Kroger Stores Employee Reviews in United States

Found 8,265 reviews matching the search
Fast paced, enjoyable work but seriously laking in job culture for their employees
Service Deli Clerk/ New hire trainer (Current Employee) –  MIMarch 19, 2016
I enjoyed the job and the heavy customer immersion. I received many awards for my customer service overall satisfaction accomplishments. However, they are consistently under staffed and the push to accomplish what many people should be doing but only a few are, the pressure is too much. I encountered co workers that were verbally abusive to many employees while on shift and sometimes in front of customers. Management was notified on many occasions by many people and no resolve was gained and it continued. Kroger has many benefits and I was looking forward to advancing but after 2 years was nothing but angry and hated to go to work.
Pros
Fast paced, day flies by, good relationships with returning customers
Cons
Management inability to resolve
Over-trained and under-paid
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Canton, MIFebruary 18, 2016
I worked for this company for 2 years. Starting as a lowly meat clerk at minimum wage. I took extra training and learned to be a butcher and how to order, and how to lead my department in case of the manager's absence. My reward? A 10 cent raise. I worked as a butcher (very dangerous job) and some days as a manager for 8.25 an hour. Ten cents more than MI minimum wage for the time. This company will take advantage of you, tell you what you want to hear, and never deliver on promises. You will never move up, just add responsibilities at the same pay and title. It's ok as a first job. Just don't get caught in the trap.
Pros
Flexible schedule.
Cons
Management is a joke. Expected to do all jobs for minimum wage.
Overrated Company; but still decent.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 3, 2016
The management at Kroger fail to be leaders. The employees are left disillusioned and frustrated with what the see ineffectual and incompetent managers. It really does affect morale. That's something Kroger is quite short on at this time. Everything is completely controlled by corporate, and you are discouraged from taking initiative as a manager. Pretty much they want a college educated warm body to check the box. You have to wait several years to earn a store, and I don''t know how many millenials Kroger thinks they're going to get to stick around for that long. Why sit stagnant and wither away waiting for your opportunity. Come on Kroger, you've got to do a lot better. You guys need some serious leadership training for your management teams on morale and retention; and how leadership correlates to that!
Pros
Fantastic benefits; among the best I've ever seen.
Cons
Too many "positional" managers and not enough leaders!
Fun place to work, but the Union ia more of a problem than a benefit.
Produce Clerk, Floral Clerk, Nonfoods, and Bagging (Former Employee) –  906 S Merrifield Ave, Mishawaka, IN 46544February 9, 2016
Every day was pretty nice and enjoyable, though sometimes could be overwhelming for too many expectations. I was expected to do many jobs, as which I did. However I was taken advantage of for my hard work, and the Union used its wage standards against me to get more work out of a hard-working employee for little money in return to barely support myself. I was expected to work 4 jobs, bagging, produce, nonfoods, and floral. My hours were slashed in half from a department cut. Honestly just a very disappointing experience for the most part.
In my opinion if the Union didn't exist then there wouldn't have been any problems for me.
Pros
Great management, great employees, good amount of breaks and lunch, interacting with customers, fun job.
Cons
Excessive work for little pay, Union, terrible raise and unfair payment for work, too little hours for front end and departments with additional hour cuts
Helpful union benefits and opportunities for developing customer service experience.
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Russellville, ARMarch 8, 2016
Union provides some decent benefits such as a guaranteed minimum of 15 hours even if you should work part time however full time is difficult to obtain without extensive time invested into the job which may not be ideal for some potential Kroger Co. employees. The job of courtesy clerk is not overly difficult and really demands the most from you when you begin the position and are in need of learning the locations of work materials that may not always be as organized as they should be, Co-workers were generally normal and relatively easy to work with. The job of courtesy clerk does however rarely leave you with nothing to do as when one task is finished there is almost always something else that needs to be done due to the relatively broad range of tasks.
Pros
Not too demanding.
Cons
Tedious.
Productive work environment with plenty of benefits and opportunity for advancement with the company. Company is also involved with the community.
