Kum & Go Employee Reviews

Work is fun for the most part, some managers need a better attitutde
Cashier (Current Employee) –  OklahomaFebruary 27, 2017
I love working for this company.

Most of its employees are nice and easy to work with.
Most of the managers listen and help with in questions or concerns.
Job security is not the best.

The best thing and sometimes a hard thing is helping and dealing with customers. The hardest thing is coverage.

No breaks, little coverage, and very little benefits.

I love the culture of this company the majority of customers are nice and make the job easy, some don't. But no matter what I always have a smile on my face. Doing so allows myself to have a good attitude and shows my customers I care.
Pros
Raises every 6 months
Cons
No Breaks, standing entire shift, not enough employes to help cover.
Very short staffed and unqualified store
Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IAFebruary 2, 2017
A typical day at work would include an 8 hour shift with only about 3 people in the store tasked with time sensitive deadlines. Management was hyprocritical and did not pay fairly, promised automatic seniority raises that weren't given to certain people, or they would try to get out of giving them. Absolutely no sick days, even with a note usually, as they were no people in the store to cover. A cashier might have luck getting a day off
Pros
Independant working
Cons
Doesn't offer breaks or good pay/hours
Independent job, Property Visual Manager
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 1, 2017
Watching for illegal Activity, party's, dealing drugs, ete.. Calling Vendors for Maintenance issue's. Small Maintenance issue I handle. Learned a lot about the do's and don'ts of Property Management. Overlooking the 6 plex, the house had a early 1900 look to the inside front entry way, separating the stairs to the apartments. And with all the different people from all over the United States and the world. Made it a culture shock. I think the worse thing about the job was, giving someone a eviction notice to move out. But? The best part about the job is, watching a family move in. After being without a home for a while and seeing the smiling faces as they enter there new place of residents
Pros
Rent was lower and I had the best apartment
Cons
Sometimes you deal with bad people.
Its better than you might think
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Grimes, IAJanuary 19, 2017
As a general manager you are expected to work at least 50 hours a week. Essentially being on call for 24 hours a day can be a drain and a pain. But the salary was fair, and the monthly bonus potential was decent. The company seemed to put more emphasis on profits than they did on people. Which meant that stores were left to be covered by a single individual most times. This leads to an overworked, and under engaged employee. It also seemed that the corporate office was incredibly out of touch with what it takes to successfully operate at the store level. But for the most part the job was fun, the company culture embraced and for the most part encouraged it. Surrounding yourself with a like minded staff, and decent regulars made the day better as well.
Pros
tuition reiumbursement, Christmas Club, Manager Salary
Cons
24/7 on call, High turnover
Productive enviroment, although rapidly changing associates.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Gypsum, COJanuary 3, 2017
With this occupation I learned great management skills such as ordering, hiring, inventory, customer service, the conducting of other associates and more. The environment was productive and could be fun although the job was still accomplished daily. I believe the hardest responsibility that came with the job was providing efficient work within the daily schedule.
Pros
For managers: Benefits such as medical and dental.
Cons
No lunches, no vacation time.
Good Place to Work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  IowaMarch 18, 2017
K&G has been very good to me. This is my 2nd go around with this company. The first was great until a change in management resulted in a serious personality conflict, that ended up forcing me to quit.
This time, when I went into my interview I was honest about how many days a week I could work, and which days I was willing to work. They understood and have accommodated me quite well.
I was hired for exclusively overnights, and find that even though the other shifts tend to slack off on floor work (cleaning bathrooms, changing trashes, mopping, stocking cooler, etc) it is still a good job and a decent living.
That said, this job is not my family's only income, and if it was, I would definitely be in a bind. The pay is ok, but not great, and the shift differential only runs from midnight til the end of the shift in the morning.The benefits are not great, and are very expensive. Living in a small town limits your job choices however, and this is one of the better places to work.
Management is great at my store, but could be a little less nice and a little more stern in regards to discipline.
The customers are the best part of the job, and it's great to have regulars come in and get excited because you remember what kind of cigarettes they smoke, or what their &Rewards number is so you can apply their points without their having to do anything.
Overall, I enjoy working there, and I'll be sad to leave once I get my degree and find a career in that field.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Long time on feet, no breaks
expierence in many positions at this store
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Pawhuska, OKFebruary 10, 2017
a typical day at work; much cleaning while still managing the register and keeping product full.
Management was painful to work for due to inadequacy.
Pros
customer interaction, fast pace enviroment, busy day, competitive pay
Cons
No breaks, no real assistance to understanding of prior priorities from mgmt, mgmt has no concern for family emergancies, improper training and expectations given to new hires
Great place to work, except for the long hours for managers
Management (Current Employee) –  OklahomaJanuary 4, 2017
Performance Driven company... quick advancement for the dedicated, motivated, hard worker. It is easy to feel forgotten when you promote into upper management
Pros
Fun, customer service environment, good pay
Cons
From a Management perspective, hours given for scheduling is not sufficient to adequately support the business need.
Decent work, good advancement opportunities
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Story City, IAJanuary 2, 2017
There are a lot of opportunities to advance. Only 6 months in I was offered a position as Sales Manager, which pays around $10 starting in my area. After a year, General Management (which has a starting salary of ~$40,000) is a real possibility.
Nice place to work
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Neola, IAFebruary 27, 2017
Nice company to work for. Hardest part of the job is dealing with an irrate customer. The CEO and upper management of company are awesome people to work for.
Pros
Good benefits, and love my regular customers
Cons
short or no breaks

Want to know more about Kum & Go?

