Kroger Stores Employee Reviews

Found 9,583 reviews matching the search
Understaffed and too demanding for a starting job.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rochester, INJanuary 9, 2017
The schedule is changed weekly so you don't know when you work and you might not get days off you need. It is a fast pace workplace that has really no training or care for employees. The management really cares about their raises mostly. Some co-workers are easy to get along with for the most part. They show no thanks to the workers who work hard for barely any money. However connecting with the regular customers made me feel like I was making a difference.
Pros
They are somewhat flexible with your plans
Cons
Bad management and too stressful workplace most days
Has it's flaws like any other retailer.
Apparel Manager (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAOctober 7, 2016
Overall, I like Kroger but the only thing that I dislike is the career path that I have to take in order to advance. I have a degree in fashion and I would like to stay within that field but I was told that I HAVE to become a co manager in order to advance within the company and that includes going for a corporate job! I can be relocated within my district meaning that I can possibly be sent from a marketplace to a traditional Kroger store and that would not make me happy. Lastly, I did not get much of a raise when i became the manager from 1 department to managing 3 departments. I learned how to be patient with coworkers, associates, and customers but many of the things I have learned was self taught as far as the job itself. You can advance very quickly though if you work hard and inform management.
Good job for students or part timers
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAFebruary 10, 2017
Kroger works well if you need a part time, moderate paying job to work into your schedule. They are always hiring new people and do not reward the employees they do keep, so morale is low on average. The company has lots of 'policies' that they tell you to follow, but they override those same policies if the customer complains about them, so the policies are a wash.
The management wants you to do more jobs, but not pay you more to do those extras. So the cashier will be paid minimum wage to cashier and to bag groceries and to provide customer service and other menial jobs on the side. So basically you feel taken advantage of.
Pros
Health care after one year
Cons
No incentives to do better, only 5 cent raises every 6 months
Decent
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 20, 2017
The store I worked in was steadily busy but manageable. The company seemed to always be updating the system with new features to help us do our jobs more efficiently. I rarely saw the district manager or upper management in general. Compared to other pharmacies I have worked in, this one was fairly relaxed while maintaining a focus on accuracy. My pharmacy manager was passive in dealing with issues between co-workers which sometimes created tension in the pharmacy. They pay wasn't great but it wasn't a bad place to work. Your experience with the company will likely depend heavily on which store you work in.
Pros
computer system worked well, benefits were decent
Cons
depends on the store, pay isn't competitive
Good start or finish
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXFebruary 12, 2017
I have only ever been employed by Kroger, so my review has limited insight. Kroger forced frequent interactions with customers, which helped me develop great customer service abilities. Culture depends on location and managers. Working in the meat and seafood department included many duties such as cleaning, stocking, packing meat, weighing meat, and grinding meats. At the end of every shift you need to take down the displays, which can be tedious. The work is hard, but anyone can do it. The work is rewarding, but the payout only makes sense if you're looking for a start or seeking health care/retirement benefits. Some managers micromanage while others leave you to the wolves. You're likely to encounter many management styles and meet a diverse background of people. I enjoyed it, and would return if there was more financial incentive.
Pros
Scheduling flexibility, stable job, good for development, good for retirees, benefits
Cons
Pay, frequently understaffed, occasional uncooperative managment.
Needs work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Novi, MIAugust 29, 2016
Poor Executive leadership. The company has great goals, but puts focus on the customer over its employees as an excuse to drive revenue. Associates are overworked and under paid.
Feedback from long-time associates and management are not heard by upper-level corporate leadership.

This is not a company you want to work for if you have a college degree, unless you have had extensive past experience in the grocery industry. Promotions are extremely political in order to grow beyond the co-manager and store manager level.
Again, the biggest downside is that employees are not paid enough for the long hours and hard work.
Pros
Great 401K match, jobs are usually stable, and a fun fast paced environment.
