KPFF Consulting Engineers Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to be introduced to how an office works and different disciplines of engineering.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 22, 2015
I interned at KPFF Special Projects Division during the summer of 2015 and learned a great deal from the engineer I worked under. I attended meetings at the office and with clients abroad, learned about creating cost plans for the client based on their needs, and how an engineering firm's office works. Overall a very fun and good learning experience!
Pros
In the middle of Downtown Seattle
Great People, but Little Room for Opportunity
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 15, 2015
The people who work in the San Francisco office are great to get along with on projects and outside of work. There is enough diversity within the company to tackle any project that an engineer encounters. Principals encourage engineers to find their expertise with little practice advice or support to achieve career growth. High turnover rate for project engineers.
Pros
free monthly lunch with company financials update
Cons
little support for career growth and little compensation for work
A very professional engineering office.
Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 4, 2015
A constant flow of highly visible projects that always kept the team working hard and striving to achieve success. A great experience!
Professional place to work
Special Inspector (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 25, 2015
This company respects you as a person and a professional. They encourage advancement and training and always attempt to keep you busy doing something.
Non-friendly- Stressful/ unhealthy environment
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles CAJanuary 23, 2015
Poor and Insecure management- If you are a "YES" person this company will take benefit of you. Not a place for an engineer with experience. Management would not let you to grow in this field. lack of communication. This company is full of politics. There are people here that will throw you under the bus to save their own job.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
healthcare
Amazing introduction into Engineering Consulting
Structural Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 18, 2014
KPFF was a great company to introduce me to the field of Structural Engineering. I did a summer internship at KPFF’s Los Angeles office, where I learned how to put together a set of construction documents, how to turn the engineering design I learned in school into practice, and how to respond to the RFI’s and submittals as a designer. I couldn't have asked for more welcoming and well respected co-workers.
Excellent place to learn and advance quickly
project engineer (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 24, 2014
Plenty of opportunity for growth with a management team who dedicates themselves to training and developing staff.
Pros
flexible with schedule and time off
Great Work Environment, Productive and Encouraging
Civil Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMarch 25, 2014
A typical day at work entitled working on the assigned project, answering RFIs and submittals. Re-organizing meeting minutes and performing some design work for a specific project. Also some days I performed field inspection on current construction projects at the Port of Long Beach.

I learned many valuable lessons and had a great experience with the team at KPFF Consulting Engineers. I learned how to effectively communicate with contractors and other fellow engineers from other firms working with us on same projects. I learned how to professionally present drawings on AutoCAD. I learned many valuable design lessons from experienced and great co-workers.

Overall the experience was great, I learned many valuable lessons and got a good idea of how professional civil engineers manage projects and deal with problems as they occur.
Pros
great view of the port from the office.
Cons
the internship duration was only 3 months.
Great Place to Work
Technology Intern (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 27, 2014
Great environment, great people, and very successful company.
Working for a large company broadens available contacts
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 11, 2013
Company lacks in personal development. Management did not provide an answer as to why they let me go but to the best of my knowledge I believe it was due to the economy and a large lawsuit.
Pros
none that i can think of
Cons
dealing with management
KPFF was a very positive experience.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CA.September 25, 2013
I worked as an office assistant for a short time, but the environment was friendly and extremely organized.
Productive and fun workplace with ping pong table
Senior CAD Lead (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 27, 2013
knowledgeable co-workers great technical resource. learn on the job Revit modeling skills.
nice place to work
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 21, 2013
young and energetic culture, great co-workers and work environment. one bad thing is they are located in between 105 and 405 freeway where the mega heavy traffic happens all the time.
Pros
culture
Cons
frequent layoffs
Sweatshop, long hours, with little opportunity for advancement
Structural Engineer/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 29, 2012
May be a good place for young engineers, but most driven people will likely not stay more than 3 to 4 years, given the long hours expected to work with little or no compensation for it, and no raises/promotions. This was my experience. I was promised bonuses would make up for the low salary I originally agreed to, and that there was opportunity for advancement. After 4 years of working there, with workweeks typically averaging 50 to 60 hours per week, these rewards did not materialize.

I saw lack of or no management in the office I worked, with a manager who was rarely in the office, but had large expense account, and little to show for it in the way of projects/revenue brought into the office. There was lack of fairness and transparency in the way of job expectations, job requirements, and metrics used to judge one's performance. No performance evaluations or way to know where you stood or how you were performing, except if you received a bonus or not. Great performers penalized by poor performance of "slackers" in the office. Only expectations were to have profitable projects, but no authority to make decisions to effectively meet these goals (I.e., have budgets for training, adequate software, weed out underachievers or fire/hire people).

Manager had business on the side that took precedence over his job of managing the office. Some employees regularly did work for his side company during regular business hours and with company resources. Toxic job environment where the manager regularly verbally abused employees and I observed employees break down and cry.

I observed
  more... manager purchase a few mulitmillion dollars of properties with CASH during the time I was employed. After 4 years of observing all these things I decided I had enough and could do nothing more for the company. Nearly had a nervous breakdown at the end of my employ there.  less
Pros
alot of responsibility; ability to seek out work and clients you want
Cons
manager rarely present, no involvement in day to day work/problems, low pay and long hours, no advancement; high responsibility;no decision making authority
Drafter/Clerical (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 26, 2012
Most days were pretty busy with lots of work on hand, made the day go by fast. I learned most of my drafting knowledge on the job, its a great learning environment. Management is great, like the majority of my co-workers. The hardest part of the job is getting all the work done on a deadline. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the social functions that the company offers.
Great place to learn by doing and figuring things out
Project Manager/ Engineer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 24, 2012
A typical day at work involves catering to daily random needs of clients. After 5'oclock you can actually work on design and accomplish deliverables.

I learned a couple of very important things:
Communication is important - some will work harder than others, while others take the credit and ride along.
Design - There is plenty to learn and KPFF has all the available resources and opportunities to learn.

The management team is generally a nice group of people. The management team is broken into a handful of group leaders. Each group leader has their own personality and each individual leads groups accordingly. Like any personality some individuals will get along and like any personalities there are good and bad parts.

The people at KPFF are culturally diverse and come from all over the world. Each individual at KPFF is interesting and has a great story about their lives and how they arrived at KPFF. Like any basket of fruit, their are some rotten apples. Some people at the company say off-putting and insensitive remarks and disregard peoples feelings; however, some are very understanding and are a joy to work with.

The hardest part of the job is realizing that not all individuals at KPFF are putting in 110%. Some individuals work very hard to meet the needs of the project, while some come to work between 1pm & 5pm and charge overtime. The dishonesty of some individuals does affect the moral of the people of the actual workers.

The most enjoyable part of the job is completing the job and realizing that you accomplished it and the project you designed built.

A plus at KPFF
  more... is for the most part the company trusts its employees (a core value); unfortunately, some individuals exploit this dishonestly.  less
Pros
free breakfast on fridays, freedom for managing projects, flexible schedule, new challenges
Cons
healthcare, 401 k does not match, dental plan is not strong, morale can be affect by others