Koch Industries Employee Reviews

Solid Upper Management and Company Culture. Middle Management Needs Improvement
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 27, 2017
At Koch, you will work around a lot of smart people who will challenge you to do your best. Upper management is very clear on the vision for the company and long term direction. Company culture rewards those who work hard and are comfortable with being accountable for their work.

Your satisfaction and success at Koch will depend a lot on which Koch company you work for and who your boss is. If you have a boss who will be your advocate and coach, you will do great. If you have a boss who micro-manages you and refuses to receive feedback, things will be more difficult. The hierarchical structure makes the supervisor, employee relationship critical to the success of an employee as your boss must be involved in any promotion or career move within the company.

The main problem at Koch is that many middle managers have been promoted because they are good at other things besides managing (i.e. they are good analysts or engineers). Often they are placed in positions of management without any management training or experience.
Pros
Advancement opportunities, opportunities to gain skills and knowledge in a short amount of time, solid reputation in the marketplace
Cons
Limited knowledge of company financials, subjective bonus structure and process, middle management promoted due to job skills instead of management skills
Work
Forklift operator, dties assigned by supervisor (Current Employee) –  LaPlace, LAMarch 25, 2017
Drove forklift to haul pallets for cranes and move heavy equipment as requested. Safety checks were performed on equipment prior to equipment use, work area evaluated for potential hazards. Management was fair with breaks and overtime. The hardest part of working for my most recent employers is the inconsistency of job assignments. I enjoy working and being busy.
Pros
Kept me busy during the day. Enjoy networking with other employees.
Cons
Job assignments have become inconsistent.
Koch Review
Sr.machine operator /lead man (Former Employee) –  East Canton, ohioMarch 14, 2017
Koch company is a great place to work. A typical day consisted of many hours operating a extruder. Keeping the safety of myself and others. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work overtime and on my own.
Pros
Workin on my own and overtime.
Cons
Not having a relible supervisor to count on.
Great
Analytical Chemist (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 8, 2017
Koch Industries was a very good work environment. Driver of your own career can learn as quickly as you want and the management is willing to help you grow as much as you want as well.
Leadership bubble no communication
Projects Manager (Former Employee) –  Enid oklahomaJanuary 25, 2017
If you consider advancement more work less pay perfect for you no salary ot or bonus structure alot of positions due to mass exodus from company wrong people in roles clicky leadership
great company to work for
Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  ILDecember 2, 2016
Not a bad place to work. There are a lot of smart people who work for Koch. Management was good. Would work for them again if I had the chance.
Very strong and solvent organization
Project Manager/Technical Architecture Leadership (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 30, 2016
I worked with many talented people here, and generally the work was gratifying. The Market Based philosophy was great as a way to run a business, however there were occasions where it did not seem to be applied consistently.
Pros
Stable very solvent
Cons
Vision not consistent across all companies
Love the core values.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 13, 2016
Koch's core values are undeniably the right path for an employee base. Integrity and compliance have always aligned with my common sense. Market Based Management is also a mental model that is very natural to me, and provides an exceptional common vocabulary and mental model. For the most part, there are a lot of great people and a lot of great managers at Koch Industries. I cherished my time there.

