Klein Tools Employee Reviews in United States

No opportunity for advancement, poor management
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Mansfield, TXMay 3, 2016
Management is very new and no structure within the company. Pay is okay for a person with no experience in the workforce or little experience. Not a job for anyone with above entry level work experience. Company will compromise defective tools to send to suppliers just to meet the demands of the customer. Co-workers are easy to get along with. Klein tools is easy money nothing hard expected out of anyone, nothing challenging about any position within the company under upper management. Company is no tobacco/smoke free on company premise. They are a Gun free zone and Health insurance is very high due to being based out of Chicago Ill.
Pros
Free lunch most the time is bagels and fruit, Very little pros. TBD by the individual
Cons
Good place to learn and enhance skills
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILApril 4, 2016
This is a very good place to work if you are looking for an opportunity to learn/enhance skills in project management, process development, problem solving, and department management. Only downside is not much opportunity for promotion/advancement in company.
Pros
Hands on work, good balance of office versus shop floor work.
Cons
Not much opportunity for promotion/advancement
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Lincolnshire, ILAugust 21, 2016
Interanal politics at executive level.
No competitive salary. Consistently (and significantly below) market
Average / Below Average benefits
GREAT work/life balance
Great Place To Work
Electrical Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARMay 17, 2016
Klein was a gret place to work. My only reason for leaving was I was stuck on second shift and desperately needed to be on day shift to have a family life.
Pros
Great Environment
Cons
Lower Pay
prerequisites are based on buddy system
random (Current Employee) –  Mansfield, TXJanuary 3, 2016
basically if you are friends with a "supervisor" you work your way up the ranks. On job postings level one through four all list the exact same job description with a dramatic change in pay. Don't bring your resume or worry about experience because they go by word of mouth.
Pros
fruit every once in awhile
Cons
pay sucks, management without general education, and leadership closes their eyes to friends
Family oriented work environment
CNC Swiss lathe operator (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, TXApril 10, 2016
Friendly fast paced environment with results. The people working here of diverse backgrounds and professions all form part of huge team.
Easy going workplace
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IANovember 3, 2015
Through my time at Klein Tools I have had many different supervisors and lead large numbers of teams. This has exposed me to many different challenges and opportunities. In this transition process we are currently experiencing I am being look at by management and piers for guidance and doing what I can to make work easier on everyone with the limited power that I have.
Currently working
Wife of an employee (Current Employee) –  Cedar rapids, hoping for a move to texas some dayAugust 2, 2015
Well i don't work there personally, but my husband does! He started as a temp. And moved up fairly quickly! He got hired on in less than a year and is doing well and is very happy with his job! There is benefits, such as medical and 401k pd time off! There is always things in every company that people won't like or changes that can be made.but if you work hard and can get along with people, you can move up! Endurance, perseverance, and patience and most important Jesus! Im glad my husband likes his job and he is very grateful for having it! ((
Pros
Good company, takes care of their employees
Cons
Can be difficult to get hired on permanent
Its a hand tool company
Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  LinncolnshireOctober 10, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow. Some politics. Some red tape. I really liked my colleagues.
Klein Tools
Commodity Manager (Current Employee) –  Lincolnshire, ILOctober 1, 2015
Long standing and well respected company since 1857.
Strong brand recognition. High quality products, made in the United States.
OEM in the tool industry with a terrific reputation
MANAGER OF METALLURGY (Former Employee) –  Skokie, IlApril 17, 2015
There were no "typical" days.

What I learned was vast and priceless.

Management was typical for a family-owned business.

Co-workers were experienced and hard-working.

The hardest part of the job was self-teaching.

The moist enjoyable part of the job was self-teaching.
Pros
Self-actualization.
Cons
Frequent lay-offs.
I can only speak from the way I was treated.
Dont want to say (Former Employee) –  Mansfield,TxJune 2, 2014
I agree with the other reviewer, they do have a back biting type atmosphere. I myself did not work out so I was fired over the phone. My supervisor supervised me over the phone. Micro manage me maybe a better way to put it. I thought it would be a good place to work but something inside me said to stay away. The people in the manufacturing seemed really nice but in the office area cut throat all the way.
Pros
they offer free coffee
Cons
getting fired over the phone says it all.
lousy management, and too many back biters willing to tell on you for anything, including any mistakes you might make, just to cull favor.
assembly (Former Employee) –  cedar rapids, iowaApril 23, 2014
Terrible place to work. The mangement is totally focused on traditionals styles, and coercive mangemnt tactics. They never look at the positive, only the negative. you are never told you are doing a good job, they only notice if you make a mistake. They exploit the system, bringing in a never ending revolving door temporary employees, because they're too cheap to hire regulars. You could possibly get full time there, if a person wanted to stick around long enough, Expect at least two to three years.
Pros
the work isn't bad.
Cons
everything
New Company
Manufacturing Member (Current Employee) –  Mansfield, TXApril 6, 2013
The company has been in Texas for about two years now. With the promise of advancement and the knowledge that i have as a trainer from Kimberly-Clark. And to hear others that came in with the company on how they have been in the same spot for 7-10 years and to see others with less experience take jobs that i know i can do and have expressed interest in having and see them do the job for three months then get moved for none productivity. This is why i am looking to broaden my career elsewhere.
Klein Tools, a happy welcoming job that takes along to an improve living , almost riches. However a lot of fun working with fine people.
Packager, pack by hand a wide variety of tools. (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 31, 2013
The Klein tools is a moving company it keeps you too busy to be caught goofing off.They offer opportunity and encourage you to make steps foward. They help know how you can move up. You get happy kind of co-workers, they work well together. The hardest part of the job is putting up with the wierd table set-ups.You can eventually do all of them quick
Pros
yes the managers are very generous with it.
Cons
almost none, i would think some people minded a little much but the packaging works swift.
Moved to texas to escape the union but still ran like a union
Can't discuss at this time (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, TXMay 2, 2015
Structure is lacking. Plant is micromanaged unless your friends with the "team leads" or supervisors. I say this because all I know is structure coming off 7 years enlistment in the military

Your supervisor will tell your teammates he's made at you like y'all are childhood friends.

They do not place you in a position based on your resume.

You have to job bid still like the union to transfer departments.

Rules vary from shift to shift so if you like having time off work 3rd or 4th shift. It has the worst rules but it has the most time off.
But with 3rd and 4th shift there is no advancement because they will not bother trying to find anyone willing to work wknd shift only.

If you come on temp get ready to be let go when they are finished with you.

Pay doesn't match job experience. You will have someone who worked in fast food making the same as someone with military experience and manufacturing.

If and when you find a better Job and you put in a two wk notice get ready to be walked out.
Pros
Fruit monthly and great holiday perks
Cons
You see my con
we had fun most of the tim
quality control (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARSeptember 26, 2012
Inspection of in coming product, Inspection of out going product scrap reporting. learned the importance of safety tool. had wonderful coworkers. have to let product that was not up to standards go just .because you manager said to send it. Worked with some of the best coworkers.
Pros
pay was good
Cons
management
it was a good job.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILMarch 23, 2012
It was a good job intill it was time for a raise,thats when they gave you a hard time.
Cons
there no way of going up, so your stuck at the job you have.
Productive workplace ok to work there
Data/Order Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lincolnshire, IL.November 15, 2011
Good management, Compensation/Benefits & Culture. Good Hours, The best co-worker
Pros
bonuses
Cons
short lunch