Kleinfelder Employee Reviews

Senior Leadership is the problem
Project Professional (Current Employee) –  USAAugust 28, 2016
I had a great time working at Kleinfelder for several years, great colleagues, challenging work, plenty of billable hours. That finally changed as work began to dry up and then the CEO "retired". Things quickly snapped back from a whole company culture to an office focused obsession with the bottom line by management. The best and brightest have been streaming out the doors while those whose job it is to win work and "manage" have steadily fallen into the good old boy ways that have always been present, but again dominate the day to day workings of the company. If you have passion and vision, but lack authority, it is best to shut up and toe the line however displeasing it seems, or you will find yourself on the wrong side of someone who falls more in the category of a boss than a leader. The day to day stress of trying to remain invisible to those we are supposed to respect as our leaders is palpable in the office. Yet this behavior from leadership is not only tolerated, it is rewarded. I only hope the new CEO can turn it around before it's too late. It has been sad to witness this quick decline first hand.
Pros
Challenging work is available, peer level colleagues are generally great to work with
Cons
Leadership has lost touch with those doing the work, current "austerity measures" are killing morale, promotions are very hard to get even when clearly earned, raises are nonexistent, work is drying up
Top heavy corporate entity with ever-changing company identity.
Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 14, 2016
A firm that wants to be one of the big A&E firms but lacks the leadership and expertise to deliver on promise. False identity is a big issue when selling services and capabilities.
Pros
Nice compensation and benefits.
Cons
Great place to work to develop your engineering background
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Meridian, IDMay 26, 2016
Great opportunities to participate in a variety of projects
Excellent mentoring from senior engineers
Great comradery among all employees
Great company if you are an Engineer
CQAM / Construction Inspector III (Current Employee) –  Golden, COApril 23, 2016
Kleinfelder is a good company. Unfortunately there are some bad managers working for the company. The main manager in my department has successfully driven off half of our staff with his personality and poor management habits.
Pros
Great people to work with! Good supporting management team.
Cons
Bad main manager in my department
Great people, right solutions
Engineering Technician I (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 21, 2016
The environment was adequate in producing a quality career although travel to remote sites created a challenging but rewarding experience.
Pros
people, staff
Cons
Travel
Kleinfelder is good place to work
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 20, 2016
Friendly people, flexible hours and generous benefits, Kleinfelder is a great company to work for. Work load varies between summer and winter months.
Interesting analytical work, typical pigeonholing corporate structure
Scientist (Former Employee) –  New YorkMarch 12, 2016
Work is fascinating and demanding. Typical day at work stressful, projects rarely planned/designed in an organized way ahead of time. Top-heavy and management inconsistent. High staff turnover. Lack of equal treatment of employees, poor training/preparation, hardly any structure for career advancement.
Pros
Colleagues smart, great to work with.
Cons
Company invests little in employees' training and growth.
Productive workplace working towards exciting projects
Water Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 11, 2016
The projects they go after aim to aid the community and preserve the environment. Their projects are aimed towards the improvement of wastewater collection, water supply conservation and water conveyance.
Good company
Project Assistant and Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 25, 2016
Answer questions and complete forms for staff members, learned how to manage a heavy schedule dealing with over 100 employees. Management is always easy to approach and coworkers are admirable professionals. The hardest part of the job is the consistent fast-pace and the most enjoyable is the environment.
Pros
Good work atmosphere
Cons
Benefits are below average and schedule is not flexible, no room for advancement
This is a great company to work for. There is longevity, work as a team.
Administrative/Receptionist (contract) (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 8, 2016
I was able to use my ability to learn other administrative task that I have not performed with previous companies. At the end of the day I was able to accomplished my daily duties with confidence.

Want to know more about Kleinfelder?

Ask a question
Typical Consulting
Environmental Compliance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 2, 2015
Kleinfelder is a typical corporate consulting company. The pay and benefits are below average to average and job stability is on par with what you would expect from a consulting company. Since Kleinfelder is national, the typical projects are fairly large and can keep someone employed for longer periods of time. Kleifelder is good about investing in certifications for their employees. Their corporate/job culture seems more hostile than average. It's very rigid, uncomfortable, and discouraging.
Pros
Training and certifications
Cons
Corporate culture
High profile projects
Staff Professional I (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDJune 22, 2015
Offers the ability to work on high profile projects as well as learn new skills. The office environment is very professional.
The local office and staff are great people and all professional.
Senior Construction Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsfield, MAMay 11, 2015
My position is fairly unique. I am in the field 100% of the time and work with the Client and the Contractors most of the time. I have very little contact with the office and my Supervisors have enough confidence in my ability to manage a project so they have minor contact.
My coordinators who handle all of the paper work such as Submittals, CCDs, Pay Requests, Meeting Minutes, etc. are all the greatest. I feel we have a good working relationship which includes social gatherings.
We all get together several times during the projects to put on a BBQ for all of the Plant Personnel, Water Department, City Hall, DEP, and the Contractors Crew.
I feel I have a great "Position" and enjoy coming to work every day. I have not taken a sick day in twelve years except for time off for major hip replacement. I can't believe I get paid for this. There are no real hard parts to the job.
Pros
The whole position.
Cons
Dealing with time wasting forms from Corporate.
Good company
BUSINESS CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Roosevelt, UTJanuary 20, 2015
Fun place to work at. Co-workers were nice and learnt a lot. Management listened and helped.
Pros
Co-workers
Great company
Intern, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 14, 2014
If you love working under pressure and learning, this is the company to work for. Good leadership
Busy Days
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 14, 2014
Helping out in the productive room getting documents out to the clients. Cover the phones. I learned things every day. Work well with my co workers always a team. The hardest part is getting these last minute and needed it out that min.
Pros
great lunches meeting
Cons
Productive and fast work pace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CANovember 18, 2014
I have learned a lot working for this company. I enjoy all my co workers.
Invests in its employees
Communications Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 11, 2014
Kleinfelder has a wide range of internal professional development programs that employees can use to navigate their own career paths.
Great company
Environmental Scientist/Geologist Consultant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 23, 2014
good management, good co workers, good pay. need to be physically fit and want to be out in the field.
Not a truthful company to work for
support (Current Employee) –  OKDecember 24, 2013
Hiring process is not legimate. Interview was not forth coming on hours and processes of work described. Always a revolving door due to management. Poor equipment and not concerned about your familys needs. Hired as a full time employee, started working there and was told to save my sick days and vacations days to make a 40 hour check because they dont have have full time hours to give you.
Pros
Cons
too much to list

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kleinfelder. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8