Kirkwood Community College Employee Reviews

This was an excellent starter job in grantsmanship
Grant Writer (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 29, 2018
Work was intense, but sometimes mundane. I found that the Institution was unwilling to consider the importance of on-time graduation rates, and it did not consider more challenging intellectual projects.
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
Insufficiently challenging
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 8, 2018
Two (2) college with quality leadership, administration, work force, and facility. Great place for students to acquire an exposure to advance college education prior to transferring to a four (4) year institution.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
The pay is lousy but the benefits and people are top notch
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IANovember 3, 2017
I worked there 2009-11 as an Office Coordinator (basically an executive secretary). I loved my job and the people I worked with but there was no advancement track for office coordinators unless you had a 4 year or better degree and that would have cost thousands of dollars. I had an AA degree (which you would think would be adequate for a community college who sells the benefits of an AA education, but wasn't.) I averaged $12/hr. while there which was less than I made at a similar a corporate position in 1991 so pay is definitely lacking. I had to take in boarders while working there because the pay was not enough to cover an average rent or mortgage payment.

Kirkwood does have great benefits for full time, however, so if yours is the second paycheck in your household, this makes up for a lack of pay (which should be closer to $15-17/hr) . Medical, dental, vision, pension plan, free tuition for full time employees, etc. The people were wonderful except a few quirky ones thrown in and one part-time adjunct professor who groped me in the parking lot (and who was not asked back the following semester.)
Pros
Great people, excellent benefits
Cons
Full time is rare and pay is low.
They walk thier talk...
EAGLETECH MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 18, 2017
Kirkwood speaks of their dedication to their employees, to work/life balance, and lifetime learning. They make all of these very easy to see in practice. I have a great work/life balance - especially when my daughter became very ill and in a children's hospital (I was not allowed to use sick or vacation time, so I could use it for her care after the hospital time). The KCC president ensures that even the non-union staff (as opposed to union-faculty) get the same raise each year. And the college encourages faculty/staff to take classes for free, make other learning opportunities open to all.
Pros
Amazing culture and everyone is always so friendly at work.
Cons
Hard to move up, rather flat organization.
If you can get past Management that only think of themselves.....
Seasonal Grounds Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 7, 2017
Not a bad place to work. Laid back, pretty easy if you know what you are doing. It was better a few years ago, though. Now, after some internal moves, Management is out just for themselves. The funny thing about Kirkwood is you can get your education from them but, they don't hire any Kirkwood grads to permanent positions. They always look outside of Kirkwood to hire first. I guess that says something about Kirkwood.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Lack of pay, selfish Management.
Enjoyed the environment
Office Coordinator, Grants (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJuly 28, 2017
Worked to support the Director and several Grants and other Officers. Answered inquiries, assisted with applications, learned Grants processes. Good workplace culture.
Kirkwood is great
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJuly 10, 2017
I would work at Kirkwood the rest of my life if I could. Most of the deans and administrators are awesome. They always treat you fair in with a great deal of respect.
Pros
too many to list
Cons
Cannot always get fulltime work
Lead Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 27, 2017
Management at Kirkwood goes above and beyond. They are willing to train you to further your career. The people who work at Kirkwood are friendly and make going to work fun.
Pros
Employees are friendly
Cons
Can not get hired for full time position in my department.
Positive atmosphere
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 8, 2017
This is an excellent workplace with positive professors and professional staff. The students seem to be happy overall and pleased to be attending college. This is a great place to work.
Pros
Positive atmosphere
Cons
Not there long enough for cons.
a lot of politics instead of skill evaluation
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 4, 2017
if you can get full time, fine, but don't plan on starting as adjunct and getting on as full time. A lot of paper work for full-time, and evaluations are often by personnel who don't know if the information you teach is correct or not.
Pros
pay isn't bad
Cons
no benefits for adjuncts, no respect for adjuncts
Worked well around school schedule
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 12, 2017
The department was a great to work in. Very fun environment. The management was very flexible. The teachers were great to work with and very easy going.
Job review
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tipton, IANovember 9, 2016
It is a great place to work close to home. Each days has a different schedule so you don't get bored. The staff and students are great to work with and help.
Pros
close to home
Cons
part time hours
great job
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 15, 2016
worked as a part time office assistant this was a perfect job for a college student, the staff was very nice too the pay wasn't the best but they offer discount on tuition
Organized classroom and driving schedules for (50) students per semester,
Driver education teacher (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IowaAugust 25, 2016
Kirkwood management worked very hard to accommodate our schedules, A nice company to work for, job, I enjoyed the freedom of being outdoors, woking with young adults.
Pros
Worked and managed my time throughout the day, I knew what I professionally had to accomplish each day.
Cons
No benefits for the job, working on some Sundays, which I felt disrupted families plans
Laid back and fun place to work. Great coworkers.
Grounds Crew (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAApril 24, 2016
Great place to work all around if you like working outdoors. Your co-workers are nice and fun to work with. I learned how to maintain the campus and run equipment. Its provides great hours and is very flexible. A typical workday is from 7am to 3:30pm.
good experience
Admission Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMarch 10, 2016
it was a good experienced that taught me a lot.. I enjoyed working with a Iowa City staff and they were helpful and encouraging.
Pros
good and friendly work environment
Cons
N/a
Enjoyed a fulfilling career teaching Equestrian Science
PROFESSOR, ADVISOR, FACULTY LEAD (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 3, 2016
Education and office operations are just a few of the things I learned in my time at Kirkwood Community College. I loved the interaction with students and other college employees. The opportunity to help people brought me great personal satisfaction. I worked with many fair and kind managers while there who had to make tough decisions. The hardest part of my job was loosing it due to the elimination of my department from the college.
Pros
Wonderful people, personal fulfillment
Audio Visual Technician (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 26, 2016
Awesome place with great people i have learned everything in my field since i have been here. I am at the top of my profession here and need more challenges.
Pros
People and benefits
Cons
Advancement
Student employment
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJanuary 5, 2016
Position is work study only - no benefits. The other staff and employees in the Iowa City credit center are wonderful to work with. Very team oriented.
student
Meds Manager (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IADecember 7, 2015
This was a class I had to take, when I was there. Always be on time, I always follow instruction, I always do my homework and I always pass the tests.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kirkwood Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5