Kootenai Health Employee Reviews

Great job until....
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDAugust 11, 2017
I worked in ortho/neurogly unit. Awesome place for the most part. I had great People to work with and a understanding manager. I eventually transferred and went down to the ER... biggest mistake of my life. It was like walking into high school all over again. There was bickering, back stabbing, and clicks. I tell you what I felt bad for the pts half of the time.
I loved it
Health Records Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDAugust 2, 2017
I loved my job and boss! Wish they payed better, unfortunately loving your job doesnt pay the bills. That is the only reason I left. I dont know what else to say
Contractor
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDJuly 31, 2017
I was hired a temp. I worked in the Social Services Dept. I loved working there and the gals I worked with were wonderful. Great impression. Thumbs up
Great team-oriented hospital where employees matter
Resource Nurse (Current Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDJuly 9, 2017
Excellent mentoring facility where nurses feel valued and part of a team. As much education as you can possibly want to further your skills and knowledge. Most departments are nurturing and welcoming with a real teamwork approach (I'm a float nurse so move around). Excellent charge nurses and managers. My only negative comment is that the cafeteria food is not very healthy or tasty so I bring my own food.
Pros
You actually get lunch most of the time, excellent benefits
Worked here for 18 years
OR Nurse, OR Buyer (Former Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDJune 7, 2017
Was able to broaden my skills after leaving the OR due to a latex allergy. Started in a position that grew along with me and am very appreciative for that opportunity.
Not my favorite place I've worked
Patient Safety Attendant (Current Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDJune 3, 2017
Management is difficult to work with, especially if you work nights. If you need to talk to your boss, you usually have to count on coming in on a day off in hopes that they have a minute to spare for you, unless you just email them in hopes that they'll even respond. Either way, it's usually a shot in the dark. As a Patient Safety Attendant (PSA), it's easy to feel under appreciated. You do a lot that isn't seen, so your work is rarely acknowledged. The food in the cafeteria is over priced and also disgusting. You're only allowed to call in for 3 days a year (that includes sick days, emergencies, bereavement, etc.). Really, the only plus side to working at KH were my fellow PSA's and having really good benefits. Otherwise, I honestly wouldn't recommend working there.
Pros
Amazing healthcare/benefits
Cons
Pretty much everything else
Considering to join the KH team but terrified
Nurse (Current Employee) –  SwedishMay 29, 2017
I am considering to apply to KH due to recognitions for workplace & nurses but reading the issues specially about the management as common denominator makes me think twice. KH seems a great potential and management plays a very important role for employee retention. My hopes for good and positive change.
Great Culture
Chief Information Officer (Former Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDMay 22, 2017
Great people, great culture. An experience I will never forget.
The CDA area is fun and easy going. There are few places in the US that can match the beauty of North Idaho.
A punitive work environment
Clinical Laboratory Scientist (Generalist) (Former Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDMarch 28, 2017
Management there is anything but friendly. You would not be using your knowledge in medical technology to the fullest but wasting part of your time processing which any lab assistant could do. The evening shift is the worst as your task to do the majority of the reference work. They encourage you to give them feedback but make sure you only give them positive feedback or they will be trying to get rid of you. They care more about a Gallop survey than treating patients. My advise is run as fast as you can from this place and don't look back. So sorry I wasted so many years there.
Pros
Free parking and great coworkers
Cons
Just a number and warm body to management
Line cook (Current Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDMarch 11, 2017
as a room service cook I prep specialty meals for the patients. I prep everything from raw poultry to mother sauces to meet the requirements of the specialty diets at Kootenai Health. I have learned more about specialty diets and HPPA/HCAPPS and hospital specific confidentiality. The management is not as balanced as it could be but the Sous are a new and great asset. The hardest part of the job is time management, this is common with any job but when you get comfortable with your work load you can take on more responsibility. The best part of this job was know that the food i make is going to help heal someone.
Pros
Good Benefits, clean work space
Cons
Inconsistent managers
Progressive loss of wages, complete administration/management disconnect
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDMarch 7, 2017
The one constant an employee can count on at KH is change; and I'm not talking about evidence-based change. From our insurance coverage monopolized mandating employees to use KH contracted providers only, higher monthly premiums and deductibles; our health insurance for a family of 4 is now $750/month.
Multiple changes at the bedside happen constantly by administration without nursing and MD involvement. There's a complete disconnect between patient-care staff and management. They make you feel as though you are lucky to work for a "Magnet" facility and treat you like a replaceable piece of furniture.
I've lost 5 coworkers in the last month with experience ranging from 2-20yrs. There's no word from administration as to what's not working, only that those employees will be replaced with travelers.
Administration needs to be clear on one thing....Doctors and nurses can do a good job taking care of patients without your assistance. We are trained to prioritize, triage, rescuisitate, stabilize and get the job done in multiple settings with limited resources, you (administration) don't have a paycheck or purpose unless you have knowledgeable, compassionate bedside staff. Involve them, try to figure out why there's burnout and higher than average turnover rates in every department, throughout the entire facility.

