KPMG Employee Reviews

Smart People, but slow to adapt to market changes
Sr Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 5, 2016
I found KPMG to be a fantastic place to work in general. Everyone is very smart but that does not mean you will get along with them. They do work hard to advance people but tend to end up very top heavy which can make it hard to complete with other firms on price. I also find that they are a bit slow to take up new technologies that are needed in the industry. My co workers were great and they work hard to teach me new skills but I find that learning new skills is talked about but not necessarily acted upon by senior management so there was little formal training. The hardest part of the job was the constant travel which made it hard for me to have a personal life. Then, when budgets got tight, they cut off travel which made it very difficult to connect with clients. It is a very entrepreneurial culture so you have to make it on your own. Nobody is going to hold your hand along the way, which can be good or bad. It is good that it weeds out those that don't make the cut quickly, but it can be bad that everyone is fighting for the same piece of pie.
Pros
Smart employees
Cons
Lack of training.
Challenging environment, great work experience
Senior Associate, IT Advisory Services (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 12, 2016
Challenging work environment in management consulting practice under the IT umbrella of advisory services. Good opportunity to learn new skills and be exposed to the internal workings of a corporate environment. Management consulting has a great career path or it will allow you to bring a lot of experience and valuable skills to an industry position.
Pros
Challenging work, great team environment
Cons
Lack of a real work-life balance
Great first professional job/tough environment
Audit Associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 21, 2016
KPMG was my first job out of college. It was a great job to start my professional career and I enjoyed being a part of an audit team and learning about the ins and outs of different businesses. The hours were very long during busy season which included 10 hour weekdays and weekend hours from the months of December to April, but I learned a great deal in just the first year. I also started with a large group of college graduates which made for fun office events and parties. The environment was a little too cut-throat for me and I did not see myself working there long-term.
Typical Big 4
Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAOctober 1, 2016
As with most public firms, KPMG has generous benefits and advancement opportunities but you work your butt off to get them. Office politics, long hours and a lack of recognition causes burnout at nearly every rank, but if you put in the time you'll get much further in your career.
Culture of Excellence
Tax Intern, NYFS Real Estate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2016
The culture in KPMG is like that of a family. Everyone works hard and tries to help build each other up. Their intern training program is very comprehensive. In addition to performing associate-level work, I was also assigned special tax research and presentation skills to supplement my professional education. My only problem is the lack of work life balance. Outside of work, I found that I didn't have the energy to do anything other than lounge around the house.
Pros
Stellar training program
Cons
Lack of work life balance
Fun work place
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRNovember 15, 2016
Excellent work place to begin your accountant career. Management very professional and co-workers as well. The most enjoyable working is the exposure and knowledge you can encounter and the diversity of industries you work with.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
short lunch breaks
Great perks but work life balance is hard
Advisory Associate IT Audit and Attestation (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CASeptember 10, 2016
KPMG is a great place to get your feet wet and start a career. I learned a lot and enjoy working here. In my opinion, work life balance is extremely difficult. I enjoy my co-workers and the perks such as insurance, 401k and etc.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 22, 2016
-Amazing coworkers
-Lots of travel
-Long Hours
-Management is a bit out of touch
-Great opportunities to advance career
-Amazing benefits and good pay
Pros
Travel
Cons
Travel
Good intentions often undermined within individual practices
Director, People & Change Advisory (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 3, 2016
Mission and vision are on target but not achieved locally in all the practice areas, especially in Management Consulting. Almost no sense of stewardship and collaboration is limited by policies about sales credit allocation, poorly executed changes in performance management, etc. Hardest part of the job is dealing with the internal politics.
Audit Associate
Audit Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 14, 2016
KPMG as an auditor is a very fast paced environment with great employee personnel. There is continuous learning throughout the experience with the firm. Work life balance is not great at all.
Pros
Compensations
Cons
Work-life balance, Pay, client-based
Great place to start a career
Sr. Administrative Assistant (promotion) (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTSeptember 30, 2016
At KPMG the opportunities are endless. Great work environment with great leaders. The most enjoyable part of my day is all of the different hats I get to wear and the great opportunity I have to network and work with so many wonderful people.
Pros
Work Life balance
Benefits
Overall Good
Risk Management (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 11, 2016
Great firm, interesting work, good training, leading management consulting firm takes care of their employees. good corporate culture and competitive benefits.
Pros
Vacation days
Great
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJanuary 4, 2017
Awesome experience at KPMG with people who care for your well-being. Changing positions or going up the ladder is pretty difficult but the culture makes up for it. They stress a lot on work-life balance which is a plus!
Risk consultant
Risk Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 10, 2017
You will learn a lot in the big 4 especially about various industries. There is opportunity for travel and growing your network. Work-life balance is just a company slogan it does not exist at all, and it will not get better throughout your career.
My work environment
Lead Facilities Cordinator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 5, 2016
I believe in a calm environment as well as a fun place to work
I believe in having the freedom to work my own
The hardest part was the pay raises were very good annually.
Pros
free lunches and socials
Cons
Coperate America mentality
highly stressful environment
Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2017
very stressful and hectic environment where constant deployment on projects translates into a bad work/life balance. the experience is good but the management doesn't appreciate the staff.
Great place to start career .Tremendous opportunities across a variety of functions and industries
Strategic Sourcing and Operations Advisory (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAAugust 22, 2016
Good work life balance
High performance culture
Tremendous opportunities across a variety of functions and industries
Great balance between strategy and operational projects
Good organizational culture and work ethic
Finance & Accounts Intern (Former Employee) –  LagosOctober 14, 2016
KPMG Nigeria was an amazing company to intern with over the summer, the organizational culture of the company is well structured and makes one feel at home right away. I interned for three months, and I wish I could have interned for a longer amount of time, but I had to get back to school. My co-workers were very friendly and treated me with the same respect that they would treat full-time employees. The way the offices were structured allowed for the smooth interaction between supervisors and subordinates. They had an open door policy which allowed easy accessibility to all individuals throughout the company. They also advocated to avoid saying "sir/madam" and just refer to people by their first name. This was a huge problem for me, cause everyone was older. But I eventually got used to it. KPMG Nigeria is a very flexible, yet time filing, occupying company. I'm glad I had the privilege to intern with them.
Pros
Free lunch, Free computer
Cons
Short breaks, No lounge area
rooms for opportunities to grow
State and Local Tax (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 22, 2016
They have very good corporate culture there. Everyone is friendly, approachable, and very smart. They are young and ambitious people, strive for the best. I have had many insightful conversations as an intern. They care about you and your career. The same thing holds for management too, especially the partners. They are motivations for employees at work indeed!
As an intern, I can't tell is there is anything hard at all. But there is a lot of things to learn. So prepare to take initiative and work long hours. Otherwise, if you don't approach people, they won't give you work. Everyone is busy so you must show your presence.
The most enjoyable part is to work with someone you like!
Pros
free lunches, lots of food, structured training, planned activities for interns, works with many teams
Cons
long working hours
Advisory Department
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montvale, NJSeptember 12, 2016
KPMG is a very good company to work for however it also depends on the department you are in. I found that everyone I came across did not like their job. Advisory is a horrible department because of some of the employees that work for that group. I reported my supervisor to the HR department for harassment and they did nothing about the situation. I asked for a transfer and they just ignored me.
Pros
Advisory department is horrible
Cons
Good Salary, stability, flexibility

Ask a question about working or interviewing at KPMG. Our community is ready to answer.