Cons
High expectations do not align with the pay level
Good Job
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  OhioSeptember 27, 2016
Kroger has an unbelievable culture. At first I thought the employees were all on drugs because they were seem indoctrinated but actually I understand. The company is a good company, is big on the customer experience including employees. I fell in love with them and was soon infatuated myself. I think in the stores, if they scheduled the employees better and hired more, they would do better. Management trainee jobs are good provided you get a manager that likes you or is willing to teach. Only down side is if a Manager does not like you, they will get rid of you. If you feel any animosity toward you, transfer and train at a different store. Good company to work for overall. They just need to tighten up on harrassment of employees and listen to their employees and not just defend Kroger. Work life balance needs improvement. Overall, not a bad place to work for if you are well received.
Pros
Upbeat culture
Cons
Harassment issues
overworked, underpaid
CO Manager (Former Employee) –  VirginiaDecember 30, 2016
If you want to be successful, you have to work a lot of hours. Your success depends on if you rubbed the right people the right way, or who you know. Being a hard worker and a good person doesn't necessarily get you anywhere. Upper management laughed and talked about others behind their back, but lower level employees were very nice. Hourly associates were part of the union which could make progressive difficult.
Pros
benefits, opportunity, size of company
Cons
long hours, no time for break/lunch, poor training
Decent Environment
Deli attendant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, TNDecember 29, 2016
Kroger was a good place to work, but did have some draw backs. Short staffing is a very common issue, and raises are only given on a time bases, not performance. Most crew is enjoyable to work with and management does their job. The most difficult part of the job was the amount of staff vs. work load. The most enjoyable part of working at Kroger was the crew. I made several friends while working here and they made my days much more enjoyable.
Pros
Good people
Cons
lack of staff.
Learn, Grow and Go Anywhere
Assistant Process Change Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 16, 2016
There are many opportunities to grow yourself, advance and move up and around with Kroger. With nearly 3,000 stores, 20 Divisions, 40 Manufacturing plants and Distribution centers, there is an opportunity for everyone and as an associate, you can do many different things. Work/Lift balance can vary substantially on your job function.
Pros
Advancement Opportunities, Benefits
Cons
Work/Life Balance in some job functions
Kroger is a great place to work and family oriented.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INFebruary 4, 2017
A typical Kroger day is helping customers find what they need and asking if you can be of further assistance. Helping other employees when needed in their areas. I learned a great deal about customers, their likes and dislikes especially on how their luncheon meat is cut. Management can be prickly at times but mostly easy to get along with. The workplace culture varies, they do not discriminate. The hardest part of the job can be during the Holidays when it is so busy. I enjoyed mingling with other employee's in the break room during breaks and lunch time and helping people.
Pros
Birthdays are acknowledged, meals furnished for special Holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Cons
I really don't have any cons other than their open door policy could be improved somewhat.
Good Place for students, difficult balance for full time
Assistant Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Galloway, OHJanuary 12, 2017
I worked at the company from the time I was in high school until I was about to finish college. As a part time student the hours were flexible and manageable. Once I became full time as an Assistant Customer Coordinator I found the work hours difficult to balance with my home life, the hours range from 5-1 to 4-midnight. I also found that the job was demanding to the point where some tasks were impossible to finish within a work day. The company has a heavy focus on customer service which is great, but sometimes it is at the expense of its employees. The pay is good, especially the more time you work there and the benefits (at least in the columbus division) are phenomenal and extremely affordable. It is a company that requires you to make it your number one priority.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
hours, work load, management
Great experience and pay is decent but no work life balance
Co-Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 7, 2016
I have gained a lot of experience from Kroger management and the pay isn't bad but they isn't any work life balance at all. There is a path for advancement but its hard. I've learned so much for this company and i am grateful but i've made a lot of sacrifices in order to be successful as far as time with family and my wife. Overall its a great company but its just hard to maintain any type of personal or family life.
Fulltime
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 21, 2016
Working 40 hours a week at kroger as a cashier is just not worth it. Wages are to low for what we deal with. Making only 8.40 an hr is horrible compared to other grocery stores. staff always quits and new ones brought in all because not enough hours are given. Most staff nowdays doesnt care about anything. The store i work at has gone down hill big time. I think its good for high school kids starting out in the job force. If they would pay us better i think the staff would stick around and do a better job. Even are breaks are terrible. 2 15min breaks for an 8 hr shift is not enough. Hoping to find a new company to work for. Cant even get a good raise which i sure could use instead of a 5 cent raise every so often. management doesnt seem to care about us. same goes for corporate. they only care about the money .