Grocery Night Clerk (Current Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAFebruary 29, 2016
A typical day at work consists of breaking down pallets and stocking shelves, while maintaining a clean work environment and providing customer assistance. I have been exposed to working in a team while employed at Kroger. The managers are mostly friendly and approachable, and co-workers are also friendly. The hardest part of the job is probably all the bending and kneeling. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping out the customers.
Pros
Competitive benefits for employees.
Cons
Relatively low starting salary.
Productive And Unique Work Environment
Stocker (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INFebruary 6, 2016
A typical day is clocking in and checking to see where you'll be stationed for today. What I've learned working for Kroger's is that its important to have product in proper area so that customers can have easy access for their purchase. Management was very reasonable, respectful and laid back, very easy to get along with. My co-workers were very helpful and friendly, enjoyed working with such a helpful team. The hardest thing about the job was trying to locate product was not on plan or is no longer being sold in the store. The most enjoyable thing about my job would have to be my co-workers, got out worked and had fun doing it.
Pros
Co-Workers, Compensation, Breaks
Always working
Produce Clerk / Fruit Cutter (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAJanuary 19, 2016
Working at Kroger was not too bad in my opinion. In fact, I learned that I should have definitely been more grateful for the job I had to where I am now. Typically, my work days started off early at 6am in the morning, and if I can recall, I believe my shifts ended between 11am and 1pm for five days a week and $9/hr salary. That was pretty good.
Kroger being my first job ever, I have to say that I learned a lot about trying to handle with customers and other co-workers. I have to say that everyone I knew there, with maybe the exception of one or two people that I couldn't tolerate for minimal reasons that I should have got over, everyone was great! Management included.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being surrounded by nice co-workers I have to say at the least. Also, working with food, regardless if it's just cutting fruits and vegetables and marking down prices of salads. It was all about learning. I learned something everyday.
Pros
Learning experience
Fun and interesting place to work but too many cons of working here
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Bedford, TXDecember 22, 2015
I love produce, don't get me wrong but Kroger is the worst grocery chain in America. You have almost no room to move up the totem pole and raises are non existent no matter how hard or long you work. The managers were very insecure and abused their power greatly, sometimes to the point where it's almost like they forget you're human. The corporation does not listen to employee concerns and whenever you need time off to visit family out of town (granted it was during the holidays) they make you feel extremely guilty for it. It's a great job if you're 16 and in high school but after high school it is not a job for anyone trying to make a living.
Pros
Consistent breaks, department managers are cool
Cons
Horrible store management, no raises and minimal pay, rude customers
A standard minimum wage job at a grocery store.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAApril 1, 2016
A typical day is helping customers and ringing people up at the register. I learned how to deal with people, both customers and coworkers and how to handle responsibilities. The hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable: the people. Dealing with people, can be exciting. You are able to meet a variety of people and interact with them. This is a fun part of the job as long as the customer is happy.
Pros
10% Employee Discount on Kroger Brand items
Cons
Low pay, Few Benefits
Minimum wage, part-time, and no advancement
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMarch 31, 2016
You would probably be better served starting as a bagger in the front end; it pays the same and has many more opportunities for advancement. Pays minimum wage with rare opportunities for raises of about 50 cents. They hire almost no full-time technicians, so no benefits for most of us.
Pros
EZ Fill is easy to use
Cons
No breaks/lunches, minimum wage, part-time, no benefits
Alright job for high school students
Grocery Clerk/Dairy Clerk (Current Employee) –  4919 Flat Shoals Pkwy, Decatur GA 30034March 23, 2016
Krogers pays minimum wage for most of their positions offered. The raises are a joke. They are understaffed majority of the day. Management does not take any staff complaints seriously.
Pros
30 min lunch break, benefits after one year
Cons
Low pay, terrible management staff communication, work way harder than u should for the pay.
energetic and fun work place
orderly product (Former Employee) –  LaGrange, GAMarch 10, 2016
I loved this job. A typical day was helping customers and stocking shelves of doing little tasks around the store. I learned how to do returns, handle invoices, mark down items, and much more. The only thing i had a problem with was the pay and not getting raises on time. The most enjoyable part of the job was being free and not having to be confined to one spot. LOVED IT!!!!!!
