Kirby

Kirby Employer Reviews

Door to Door demonstrarter
Demonstration and Sales (Former Employee), Ontario,CaApril 14, 2014
Cons: comission
Worked Door to door advertising, demonstrating product and making sales
Office is closed
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Fort wayne, INApril 6, 2014
the owners of the office I worked at are no longer in business.
fun and productive work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Chula Vista, CAMarch 30, 2014
Pros: fun work environment
Cons: commission pay
fun work environment but pay was based on commission. Very flexible work schedule and hard working managers and co-workers.
Terrible job if you desperately need money.
Seller (Former Employee), Apopka, FloridaMarch 24, 2014
Pros: driving.
Cons: everything else. no promise of compensation. hard to sell, etc...
A typical day at work: You start work at 8am, you go in for a morning meeting, and then you are off to random houses. While at these houses, you will work very hard. You will scrub, vacuum, and try your best at remembering how the vacuum works. You will receive no breaks, (even if you work for 16hrs like I did.) You are never promised a check at the – more... end of the week/month. You must sell three vacuums in order to receive any type of compensation...The vacuums run past $1,000 in price....Selling three is much harder than it sounds. If you sell one or two, you will not be getting any compensation. You must sell three or more. If you work 80hrs a week, and you do not sell any vacuums....Or maybe one to two a week, you will be working for free...You will not receive any form of compensation. Honestly, if you have no other form of income, please do not do this job...You will most likely be working for free. It is a very tough job with no benefits, no promise of compensation, and you will barely have any free time. I strongly advise against this.

What I learned: You can work all you want....With no pay. It's hard, you rarely sell, you rarely get a check (I never did), it is not worth it.

Management: They were rude. You are making THEM money. You do not get anything until you have sold three....At (on the lower end) $1,000 per vacuum, selling three, they make $3,000. They pay you maybe $300. You could have worked 80hrs that week, and made $300. As I stated, selling is harder than it sounds....Much harder....Even in the rich neighborhoods. You could also sell two at $1,000 a piece and make nothing for working 80hrs. They just made $2,000 off of FREE work.

My co-workers: They were nice people. Most of which were brain-washed by the promises of fancy Cadillac cars, lots of money, management positions, and free cruises....By the third day, we were all skeptical....I ended up "embarrassing" the manager by telling him that it was a scam, that no pay-checks are promised, and that we were working for free...He had no words...Many left...I ended up quitting.

The hardest part of the job: Selling. It is almost impossible to sell a $1,000+ vacuum in this economy. Also, working hard, 80hrs+ a week, with no promise of compensation is a blow.

The most enjoyable part of the job: Well, you do get to drive around a lot....See rich neighborhoods, and different places.... – less
Family oriented Work
Canvaser (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: on-site prizes and trips
Cons: door to door
Everyone is super friendly thier but the job is hard and xtreamly stressful
sucks
Customer service- Call Center (Former Employee), denverFebruary 12, 2014
wasnt the place for me not the type to sale things every day and cold calling was the only good thing
sales
Sales Associate/ Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Hasbrouck Heights, NJFebruary 10, 2014
customers were great it was very hard in the beginning but it was worth the hard work and dedication
Kirby
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Hamilton ,NjFebruary 3, 2014
selling of vaccums and going to customers houses. The coworkers were great to work with.
Distributed Kirby vacuums
Distributor (Former Employee), Appleton, WIJanuary 29, 2014
Went into private homes to demonstrate and attempt to sell Kirby vacuums. I learned everything about Kirby vacuums. I had to drive a lot, which I did not particularly enjoy.
Salesmen job
Salesman (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: if you can sell you make good money
Cons: you have to sell to get any money
show up at the office get in with a group of people and go door to door selling vacuums
thay never payed me
Sales Representative (Former Employee), belair mdJanuary 24, 2014
thay never payed me i worked hard and sold alot i sold alot i worked from sun up to sun down and never got paid
Dishonest
Direct In-Home Sales (Former Employee), Athens, GAJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: learned sales techniques
Cons: everything else
The job of a Kirby sales rep is fairly straightforward: Knock on a lot of doors, try to set up demonstrations of the product and follow through with demos and sales.

