Kmart
4,696 reviews

Kmart Employer Reviews

To Serve, Delight, and Engage, our members while they Shop Their Way!
Loss Prevention Agent (Current Employee), Chula Vista, CAJuly 7, 2014
Pros: the team of associates i was blessed to work beside.
Cons: poor benefits, no promotion, no room to move up in the company, and my hours would fluctuate too much each week.
A typical day at work: I would clock in and go check in with my manager in the loss prevention office. Say "Hello!" and then we discuss the plans of our daily focuses regarding store shrink and safety. After that I go and take care of doing the audits for our electronics and jewelry department. After that is complete and taken care of I continue my – more... day by doing some floor observation on customers. Then I would spend some time on our CCTV's observing customers from the cameras and controlling everything from my office. There was no hard part about performing my duties with my job because my manager and partners work together if needed to ensure everything can be accomplished at a smooth and steady pace. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to come up with new ideas and techniques to better the store, the associates, and myself. A powerful mind make endless possibilities come to life. – less
down to earth co worker
cashier/floor associate (Former Employee), Jefferson City, MOJuly 7, 2014
there were always a co worker willing to help when help was needed
productive and hands on
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee), Casa Grande, AZJuly 7, 2014
Work is 'hands on'. K-mart does not employ a lot of employees so help is at times hard to come by. Management works with your availability and situations to help employees along with co-workers.
N/A
Cashier (Former Employee), Franklin, NCJuly 7, 2014
• Assisting customers with merchandise and purchasing
• Stocking shelves and assembling displays
• Assisting with descriptions of the functions of electronics
• General straightening/cleaning of the department after closing
great enviroment
softline merchandiser (Former Employee), Glassboro, NJJuly 7, 2014
Pros: two breaks, friendly
Cons: customers can get cranky
Working at kmart was great. I usually worked 6 hours at a time when scheduled. I had to put away all returns and straighten up the area i was working on for the day. On busy days i would work the cash register to help out. On slow days where i get done early i would help out with freight.
Hardlines Manager
Assistant Store Manager (Hardlines Manager) (Former Employee), Gretna, LAJuly 7, 2014
Pros: non
Cons: ********
Coordinated and managed the activities, plans, bookkeeping
 Key person who hires, trains and apply disciplinary actions of all personnel
 Improved unit sales, profit and image through the overall development and protection of store assets.
 Tracked the store’s inventory, ordering, receiving, and gross profit on a daily basis.
 Responsible for profit – more... & loss statements, payroll, and cash controls
 Provided strong customer service ethics
 Assured that the quality of service was to the customer’s satisfaction – less
Responsible all about Cafeteria
Gerente de cafeteria (Former Employee), TRUJILLO ALTOl, PRJuly 7, 2014
Pros: no coments
Cons: no coments
1)Responsible for all my employee in and out of they jods; A) And schedule they time sheets. B) Responsible for they position in the work area.
2) Responsible for all sale make in a day work ship.
3) Responsible to supervising all employee in my command.
4) Supervising and counting all food in quality and lost in a day.
5) Responsible for all my employed – more... and my self, following the rules of the health department rules and regulation. – less
Working at K-Mart is an expierence I will never forget. At times it was challenging , learning new systems that were installed throughout the years.
Department Manager (Former Employee), Berlin, NJJuly 7, 2014
Pros: the employee discount was a great plus. the shopyour way rewards program is very good, giving members deeper discounts and free mechandise.
Cons: breaks were shortened this last year, the healthcare offered cost much more as i am sure is found all over.
Depending on the day of the week I might start by reviewing the department and fill where necessary. I might have to help unload the truck and process merchandise. Some days might start by helping customers in the Layaway dept. I learned to use an RMU and the computer. On the whole the Managers were easy to approach with a question or a problem. I would – more... say I got along with both Management and my fellow employees. I am still in touch with a few of my former coworkers. The hardest part of my job was the heavy lifting. Making a customer happy because I was able to help them was the highlight of my day. Coming in to work and seeing the people I worked with made for an enjoyable workday. – less
fun and enjoyable
housewares lead (Former Employee), Pueblo, COJuly 6, 2014
department lead in housewares, customer service, awesome co- workers, also took part in inventory and unloaded trucks and stocked
I was very active at this company.
Floor Associate (Former Employee), Columbus, GAJuly 6, 2014
Pros: health benifits
Cons: not really any.
I would keep busy from the time I got there until the time I left. Constantly on the go. I would cover many different areas of the store. I would assist customers and keep a pleasant disposition. I could preform the tasks needed to accomplish goals. I would be busy doing inventory or stocking shelves moving dog food or mixing paint. I would make keys – more... or clean. I could still assist customers. – less
not a pleasent work environment
Merchandiser Claims (Former Employee), Hesperia, CAJuly 6, 2014
enoyed my work just was constantly pulled from my job.to help out in other area;s causing me to fall behind on my work.
Good experience
Jewelry Sales Associate (Former Employee), Denver, COJuly 5, 2014
Pros: dealing with the customers and other employees.
Cons: it was only a part time position.
I Started as a cashier. Was soon moved to the jewelry Department. Developed many wonderful relationships with many of the regular customers. Had good experiences with fellow employees. I worked with Kmart for almost two years.
same as the walmart and Big Lots combined
Store Manager (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLJuly 5, 2014
Pros: opportunity to impliment the point of sales system at kmart international headquarters
Cons: small payroll little help for customer service, prices not competive enough
Same as Big Lots and Walmart. Responsible for the customer service, inventory flow, sales, operations of this facility.
nice place
Backroom Team Member-Sales assistant (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 4, 2014
great place to work at. Nice co workers and management. everyone was like family
Depressing and pointless place to work at, Worst place ever.
Electronics Associate (Former Employee), Roswell, NMJuly 4, 2014
Pros: staff (not management) can be fun to work with at times.
Cons: little breaks, no raises, no hours, minimum wage, management
A typical day at work may include but is not limited to:
Cutthroat, unsatisfied management.
Worn out, sad co-workers.
Rude and disrespectful customers.
Frustration and boredom (A lot of it)
Little breaks.
A free sauna session (The AC does not work at the store I worked at)
What do you expect? It's K-Mart!