Very little room to advance, Low pay, no incentive to work hard, No raises
Clerk (Current Employee) –  La Porte, INApril 3, 2016
I've worked here for years and they don't give raises. They give promotions to people that don't deserve them. As well as giving positions to employees that have not been given the proper training.
Pros
pitiful 10% discount on only kroger products
Cons
almost everything
customer friendly
deli clerk/ head chicken shop (Former Employee) –  Maumee, OHFebruary 17, 2016
This job was okay. I really didn't like it too much because we was always under staffed. Especially in chicken shop there was just one associate working a two man plus sometimes work load. my coworkers was okay, the hardest part of my job was completing all the the many task they give. I completed them but, I felt like if that's the way its going to be, the chicken shop operator should be paid more.
Pros
benefits and culture counsil
Cons
work load and pay ratio
So-so place to work
Cashier promoted to Co-manager (Former Employee) –  Terre Haute, INFebruary 17, 2016
I worked for Kroger for 3 years, in 2 different positions while I was there, including a co-manager position. If you're a good worker and friendly to the customers and co-workers you'll have no problem getting a full time position and moving up in the company. There's a lot of overtime available for certain departments. If you start from the bottom you will make very low wages, but department heads make decent money so it gives you something to work towards. The benefits are fairly good, and the union costs aren't too bad. You WILL work weekends, different shifts, with different days off for a long time and maybe always. I knew very few managers that were good leaders, usually they just seemed to be doing the best they could but were overwhelmed and didn't have the power to make anything better anyway. Some managers were terrible and didn't care about anyone else. I left the company because I had an opportunity to make the same money with a set M-F day schedule so I had to go for it. I got tired of never seeing my family on holidays and weekends.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement, rarely gets boring with so many co-workers and customers, job security for good employees
Cons
Crazy hours and shifts sometimes, working so many holidays and weekends, management can be terrible
Kroger Co.
clerk (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 17, 2016
Kroger is an alright experience, however they are bad at communicating and management is all about themselves. I learned how to operate the store per every department. My co-workers were awesome, but management was very unorganized therefore most people quit. They are short staffed and use people for what they need, but don't want to raise pay. The pay rate between part time and full time is not a significant difference.
Pros
friendly associates
Cons
short breaks, low pay rate, poor scheduling
Average workplace
Fuel Center Clerk (Former Employee) –  Urbana, OHMarch 29, 2016
My job in the fuel center was laid back overall, but it was the only position at Kroger to have a low level of stress. Management was somewhat unpredictable. I enjoyed working with my co-workers. The company as a whole seems to care more about the appearance of the store than the employees compensation and benefits.
Friendly
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Claire Shores, Mi.December 10, 2015
I learned how how to get along with many different individuals and their various personalities. Overall the environment was very warm and welcoming.The store was newer than my last place of employment and a lot cleaner. I worked with people of all ages and some weren't that friendly. However, my older co-workers were sweet and also quite helpful. I learned how to prepare rotisserie chickens and party platters. I never had issues with any of my customers and I was upset when I got laid off because I just started getting used to things. I also couldn't receive any benefits because I had only been working there a month. My favorite part of working there was that management would always have treats and sometimes food in the lunch area that all of us employees were welcome to eat.
Pros
Free snacks, friendly customers
Cons
Unfriendly co-workers, no benefits (hadn't made it to my 90 days
The unlimited opportunities for overtime
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHDecember 27, 2015
Arriving at work and loading stock on the pallet jack and taking it to the dock.
I learned how to ride a 3 pallet jack, in a different warehouse system.
I got along with management team just fine.
I was able to get along with the majority of my co-workers and have respect for them.
The hardest part of my job was the peak season. I handled it without fault and got the job done.
The most enjoyable part of my job were the fundraisers and activities the management planned for us.
Pros
Discount of products.
Cons
Seniority played a big role.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kroger Stores. Our community is ready to answer.