The idea is simple enough: get in front of enough people and you will eventually sell machines. I was quite good at this. I moved a lot of equipment in a very short period of time. While – more... I was able to do this, the pay was decent, receiving a small commission based on the closing price I was able to secure. Then I got promoted to sales instructor. That is where the trouble began.

Essentially, the job was now to sell incoming jobseekers on the idea of the Kirby Inc program. The problem with this was two fold. 1.) I was explicitely instructed to lie to incoming individuals, to tell them whatever they wanted to hear in order to get them to complete the training program and make it to the field. This led to a lot of angry individuals and disenfranchised people after a day or two. 2.) I was making less money as an instructor than I had been in the field. One of the biggest supposed benefits of working for this company is its upward mobility if you rapidly succeed. I did that, unfortunately, the payoff was even less than the grunt work I had done to get there.

Do not join. Not worth the hours spent or effort. – less
loved seeing managers do nothing but be on facebook and youtube all day
demonstrator (Former Employee), davenportJanuary 12, 2014
Pros: pool table in break room.
Cons: everything else
january of 2014 davenport iowa
door to doors sales (told i wouldnt be doingt that)
i learned this place was a joke and full of lies
the hiring lady said she been there two months. orientation/ training day (which you dont get paid for) i swear the people that were hired looked homeless i felt out of place. the people i did meet there were kind; the – more... longest one working there was 3 months. it all seems fishy to me. if you are making this money shouldnt you have work professional clothing and such. the people were far from work professional. tattoo's all over crazy peircings, and cursing from managers left and right. Messy office location. I felt hurt and lied to. I just moved to davenport so i was looking for a job with customer service because i like it and im good at it.. this is not customer service. the hardest part about the job is being lied to about everything. the most enjoyable part was when you didnt know the lies were lies and you believed it. oh and i didnt get paid at all. – less
sales person
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Bronx, NYJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: met alot of new people
Cons: could not make it my career
Basically had to have good customer service. Sold company products to strangers.
Salesman
Salesman (Former Employee), Romulus, MIJanuary 9, 2014
A typical day at Kirby seemed frustrating in a sense of going door to door trying to get in various people home doing a presentation making a sale out of the product. I learned how to be even more patient with people and gained some sales experience. Management was cool because he was laid back joking with all his co-workers. All my co-worker was friendly – more... helping if you needed it. The hardest part for me was making sales. What I enjoyed most was when I did make a sell it was fun and the events we attended. – less
Unprofessional work environment
Salesman (Former Employee), Blaine, MNJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: commission
Cons: horrible staff, work environment.
Drug using staff. Demand 24 hours of sales every day of the week. Management continuously lies to employees. There is an opportunity to make a good amount of money selling their vacuums but it's not worth it here.
Positive and fun
Independent Sales Representative (Former Employee), Mundelein, ILDecember 29, 2013
Pros: amazing bosses, great pay
Cons: driving long distances, long work days, 10.99 taxes
I learned a lot from this company and its employees. I learned how to be a sales person and a very good one if i do say so myself. I learned that its all about your attitude if your positive and you surround yourself in positivity anything is possible.
fun job as a college student
INDEPENDENT SALES (Former Employee), Auburn, ALDecember 3, 2013
Pros: commission
Cons: cold weather
fast paced great place to work when you want to control your paycheck
a day at work
Sales (Former Employee), River Falls, WINovember 26, 2013
Pros: the learning experience
Cons: the door to door sales and didn't get paid hourly
i would go to peoples houses and try to sell them a kirby vacuum
Productive fun and friendly place to work..
Independent Dealer (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZNovember 14, 2013
Pros: you get to be your own boss
Cons: you do work long hours if you truely want to do good and make lots of money
Very lax and healthy work averment... You would go to the office for a morning meeting and after leave to start your day going door to door setting up demos. It really helps you learn patience and customer service skills. The hardest part of the job is keeping your spirit up, because every once in a while you have those people r areas where you just – more... cant get in. As long as you stay positive good things are bound to happen. – less

1 2 3 4