Koch Foods Employee Reviews

Chicken Galore
Factory Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 15, 2013
A typical day of work starts out with a cold blast of chicken fat stimulating your nasal region as soon as you walk in to swipe your worker's ID card. After that, you wash your hands thoroughly, as you should, and suit up (hairnet, plastic smock, work gloves, plastic gloves, earplugs, and goggles, unless you have prescription glasses). You go into the job site and wait for some manager to give you a random errand to run (this includes picking fat off of chicken, filleting chicken, making boxes, or working on the assembly line). The catch is, you don't know who your manger is until a week later. All of my co-workers spoke Spanish (only 4 people I knew of spoke English, broken English at that). This wouldn't be a problem had I known how to speak Spanish. Great thing is, you don't have to learn through spoken language, I was taught through a series of pointing and watching. I learned a lot about people there. The hardest part of the job was the temperature, it's 40-45 degrees at all times. Now I, being the Chicagoan that I am, am quite used to this type of weather, but when you're putting your hands into a pile of chicken meat they do have a tendency to get frozen up and numb. By the end of the day I would have to put my hands over a candle to melt them. I'd say the most enjoyable part of the job was making boxes and lunchtime. This job will be good for you if you are fluent in Spanish, don't mind cold hands, and don't mind the smell.
Pros
half hour lunch
Cons
15 minute breaks, no union
Terrible Management, Rude, trashy people at Kock Foods
Confidential (Former Employee) –  Morristown, TNJanuary 6, 2015
Koch Foods COULD be a great place to work, but the management make sure to instill that you are never good enough, and that you can and will lose your job at anytime, and even tells people they don't have to give breaks. The supervisors and shift leaders will sabotage anyone they don't like and force them out the door. They have a "Lighthouse" employee reporting hotline, which is a JOKE because it just goes to HR, and if you are reporting any wrongdoing by management, they just excuse it because they all clique together. If you are Hispanic, you have JOB security, but the drama, and turnover among the whites/blacks is astounding! The "Long Time" employees will sabotage new hires to keep the turnover rate flowing, out of fear of being replaced, and eventually get promoted. Profanity and harassment is rampant throughout the plant, and they tell you, it's a chicken house, get used to it. Management and Shift leaders have a Slave-Driver mentality and thrive on authoritarianism because they get a power thrill, being most of them are felons, so at Kock Foods, they get to "be somebody"
Pros
overtime usually needed
Cons
short breaks, bacteria, salmonella, ammonia exposure.
Self motivated Individual
Packaging Operator (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, OHJanuary 8, 2013
A typical day of work consisted of me punching in, in the morning and then communicating with supervision and recieving my work orders and a list of employees that would work for me for that particular day.From there i went to my assigned line with all my paperwork and tools and set-up my machine and other equipment needed for that work order(tape machines, tables etc). Management was great and had a open door policy. I treated my fellow co-workers like extended family because typically when you work for a company, you spend more time there than at home. The hardest part of the job for me was nothing. Things could get a little fast paced but we all typically worked together to fix problems.The most enjoyable part of the job was the convenience of it. It was about a 15 min drive to work.
Pros
co-workers, pay, location
Cons
management wasnt involved enough
Good "Job" not "Career" material
Live Hanger (Former Employee) –  Morristown, TNJune 30, 2013
Working for this company is definitely 'working' in every sense of the word. The physical labor is brutal compared to the hourly wage/benefits they provide. The hours are never set, you may always work later/earlier than expected. The supervisors and managers try to be supportive and influential however behind closed doors, and eventually in front of you, they participate in inappropriate behavior at the workplace including but not limited to on the job drug use/transactions. It spreads throughout the company as other employees openly sell/consume illegal drugs during work hours. If you try to confront the situation you become part of a minority which is singled out and looked down on, ruining any chance of excelling in the work-place.
Pros
simple job
Cons
hard physical labor, little pay (considering labor/effort), innapropriate behavior.
