Kitsap Mental Health Services Employee Reviews

Impossible to keep up
On-Call MHP (Current Employee) –  OutpatientJune 5, 2017
KMH has lost its way; it is a top heavy institution that is flailing about trying to stick its hands in too many pots. Management demonstrates inflated self-esteem and grandiosity, flight of ideas, and thought disturbance, while engaging in increased risky behavior. Line staff is exhausted, resentful, and disrespected.
Pros
Gain valuable experience with a wide range of disorders
Cons
Line staff feels invisible.
Stressful but rewarding
Clinical (Current Employee) –  Bremerton, WAJune 1, 2017
Lots of frequent changes that are often not followed through. Revolving priorities from administration that are client friendly, but not supportive of staff.
Pros
lots of paid leave
Cons
Chaotic environment
Challenging!
Program Assistant, Pathways / Full Time (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAApril 30, 2017
Working in a community mental health care setting is definitely challenging, yet highly rewarding. Depending on your position, you could be dealing with an addict or someone with a severe mental illness; or both.

I love how the campus goes above and beyond to assure the safety of the employees there!
Hard to keep up. Unrealistic goals. Upper Managers demands you to be perfect at all times. Uncaring work environment, only numbers count.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Bremerton, WAMarch 26, 2017
Can be fast pace. You can be asked for stats at the last minute. Upper management expect you go come in when it storms or heavy snow days but they themselves wont be there. Clients curse you out and upper management can torment you with threats to fire you and replace you for less money. Upper management hides while you face all the heavy tasks and workloads. Lots of changes. Lots I mean almost weekly there are changes. You are expected to remember the latest change.
Pros
I 'm still trying to think of something...
Cons
Worst place I have ever worked at in my life!
Serious decline in the past year
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Bremerton, WAFebruary 16, 2017
In the past year the company laid off pretty much all of the outpatient nurses, lost their long standing and very respected inpatient doctor, laid off most clerical staff, lost pretty much all of their inpatient upper management, increased their health insurance premiums while decreasing quality of health insurance, cut student loan payment assistance programs, and scaled back on security.

There are no raises, promotions are based on education and not seniority or merit.

I love my co-workers and clients, but I am extremely disappointed and embarrassed for my company. The loss of staff, high turnover, and complete disconnect from upper management, has made my job feel grueling, confusing, and occasionally dangerous.
Pros
Coworkers and clients, pretty campus
Cons
High turnover, upper management is completely disconnected, loss of staff has left us to pick up the pieces and things have become confusing and dangerous
Look somewhere else for a job.
Department Assistant Floater (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WADecember 10, 2016
This company let itself get into financial trouble not once but twice. Both times it had to lay off personnel. It is not a company I would recommend.

This company does not like military veterans.
KMHS could not care less about their staff
Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Bremerton, WASeptember 20, 2016
The workload is excessive, especially with the recent constant turnover. Rather than address the overwhelming dissatisfaction of employees, you are instead treated as completely replaceable (and you are, there's always someone new they can hire and work to death until they too burn out). Some treatment of client care is bordering on, if not already crossing the line of, unethical. KMHS is a non profit agency, but you'd never know it based on their drive to bring in more money. This may be because of their recent budgetary crisis, but no matter the reason this agency has gone way downhill in the many years I have worked for them.
Pros
Some co-workers are great, clients are wonderful to work with
Cons
Workload that is unsustainable, no raises, newly subpar health benefits, disconnected management.
Was wonderful, definitely declined in recent years
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Kitsap County, WAAugust 18, 2016
Recently made poor budgetary decisions in a poor political climate and chose to lay off many nurses. Supervisors are often sub-par, especially in Residential Services. Client and safety often neglected due to minimal training of on-call staff and line staff in 24-hour units. Some management and nearly all (if not all) of the medical providers are fantastic, but the turnover has been high in these areas in recent months. Not a good job for people who don't care deeply about clients, but don't expect much support from the agency in that department.
Pros
Supportive coworkers, some excellent management and training
Cons
Poor management priorities/practices, not safe
no advancement
All positions (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAJuly 21, 2016
Got hired as oncall but they always have openings so I applied and kept get passed for the jobs. I applied to at least 20 jobs. I was doing all kinds of work for them and gettin paid less then people made who got hired for the job I was doing.
Professional work environment with many opportunities
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Bremerton, WAJanuary 4, 2016
I was provided with many opportunities to learn new areas of medical records management and improve my transcription skills. I worked with nine providers, as well as records employees and other staff.