Oh, and administration get some edible, affordable food with cafeteria hours that doesn't cater to just your schedule. Some employees take care of people with uncertain birth, death and care schedules....and those patient's families appreciate having a warm meal
  more... too.  less
Pros
Coworkers and patients
Cons
Nursing administration, horrible expensive food, insurance, lack of patient care equipment
Poor management lower wages
Clerical Support (Current Employee) –  Business officeFebruary 24, 2017
KH needs to retire outdated Director. Overheard her calling employees names. Top heavy management. Hard working lower level staff. No reward for Longterm employees or for job well done. If management did not approve of you, they force you out. Favoritism rules.
Pros
Flu shot
Cons
Low wages not enough employees to care for patients
Stressful unsafe Nursing care
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDNovember 7, 2016
Working at KH as an RN for 9 long years as a staff nurse was a love hate experience being there was NO room for growth unless you were in process of a BSN - you were looked down upon and discriminated if you held a ADN no matter how knowledgeable and safe you were as such. There were way too many "Chiefs" and not enough "Indians". Running around that place like a chicken with its head cut off was the norm under high volumes of stress based on the patient loads assigned on daily basis.
Pros
Benefits/Big blue coffee stand
Cons
Stressful high acuity nursing care with constent calls for help on days off.
Perfect balance of work and play
Medical Laboratory Scientist (Current Employee) –  Coeur D Alene, IDSeptember 9, 2016
the analyzers that I use in the lab are state of the art which helps me perfom my job efficiently. the management always strive to make sure that staffing is adequate while accommodating personal leave and sick leave by other employees.
Pros
nice coworkers
Kootenai Health
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDAugust 24, 2016
I worked for Kootenai Health a very short time. I am not interested in healthcare anymore and am switching my studies to engineering instead of nursing. Kootenai is am amazing place to work and they have such good benefits and perks to working there. Wish I still had my drive to be a nurse I would have loved to keep working for Kootenai Health.
Pros
Benefits, Scheduling
Systems Administrator II (Current Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDJuly 19, 2016
This is a great place to work in a small town. The people are nice and it is in a great location. In order to have a chance to learn and grow, you will have to move.
Growing Company with lots of room for Opportunity
Scheduling Clerk (Current Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDJune 28, 2016
I have been working at Kootenai Health for almost 4 years. Before I moved to the community I heard great things about Kootenai compared to Spokane based employers. When my family moved here it was my top choice to seek employment. I found several positions I would be qualified for, and ultimately was selected for the one I wanted most.

In my time here I have seen a lot of changes with services offered and even the hospital building. Some changes in this timeframe were not openly accepted at first, but in the long run have been the best for the employees, the company and the community. Kootenai is very open with employee communication which I really appreciate. The CEO meets quarterly with all staff to explain what the current projects and goals are. He along with upper management invites employee feedback and questions openly. It is hard to find such an approachable upper management these days.

My department specifically has had changes too. As mentioned in another review, there have been turnovers with staffing. Most have been due to the employee seeking employment closer to where they live or wanting a different role. There are also changes with the addition of graduating students who did clinicals here and at other facilities but chose to seek employment here due to the positive culture. The majority of the department’s staff have been here for years and are committed to teamwork and the success of fellow employees and departments.

My supervisor meets with me frequently to check in on what needs I may have to be successful in my position and encourages my
  more... professional growth. I consider her my mentor and appreciate the constructive criticism and opportunities to expand my knowledge.

Overall I think anyone would be able to find a job here that best suits their qualifications and goals in the medical or professional field.
Pros
Open Communication with management, Room for Professional Growth, Commitment to community needs and employee healt, Full time employees have employer paid insurance premiums
Cons
Not often enough review of wages compared to other cities.
The management is corrupt and breaks down the team.
CT/X-Ray Radiological Technologist (Current Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDJune 16, 2016
The work is great...the boss horrible. If she can break you down instead of build you up she is happy. Kootenai Health has lost over 13 amazing employees that I have seen leave since I have been here only 4.5 years.
Fantastic Organization
Regulatory Compliance Manager (Former Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDApril 19, 2016
Each day was atypical. The people are tremendous, and I still maintain many professional associations there.

Toughest part of the job was not always knowing or understanding the agenda of executive leadership. To see some work and some individuals go unsupported really was puzzling. Personally, I always felt supported and valued by the organization.

The most enjoyable part of the job was having the opportunity to lead the organization from Joint Commission to DNVGL Healthcare accreditation. The positive impact was enormous! I also co-founded and led the North Idaho DNVGL hospital consortium, which is a model being emulated in other parts of the country. This was an accomplishment of which I felt very proud to be a part.
Pros
Great area, great people, growing rapidly
Cons
organizationally disjointed, significant disconnect between executives and everyone else, the wrong people, more self-interested than organizationally-interested, often were rewarded over others.
Revolving door - Not the Best Place to Work
non clinical (Former Employee) –  hospitalDecember 8, 2015
There were so many changes with the new management of the Hospital. They only seem to care about "purchasing" new titles. (eg: Trauma certification, Best Place to Work). Moral was very low. People felt as though they were expendable at any time. In the clinical setting it seemed like only the nurses ever got raises. Unless you consider .25 cents a year a raise. No advancement opportunities. Very sad as this use to be a great place to work.
Pros
people you work with
Cons
short or no breaks, poor management, no incentives, lack of appreciation