Kirkland & Ellis LLP Employee Reviews

Hard work rewarded
Litigation Attorney (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 15, 2017
This is a swim or drown type of company, you need to make sure you really want to practice law at the highest levels before working here. Working with the smartest and most driven people.
Demanding IT department - No Work/Life Balance
Messagin Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 24, 2017
Kirkland has one of the most talented IT departments I have ever worked for. There is opportunity to learn all the latest and greatest technologies here because Kirkland has a leading edge IT organization. However, since it's a law firm, it's very demanding because the goal is perfection and nothing less. Working 12 to 14 hour days is not uncommon. However, the compensation is off the charts and may justify not having a life with your family. The managers are supportive of their team members, especially when things are going well. A typical day starts and ends with constant fires that have to be distinguished. The best part of your day is that there is always something to do. Some managers are more demanding than others. They have to push their team so all the metrics they are measured against are met / or exceeded. The most enjoyable part of working here is the diverse group of people you get to spend time with in the trenches. You develop some great friendships as you work with all the cross-functional teams to get work done.
Pros
Always something to do...never run out of work.
Cons
Family life suffers because you have to continue working once you get home
Interesting Environment to work in
Billing Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 11, 2017
Work environment is very cut throat and discriminatory. There is barely a work/life balance. Managers and Supervisors are not encouraging to team members.
Pros
Great benefits
K&E's job culture is very rigid and elitist.
Legal Secretary - Corporate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 8, 2017
K&E hiring practice discourage hiring of older applicants. Management prefers to hire young, new graduates that they can pay less. They often replace seasoned K&E employees with these new hires.
Pros
Free breakfast.
Cons
Strict working environment.
Great Staff
Digital Imaging Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 7, 2017
Productive and Fun place to work, busy place, and great area to eat, walk, and just relax, workplace culture is peaceful, the hardest part about the job is just staying focus.
ok to go
IPR/Patent Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 20, 2017
We can certainly empathize with the acclimation processes- especially when it comes to acronyms- a common challenge that many of our new hires.........
Traditional and strict corporate law environment
Conflicts Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 15, 2017
Entrepreneurial, able to work overtime as desired. However, unfriendly and competitive environment will quickly drain you.
Pros
Free breakfast
Cons
Everything else
Outstanding place to work
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 19, 2015
Excellent working environment, salary and benefits
The most enjoyable part of my job was traveling with the legal team
Awesome working relationship with partners to whom I was assigned
Training available for anyone wanting to learn more in order to enhance their skills and prepare for promotions
Pros
Free continental breakfast for staff
Fantastic Firm
Legal Secretary (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 15, 2015
Kirkland is an amazing place to work. The benefits are fantastic and the opportunities dynamic. In addition, the people are outstanding with the teamwork being one of a kind
Supportive Management
Lead Data warehouse Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 10, 2015
Working for the Kirkland and Ellis was a remarkable experience. I appreciated the intelligent, competent, and committed staff.
Pros
much opportunity for job training; paid time off is appropriate to manage correctional stress.
Outstanding Law Firm with high standards
Conference Center Event Coordinator (Current Employee) –  ChicagoJune 17, 2015
A typical day at the office consists of meetings and/or conference calls to plan events. High volume of e-mail and phone calls are answered.
Kirkland has very high standards and I've learned so much about how to meet expectations for clients and attorneys. I have a great team and we all work well together at providing outstanding client service.
Pros
great benefits, great co-workers, overall generous Firm, overtime
Professional
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 3, 2015
Dependable, professional environment, offering very good compensation and benefits. However, the firm is flat, so there is very little room for advancement, unless someone in a higher position leaves. There also doesn't seem to be much emphasis on employee development (except for the multitude of application trainings, which improve one's skills, but do not develop an employee himself). Work hours are very inflexible (9AM-5PM, and cannot be changed to, for example, 8AM-4PM). No telecommuting.
Always an opportunity to learn more.
Food and Conference Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 14, 2015
I loved working at Kirkland & Ellis. I had exceptional co workers and I worked with a lot of exceptional lawyers. It was more of a family at Kirkland than a place of employment.
Pros
Management could have been a little better. I know worse has been experienced.
Cons
I am grateful to have been a part of the Kirkland & Ellis family.
Productive, long hours
Word Processor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 8, 2015
Support staff is compensated well
Great compensation; Great training
Very generous bonuses
Excellent group of colleagues and attorneys
Compensation for overtime and flextime.
Fast-paced, intense yet rewarding environment
Conference Center Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 9, 2014
If you are not afraid to work hard, multi-task, and provide above and beyond customer service, then this is the place for you to start your career. The skills you will learn are essential for any work environment. If you can make it in this workplace, you can make it in any administrative position.
productive.
Project Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 14, 2014
great place to work. great management and flexible work hours.
Best job I ever had
Executive Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 13, 2014
No longer in business so there is nothing to say here.
Had it not gone under, I'd still be there and plan to retire from there.
Pros
Best!
Cons
No longer in business
Sophisticated practice
Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 27, 2014
This is a great place to learn and get the benefit of top pay in the industry.
Kirkaland and ellis LLP
Office/ Purchasing Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 20, 2014
My daily routine varies greatly day by day. I am responsible for answering phones, delegating tasks, purchasing all items for the office and high levels of customer service. I create spreadsheets set up banquet rooms and mange the companies invoices. I am the first point of contact for all requests and I take great pride in the knowledge I have gained throughout my years at Kirkland. The most enjoyable part of the job is the opportunity for learning. Every minute of everyday I could be faced with a new task. Something I've never faced before.
Pros
My attorney's are awesome!
Cons
poor interdepartmental communication.
Great high energy firm.
IP Trial Legal Secretary/Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 28, 2014
Provided strong excellent secretarial support to three share partners and one associate; recommended or made decisions and took independent action following broad objectives on strategic and operational matters affecting major function within the practice group; resolved major issues involving external client service coordination, billing adjustments or special information needs via in person or over the phone; served as Lead Trial Secretary for numerous high profiled trials; assisted practice group leader and attorneys in development of various data; provided professional, courteous and flexibility when dealing with clients on behalf of attorney; planned, scheduled and delegated for upcoming trials sites in/out of state for attorneys, clients, and expert witnesses; organized set up/break down of trial offices; negotiated contracts and pricing for hotel/conference room arrangements and vendors for litigation services; prepared trial exhibits and deposition designations; prepared witness files for deposition preparation and testimony in court; prepared and arranged for service of subpoenas; and managed and prepared depositions and testimony for hearings.
Pros
Interaction with high profiled clients.
Cons
Heavy travel schedule and being away from my family months at a time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kirkland & Ellis LLP. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3