Kirkland's Employee Reviews

Good part time job for students
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  SCMarch 23, 2016
This is an intense part time job! All employees do a lot of hard work and actually labor (lift heavy boxes, build furniture). Its a fun atmosphere helping customers decorate their homes, but the company is not at all good to their employees. I would only consider advancing in this company long term if the company was different. It is hard work and an extraordinary amount of learning you need to do for a part time job for such low pay. The company bends over backwards to do literally ANYTHING to make the customers happy and throws their employees under the bus. There is no consideration for employees on holidays or anything really. They were the worst part about my job through the two years I was there. Also a very STRESSFUL job for any level of management!!!
Pros
advancement opportunities
Cons
low pay, few hours, STRESS
Fun work environment, good team effort.
Retail Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 14, 2016
I enjoyed my experience with Kirkland's. Well organized and good management. The only drawback is there is limited mobility and limited hours available for work each week, as all positions are part-time except for manager and assistant manager. Considering the limited hours available to work each week, the application questionnaire is on the level of a career position.
Overall, it is a good place to work.
Pros
Creative outlet. Team work environment.
Cons
limited hours available to work, schedule is computerized so not much flexibility, required to work weekends.
Fun environment to work.
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 26, 2016
Overall, working for the company was a good experience. I feel management could get better training and development. The hardest part of the job was the freight processing within the timeframe given. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with some really great employees that had drive.
Pros
Offered fun contests and good benefits
Cons
Short breaks, hard work/life balance for managers
Ok job if you want only 10-15 hours.
Sales Associate (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Brandon, FLFebruary 21, 2016
I worked here for almost a year now and I suffer from many issues due to the fact of the freight and how you have to unload it. My freight team was only me and one other person to unload 300-400 boxes. Management was good until they fired the good manager we had. If you want these problems that so many before had then Go ahead for it! But management is a big issue and they really don't care! Team members are awesome to work with here at this location.
Pros
Employee discounts
Cons
Bad management pain on a daily basis
Good company to work for, hate they closed down.
Third Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NCFebruary 11, 2016
This company is closed down, no longer in business. I enjoyed working with customers, greeting them and assisting them with Kirklands merchandise. Co workers were very good to work with. We all worked together to make our jobs better, Management was fair, always gave good input about the store. Hardest part about the job, I did not care to make night deposit at the bank. Enjoyable part about the job, we all care about each other.
Pros
Good company to work for in retails.
Cons
Did not work their full time for benefits.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CADecember 16, 2015
A typical day at work would consist of clocking in and getting right into my schedule greeting customers and helping with purchase if need be. I learned a lot working for Kirkland's such as the quality of customer service, how to unload stock and put inventory on the shelves, how to operate the cash register, how to maintain a clean and safe work environment,and even merchandising. The management at Kirkland's was very friendly and helping. My co-workers at Kirkland's was also very friendly and helping. The hardest part of the job was when the store got busy with customers and I had to multitask between several duties at once. The most enjoyable part about the job was getting to help the customers and the fast paste environment.
Pros
Sales benefits
Cons
Short breaks
Awesome Company to work for.
2nd Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 10, 2016
The team was amazing and the flexibility was on point. The team was dependable and very motivated. The most enjoyable moments at Kirkland's was working with customers and turning their houses into homes with the products and services that Kirkland Home D├ęcor had to offered.
Pros
Benefits, vacation, and balance work life
Cons
Short breaks and extension of hours doing the holidays
Fun fast paced atmosphere!!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Matthews, NCNovember 5, 2015
As a sales associate at Kirkland's a typical day is very fast paced. Customers are constantly asking for my opinion on how something may look or just general questions about a product. I've learned so much such as how to increase sales and how to build displays. Our management is great. Although they may be a little too ambitious at times, which is a good thing but also can be taxing under the people working for them. The hardest part of my job are truck days. We get in a lot of merchandise and all has to be unloaded in a certain amount of time. The most enjoyable part of my day are the people I work with. Most have such vibrant personalities and it just makes for a good time while working.
Pros
Events, dressing up on holidays, employee discounts
Cons
no benefits
Not worth working for
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairview Heights, ILSeptember 20, 2016
Kirkland's presents itself as an upright, Christian company. They are Not!
Pro: customers are nice, the discount is good and you know what is going on sale first.
Cons: no training, no advancement, pitiful pay for the hard and strenuous work being done, no raises even if you have been there afyer a year, lots of back stabbing and the managers will throw you under the bus at the drop of a hat. Schedule never up on time and no flexibility. You aren't allowed to question managers, at all!
Pros
Customers, discount, first crack at sale items
Cons
Low pay, management is uncaring and back stabbing, lots of very heavy lifting, no training, no advancement, no raises.
Productive place, some Team parties.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJuly 1, 2016
Woke up got dressed went to work, cleaned, picked up then put new sales signs up before opening door, then helped customers, an sold items. Learned how to do quicker calculations, how to set up a table for decoration an displays. Management was a little off, but well maintained. Co-workers worked great together an did their jobs. Hardest part of the job stocking the back after the truck arrived with merchandise. The most enjoyable was freight work, an un-packaging products to stock.
Pros
Discounts an k-bucks (In-store money)
Cons
Short - no breaks, healthcare, few hours.
Very active job, great atmosphere
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXAugust 25, 2016
I currently enjoy working here. They work with my school schedule and are very encouraging of furthering my career.
