Kmart
6,934 reviews

Kmart Employee Reviews

working close with co workers...fun times
LOST PREVENTION ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Bradley, ILJuly 30, 2015
Pros: experience
Cons: co workers
A typical work day was interacting with co worker and police officers.
This would be difficult when it would be a co worker that was process or stealing.
Great if you're a people person
Cashier (Former Employee), Barberton, OHJuly 29, 2015
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: short staffed, overwhelmed management
I loved working for this company but because of personal circumstances I had to leave. My co-workers were wonderful people and made my experience working there great. Management wasn't the greatest but working for the company was worth it.
First job/worked while in school
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Davie, FLJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Great beginning
Cons: Started closing stores in my area
Got the chance to work while still in school to get a grade. Was in DECCA in high school and gave me the opportunity to learn about life. While working years with Kmart, Kmart taught me to learn the merchandising job. First is the beginning to learn what life is and to be responsible
Temporary work
Customer Service Representative Cashier (Former Employee), Norridge, ILJuly 29, 2015
Always felt lucky when I got to work 30 hours and found flexibility to work my second job. Pay was minimum wage with no health insurance. Management was nice however.
The worst job ever
Customer service/Layaway (Former Employee), Sunshine Mall, sT. cROIX usviJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Nice customers and coworkers
Cons: Long drive and worst managers
This was the worst job I have ever had. The managers are very rude and unprofessional. They don't know how to relate or speak to their coworkers/employees. The area I worked in was layaway and there was always a lack of assistance from fellow workers and managers lack of patience at holiday times.
nice job,nice people
stocker forklift driver. (Former Employee), Athens, GAJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Great work envoronment.
Cons: not enough eductionon safety.
lots of lifting. learn unload,load. great staff,friendly coworkers, some people didn't pull there weight. great supervisor
fun work environment associates or very friendly but the management is not the same
supervisor/cashier (Former Employee), Bronx, NYJuly 29, 2015
mostly work a 5 hour shift, store is generally busy. I learnt how to work a cash register, processing cash, debit and credit transactions.
hardest part of the job would have to be the holiday seasons, when there are more costumers than worker and work load is tripled. the most enjoyable part of my job would have to be making the costumers happy its a very rewarding feeling.
Fun work place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Hollywood, FLJuly 29, 2015
Pros: employee discount
Cons: short breaks
Run cash register , count cash register daily ,put back returns,greet customer.Team player etc. the most enjoyable part of this job is meeting customers and giving great customer service.
It was a very interesting place to work
Office Lead/cash office (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAJuly 29, 2015
Pros: We had 2 cook outs at the end.
Cons: Sometimes we would not get breaks due the volume of customers, Sometimes not enough help was provided
I learned a lot doing the work I did. I have 15 years experience there. The only bad thing I can say is we did not receive any raises for the last 7 years.
no comment
Loss Prevention Associate (Former Employee), Gaithersburg, MDJuly 29, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: None
I don't think I would ever work for Kmart ever again because of the management, and the Loss prevention team is a joke. Co workers are good, hardest part of the job is not letting me do my job, most enjoyable part of the job is clocking out.
Labor intensive work till the job gets done
Assistant Manager Softlines (Current Employee), Cleveland TennesseeJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Friendly associates throughout store
Cons: No raises pay capped
Profit driven and labor intensive job with emphasis on company metrics. Push for sales and profit. Friendly and dedicated associates throughout the store.
busy work environment
Softlines Associate (Current Employee), Zanesville, OHJuly 29, 2015
Pros: customer interaction, supportive co-workers
Cons: not always a professional work place, limited help when needed
It's a busy yet not always fast paced work environment. I have learned more efficient ways to work with customers as well as teamwork in the work place. Management is supportive, however not always as professional as needed. There are great co-workers here, all are very friendly and supportive. As always in retail there are challenges with unhappy customers that come in from time to time, but this is expected. Although, working with customers and assisting in any way I can so that they know that I will handle their needs or concerns when returning is the most enjoyable part.
Abysmal, with no chance of moving up, and new co-workers constantly because of it
Hardlines Merchandiser / Cashier (Former Employee), Mill Hall, PAJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Some co-workers were okay, and even fewer were good
Cons: Short breaks, terrible co-workers, no team dynamic, low hours
The real problem with working at this KMart is that the managers do not care and they will not work ANYONE full time except for managers. No one had received a pay increase in years (besides managers) and everyone was stuck at 7.25. It makes sense that the they went through employees super quick because of it. I would never recommend working here.
Productive job
Casher (Current Employee), Ashtabula, OHJuly 28, 2015
I check out and bag the customers items, i have to make sure my area is clean and neat. I have learned to communicate with people and how to go about different situations.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 28, 2015
Somewhat great but not overall, but can improve with customers service skills. Lack in management skills with co-workers.
Company is a sinking ship that can't be raised
Backroom Associate (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Short work schedules, some managers are decent, HR is good with communication
Cons: Extra tasks expected with no pay raise and less working hours
Kmart has been going downhill for years, and now it seems like the company has entered its final slide into the abyss, metaphorically speaking. More stores are closing in my area, my hours have been cut significantly, and yet myself and other employees at my store are being required to do more work for the same amount of minimum wage compensation that we have already been receiving.

The hardest part of my job is being asked to take on the duties of two or more departments while still being required to maintain my own department. But my manager has been letting people go without any advance notice, starting with all the older workers over 50.
KMart
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Smithfield, NCJuly 28, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my day meeting people from difference parts of the world. Fun place with great co-worker and management always willing to help in any way. When dealing with customer in the retail world to have to take your time. Not enough money and long hours.
Good for people who just want to be out of the house
Cashier (Former Employee), Killeen, TxJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Secure job as long as you're attentive
Cons: short breaks, not many actual benefits
Regular cashier duties and sometimes stocking and cleaning duties if they needed you in another area. Checking people out, cleaning, stocking, smiling.
Management is very controlling won't let employees make decisions
Cashier promoted to Cash Office Assistant (Current Employee), Plymouth, MIJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Free lunch every now and then. Time and a half for holidays
Cons: No benefits.
I started working as a cashier and was promoted to cash office assistant. The training program they have is not great. I leave there some days and think why did I take this job. The store manager has no patience and has to know everything you do. They don't know that I am seeking other employment. I have never missed a day nor have I ever been late for a shift. Management will never tell you that your doing a good job.
Average
Stocker Clerk (Current Employee), Daytona beachJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Good Work enviroment
Cons: Bad managment
Its a good place to work if you need extra cash...but not to pay the bills. Management is poor. Good workers and clean environment.

1 2 3 4 5

About Kmart

Kmart, a wholly owned subsidiary of Sears Holdings Corporation (NASDAQ:SHLD), is a mass merchandising company that offers customers – Read more

Kmart Salaries