It was a friendly work environment with strict deadlines and multiple tasks requiring attention.

I enjoyed my work.
Pros
Loved my work.
Cons
Technology ended need for transcription services
Management overall is invisible, little room to move up.
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Bremerton, WADecember 3, 2015
As a whole, the organization gives you materials you can use on the job. It's better if you can get a mentor to teach you the in's and out. There is lot of people who want to control everything. You will want to get schooling to move up and out. It is quite stale after awhile. They bought out there union 6 yrs ago, so they don't have a problem firing you. HR is there for the management not for the workers. A typical day goes quick, its pretty fast paced. Some days your slammed and others just typical. The clients is what you stay for, you have a connection and help the clients and they are really grateful when you can get them back into the community. Please don't get a job here if you are not a people helper. Employees move around a lot to find the right nitch. Basically it is a stepping stone for most, very high turn around rate. I learned a lot and am grateful for the classes they did make mandatory but I think they don't go far enough for employees that are on-call, your really nobody until your fulltime. There are many people who work there that don't pull their own weight and pass things off to others, some how they manage to keep their job and the ones who get fired are the ones who should stay. You will need to be flexible, kind, loving and nurturing, but those skills could turn on you. Be careful...
Pros
Co-workers that are supportive.
Cons
Management, don't go far enough to teach you skills to do the job.
The worst place for anyone to ever work
counselor (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WANovember 13, 2015
This company is a terrible place to work. Management is very incompetent in every way. No chance for advancement unless your the type to kiss up, no raises. If your not a kiss up they try to get rid of you. Hard work is not valued if they feed challenged by your abilities. Some great coworkers but almost everyone is very unhappy about working for this agency. Unethical client practices at times and if you question this you are treated poorly. Expect to find your manager/supervisor in an office playing games on a cell phone. This agency is the worst place I have ever worked and most x-employees need therapy after they leave.
Pros
Some nice coworkers, clients are great
Cons
Terrible supervisors, poor judgment, dangerous at times
Kitsap Mental Health Services is an excellent place to work.
Community Services Director (Current Employee) –  Bremerton, WAAugust 30, 2015
The services provided to clients is comprehensive, person centered and recovery focused. Staff are valued and benefits are good. Training is abundant. I highly recommend this agency to anyone looking for a good place to work in the mental health field.
Little Compensation, No Room For Raises/Advancement
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bremerton, WAAugust 5, 2015
Productivity standards were adopted one year ago. The work load for those whose productivity is measured is not sustainable. The executive management is completely clueless of what is actually happening on the ground with clients and staff. Horrible systems and "safety training" is a joke. You cannot get a raise, there is no such thing as a "merit raise," so employees do sub-standard work. Burnt out employees are not disciplined and tarnish the culture.
Pros
The clients are amazing people, the facilities are fairly new, I got paid(?).
Cons
No work/life balance if you have productivity standards (it's hard to find time to use the restroom), leadership is disconnected from the actual work, no advancement opportunities
KMHS has a caring supportive culture with excellent staff.
Psychiatric Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAMay 15, 2014
When I started work there I wasn't sure I would like working with children and adolescents. I came to love it. Working in the youth inpatient unit was professionally challenging and personally satisfying. I felt honored to work there.
Pros
I looked forward to every shift.
Cons
It was almost a two hour commute each way.
Access Clinician (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAJuly 28, 2013
A great company to work for and I really enjoyed all the wonderful people that I worked with. My supervisor was amazing and very supportive and helpful.
The hardest part of my job was trying to get my clients to keep their scheduled appointments.
Most enjoyable was that I had a set schedule- and could keep a balanced home life.
Pros
My co-workers
Cons
Maybe a bit to structured

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kitsap Mental Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9