Kum & Go Employee Reviews

Ok for awhile.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Altoona, IAMay 30, 2013
I started working here before my junior year of high school. I loved it at first. After awhile I began to sour to it because the hours are ridiculous. I constantly had to work 3-11 pm and wake up at 6 the next day to go back to school. The turnover rate is incredibly high and most people who work here dont care about doing their job. The management never holds those people accountable so I usually had to do the job of theee people during my shifts. You are also expected to work every holiday but they only pay you holiday pay on Christmas, Thanksgiving, and New Years. I havent gotten to attend my familys xmas or thanksgiving for two years because my management scheduled me to work during these timss so they could be off with their families. Ive alsp received two raises which total to 53 cents except it topk six months to finally get my one year merit raise. My manager was alsp extremely lazy and never showed up on time and constantly left an hour or more early. She ledt my store and my cuerent manager is mucb better. I alsp hate how I M always forced to work alone. Its nice to not have anyone micromanage you but its also extremely dangerous. I liked the customers a lot though. Corporate was also a joke. They frequently tried to encourage people to make sales except they dont award associates for high sales. Whenever they do have a sales contest its either to wear a polo or the store manager receives the prize. Overall I would say they are terrible at motivating people to work and do tjheir best. The only reason I have is becasue im self motivated and have pride in my work ethic.  more... I was alsp looked over for a promotion that my manager even said I should have received because my schedule didnt allow me to always be on call...except they always call me in and never make the sales managers come in. Very belittling and frustrating company to work for.  less
Pros
customer interaction
Cons
poor benefits, long hours, no breaks, poor management
Unbalanced workload when it comes to shift duties.
Sales Associate II (Current Employee) –  Evans, COOctober 8, 2014
When I get to the store I check outside trash before I go inside to see which ones need to be changed beforehand to get a jump on that chore. Then depending on who is working I either have to deep clean the store immediately or start the end of day register reports, then I start on the fountain and cappicino machines. I take the novels off of fountains and replace with clean ones and then take down cappicino machine completely and wash in back room. Then I start to clean bathrooms for first time then go outside to change trash, refill windshield wiper fluid, paper towels, and receipt paper for gas pumps. After that I clean the roller grill and put the cappicino machine back together then clean tea and coffee urns along with their accompanying trays and the koolee machine drip tray also. Then check bathrooms again, check the cooler for low products, restock shelf items, also have to stock cigerettes, help customers, clean store by sweeping and mopping, taking out the trash and keeping parking lot clean. All other shifts have half these chores and two associates working them but the overnight shift, which I work is by myself and expected to do more chores, but I get it done and better than the other shifts so always up for a challenge.
Pros
a few friendly regulars that make the night barable to work
Cons
horrible scheduling issues and a lot of deceit withing the managment.
Corporate Nightmare
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 7, 2012
I had a lot of trouble with my employer doing their part in what was asked of us at our job. I needed important documents that my boss could have gotten for me but her boss said she couldn't. I left messages to our corporate office and never got my calls returned once. The benefits are way to expensive for what little they pay us and they make it seem easier to just get government assistance. They write all these articles about how they are doing so well and yet their employees suffer so much. They said we we're having our best year yet and we don't see any of that although they claim that those of us at store level are the ones making a difference. The only thing I could say I enjoyed about that job was feeling like I made a difference when people came to my store just to see me and talk to me everyday sometimes multiple times a day. They expect you to be on call to fill in shifts no matter the time of day.
Pros
if you like to talk to people i guess
Cons
no breaks, felt like no time at home for myself, lack of upper managment
enjoyable staff
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDMay 20, 2015
the co workers I had were a blast. they made moving to a new area so much less stressful. the management was rocky when I was there due to the process of switching titles from one manager to the other. the only thing I was really let down by was that they continued to keep an employee that had multiple complaints (verbal and written) against them. other than that, the short amount of time that I had gotten the opportunity to be employed at this establishment had been very enjoyable. the tasks were easy to learn and adapt to as long as they didn't change. the most difficult part was resetting my routine to fit this location's needs, other than that the customers and employees were wonderful. the only thing I would regret about this job is that I wasn't able to give notice to leave when I did.
Pros
steady schedule, wonderful co workers, friendly customers, easy to learn work.
Cons
single coverage made it sometimes difficult to get a break in
Not a Good Company to work for
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARFebruary 7, 2014
Your hours will very from day to night, night to day, no set schedules and no breaks; unless you're a smoker then you can get a 2 minute smoke break every few hours. The NWA market manager isn't a very nice person and doesn't really seem to care about his associates or how their store managers treat their associates. Each store seems to make their own rules, so depending on your store manager will depend on how you're treated.

OH, you do get a soda while you are working for $0.30 but the police, fire department, and military get free ones when they come in while in uniform. But don't get me wrong, I thank God everyday for what our Police Officers, Firemen, and Military do for us everyday and they do deserve our thanks and gratitude no matter how small the compensation might be.
Pros
you have a job!?!?
Cons
many, read the review.
Fun place to work, but not exactly as the corporation views
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  IowaJanuary 20, 2014
I have worked for K&G over six years, and it has provided me with opportunities to learn new tasks, meet people, and find friends. However, the corporate executives of the company live on an entirely different planet than the employees that have made the company what it is today. The corporate executives and the president don't seem to have a clue when it comes to the company's own mottos.

