Kroger Stores Employee Reviews in United States

Found 8,061 reviews matching the search
Kroger was a nice and friendly place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIMarch 25, 2016
Most days at Kroger are pretty busy and fast paced and than some days are slow. I have learned to put the customer first and to provide customer service with a smile and proper eye contact. Management goes over and beyond to provide associates with the tools they need to provide excellent customer service. The associates at Kroger are friendly and provide the best customer service. The hardest part of the job is identifying fraudulent purchases and the most enjoyable part of the job is being able to interact with people and help find what they need.
Flexible schedules Pefect for students. Pay is minimum wage.
GENREAL MERCHANDISER (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAMarch 30, 2016
Easy work, the schedule is flexible, decent management, pay is horrible. It is primarily used as a good first job to learn responsibilities, or the retired to have something to do during the day. Not meant for the long term or anyone attempting to pay rent on the wages provided here. Although higher pay can be achieved if you stay long enough.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
minimum wage
It's a Retail Job
Bagger and Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 12, 2016
Work is a little monotonous if you let it be but that is the gist of any retail job. My days consist of bagging with a smile and small errands when asked. The rest of my responsibilities were gathering and or organizing carts, minor cleaning/housekeeping, and sorting and returning misplaced items. The hours are alright and the pay is non-competitive so expect the minimum. They work on a seniority system, so if you want to move from the starting point of bagging and you don't have history doing any other jobs in the store you have to wait a few months. The most difficult part of the job is dealing with ornery customers and standing for long periods. The best part of the job is probably your fellow workers and the mostly easy going work environment.
a fast paced job with
DELI / BAKERY CLERK (Former Employee) –  Canton, ILOctober 23, 2015
fast paced physical job with nice incentives. only complaint was lack of full time hours and poor management within the department and store. I believe this is solely due to the personalities of management within this store and that this store does not reflect or demonstrate the core values of the Kroger company. I regret that my employment opportunity was with this store because I have been a Kroger shopper for years and think they do offer a lot including opportunities for advancement and further training to enhance work performance and resume.
Pros
convenience of being at grocery store, weekly pay, incentives such as store discount and bonus opportunites
Cons
turnover within department and management
They offer almost minimum wage for all new hires.
Produce Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 15, 2015
I have been working in the produce department for about four months, making a little over eight dollars an hour. Even with my prior experience controlling my own produce department and also being a assistant produce manager for a different location, I was only able to start out around eight an hour. I have had to deal with issues out of my control from my human resource representative ever since I started working for Kroger.
Pros
Laid back environment, plenty of employees amongst all departments, and event exclusives for employees.
Cons
Very low entry pay regardless of prior experience, no notable benefits for part time employees, revolving door of people due to poor pay, very low chance of making full time status within a year of employment, and you have to work for Kroger at least eight months to be considered for management.
Fast paced environment
Back-up Meat Dept. (Former Employee) –  Ansley Mall KrogerJanuary 21, 2016
Kroger is a good company in terms of benefits. But they do not pay well to start. They pay for tenure, and not performance. But the company plans to open several stores in the Metro Atlanta area so opportunity for advancement is high if your motivated.
Pros
benefits, great co-workers, union
Cons
pay, fast paced work environment
Needs to come into 2015
Corp. HR Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 22, 2015
Very old school place to work, limited ability to advance. No work life balance, every department is ran like it is the grocery store.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
No advancement potential
Fun workplace bad pay
Grocery Night Stocker (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 1, 2016
Kroger is an awesome company to work for. Unfortunately they have terrible pay for employees. They do not like giving raises to the hardworking employees. Favoritism plays a big role in employee compensation. They expect you to do more work then they pay you for.
Pros
long shifts
Cons
low pay
Fun Work Place
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAFebruary 27, 2016
They treated me very well, Advancement Opportunities Easy with hard work and dedication . The management is very friendly and great pay! If i were to move back to Atlanta, Ga I would Return to Kroger.
Pros
Great Atmosphere
10% off Kroger brand products
Home goods Associate (Current Employee) –  Mount Orab, OHFebruary 10, 2016
Low pay, with even lower raises, no hours. this job is only for teenagers who need gas money. there are no benefits for employees and no one gets family health care insurance!!!!!
Pros
Great if you only want to work two days a week
Cons
No benifits, no room for improvment
A standard minimum wage job at a grocery store.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAApril 1, 2016
A typical day is helping customers and ringing people up at the register. I learned how to deal with people, both customers and coworkers and how to handle responsibilities. The hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable: the people. Dealing with people, can be exciting. You are able to meet a variety of people and interact with them. This is a fun part of the job as long as the customer is happy.
Pros
10% Employee Discount on Kroger Brand items
Cons
Low pay, Few Benefits
Great Place to Work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIJanuary 23, 2016
It's a very easy-going type of job. There's a lot of standing around waiting for customers, but I did learn a lot. Smile, communicate, and to go above and beyond no matter how small the job is. Of course I learned basic cashier responsibilities also. Management was great and did their jobs very well and by the book. My co-workers were a very diverse set of people that I was able to work as a team with and made work enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was memorizing where things were in the store to help customers. The most enjoyable part was working in an enthusiastic work environment. Previous jobs I have had weren't so ready to set goals and accomplish them. I loved having my managers encourage me to go the distance, instead of just running the store.
Pros
Breaks, paid vacation
Cons
sometimes disorganized
Fun job
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chester, VAJanuary 30, 2016
Typically I come in and assess how the promotion tables, other tables and the wet wall where all the produce that needs to be under temp control are doing and go from there unless I come in early in the morning and I have to cull rotate the wet wall. They drill into how important it is to cull and rotate so I follow it religiously while filling up the tables that are in need. There's always something to do like down stacking pallets that come in on the truck and sweeping cleaning the floor. Not a hard to job by any means, has the usual workers that take there sweet time working and going and hiding. Talking to the customers is the funnest part of thew job.
Pros
Free food somettimes, emplyee discount
Cons
Low pay, no static schedule different hours at differnt times every week
management are not helpful because most of them don't know how to operate essential store duties or machinery
Front End Associate (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 12, 2015
My fellow associates and most supervisors work together and help one another out to improve and maintain a positive work environment. The management staff don't know how to operate self check out properly or a cashier effectively so it makes it difficult to ask for help.
Pros
paid weekly
Cons
no pay raise when promoted
Day at Kroger
DELI/BAKERY CLERK (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 5, 2016
A typical work day consists of giving excellent customer service and producing baked goods.
Store management is great. They know what they are doing and try to be good leaders.
My co-workers are great. Probably the best part about my job. Because of them, I enjoy going to work.
The hardest part of my job is trying to get all of the daily tasks done when we are short handed in my department.
The most enjoyable part of my position is I get to decorate cakes which is a hobby of mine.
Pros
Paid breaks
Cons
Short staffed
Flexible hours and it pays some bills
Drug GM Clerk (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJanuary 21, 2016
It is a good place to work for a high school or college student that needs flexibility with hours during school then maximum hours during breaks. A typical day at work on day that a truck is received involves breaking down the truck and unloading products. After the truck is unloaded, the product is taken to the shelves to be stocked. If product does not fit on the shelf, it is scanned into backstock and put in the storage area. After the truck is completely put away, the shelves are conditioned, which involves moving product forward and straightening shelves to make them look nice. On a day that a truck is not scheduled, the backstock is moved to the floor. After this is completed, conditioning is done for the rest of the shift.