Ask a question
Great Place To Work
District Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 18, 2016
K&G has been a great place to work for the last 14 years. I was given the opportunity to grow and advance in my career. They offer great benefits, competitive pay and fun place to work.
Fun culture, room for growth
Real Estate Development Manager (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IADecember 21, 2016
Strong company culture with constant intent to improve and make associates feel valued. Good work/life balance and good managers that promote internal growth.
A very demanding job.
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Greeley, CODecember 24, 2016
As a General Manger you work long hours. Being a 24/7 365 days a year business I am required to fill in any shift that needs to be filled. Overnight shifts are the hardest when my normal schedule is 5am-3pm.

The most enjoyable part is the interactions with my customers. Most come in to the store daily on there way to work.

A typical day starts out doing the daily books/banking paperwork. Followed by reviewing the overnight shifts check list of duties to be preformed. Coordinating the days priorities with staff to ensure tasks are completed on time and adhere to company policies.

I learned to manage my time more wisely while trying to run a business with many areas of focus. Fuel pumps, kitchen, inventory, and daily reports sent to corporate offices.

My co-workers/employee's are part of my family and I try to treat them as such. It takes a team to be successful.

This has been the toughest job at the General Manager position I have had. I have a great group of other GM's in the area to rely on for help when needed.
Pros
Running a successful 24/7 business. Bonuses available based on your performance.
Cons
Long hours and high turn over with employee's.
Positive environment, and talented upper management team
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Williston, NDDecember 9, 2016
This company was a huge step up when it came to quality of work. Nearly all associates and senior staff members were very knowledgeable, and helpful with day to day operations.

Upper management visited site locations often, and always offered advice, and tips on improvement.

Hardest part of the job was none. Everything was handled as it came it, the rest was proactively handled.
Pros
Great teams at multiple stores, and great senior staff.
Cons
None.
Enjoyed the job liked the customers enjoyed being a part of a group of people working together with a goal of smooth running clean store.
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJanuary 14, 2017
Most of the managers are helpful when life changes example..I was my mother's caregiver for 3 years till her death. My manager always helped when emergencies came along. Luckily there were few but he and those I worked with always stepped in when the need arose.
Pros
Pto, health insurance 401k support from supervisors
Cons
No breaks
Use and Abuse
Food Server (Current Employee) –  Ames, IASeptember 22, 2016
Working for this company means use and abuse
Management staff dirty
Advancement does not come
Under Age Sales Managers give advice on alcholic beaverages to customers
All you do is cleaning
Pros
Regular Customers Good
Cons
No breaks, bad insurance, on call this is no a health care environment
Room for Improvement
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  3104 University AveDecember 28, 2016
This is an easy, entry-level job with the most important skill being patience. The typical day is fairly monotonous with the exception of a few good regular customers (if you're lucky). The worst part of the job is typically cleaning the restrooms. As far as Advancement opportunities? hahahaha

Regardless of what my Bachelors degree was in, I was still not respected or compensated appropriately.
Pros
Employee Loan Program
Cons
Monotonous
work experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAAugust 23, 2016
A typical day is fast paced and always on the move. The customers on average come in spurts. So preparing in between is crucial because we had to be prepared for a big wave. Depending on the time some customers were cheery and some were not so keeping a smile on our face was intentional to make everyone feel positive. Management was great and there to help along the way with everything. Co-workers were amazing and easy to work with. The hardest part of the job was not knowing what to expect in a big environment and that anything could happen at any time in that type of work place. The most enjoyable part was actually being on the move and always having something to do.
convenience stop and mini restaurant
Customer Service Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARAugust 13, 2016
typically I come in on days that we receive the freight and put that away and then work the front at check out or do other clean up and restock of items needed to the supplies.
I love meeting the repeat customers that like it when you remember them. Management was changed in May and the previous manger was a lot more helpful and never negative to the staff.
I try my best to get along with everyone, but there are always negative people in every situation and we have to learn how to not let those people get you down.
Hardest part of the job is working in the sub zero and milk coolers. It's too cold in there.
The most enjoyable part is helping a customer and then them making good comments to the management staff about me.
Pros
higher paid
Cons
not enough hours for staff
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 2, 2017
All in all not a bad place to work, promotions can be hard to attain but we'll worth the struggle. A place where working hard pays off.
Pros
Employee drinks are 32 cent
Cons
No breaks, No other discounts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kum & Go. Our community is ready to answer.