Koch Industries Employee Reviews

Worst place to work, a very painful and miserable experience
Tax (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 1, 2015
If you value work-life balance and want or have a family this is not the place for you. Be ready for a lot of changes, they will even change your personality.

Acquisitions, liquidations, change in companies structure happens every day and you will work to death and put in long and hard hours.

For minorities (internationals and other races) it's a pathetic place to work, a lot of discrimination, retaliation, hard to get a promotion or get a bonus and there is no diversity.

The management encourages you to be vocal, to share ideas, to ask questions, to challenge them but when you actually do it, they permanently label you a troublemaker.

Always watch your back and "play the game", very high employee turnover rate, they fire and hire people every single day.

They are so under staffed and the offices are overcrowded (consultants are squeezed in a small, stuffy conference room).
You will spent a lot of time correcting management mistakes but they will act like and say you did it.
Almost all the tax software's and systems at the company are frustrating, slow and old fashioned.

Lastly don't get carried away/misguided by all the media hype about the company, it's all publicity and political.
Pros
The pay and benefits are decent. Some co-workers are talented, hardworking and smart
Cons
No work life balance, employees back stabbing each other, unhealthy competition for promotions and a lot of discrimination.
You are good as long as you bring value to their company
Enterprise Technology Technician (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 14, 2015
worked as a network and desktop support engineer for multiple companies within the Koch umbrella.

Original manager was great, then got a new one when mine was promoted to a new role. The new manager and I did not get along as I was not a suck up and just did my job.

shortly after that change he hired two new engineers right out of college, had me train them both and then laid me off as both of them did the same job I did for less money as they were brand new and no experience.

Since KS is a right to work state they can let you go without any reason, excuse or explanation. Koch does this ALL the time.

They do not value their employee's or the experience they bring just the bottom line and where you fit in on that value.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
poor managers that do not help your with advancement, guidance and will replace you with someone cheaper to save on budget in a heart beat.
Working at Koch will change you ...
various positions (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 8, 2013
... and I mean that in the most positive way. Koch is by far one of the most educational and exciting places that I have worked. I had so many opportunities to work in jobs I never thought possible. Their management is spectacular and to be respected. It is a very principled organization with very clear values and approach to everything. The culture may be viewed as a little bit "cultish" to an outsider, but when you are on the inside of it, it always interesting, thought-provoking, and expansive. The comp/benefits were kind of strange when I was there. Bonuses were much too subjective for my taste and could lead to a little brown-nosing. Benefits are excellent. I think of Koch as where I got my MBA. I learned so much, so fast.
Pros
excellent leadership / vision, compensation for performance, exciting opportunities, sky is the limit in terms of advancement
Cons
not for wimps, not for liberals, no whiners allowed, hq in wichita

Comment – May 14, 2013

If everything you said is TRUE, may I ask why you left the company?

Comment – June 7, 2013

easy. I needed to move to a new area for personal / family reasons and they did not have any operations or offices here.

Was a very challenging place to work.
Plant Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 25, 2016
6:00am tour facility.
7:30am review production results with staff covering all safety and quality concerns. Set goalls with team.
8:00am send out daily production email to president and vice president.
8:30am daily conference call with corporate.
9:00am safety walk through with an on shift hourly team member. 10:00am reviewed on hand raw materials.
10:30am meet with the purchasing department to discuss materials. 11:00 am conference call with marketing team to discuss material sales and shipments.
12:00pm meet with maintence team to discuss maintenance plan. 1:00pm avaliable to meet with vendors or outside personal.
1:00 pm to 3:00pm 1 to 1's with team members to cover growth oppportunities.
3:00pm conference call with corporate compliance team.
4:00pm conference call with Operations Manager to discuss days results.
5:00pm safety walk through with an on shift hourly team member.
6:00pm review days acitivities.
Big Brother is Monitoring You
Application Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KansasFebruary 14, 2013
Management at this company speak out of both sides of their mouth and they definitely don't know how to lead by example. They place strong emphasis on results and forget about caring for their employees. It is not a nurturing working environment.
Management spend a lot of time behind closed door instead of out in the open to lead the team. Email and IM are closely monitored. You can forget about HR. They are there to protect the managers not you. Every thing you say will flow directly back to the managers.