Pros
discounts
Cons
short breaks, low wages
It's Mediocre
Experienced Deli Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GA 31410January 12, 2017
Kroger does not like to pay their employee alot, most of the facility equipment are never working and would rather harm you instead of making your job experience better.
Management does not really know what to do.
Employees are friendly, guest are a different breed, somewhat like Wal-Mart but spelled Kroger.
New recruit come and go, most quit before the first pay check. Does not train employee very well.
Give employee free water bottle during break time, have store discount exclusive to employee and their family. Does not hire for fulltime even though requested full time. Part time generally get 40+ hours during the week because of under staff.
Equipment's are always breaking down even when they're perfectly new. The inspector that come are BOUGHT inspector, generally passing the store as good when indeed it's not.
Pros
Free water bottle, Friendly Staff, Employee Discount
Cons
Long hours, Called in during day off, bare bare minimum of 7.25, forced to pay legal fee
Typical Day
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 4, 2017
A typical day at work is good, meeting new people and getting to know familiar faces which also the most enjoyable part of then day for me. I learned how to be a front end lead supervisor. Management was new as everyone was learning about each other. The culture of the workplace was a fun environment, but hardest part of the job was working overtime and only getting 10 minute breaks.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
healthcare benefits
Pros and Cons but Mostly Cons from my experience
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Madison, ALDecember 24, 2016
I was told when I was hired that they never hired for higher positions from outside the company, but time and time again I find that to be false. I have been cross trained in all but three departments and I have been stuck as a cashier since a month after my initial hire date. They do provide benefits to part time employees as well as full time employees, but good luck getting them. You have to qualify for full time, which typically isn't that big of a deal, but when you have management going behind everyone's backs and cutting hours just to up their end of the year bonus, it's hard to qualify for anything.
Kroger advancement slow to none all about who you know not what you know
Buyer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 17, 2016
i have been at Kroger Corp office for 7 years now. In the past 2 years Kroger has taken steps backward on how they treat associates. When i started i was so happy to be with Kroger and liked the way they treated everyone with respect and dignity. It was truly an honor to work here and at Corp Office. Now it is a different world they are hiring only Interns, falsely reporting retention numbers, sales numbers are no where close to being honest numbers. Benefits have gone down to none existant expect for senior leadership all others are told one thing and another thing is happening.
Pros
I have been here long enough to have 3 weeks vacation
Cons
everything, salary, benefits, job security all have gone away
Worked there for 5 months only
Staff Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Charter Township of Clinton, MIOctober 11, 2016
Was there for a short period of time but I think overall the company did have better benefits than anywhere else I have worked and the management team seemed more responsive to our inputs/efforts. The only hard part were the long hours. Not good for mental healthy, physical health, and family life. There is also one big negative that comes to mind...you have to select your vacation 1 year in advance. I think that is hard to do. I can understand 5 to 6 weeks in advance but scheduling it 1 year in advance is hard.
Decent company, several opportunities for improvement.
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Rockwall, TXSeptember 16, 2016
Management is good, at least at my store. They tend to stay out of the way for the most part. Job is stable and easy enough if there are enough people in the department. Coworker relations depend on which store you go to, but for the most part they are friendly and pull their own weight. The hardest part of the job is during the holiday season when the workload triples and they don't hire extra people to take care of it.

Very little work/life balance. The entire company has decided to only write schedules 1 week at a time. I could have any Saturday off and not know when or even if I work on Sunday. It is hard to plan anything more than a week in advance.
Pay is based on experience, but is not competitive in the least. Other retailers will pay $2-3 more per hour starting out.
Pros
Managers and coworkers are friendly, customers are friendly, and the job is stable. It makes a good first job.
Cons
Schedules only written one week in advance, pay is considerably lower than competition, all departments are severely understaffed during busy season

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kroger Stores. Our community is ready to answer.