The truck nights can be a pain because regardless of the weather you are still expected to unload it
The employees are usually up beat and friendly making work fun and the time go by fast
The hours are pretty short only 5 hours so it's not too bad and you there are all kinds of shifts from early mornings to late nights to help if you're in school
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Short lunch breaks, low pay
Very busy place to work. Great customers poor management!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 11, 2016
Constant floor moves that are always scheduled on holidays itself so you never get to enjoy days with family! Kirklands does not compensate well at all for the amount of heavy lifting and work you have to continuously do. Always a new rule everyday no flexability for staff but wants you to be flexable to accommodate the many task at hand. No vacation for 3rd asst. Managers but you work just as hard and as much the store or senior manager. You are considered part time no matter how many hours you work therefore scheduling is fixed at 4 hours shifts that constantly fluctuate 5 days out of the week so you cant have a second job or breaks. Used to love working here until new management was hired without a clue on how to merchandise,train,or make a schedule or be flexable. Dm does not value staff under her store Manager or Senior.
Pros
20%discount
Cons
No breaks, under paid, and no flexabilty
Will Burn Through You
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Folsom, CAJanuary 21, 2016
Retail - On a store level, the customers are GREAT and the product is fun to display and merchandise throughout the store. However, upper management (District and above) is so detached from actual store functions it makes executing directives impossible. Merchandise changes weekly, and getting it impacted to the floor is a miraculous feat in the time given. Continuous markdowns and cycling of product is a disaster for maintaining a clean and polished appearance. This would not be an issue if staffing was anywhere near adequate, which is not likely for hiring minimum wage employees who must work minimal hours per week. There is no time for training, no time for delegating to team members - it all falls on management, who could be better used in sales and service than being stuck in a stockroom or up a ladder.
Really awful communication about these points when directed to management - if you have a problem with the work or question the directives, you're out (in one way or another).
I recommend you steer clear of this company.
Great company with minor flaws
Senior Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMay 31, 2016
I loved working at Kirkland's I was promoted twice in the 2 years I worked there. There are some poor communication between corporate and the stores. Also the technology is very outdated, but the were updating it slowly. The stores are very flexible with the schedule, but often times you have to work outside your availability. The truck process kind of stinks, but it is not horrible. The products in the store are not great, but they are affordable.
Pros
Store discount, pay is better than minimum wage, typically short shifts
Cons
everyone has to do everything, poor technology
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cookeville, TNApril 4, 2016
This is a great place to work if you're looking for something to earn a little bit extra cash. However if you are wanting enough hours to pay bills this place does not give you that option. You will need to pick up another job on the side unless you are in management.
Pros
Great atmostpher
Cons
not enough hours
Productive and fun workplace with a good attitude
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cookeville, TNApril 12, 2016
A typical day at work is very laid back and casual, clock in and greet all of the customers, check people out, help them with items they want, go around and make sure all of the displays are organized.
The management is very friendly and fun to work with, they will help keep you busy but they don't make you do everything on your own. The "work load" is not overwhelming and everyone is a team player.
The hardest part of the job is either not being able to lift things on your own, and not being able to sign people up for the K-cards - those are two things that are out of everyone's control though.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the environment, all of the managers and customers are very happy and light-hearted. I've never experienced a stressful day at Kirklands.
Pros
good discounts, free food on busiest days of the year
Holidays are Great Plenty to eat!
Inbound Appointment Clerk / Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Jackson, TNFebruary 5, 2016
Answer phones, assisting, scheduling trucks, data entry, monitoring tardiest...Prep orientation and carry out management requests...Co-workers work as a team with a soft and pleasant environment...Hardest part If an employee is out of control and has to be escorted out of the building by security...
most enjoyable is working with clients and employees since that I am a people person. Greet them with a smile and talk to them as if they are not a stranger.

Thanks,
company was misrepresented by district manager at time of hire
Senior Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALAugust 18, 2016
was promised bonuses, training & advancement which were not given, worst management team I have ever worked with!!! Like company products & loved customer base. Also liked hours of operation & the fact that they were closed on Easter so employees could spend time with their families
Pros
Good products & great customer base
Cons
there was NO company training for any employee from management on down
Fast-paced, multi-faceted, dynamic environment.
Sales Support Team Member (Current Employee) –  Mishawaka, INSeptember 1, 2016
Working for Kirkland's has been a fast-paced and always changing position. Very physical as well as mental. The hardest part of my job is standing twenty feet in the air, lifting merchandise onto our tip tops or taking the merchandise down. My management team and co-workers have longevity with the company, they are dedicated to their job and show a willingness to cultivate a positive work environment.
Overated manager
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Slidell, LADecember 21, 2015
The manager who hired me was a wonderful and professional person to work with. She had been there many years. She knew exactly what to do and say if you had a question.....When we got a new manager. the atmosphere changed totally...She was unprofessional, rude, never had the answers needed, cut hours, had had favorites ...she dressed unprofessionally showing tattoos and piercings and came to work looking like she just rolled out of bed..she used profanity on the sales floor and was basically a terrible manager. everyone I worked with quit including myself due to this person we worked for. I would work for Kirklands again part time, but not at the same location.
Pros
nice merchandise
Cons
terrible management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kirkland's. Our community is ready to answer.