Watch for bait and switch.
Pros
good compensation
Cons
a cold place to work for.
Great Company
Service Desk Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 4, 2014
I currently work for KBS service desk. I am very happy with my job, I love what I do, and the people that I work with are great. Management at times seems lost though, and it almost seems to be a black hole working here. I have been here for 1 year and still have not met the requirements that they have set to move forward in the company.
Pros
great experience, lots to learn, great training
Cons
lack of fullfillment, no chance to advancement in career
great people to work with, good management
IT SPECIALIST SUPPORT (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 12, 2013
answered calls, re-mote to customer's PC's and fixed whatever issues they had. Every call is timed and some calls are screened and monitored for the scorecard. There were 27 different goals to meet with each call. Every day is a busy day. I learned a lot from working in the IT department.
Pros
good people to work with, good manager
Cons
cannot advance beyond it, difficult to move to other departments, no increase in pay
Poor Leadership
project controls (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 13, 2015
Koch Industries utilize a management methodology called MBM. In theroy this methodology fosters a healthy culture, however after working with two separate companies with in Koch industries I have found that the methodology is not practiced. Upper management does not promote free thinking nor do they allow alignment with industry standards.
Pros
Second largest private company, great health benefits
Cons
Poor leadership
Temporary employee and per contract
Temporary employee and per contract (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 11, 2016
During my temporary work at Koch industries I felt like I was part of the team and contributed to its success. It was a highly rewarding job. the co-workers were all very loyal, supportive and positive. The hardest part part of the job was to challenge myself daily and to always strive to be the best I can, and that is a great work ethic.
Pros
Great challenges and rewarding work
Koch Industries - Stable but challenging
Associate, Corp. Bus. Dev. (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 8, 2014
The company has grown tremendously, but it is not the easiest place to work. So you get the stability, but will not see a level of compensation, management openness (despite the MBM culture), and mobility like in other companies.
Pros
stability, growing rapidly
Cons
culture, advancement, compensation
great culture
Reliability Mechanical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 29, 2012
I had a great summer working at Koch, learning and adding value at the same time to the company.
I worked with a large group of engineers, mostly reliability fixed and rotating.
Fun part was traveling to the plants and get to see the equipments.
Pros
great lunch menus
Cons
nothing
Great Opportunity
Lead Website Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasFebruary 27, 2014
My department was sold and changed names several times, finally to an outside company. While still Koch it had amazing perks and lots of room for advancement. The Koch brothers were also very present and available for employees as well.
I need of better communication
SENIOR PIPING DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Pine Bend, MNFebruary 8, 2015
The work environment was sometimes on again then off again. you couldn't get a true handle on your status and to cliquish. Technically it was good environment with its normal glitches.
Help Desk IT support
Service Desk IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 23, 2012
take calls
repair IT issues for my internal customers
Keep a lot of calls taken
Keep a 95% and above on my job performance
Pros
learned how to provide it assistance
Cons
low wages for entry level position
Nice place to work
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 25, 2014
It has been so long since I worked at Koch it is hard to write a review. What I remember is that the work environment was good and I had great co-workers.
Company operates on several core Values
Business Analyst/Senior Benefits Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 7, 2013
Company follows the KOCH values. They are culture driven, formerly Georgia Pacific. Parent company to several companies. Corporate office is in Kansas, Service Center is in Atlanta, GA.
Pros
starbucks coffee
What you learned
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 9, 2015
I learned abundantly oilfield skills. I greatly respected their Safety program; lectures on Hazmat. Gain experience on working with Hazmat resource.
Pros
Prestigious Safety Awards
Cons
Great benefits
Good people to work with, management misapplies companies guiding priciples
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Orange, TXMay 30, 2014
Good people to work with. Company culture is good. Company MBM guiding principles are good but not always correctly applied
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
high turnaround rate
Great Culture
Procurement Analyst - IT Vendor Management Office (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 21, 2015
Great Culture to work at. Market Based Management. Value creation promoted. Ability to grow within the company is promoted and encouraged
Very good place to work
Senior Tech within the Telecom Dept (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 21, 2015
did adds moves and changes to telephone system
did upgrades to telephone system as required
Pros
very good place to work
Cons
very fast paced place to work