Kitchell Corporation Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Phoenix Accounting department is suspect. Large turnover.
Accounting Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 16, 2017
After 7 weeks was lead to believe my job performance was top notch. Blindsided by dismissal and was told "too many mistakes ". HORRIBLE INSTRUCTIONS AND TRAINING.
Great company to work for
Project Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAFebruary 2, 2017
As a CM company, you will need to manage many aspects of what you have learned in both school and on the job. Great company that will help you grow in any job choice you may make.
Pros
Great culture
February 13, 2017

Thanks for the great feedback - We couldn't agree more and are happy that you experienced the growth and learning that is such a great part of the Kitchell culture.

fun staff
Sonic Drive In (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 11, 2016
Come in around 9 am everyday, learned people skills, management was alright, co-workers were rude, hardest part was learning the board
February 13, 2017

We're not sure that you're reviewing the right company? We don't have any active projects in Nebraska and are not sure what "board" you're referencing.

Definitely not about the people!
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 26, 2016
Heavily paid at the top and does not care about lower management. Heavy turn over in the past few years. Please don't think about complaining to anyone in Upper management you will fall on deaf ears.
This company has no vision, not willing to change, no fresh ideas because they won't hire anyone that might pass them up.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Ceo, Benefits, pay
February 13, 2017

We’re sorry to see this, especially about the way you portray our environment. As an employee-owned company in which everyone has the opportunity for ownership through profit-sharing, we take very seriously our culture and ensuring that everyone has a voice, and feels empowered to grow and learn. We’re sorry you didn’t experience this.

Big let down
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 9, 2016
Tout family atmosphere but it in an incestuous environment. The leaders are willing to go along ignoring issues to remain popular with the CEO.
Benefits
Cons
Poorly lead at the top, long timers do not accept new people
Solid Company
Senior Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CADecember 8, 2015
Nice to work for owners in a growing field of construction managers. Company has a very transparent policy for all of the employees.
February 13, 2017

Glad to see this nice review! We hope you feel challenged and stay with us a long time, because Kitchell is a great place for those who invest in the long term.

Lip service to safety, transparency, and job quality
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  PhoenixMarch 11, 2015
Emphasis is placed on speed at the cost of safety and quality. Bonuses support quick work while the specs, safe and proper methods, and other product requirements fly out the window. Anyone who stands too hard on safety or proper installation is either disregarded, moved to other projects, or terminated. Obviously not all management falls into a single bucket, but most of the influential ones do. I was sorely disappointed in this company as a mid-level employee. The benefits were fabulous and the rhetoric was impressive, but the reality was a let down.
Pros
Benefits, prestige, project size
Cons
Lack of concern for fundamentals
February 13, 2017

We’re not sure you are reviewing the right company? This review is really an anomaly, as we have a great record of safety, and as organization participate in Arizona Division of Occupational of Safety and Health (ADOSH)’s Voluntary Protection Program (VPP). Our commitment to safety extends not only to the job sites, but also throughout our corporate and field offices. On the upside, we’re glad to hear you liked our benefits!

Family atmoshere and fun to work at.
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 5, 2014
The most recent project we completed we worked together in order to see the project to completion, despite deficiencies from the architect. I had great mentors in a Senior PM and Superintendent that i gained alot of knowledge from.
Pros
Four day work weeks onsite.
Cons
One has to have tough skin.
February 13, 2017

This is awesome to see and great that you were able to learn on the job, as well as learn how to work with our building partners. Thanks for your kind words.

Poor Management
Building Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 25, 2014
Poor salary and management lacks leadership. Does not pay on-call, retirement is a joke.
Pros
Hour Lunches
Cons
Many different departments to work within and enjoyed producing materials that were requested. I enjoyed that people I worked with each day!
CORPORATE COMMUNICATIONS- PRODUCTION COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 8, 2014
Each day brought many e-mails to respond to, with requests and perhaps a problem that I always made certain was resolved, along with phone calls.

I was available to many people with their requests and changes to their projects and kept track of all input to see the project through to completion. I learned that once again I had to prove myself to those in the department that I was part of and to develop working relationships with many others, that when I first arrived at Kitchell they seemed to resent my roll. It was wonderful to see how they eventually responded to my support of their needs to get the job done.

I had direct contact with the CEO/President, HR, accounting, heads of departments and many co-workers. I was in charge, along with my direct managers direction, of making the Communications Department a reality, In 60 plus years that Kitchell had been in business they never had a Communication Department. I took existing office furnishings and worked with an outside vendor in doing the layout for the space.

I was very well received and after five years of a working relationship it was decided that due to the economy at that time the that the Communications Department be dissolved! That was the hardest part of the job. Having to leave knowing there were many projects not completed. It was a sad time and yet I have created other opportunities for myself and look forward to what is next!!

And my former manager of the Communications Department is a very dear friend!!
Pros
It is a good company to work for!
Cons
None to comment on!
February 13, 2017

Thanks for your kind words, we hope you are happy in your new position.