I have learned patience with this job. Customers come in frequently looking for someone to yell at. When I am the person they find, it is my job to calm them down to find out how I could best help them. This does not always work, and management must get involved. Some co-workers are also not the most fun to work with, but the best must be made out of any situation because that is life. Other co-workers make working inside all day a little more enjoyable.

This job is not a hard job. The only struggle is getting work done when employees from previous shifts do not finish before they leave. Things happen and other departments need help throughout the day, so you do your best to finish a days work no matter if it is your responsibility or not.
Pros
paid vacation after a year, flexible hours, easy work, raises
Cons
union dues take a good chunk of my part-time check, angry customers, minimum wage
It has a great staff and the customers love it!
Dairy Stocker (Former Employee) –  South Shore, ILApril 2, 2016
I can came in and ask how is everyone doing. I learned how to communicate better and get more involved with the customers. The management was really nice. My co workers were ok some were nice some just needed the cash. The hardest part was not having a good time while there. The most enjoyable was interacting with the customers. I love seeing people happy.
Pros
Discount, Union
Cons
Short breaks
Good
Mainframe Developer (Current Employee) –  Blue Ash, OHMarch 30, 2016
Good profile
keep you challenged
good work life balance
good management
good team
love to work on tickets that were challenging
Excellent productice working enviornment
Drug GM Clerk / Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Holland, OHFebruary 8, 2016
Steadily paced work enviornment with many different work areas. Management and co-workers were easy to work with and always there to help you when needed.
Pros
discounts on inventory
Cons
not full time, no benefits
Poor company
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Orange, TXFebruary 5, 2016
No raises given for incentive or work ethic. YOu get .20 cents the first year and .10 cents a year after that. Not enough staff for the store to function properly. If you were going to work for in retail. I would shoot for home depot or somewhere they pay you decent.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kroger Stores. Our community is ready to answer.