KPMG Employee Reviews

Challenging environment, great work experience
Senior Associate, IT Advisory Services (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 12, 2016
Challenging work environment in management consulting practice under the IT umbrella of advisory services. Good opportunity to learn new skills and be exposed to the internal workings of a corporate environment. Management consulting has a great career path or it will allow you to bring a lot of experience and valuable skills to an industry position.
Pros
Challenging work, great team environment
Cons
Lack of a real work-life balance
Typical Big 4
Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAOctober 1, 2016
As with most public firms, KPMG has generous benefits and advancement opportunities but you work your butt off to get them. Office politics, long hours and a lack of recognition causes burnout at nearly every rank, but if you put in the time you'll get much further in your career.
Great first professional job/tough environment
Audit Associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 21, 2016
KPMG was my first job out of college. It was a great job to start my professional career and I enjoyed being a part of an audit team and learning about the ins and outs of different businesses. The hours were very long during busy season which included 10 hour weekdays and weekend hours from the months of December to April, but I learned a great deal in just the first year. I also started with a large group of college graduates which made for fun office events and parties. The environment was a little too cut-throat for me and I did not see myself working there long-term.
Culture of Excellence
Tax Intern, NYFS Real Estate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2016
The culture in KPMG is like that of a family. Everyone works hard and tries to help build each other up. Their intern training program is very comprehensive. In addition to performing associate-level work, I was also assigned special tax research and presentation skills to supplement my professional education. My only problem is the lack of work life balance. Outside of work, I found that I didn't have the energy to do anything other than lounge around the house.
Pros
Stellar training program
Cons
Lack of work life balance
Fun work place
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRNovember 15, 2016
Excellent work place to begin your accountant career. Management very professional and co-workers as well. The most enjoyable working is the exposure and knowledge you can encounter and the diversity of industries you work with.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
short lunch breaks
Great perks but work life balance is hard
Advisory Associate IT Audit and Attestation (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CASeptember 10, 2016
KPMG is a great place to get your feet wet and start a career. I learned a lot and enjoy working here. In my opinion, work life balance is extremely difficult. I enjoy my co-workers and the perks such as insurance, 401k and etc.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 22, 2016
-Amazing coworkers
-Lots of travel
-Long Hours
-Management is a bit out of touch
-Great opportunities to advance career
-Amazing benefits and good pay
Pros
Travel
Cons
Travel
Overall Good
Risk Management (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 11, 2016
Great firm, interesting work, good training, leading management consulting firm takes care of their employees. good corporate culture and competitive benefits.
Pros
Vacation days
Cons
Good intentions often undermined within individual practices
Director, People & Change Advisory (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 3, 2016
Mission and vision are on target but not achieved locally in all the practice areas, especially in Management Consulting. Almost no sense of stewardship and collaboration is limited by policies about sales credit allocation, poorly executed changes in performance management, etc. Hardest part of the job is dealing with the internal politics.
Great place to start a career
Sr. Administrative Assistant (promotion) (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTSeptember 30, 2016
At KPMG the opportunities are endless. Great work environment with great leaders. The most enjoyable part of my day is all of the different hats I get to wear and the great opportunity I have to network and work with so many wonderful people.
Pros
Work Life balance
Benefits
rooms for opportunities to grow
State and Local Tax (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 22, 2016
They have very good corporate culture there. Everyone is friendly, approachable, and very smart. They are young and ambitious people, strive for the best. I have had many insightful conversations as an intern. They care about you and your career. The same thing holds for management too, especially the partners. They are motivations for employees at work indeed!
As an intern, I can't tell is there is anything hard at all. But there is a lot of things to learn. So prepare to take initiative and work long hours. Otherwise, if you don't approach people, they won't give you work. Everyone is busy so you must show your presence.
The most enjoyable part is to work with someone you like!
Pros
free lunches, lots of food, structured training, planned activities for interns, works with many teams
Cons
long working hours
Great place to start career .Tremendous opportunities across a variety of functions and industries
Strategic Sourcing and Operations Advisory (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAAugust 22, 2016
Good work life balance
High performance culture
Tremendous opportunities across a variety of functions and industries
Great balance between strategy and operational projects
Good organizational culture and work ethic
Finance & Accounts Intern (Former Employee) –  LagosOctober 14, 2016
KPMG Nigeria was an amazing company to intern with over the summer, the organizational culture of the company is well structured and makes one feel at home right away. I interned for three months, and I wish I could have interned for a longer amount of time, but I had to get back to school. My co-workers were very friendly and treated me with the same respect that they would treat full-time employees. The way the offices were structured allowed for the smooth interaction between supervisors and subordinates. They had an open door policy which allowed easy accessibility to all individuals throughout the company. They also advocated to avoid saying "sir/madam" and just refer to people by their first name. This was a huge problem for me, cause everyone was older. But I eventually got used to it. KPMG Nigeria is a very flexible, yet time filing, occupying company. I'm glad I had the privilege to intern with them.
Pros
Free lunch, Free computer
Cons
Short breaks, No lounge area
Working at KPMG
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 19, 2016
I was very happy to work for my management team, partners and managers. And their Work/Life balance was very good and job culture was also very great.
Great training ground for new accountants
Senior Associate & Business Advisor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 7, 2016
Fun place to work, although it was a lot of hours during busy season. Easier to handle the work when your single, not so much fun when you have a family.
Great place to launch your career even if your are not going to stay in public accounting.
Pros
Great people to work with, good training
Cons
Great place to begin a career
Operations Services Lead Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 19, 2016
Started at the bottom and worked hard to get further advancement. Spent my first 6 years under horrible management (3 different managers) before receiving a manager that was actually great. That was when I was able to finally receive the advancement and appreciation that was overdue and well deserved. Fantastic benefits with the company and my team felt like my second family. I would not have left the company had it not been due to me relocating to a state without a branch that I could transfer to.
Drone workforce used as cash cows
Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLNovember 27, 2015
Work life balance is a total lie at this company. They rarely treat their people with humanity, you will have to travel extensively on top of 50-60 hour work weeks. They will tell you travel is Monday-Thursday, I only had one engagement where that was the case. All other were Monday thru Friday.

