilot (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 23, 2017
Kirby Inland Marine was a great company to work for. They had a great training and gave me all the knowledge i needed to complete the task at hand. The company was great in so many ways.
Kirby Inshore Marine
Vessel Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Channelview, TXMarch 23, 2017
I worked as a vessel technician for Kirby Inland Marine for Four years. We did the IT as well as low level electrical services for the boats. It was a good learning experience for me.
Productive Work Place
NH3 Tankerman (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 14, 2017
Responsible for all aspects of tug boat maintenance, prepare barges for safe complete loading and discharging of
anhydrous ammonia from barge to dock. Manged and maintained anhydrous ammonia refrigeration equipment.
Secured line handling and rigging during tow building, locking, and docking activities. Assisted in training of newly
hired employees. Reported to Captain/ Pilot/ Wheelman. Adhere to all company policies, United States Coast Guard
and environmental regulations.
Tow Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 9, 2017
As a corporation, overall I would recommend Kirby to anyone looking to grow with a company. There is plenty of opportunity to grow; my previous job offered plenty of experience in logistical planning and personal management.
family inviroment
boat captain (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 18, 2016
great training within company, self motivating atmosphere ,a great job for a person that wants to travel and see nature up close
A good job, you had to be a self-starter.
Dispatcher and Facility Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXApril 20, 2016
You learn something new every day. You talk to a variety of interesting people, via phone and radio. There was not any management on the property, you worked alone, you had to be a self-starter and be able to solve day to day problems.
Pros
You were able to make decisions on your own, on day to day problems
Cons
When something broke down it took longer than needed to be fixed.
great start
Customer Services - Tankerman Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 1, 2015
This job is a great learning opportunity. I enjoyed my career here. Hours are a little tough but pay is great! They have Great management but there human resourses is lacking.
Pros
close by
Good Company
Bottle Watch and Tanker man Trainee (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 17, 2015
Kirby was a good company to work for. A lot of long hours but pay was worth it. For people thst like to travel this is a good choice.
Dock Operator
In-plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 8, 2015
Kirby in Corpus Christ was an good place for entry level operators to gain experience. Training was limited and if you wanted to be trained on all docks you had to be very persistent. Other than that I was paid fairly and worked a lot of overtime which is what I wanted. Not much off time but I didn't mind. Most of the time you work by yourself and deal with vessel personnel seldom. Its an easy job with ordinary work stress. The teams I worked with were great guys.
Pros
A lot of hours
Cons
On call
Plenty of job security and advancement, hard life.
Deckhand level 2 (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 25, 2015
Lots of opportunities for advancement if you're willing to stick it out. Hard life for someone with a family. Lots of time away from home.
Good for the money but not for the lifestyle
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 31, 2015
I enjoyed working with this company and really liked some of the people there. Its a fast paced environment with little room for mistakes. The management is overbearing and the job is monotonous.
Pros
pay
Cons
long shifts
50/50 company
Deckhand level 3 / Tanker man level 2 (Current Employee) –  Channelview, TXMarch 20, 2015
they are only gonna benefit you, if it benefits them 20 times over. and demand you give up family for them. the crew you work with is understanding, the office only does 50% of what they say.
Good benefit
Tankerman trainee/Deckhand (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 26, 2015
Long hours with many different personalities! Captains need better training on managing people instead of just boats. Great place to start!
Everyday Struggle
Deckhand/Tankerman Trainee (Former Employee) –  TXJanuary 26, 2015
Everyday struggle when you're a deckhand. They will try every second they get to belittle you as if they didn't start out somewhere. Some of them went to pilot school and advanced faster but I started on the deck and I was miserable everyday. A typical day at work would be for me to wake up prepare coffee and breakfast for the rest of the crew then sweep/mop from the wheelhouse to the galley. Then check the fuel levels and engine filters to see if they needed changing. If we got orders we'd tank, if we didn't we'd chip the old paint off the paint, put new coats on it, in the heat/cold all weather conditions. Prepare lunch, clean restrooms, the most enjoyable part of the job was my off time. I was 6 hours on 6 hours off. The second most enojoyable part was the food. Everyone set together and made a grocery list that we would have delivered to us.
Pros
food salary
Cons
Captains, Pilots rude arent people friendly
It's never boring, but your gone 2/3rds of your life
Relief Captain (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 18, 2014
Every day is a new adventure,You load barges,clean and wash the boat.Spring time you chip and paint.you live on the boat 20 days at a time then you go home for 10 days.
Pros
You make good money
Cons
your away from home 20 days at a time
Great place to learn the Marine Transportation Industry
Marine Traffic Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 7, 2014
Kirby is the largest inland tank barge operator in the U.S. with over 800 tank barges and over 200 boats in service. We serve customers across the country and are based in Houston, TX with offices in New York, Hawaii, Louisiana and Florida. The dispatchers work a 7 days on, 7 days off rotational schedule for 12 hours each day. The hours are long and the pay isn't the best but this company will teach you everything you want to learn about the inland tank barge business. There are many opportunities for advancement and a wealth of experience from which to learn but this is by no means an easy job. The hardest part of the job is learning the program used for monitoring vessels and mastery of it can take years. The office has a professional but not stuffy feel and management does their best to keep everyone abreast of changes through meetings and conferences. Your co-workers will be the best part about the job as everyone shares a desire to succeed and help each other.
Pros
Great employees, ability to enjoy time off.
Cons
Pay could be better, system is cumbersome and hard to learn.
greta working environment
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 13, 2014
work 7 days on and 7 days off
12 hour shifts
no on call duties
loud working environment
great networking place
productive and fun place to work at
Tankerman (Current Employee) –  Channelview, TXAugust 5, 2014
family oriented travel across the united states. good company the most enjoyable thing about the company is the company picinc
Pros
free lunch
Cons
away from home