Pros: competitive wages and good benefits
Cons: every thing else including things I would never had imagined a company would do to its employees.
I answered to an ad from Kone Cranes looking for an industrial electrician and from the outside looking in believed to have found a great company to work for. I wished I had known more before joining:
Reality is different. You need to be an electrician mostly to answer some emergency calls and that is less than 5% of your time. All together electrical is less than 10% of your time. The other 90% is either mechanical and/or purely unskilled physical labor in nasty environmental conditions. Overhead cranes are used by mines, sewage plants and other places like that. Cranes usually hang near the ceiling and heat rises, so even in winter it gets very hot up there. That means get a lot of water and a head light permanently to see the work. You often need to climb a lot of stairs or ladders. But you only realize all that as time goes on. After you started working there, it becomes harder to interview for and get another job since you are working away and need to be available for them all the time.
But even before realizing the previous conditions I soon concluded that the company policies did not create loyalty but resentment in me. I could spend a long time describing them, but I will describe the use of credit cards because that is enough to drive the point:
You do not get a company credit card to use for company related expenses from this huge multinational. Therefore, You very often need to use your own credit card. Then, you need to spend at least 20 minutes (always unpaid time I might add due to their unbelievable policy described later on) filling an expense report – more... that was sent to corporate for processing. It usually took 3 or 4 week for you to get a check back. Then you had to spend even more unpaid time to deposit or cash your check. I am not sure if these were my local branch policies or nationwide but I understand that not even my local manager had a company credit card. And paid time was usually tied up to job at the customer site or travel time. So I did not get paid for much company related time spent at our shop. It seemed that every policy was geared against the employee. Do I need say more? Join this company at your own risk. – less