KPFF Consulting Engineers

KPFF Consulting Engineers Employer Reviews

Great Place to Work
Technology Intern (Former Employee), Portland, ORJanuary 27, 2014
Great environment, great people, and very successful company.
Working for a large company broadens available contacts
Project Engineer (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZNovember 11, 2013
Pros: none that i can think of
Cons: dealing with management
Company lacks in personal development. Management did not provide an answer as to why they let me go but to the best of my knowledge I believe it was due to the economy and a large lawsuit.
KPFF was a very positive experience.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Irvine, CA.September 25, 2013
I worked as an office assistant for a short time, but the environment was friendly and extremely organized.
Productive and fun workplace with ping pong table
Senior CAD Lead (Former Employee), Portland, ORAugust 27, 2013
knowledgeable co-workers great technical resource. learn on the job Revit modeling skills.
nice place to work
Project Engineer (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 21, 2013
Pros: culture
Cons: frequent layoffs
young and energetic culture, great co-workers and work environment. one bad thing is they are located in between 105 and 405 freeway where the mega heavy traffic happens all the time.
Sweatshop, long hours, with little opportunity for advancement
Structural Engineer/Project Manager (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 29, 2012
Pros: alot of responsibility; ability to seek out work and clients you want
Cons: manager rarely present, no involvement in day to day work/problems, low pay and long hours, no advancement; high responsibility;no decision making authority
May be a good place for young engineers, but most driven people will likely not stay more than 3 to 4 years, given the long hours expected to work with little or no compensation for it, and no raises/promotions. This was my experience. I was promised bonuses would make up for the low salary I originally agreed to, and that there was opportunity for – more... advancement. After 4 years of working there, with workweeks typically averaging 50 to 60 hours per week, these rewards did not materialize.

I saw lack of or no management in the office I worked, with a manager who was rarely in the office, but had large expense account, and little to show for it in the way of projects/revenue brought into the office. There was lack of fairness and transparency in the way of job expectations, job requirements, and metrics used to judge one's performance. No performance evaluations or way to know where you stood or how you were performing, except if you received a bonus or not. Great performers penalized by poor performance of "slackers" in the office. Only expectations were to have profitable projects, but no authority to make decisions to effectively meet these goals (I.e., have budgets for training, adequate software, weed out underachievers or fire/hire people).

Manager had business on the side that took precedence over his job of managing the office. Some employees regularly did work for his side company during regular business hours and with company resources. Toxic job environment where the manager regularly verbally abused employees and I observed employees break down and cry.

I observed manager purchase a few mulitmillion dollars of properties with CASH during the time I was employed. After 4 years of observing all these things I decided I had enough and could do nothing more for the company. Nearly had a nervous breakdown at the end of my employ there. – less
Drafter/Clerical (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJune 26, 2012
Most days were pretty busy with lots of work on hand, made the day go by fast. I learned most of my drafting knowledge on the job, its a great learning environment. Management is great, like the majority of my co-workers. The hardest part of the job is getting all the work done on a deadline. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the social functions – more... that the company offers. – less
Great place to learn by doing and figuring things out
Project Manager/ Engineer (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAApril 24, 2012
Pros: free breakfast on fridays, freedom for managing projects, flexible schedule, new challenges
Cons: healthcare, 401 k does not match, dental plan is not strong, morale can be affect by others
A typical day at work involves catering to daily random needs of clients. After 5'oclock you can actually work on design and accomplish deliverables.

I learned a couple of very important things:
Communication is important - some will work harder than others, while others take the credit and ride along.
Design - There is plenty to learn and KPFF has – more... all the available resources and opportunities to learn.

The management team is generally a nice group of people. The management team is broken into a handful of group leaders. Each group leader has their own personality and each individual leads groups accordingly. Like any personality some individuals will get along and like any personalities there are good and bad parts.

The people at KPFF are culturally diverse and come from all over the world. Each individual at KPFF is interesting and has a great story about their lives and how they arrived at KPFF. Like any basket of fruit, their are some rotten apples. Some people at the company say off-putting and insensitive remarks and disregard peoples feelings; however, some are very understanding and are a joy to work with.

The hardest part of the job is realizing that not all individuals at KPFF are putting in 110%. Some individuals work very hard to meet the needs of the project, while some come to work between 1pm & 5pm and charge overtime. The dishonesty of some individuals does affect the moral of the people of the actual workers.

The most enjoyable part of the job is completing the job and realizing that you accomplished it and the project you designed built.

A plus at KPFF is for the most part the company trusts its employees (a core value); unfortunately, some individuals exploit this dishonestly. – less