This location of Koch Foods is not designed for americans
Warehouse Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 21, 2013
If you are looking for a job that has long hours, low pay and that is like working in Mexico on American soil than this is the right place for you. If you are a Supervisor at the Fairfield location you might as well be the bottom of the barrel. upper management is so scared of a union that the regular employees have more rights than the supervisors. If you are a supervisor in warehouse you basically have to do the work and your employees get to lean on walls with there hands in there pocket keeping them warm. Your manager in warehouse is too scared of the GM to have your back, so you are expected to get the job done with no people and no equipment because of budgets. Add more on to the building but supervisors have not seen raises in 2 years, regular employees cap out on there earning but are to scared to bring in a union because of them being illegals. JUST DON'T DO IT
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
read the review
the supervisors dont care
production further processing (Current Employee) –  collinsville ALNovember 5, 2012
I work in further processing at the collinsville al plant. I've been at this plant going on 4 years, kochs bought us out at the first of this year. I'm one of very few handi capped people that work at this plant, think they care? No they don't they still expect me to lift up to 80lbs with a bad leg. So in my opinion they don't care about there emploees they care about produsction.
Obviousl!y they condoneee promoting workers who haven't been there a year and are absent often instead of promoting loyal workers that believe in be at work and being on time and have some kind of seniority. I worked for another chicken plant in the pasf that was much better. I'm pretty through with kochs.
Pros
stable job
Cons
some of the supervisors dont care about their employees
1st processing
Floater (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALAugust 3, 2012
Your day depends on your position, you have your picks who bassically do nothing bescause who or what they know and vice versa. I learned to do my job and mind my bussiness.Management as far as the supervisors on day shift first processing espically are very disfuncitional, lol. Co workers are usally on the good side until you make it a problem, me myself im a peoples person.The hardest part for me was the constant movement of my arms while standing still. The best part of the job was payday of course.
Pros
40+hours/wk
Cons
no benefits until 6 months, no raises after probation unless u get a better position, unorganized, unsanatized, discombobulated supervisors, short breaks, sexiest, race issues, e.t.c.
Nothing but sweat and tears
general labor (Former Employee) –  Morton, MsApril 12, 2013
The problem I have for KOCH Foods, they only care about numbers. Not all Supervisors are like that but they are under the same umbrella. If they don't want to lose their job they have to do as management says. This makes it hard for people who want to work. Things are only by favoritism, not by performance. The employer treats employees with a slave mentality and therefore the employee takes it if they want their jobs. Even the Union organization is only for the plant. The company give all the men easy jobs and the women works the hardest with little appreciation for what they do. If you speak of the problems then you are labeled a trouble maker.
Pros
easy to get hired
Cons
once there, your only thing is short term
the supervisors dont care
Obviously they condoneee promoting workers who haven't been there a year and are absent often instead of promoting loyal workers that believe in be at work and being on time and have some kind of seniority. I worked for another chicken plant in the pasf that was much better. I'm pretty through with kochs.
Pros
stable job
Cons
some of the supervisors dont care about their employees
Good products best in the industry
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 2, 2012
Management was not of your normal brain powered human beings. Management would stant at the exit door at 4:55 PM and wanted to see who left early. You were encouraged to leave on a Saturday Night Flight to save the company money which my family understood, wheat they could not understand in by Wednesday I had 50 hours in. I was still expected to be in my home office until Friday after 5:00 PM. Guess how many time I Flew out on a Saturday after tha,?
Pros
great product samples left over from cuttings
Cons
hated to go to work they didn't pay me my $25, 000 bonus
Chicken Factory.
Hand Assembly (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 25, 2014
Typical day at work consists of, Trimming the fat off boneless, and raw chicken breast. Shaping it to the required size, with skin, or without skin. Assembling boxes, and tops for different companies, how many ever the order required to put the 5-20 pound bags of raw chicken breast in. I learned how to assemble boxes, and tops, and how to operate a machine. Management was all over the place, my coworkers were over worked and under paid. The hardest part of the job was lifting 20 pound bags of raw chicken every 5 seconds, and making an order of 250 boxes and tops in 20 minutes or less. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people i had around me, i met a very diverse group of people with great personalities.
Pros
plenty of overtime.