Here is a great way to summarize the problem – more... with K-Mart. They want the minimum amount of people, doing the maximum amount of work for the minimum amount of pay. They are ALWAYS short-staffed. Management never seems to be satisfied with what their staff offers. The best employee in the history of K-Mart will still get paid and rewarded the same as someone who could not care less about their job. If you are not full time, say goodbye to any potential growth in the company. Management is WAY overpaid for what they do compared to the rest of the staff. Here is something that still makes me wonder as to what type of twisted corporation K-Mart is. There are two different management type positions in the store, Managers and Key-holders. Both do the EXACT same job, but one gets paid almost double of what the other does.

The most enjoyable part of this job (besides clocking out for the day) is the fun one can have with the staff, that does not include management. The hardest part of the job is putting up with rude customers, ungrateful management and pretty much everything else.

I will never work for this company again and quite frankly I do not see why anyone else should. K-Mart is quite simply the scum of retail. – less
Ok place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Kingman, AZJuly 4, 2014
We would start the shift by counting our cash drawer,then start to help customers with their needs ,check customers out with their purchases,and make sure they were able to find everything they needed and make sure they were happy when they left.
productive and proactive
Loss Control Agent (Former Employee), Bronx, NYJuly 3, 2014
Pros: experience in security
Cons: no overt iem
busy and active
body language, eye contact, culture back round
good
Some Days a Challenge/Some a Piece of Cake/All with a Smile
Cashier (Current Employee), Saint Petersburg, FLJuly 3, 2014
Pros: meeting customers needs
Cons: low wages
Most enjoyable part of my day is taking care of my customers by giving them good service, showing kindness and making them smile. I love when they return to my register each time they shop in our store. Co-Workers for the most part are fun and helpful to one another; as a rule, we enjoy one another.Because there are so many different personalities in – more... our work place and we service many vacationers there is no really typical day. Some are a challenge while others are a piece of cake. – less
good asociate
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee), Bronx, NYJuly 2, 2014
Cons: need affordable health care
staff is fun.It is a good place to work.staff discount and incentive program for cashiers and service associate.There is an excellent replacement plan offer for members to take advantage of when shopping.
Kmart
Associate (Former Employee), Lakeport, CAJuly 2, 2014
•Work on a team with multiple peer associates

•Address customer needs and concerns

•Operate register and have responsibility for cash handling

•Meet daily sales goals

•Stock merchandise on the sales floor

•Organize and assemble promotional displays

•Train and orient new employees

1 2 3 4 5

About Kmart

Kmart, a wholly owned subsidiary of Sears Holdings Corporation (NASDAQ:SHLD), is a mass merchandising company that offers customers – Read more