Pay is usually higher than you will find in similar jobs with other non-consulting companies, but their benefits aren't really that great. Insurance is expensive, poor 401(K) matching, they give max of 2.5% if you contribute at least 5%.

Job security is always contingent on not crossing of the wrong person.

Management will frequently dump secretarial tasks on lower level individuals who are rarely thanked for their efforts.

Job culture is a bunch of Type A hyper competitive, who can brown-nose kind of environment.
Pros
money
Cons
everything else
Advisory Department
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montvale, NJSeptember 12, 2016
KPMG is a very good company to work for however it also depends on the department you are in. I found that everyone I came across did not like their job. Advisory is a horrible department because of some of the employees that work for that group. I reported my supervisor to the HR department for harassment and they did nothing about the situation. I asked for a transfer and they just ignored me.
Pros
Advisory department is horrible
Cons
Good Salary, stability, flexibility
Great Place to Build Your Career
Manager (Current Employee) –  Silicon Valley, CAJune 22, 2016
As per the KPMG tag line, this place really is a great place to build your career. You'll meet some of the finest people and teams to work with and learn a great deal within the first 4 years or up until you are a manager.
Cons
Management does not have a proper vision of where the practice is headed.
Great place to start my career
Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 7, 2016
I could not have asked for a better place to start my career in financial services. A typical day at work consisted of being around people just like myself who like to have fun, learn and engage in challenging projects on a daily basis. It is the planet fitness of the professional realm in the sense that it is a judgment-free zone. Despite the fact that the busy season is a strenuous cycle, you mature and develop in a regimented fashion that all your peers facilitate and understand. The most difficult part of the job is learning on the fly but this is what sets those who excel apart from those that coast. Leveraging resources when needed and client relationships are taught at an early stage in life and individuals are exposed to situations that are incomparable elsewhere straight out of college.
Pros
Free lunches, PTO, great people, great trainings
Cons
busy season, pay