Kirkwood Community College Employee Reviews

Job review
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tipton, IANovember 9, 2016
It is a great place to work close to home. Each days has a different schedule so you don't get bored. The staff and students are great to work with and help.
Pros
close to home
Cons
part time hours
great job
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 15, 2016
worked as a part time office assistant this was a perfect job for a college student, the staff was very nice too the pay wasn't the best but they offer discount on tuition
Organized classroom and driving schedules for (50) students per semester,
Driver education teacher (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IowaAugust 25, 2016
Kirkwood management worked very hard to accommodate our schedules, A nice company to work for, job, I enjoyed the freedom of being outdoors, woking with young adults.
Pros
Worked and managed my time throughout the day, I knew what I professionally had to accomplish each day.
Cons
No benefits for the job, working on some Sundays, which I felt disrupted families plans
Laid back and fun place to work. Great coworkers.
Grounds Crew (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAApril 24, 2016
Great place to work all around if you like working outdoors. Your co-workers are nice and fun to work with. I learned how to maintain the campus and run equipment. Its provides great hours and is very flexible. A typical workday is from 7am to 3:30pm.
good experience
Admission Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMarch 10, 2016
it was a good experienced that taught me a lot.. I enjoyed working with a Iowa City staff and they were helpful and encouraging.
Pros
good and friendly work environment
Cons
N/A
Enjoyed a fulfilling career teaching Equestrian Science
PROFESSOR, ADVISOR, FACULTY LEAD (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 3, 2016
Education and office operations are just a few of the things I learned in my time at Kirkwood Community College. I loved the interaction with students and other college employees. The opportunity to help people brought me great personal satisfaction. I worked with many fair and kind managers while there who had to make tough decisions. The hardest part of my job was loosing it due to the elimination of my department from the college.
Pros
Wonderful people, personal fulfillment
Audio Visual Technician (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 26, 2016
Awesome place with great people i have learned everything in my field since i have been here. I am at the top of my profession here and need more challenges.
Pros
People and benefits
Cons
Advancement
Student employment
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJanuary 5, 2016
Position is work study only - no benefits. The other staff and employees in the Iowa City credit center are wonderful to work with. Very team oriented.
student
Meds Manager (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IADecember 7, 2015
This was a class I had to take, when I was there. Always be on time, I always follow instruction, I always do my homework and I always pass the tests.
Great benefits
High School Completion Math Instructor (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IANovember 28, 2015
Great benefits including insurance reimbursement if select a less expensive plan, 4 weeks vacation, holidays, and tuition reimbursement.
Pros
Provide learning opportunities.
Highly educational
Adjunct Instructor-ACE (Current Employee) –  Coralville, IAOctober 29, 2015
Cutting edge on alternative education. Exceptional care to learning outside the class room. This organization gives all students the opportunity to achieve their career goals.
Pros
Molding young minds
Cons
Always budgeting
productive and fun place to work
Art Professor (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAOctober 18, 2015
I would recommend Caldera to anyone desiring top notch professionalism in the design field. Co-workers were exceptionally nice and management extremely professional. It is an excellent company to work for.
Fun learning environment
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAOctober 12, 2015
A typical day would consist of arriving to whichever room I was in charge of 15 minutes early; ensuring all the computers were turned on for the arrival of the students. I learned; "The more you know, the more you don't know." So many students had questions that I couldn't answer, but I tried my best to help each student.
Meeting new people every week was the Boom.
Transportation Instructor (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 4, 2015
In a typical day at work, I had the opportunity to help students learn such things as how to do inspections, both Pre&Post, on a tractor trailer. How to back them up in many different ways. How to shift gears and drive in traffic.
My co-workers were very knowledgeable, and very helpful to one another. If you were to take all the experience and it together it would equal more than 200 years.
As for the hardest part of my job it would have to be when all is done some of the students just couldn"t make the cut, for a short time I took this personally, until I realized this is not for everyone. Whereas the most enjoyable part was when the students would have the light come on, I did take this personally, whereas I felt I had done what the Lord put me here to do, and that was to help someone to achieve a goal. Seeing their faces light up was great!
Really the only down side to this job was, I think the management was doing the students and the instructors a disservice in that they tried to manage as if the students were college students, and had the ability to learn as such. I feel as if we were teaching to a test more than for a career as a Truck Driver!
Great Staff
clinical adjunct (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 1, 2015
Staff is very supportive of Adjunct staff. It is always a learning experience teaching new students, and staff is easy to contact with any questions which arise.
Pros
Free Continuing Educations classes
Workable Schedule, Very low Pay
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 3, 2015
I was assigned students to work with directly and we scheduled times to meet and locations. You receive a higher wage if you do walk-in tutoring, but that was not available for my program.
High quality OTA program with instructors who invest in every student.
Occupational Therapy Assistant Student (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJuly 10, 2015
Kirkwood Community College's 5-semester Occupational Therapy Assistant program implements a balanced blend of classwork and fieldwork to thoroughly prepare students for entry into a growing field.
the ability to work, the freedom to innovate, the support to grow
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJune 18, 2015
Kirkwood is an amazing place to work because of those who the administration hires as directors and mentors. Kirkwood allows adjunct instructors a great deal of latitude to assist students in their education.
Pros
Assistance upon request
Cons
not a great deal of opportunity for transitioning to full time
A cultural workplace
LAB TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJune 18, 2015
My day would begin with checking which lab I would monitor for the day and go there. When i arrive i go to my seat and wait for students to arrive. If any students have any questions I answer them to the best of my ability. And make sure no school property is stolen.
The hardest part of my job was searching for answers to questions students asked me. The most enjoyable part of the job would be talking with so many different people.
Pros
ample time to finish my homework
Cons
n/a
Great people to work with at a nationally respected institution.
Broadcast Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IowaJune 17, 2015
My position was definitely not a drudgery job as an assembly line job would be. There was a lot of variation of duties at all Kirkwood locations within the seven county area that Kirkwood covers that kept it interesting during the typical work week. One day I may be working in classrooms doing installs at al outlying center, the next day I may be at the main campus calibrating equipment for TV or Student Productions, or KCCK-FM.
Pros
Overall - nice people to work with, and great benefits.
Cons
Instructors can be a bit technically challenged. Patience is a must.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kirkwood Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5