Wonderful organization. Lots of training and advancement opportunities.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Koloa, HIMay 18, 2014
Loved working here. Would recommend to anyone. The leadership and support for the employees is outstanding and the project are technically challenging and rewarding to be a part of.
Pros
High level of professionalism and quality.
Cons
Work load can be heavy.
February 13, 2017

Thank you for writing! We're so glad you had a great experience and felt the support from our management. You're right - our projects can be challenging but the reward in participating in a milestone project that stands the test of time is priceless.

Excellent company to work for.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZMay 1, 2014
A typical day would include: performing general office duties, such as ordering supplies, maintaining on-site employee new-hire paperwork and insurance records, perform basic bookkeeping tasks as needed, answering and directing phone calls to appropriate persons.

Ensure that facilities meet environmental, health, and security standards, and comply with OSHA regulations.

Prepare invoices, memos, letters and other documents, using word processing and excel spreadsheets.

Greet contractors and sub-contractors with a positive attitude and direct to appropriate person for any questions, updates or concerns.

Type contracts for contractors and sub-contractors.

Bank deposits for payments.

Open, sort, and distribute incoming correspondence, including faxes and email.

Customer relations with project owners.
Pros
Excellent company to work for. Positive and empowering supervisors, great pay and benefits and opportunity for continued education and advancement.
Cons
I enjoyed most every part of my position.
February 13, 2017

Thanks for your kind comments and transparency about what your job responsibilities were. So great that you felt empowered and able to pursue other opportunities while with us.

eh
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Del Mar, CAJanuary 8, 2014
ok not great not bad.

not very good at on boarding to team.

too quiet

too slow
Pros
nice
Cons
impersonal
February 13, 2017

We're sorry you didn't feel challenged. We hope you are happy in your new situation.

Great Team Environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 21, 2013
The environment was focused on feeling like you were a meaningful component of the team culture.
February 13, 2017

Thanks - we do try to make everyone understand they're a critical part of the overall machine. Thanks for your comment!

Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAApril 29, 2013
Diverse company with multiple resources for development and training
February 13, 2017

Thank you for noting the number of training courses we have. As mentioned in another comment, we are making efforts to organize and catalog all that we offer.

An excellent, professional company with high family values and a desire to do what's right.
Assistant Project Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 26, 2013
In my experience Kitchell has always put high values on positive workplace environment and good teamwork.
February 13, 2017

We do spend a lot of time on ensuring a positive experience for our employees, in which they can learn and grow every day. Thank you for noting that.

People are nice
Field Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 20, 2012
• Provides administrative support for a busy construction field office at the Solano Community College. Provides project and administrative support to program manager, project managers, project engineers, and clients. Coordinates and organizes on- and off-site meetings. Word processing, editing, reproducing, binding, and sending correspondence, documents, and reports for program manager and project managers. Answering phones and directing calls to appropriate personnel. Creates and maintains filing systems for program manager and project managers. Creates spreadsheets and inserts them into documents for public release. Creates and maintains confidential filing systems. Delivers products to clients when necessary and any general office duties as required.
Pros
the team i work with.
benefits
February 13, 2017

Thanks for your comments. We're surprised that you only gave us two stars, when the only cons you cited were benefits. We feel very good about the vast array of benefits that we provide, and the relative cost to employees, especially when it comes to retirement and profit sharing. Perhaps you just need to learn more about all that we offer? Please contact HR if you feel you should have more knowledge in this area.

Great company
SAFETY SUPERINTENDENT (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 30, 2012
I very much enjoyed my time with this company. I was offered a position at the home office but my wife and I didn't want to move to Arizona.
Pros
everthing was great
February 13, 2017

We like to keep good employees! Thank you for your kind words. We truly appreciate it!

Aimless
Recruited Project Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, ArizonaMay 3, 2012
Transfer of leadership is the company motto, and it trickles down.
Many policies and educational programs are geared to the uneducated, which is the hiring trend, as they want to pay the least.

Company contracts stipulate Arbitration, which is a lower cost than Litigation.
February 13, 2017

We're not sure what you're referencing, as we've had solid leadership and are careful and conscientious about succession planning. We have heard that our training and education programs are robust and frequent, but we do acknowledge that we could have a better cataloguing system of all that is available. Thank you for your comments.

I would recommend Kitchell CEM as an employer or as a project manager
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco / San Jose peninsulaNovember 29, 2011
I found Kitchell to be an excellent employer. They provided very good service to their clients over the entire cradle to grave life of each project we were in charge of. I wish I would've stayed instead of going for the greener grass.
Pros
financially sound, good people
Cons
none worth mentioning
February 13, 2017

Thanks for your kind words. We’re glad to hear that you were happy with your experience. If we have a position open and you want to come back – give it a shot! We have hired back several of our former employee owners who felt the same!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kitchell Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9