Cons
the compute, management, and the stinch of raw chicken.
experience,
Quality Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 16, 2013
a company with lots of responsibilities a workplace were it was serious about the quality of the product,, respectful environment, working with my co-workers was really good because we all got along, and always had a different partner each week, the hardest part of the job was the when a co-worker was absent we will do 2 jobs at once, and that was very stressful, because it was lots of paperwork, and it was a fast pace,, and depends on the dept, we needed 2 qa's not 1,,,,,the most enjoyable part is when we get recogonized by the manager of how good we do,,but the payrate was not fare
Pros
nothing free
Cons
the usual two 15min break and 30 min lunch, healthcare fare18
This company is unforgiving and uncaring
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Gadsden, ALMay 29, 2012
I enjoyed going to work before Tyson sold out to Koch Foods.The
production and maintenance people that I worked with were good natured and were a pleasure to be around.I could communicate with my supervisors and others and leave with the feeling that I had been paid attention to.Once Koch's took over all of that changed.Everyone in management was afraid for their jobs. They made the job for the employees so miserable.Then they cut their pay and benifits.
It got to be that the best part of the day was quitting time!
Cons
closed down kitchen, cameras everywhere, less pay, termination for any reason.
The job lacked advancement potential.
Packer/Loader (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALOctober 17, 2014
My typical work a 8 hour workday wherein I learned various parts of the chicken. How to dissect chicken for preparations. The plant was very cold due to the fact that it consisted of poultry which was kept in freezers.

The management team varied in ethnicity and style. The co-workers were easy to get along with; however, some were not understandable due to language barriers.

The hardest part of the job was working in extreme cold and prolonged standing.
Pros
free membership to join sams club
Cons
poor benefits with only a 30 minute break to robe and disrobe.
Will discuss in interview
Transport driver (Current Employee) –  Kock Foods Chattanooga, TNNovember 25, 2013
Will discuss in depth in interview. The job is good, but have a hard time doing my job because the equipment is in very poor condition, very day the truck breaks down. If you don't have dependable equipment very hard to do your job and do it well.

Co-workers for the most part are ok, except when you need your truck fixed and they don't get in any hurry to fix it, because it doesn't effect there pay even when they fix it two days later... but causes me to loose days of pay not very good working conditions.
Production analyst and Quality Assurer (Former Employee) –  Morton,msMay 20, 2015
This was a great company. I got to meet people from all types of backgrounds. The upper management was friendly and understanding. I would recomend the company to everyone. A typical work day for me were at least ten hours, sometimes twelve hours, But they were worth it !!! friday was my favorite.
Pros
I love the paper work, My lead person was very understanding
Cons
I didnt like the fact that we had to clock out on our thirty minutes breaks.
It's a job. Keeps you moving. But it does get boring .
Wing Cutter (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALJune 3, 2015
I was able to learn and catch on very easy. Couldn't move up to better job because management who had personal problems would try their best not keep you down. The factory I worked at was ran by Hispanics who barely spoke English so there were a lot of miscommunication. The pay was good
Pros
The hours and pay
Cons
Short breaks and standing for long hours
Great teamwork with co workers. Maintenance management could use better people skills
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Morton, MSApril 17, 2015
Set up the production lines to run at 6 a.m. answer calls to all equipment throughout the day. Offer help to fellow maintenance workers, as they do me. Management has it's ups and downs. they could care about their employees a lot more. Nothing is real hard to do. Some parts are time consuming.
Pros
good people to work around. excellent teamwork
Cons
poor maintenance management
koch foods
Waste Lead, Maintenance Department (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 19, 2013
At this job days were truly long at times i really enjoyed being there i learned too lead other with respect and love the management team was truly rewarding to work my co-workers worked together as a unit am still in close contact with most of them,the hardest thing is not being there. the most for me that we were family
Pros
great benefits
Cons
unemployed now
It's a fair place to work
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 22, 2013
You have to have tough skin to work in an environment like Koch Foods. Management can be harsh at times but thats only when the heat rolls down hill. you can advance throughout the company if you remain to yourself and never get personal with other employees and management. The most enjoyable part of the job is at the end of the day when you hit that time clock and the day is complete.