On the opportunities side, Koch Business Solutions unit needs an overhaul. Their Applications Group is not competitive with external providers in cost, quality, nor competency, and their arrogance and cronyism are against MBM core principles.
Pros
Mbm, great core values, great economics-based culture.
Cons
Change is slow, corporate politics and cronyism in small pockets.
Great company
Leadership and Management (Current Employee) –  Rosemount, MNNovember 13, 2016
I have loved working here for the better part of a decade, the company really knows how to take care of it's employees. If you are looking for stability I highly recommend this company.
A very healthy, professional work place
Corporate Regional Safety & Health Manager (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 31, 2016
Koch Industries is a great place to work. They live out the guiding principals day by day. They are very professional and respectful and full of vision.
A LONG TIME AGO -- Koch is a great company
Process Control Engineer (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXOctober 24, 2016
Koch Industries was the best employer I ever worked for... The people and co-workers were nice enough. The management was good and the benefits were good. I learned a lot on this job because I was working with some knowledgeable contractors. Just a great company.
Good School Job
IEC Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Rosemount, MNSeptember 30, 2016
I worked at OSU during my time at school there. It is a great job because you get to study and be close to your teachers when you have any questions. I recommend.
Solid Retirement Benefits
Top Secret (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 21, 2016
Take care of long term employees, strong retirement benefits, entrepreneurial. Work hard and you will be rewarded. Follow the MBM if implemented in your department, really helps stretch your ability to be a team player.
Pros
Parent Company Growth is amazing
Professional
Receiving Consultant (Current Employee) –  Enid, OKAugust 25, 2016
Professional environment with nice people to work with. Sometimes fast paced, which I like. Great hours 7:00 to 3:00. Receiving invoices from vendors.
They care about their employees
Secretary - Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTApril 26, 2016
Koch Ind. was a wonderful place to work. Huge company, broken into small companies run by wonderful management. Positive daily feedback and stress free environment.
industrial service tech (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 9, 2016
Not a bad place to work just needs to full fill promises made to people. I worked as a NH3 tech in the refrigeration department . My bosses were very good to me If it wasnt for the trouble maker on third shift I would still be there. Guy had allnight to install new water pump in the boiler i took it out on first shift and had it set to go back in well 16hrs later when i came back in it still wasnt installed, made me so mad i had to install it took me about an hour, just lazy tail people that had know clue of the work they claimed they knew.
Pros
Plenty of work
Cons
Lazy people
I wish I had never heard of this company
Tax Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 31, 2016
So, I was offered a tax internship with the company. I had actually been looking for audit positions, but thought that doing an internship in tax might provide some valuable experience. I decided to accept the internship - one of the worst mistakes of my life. The problems started literally before my first day. I was to start on a Monday. I got an email the prior Friday afternoon after 4:00 saying that my background check had not been completed, and I couldn't start work until that had been done. I had signed and returned my offer letter fully 2 months before my start date. Figuring management had decided to rescind the offer and that they were just sending me the email and handing off the problem to HR to give me the bad news, I wrote the job off.

Monday, I got a call at 12:30, saying it had been completed and that I needed to go in that day and sign my orientation paperwork. I talked to my manager, and he said that I could just complete it the next day when I came in. Then, the next morning, the manager told me he didn't know whether interns would be getting paid or not. The offer letter had indicated a rather good salary. Doing some calling around, I found out that I was getting paid the salary indicated in my offer letter.

Next issue: I went through a couple of days of training. Then, the manager was asking how it went. After discussing the class content, the manager said - "wait - that's not the job we hired you to do - the information they gave you is all wrong." I then had another class that afternoon, for which the presenter was totally unprepared.
  more... At this point, I realized I had gotten myself into a total disaster. There were plenty of other things that had happened during that week (way too much to post here), but I went ahead and put in my resignation that evening. The whole experience was miserable. I never have figured out whether it was true incompetence that I was dealing with or if they were just testing me for some reason. The nonsense I saw after I left, though, leads me to surmise that it was incompetence.  less
Pros
Good pay, and seemed to have a good work / life balance.
Cons
Too many to list
Was a very challenging place to work.
Plant Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 25, 2016
6:00am tour facility.
7:30am review production results with staff covering all safety and quality concerns. Set goalls with team.
8:00am send out daily production email to president and vice president.
8:30am daily conference call with corporate.
9:00am safety walk through with an on shift hourly team member. 10:00am reviewed on hand raw materials.
10:30am meet with the purchasing department to discuss materials. 11:00 am conference call with marketing team to discuss material sales and shipments.
12:00pm meet with maintence team to discuss maintenance plan. 1:00pm avaliable to meet with vendors or outside personal.
1:00 pm to 3:00pm 1 to 1's with team members to cover growth oppportunities.
3:00pm conference call with corporate compliance team.
4:00pm conference call with Operations Manager to discuss days results.
5:00pm safety walk through with an on shift hourly team member.
6:00pm review days acitivities.
Temporary employee and per contract
Temporary employee and per contract (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 11, 2016
During my temporary work at Koch industries I felt like I was part of the team and contributed to its success. It was a highly rewarding job. the co-workers were all very loyal, supportive and positive. The hardest part part of the job was to challenge myself daily and to always strive to be the best I can, and that is a great work ethic.
Pros
Great challenges and rewarding work
Poor Leadership
project controls (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 13, 2015
Koch Industries utilize a management methodology called MBM. In theroy this methodology fosters a healthy culture, however after working with two separate companies with in Koch industries I have found that the methodology is not practiced. Upper management does not promote free thinking nor do they allow alignment with industry standards.
Pros
Second largest private company, great health benefits
Cons
Poor leadership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Koch Industries. Our community is ready to answer.