Kirby Inland Marine

Kirby Inland Marine Employee Reviews

50/50 company
Deckhand level 3 / Tanker man level 2 (Current Employee), Channelview, TXMarch 20, 2015
they are only gonna benefit you, if it benefits them 20 times over. and demand you give up family for them. the crew you work with is understanding, the office only does 50% of what they say.
Good benefit
Tankerman trainee/Deckhand (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 26, 2015
Long hours with many different personalities! Captains need better training on managing people instead of just boats. Great place to start!
Everyday Struggle
Deckhand/Tankerman Trainee (Former Employee), TXJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: food salary
Cons: captains, pilots rude arent people friendly
Everyday struggle when you're a deckhand. They will try every second they get to belittle you as if they didn't start out somewhere. Some of them went to pilot school and advanced faster but I started on the deck and I was miserable everyday. A typical day at work would be for me to wake up prepare coffee and breakfast for the rest of the crew then sweep/mop from the wheelhouse to the galley. Then check the fuel levels and engine filters to see if they needed changing. If we got orders we'd tank, if we didn't we'd chip the old paint off the paint, put new coats on it, in the heat/cold all weather conditions. Prepare lunch, clean restrooms, the most enjoyable part of the job was my off time. I was 6 hours on 6 hours off. The second most enojoyable part was the food. Everyone set together and made a grocery list that we would have delivered to us.
Great Place
In Plant Operator (Current Employee), channelviewDecember 31, 2014
Pros: good pay... good benefits
Cons: not much family time.. long hours
This is a great place to work... good pay good benefits so go for it...if you wanna become a tankerman this is the place to go they have the best tankerman program in the state of texas! wow this 40 word minimum is getting annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's never boring, but your gone 2/3rds of your life
Relief Captain (Former Employee), Houston, TXOctober 18, 2014
Pros: you make good money
Cons: your away from home 20 days at a time
Every day is a new adventure,You load barges,clean and wash the boat.Spring time you chip and paint.you live on the boat 20 days at a time then you go home for 10 days.
Great place to learn the Marine Transportation Industry
Marine Traffic Scheduler (Current Employee), Houston, TXOctober 7, 2014
Pros: great employees, ability to enjoy time off.
Cons: pay could be better, system is cumbersome and hard to learn.
Kirby is the largest inland tank barge operator in the U.S. with over 800 tank barges and over 200 boats in service. We serve customers across the country and are based in Houston, TX with offices in New York, Hawaii, Louisiana and Florida. The dispatchers work a 7 days on, 7 days off rotational schedule for 12 hours each day. The hours are long and the pay isn't the best but this company will teach you everything you want to learn about the inland tank barge business. There are many opportunities for advancement and a wealth of experience from which to learn but this is by no means an easy job. The hardest part of the job is learning the program used for monitoring vessels and mastery of it can take years. The office has a professional but not stuffy feel and management does their best to keep everyone abreast of changes through meetings and conferences. Your co-workers will be the best part about the job as everyone shares a desire to succeed and help each other.
greta working environment
Scheduler (Former Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 13, 2014
work 7 days on and 7 days off
12 hour shifts
no on call duties
loud working environment
great networking place
productive and fun place to work at
Tankerman (Current Employee), Channelview, TXAugust 5, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: away from home
family oriented travel across the united states. good company the most enjoyable thing about the company is the company picinc
Productive company
Crew Development Coordinator (Current Employee), Channelview, TXJuly 9, 2014
A typical day at work is helping the vessel employees with their training and development. Kirby is a big corporation and is very family orientated. Kirby is a fast pace working atmosphere. Kirby has a great training development program for vessel employees.
on the rive
Dackhand (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAMay 1, 2014
the job was so good i have love my job i have fix there boat up i have enjoy the job so much some time i would never get off the boat for time off some time i would stay no the boat for 3 mouth at a time
Good place to work..
Tankerman Trainee (Current Employee), channelview tx 77530March 19, 2014
Pros: good money
Cons: working with dangerous chemicals and staying on the water for a month at a time.
Loading and discharging of dangerous chemicals to customers. Cleaning, painting and general upkeep of the towboat.
Not for the lazy
Tankerman Level 4 (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: all expenses paid when you arrive at work
Cons: few days off, poor family time
Great job & pay. I obtained knowledge of all types of dangerous chemicals. I worked with the guys I trained so I knew there strong & weak points. Being away from home is the hardest part of this job, I loved the travel
It is a home away from home riding the rivers for 28 days at a time.
Tankerman Level 4 (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: free meals, great benefits
Cons: being away from family for long periods of time.
Riding the rivers on a towboat seeing sites you may not otherwise see. Safety is a big concern of the company and the importance is always reminded. Management is open to suggestions to make the boats better for the workers and the co-workers are like family away from home. Being away from my family is the hardest part of the job. The working relationships and different views of scenery are probably the most enjoyable.
Great place to start a career.
Operations Supervisor/Tankerman PIC (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 31, 2014
Investing in their employees is the way to go. Safety awards and bonuses. If your young and looking to work. This is it.
General day on the boat !
Level 4 Deckhand/ Tankerman (Current Employee), Houston, TXNovember 14, 2013
Pros: just like being at home .
Cons: im not at home all the time.
My General day on the boat consist of working on the front watch with the boat captain, @ 0500 hr . 0700 start my routine general clean up , then i start prep-in lunch for the crew which is to be ready at 1200 hr . once im done prep in the food i go down to the engine room and do my morning engine room ck which consist of ck engine oil, generators ,leaks, fuel and water levels. Then once that is done i pretty much wash up and ck on lunch and ck out my barges make sure things are in working order as planed . All this if im not called to dock. I love my job it fun adventures rewarding. Good crew plenty of experience.
Overall the company was a good company.
Deckhand/Tankerman Trainee (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAOctober 8, 2013
Pros: they fed us really good out there.
Cons: did not like the way they had shifts set up.
On a typical work day, we usually worked pretty hard, but that is expected out there. I learned a good bit about barges and how to become a tankerman. The managment was pretty good, co-workers most of them were pleasent to work with. The hardest part of the job was having to stay up long hours when needed to, and the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to learn different things.
Great travel and pay!
Tankerman (Former Employee), Channelview, TXAugust 9, 2013
Great training programs for boat crews, and alot of room for advancement.
fast paced and always moving people from place to place
Crew Dispatch Supervisor (Former Employee), Channelview, TXJuly 24, 2013
setting up travel for all vessel crews and having the correct amount people going to the vessels. i have learned about the marine industry.
managers are very good there and they get involved to help with any type of problems. i built a very good working relationship with my co-workers. making sure all vessels where crewed properly. be able to let the guys off the vessels to go home to there famlies.
Not a place for someone who doesn't have a high position relative.
Deckhand/Make Ready (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAJuly 21, 2013
Pros: paid vacation days.
Cons: too many work days due to being on call, incompetent supervisor.
Some days its slow at work and sometimes there's a lot of work there. I've learned how to strip and inspect a barge. The management is horrible and incompetent. My co-workers aren't all that great neither. The hardest part of the job is being on call. The most enjoyable part of the job is the night shift.
Enjoyed working there
Receipts Application Analyst (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 16, 2013
Pros: work hours
Cons: healthcare
Company was flexable with work hours. Meet a lot of nice people and enjoyed working there.

Kirby Inland Marine Salaries