For example, the company claims it cares about family, yet often the lowly employees work every holiday and weekends with very little compensation. There are about only four paid holidays. Sales associates do not recieve any vacation and have limited opportunities for advancement since the company often hire for a position before promoting.
Pros
get to meet a lot of different people, challenging work opportunities, fun place to work
Cons
low wage and no real benifits unless you are upper management
Optimum Media Direction Inc. (OMD) is one of the world’s foremost media communications specialists. The project was about developing web applications
Net Developer (Current Employee) –  NYJuly 23, 2014
Designed and Implemented User Interface Layer using ASP.Net Web Forms.
Developed User Controls, navigation Menus using ASP.NET.
Extensively used ADO.NET objects such as Data Reader, Dataset and Data Adapter, for consistent access to SQL SERVER 2000 data sources.
Deployed XML Web Services according to the business requirement.
Implementation of client side validations using ASP.NET Validation Controls.
Developed Role based Security to authorize member to a specific role.
Used the ASP.NET Caching features to store frequently used items in the server’s Memory for quick retrieval.
Used sorting and paging features of Data grid for custom reports to enhance User interaction.
Involved in writing Stored Procedures, creating Views in SQL Server 2005.
Used Visual Source Safe for Version controlling.
Unit testing, debugging and problem solving.
My Experience
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Gillette, WYJune 12, 2013
I truly enjoy having a close relationship with my usual customers. "I would rather have a customer a thousand times, than a thousand customers one time," Bill Krause once stated. This is so true in my line of work and customer service everywhere. I have a passion for people and helping others. I have learned how to read people and what they want or crave out of products or life. The hardest part of the job is when you may get a complaint and have to coach associates to better their customer service or stay above the line. My favorite part of my job is that I love people. I love having that connection with others and seeing their smiles when I say hello. I have been there for customers through their ups and downs.
Pros
health benefits, christmas club, 401k
Cons
long hours, short breaks, travel compensation
Good atmosphere though mangement lacking.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, IAApril 16, 2014
It was a great place to work and was overall an easy job. The pay was minimum wage and with a family to support, it wasn't ideal. Mangement lacked some serious motivation. Our manager was brought in from another store (out of state) and she just didn't take the time to get to know her employees, didn't set the best example for the younger and newer employees, would often avoid guests, and the skills and normal expectations of a manager I had always assumed came with the job and title, she lacked completely. Her heart wasn't in it and it showed.
Pros
fun to joke around with co-workers (in appropriate manors), got to know the more common customers, never the same night.
Cons
mangement didn't lead by example and made herself unreachable.
LOVE MY COMPANY!!
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 8, 2015
Come and Go is all about people who work hard, love a challenge and want to succeed!! They set us up for success daily!! I would have to be offered a lot to leave my company! Typical work day is super fast paced energizing people so they can have a great day. I became a general manager in nine months and the bonuses are great. The hardest part of being a general manager is having to say goodbye to a team member, and the reason is because they have been promoted. I have trained a general manager and a current gmt. I am now training the next gmt. I love the people they make my day great and I love when they say great you knew just what I needed. Watching their kids grow and go thru life is a great time too. If you are a hard worker want to succeed then come to COME AND GO !!
Pros
people
Cons
being on call
kept you busy liked talking to the customers that came in
Sales/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pryor, OKNovember 23, 2013
Typical day would be make coffee, tea, change out the soda machines, clean and wait on customers by answering their questions
or checking out their items.
Take money for money orders, gas, lotto, groceries. Once in awhile
the truck would come in and would have to check off inventory.
Management was great really liked them had good co-workers
Hardest part of the job was the stocking of the coolers and lot of heavy lifting.
Most enjoyable part of the job was the people
Pros
once in awhile would get to take home milk and snacks that was fixing to go out of date
Cons
no breaks standing for 10 hrs 4 days a wk
Straight forward and not difficult.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDApril 1, 2013
I would always work night shift when I worked at this place and I'm not going to lie and say I never got worn out but the work was pretty straight forward and I knew what duties needed to be done every night. Nothing vague like some work places where they get mad at you for duties you didn't do that they never fully explained or mentioned. Management was personal and respectful as well and didn't act like their employee's didn't have personal lives.

I would work here again if I was ever offered a job again.
Pros
free fountain drinks, steady schedule and hours, not bureaucratic.
Cons
stocking drinks was probably the only thing that was the most challenging some nights.
OK place to work if you don't mind working holidays
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pryor, OKJune 12, 2012
Not exactly a horrible place to work, but I worked there for 3 years and my pay only went up 50 cents. I never had a weekend off because I was told that I was the only one that could handle the weekend crowd. The 2 worst things about the job was that the store never closed so you had to be there every holiday and that you are constantly watched and listened to by corporate because of a microphone and camera directly in front of the registers. The best part about the job was the people I worked with. I loved my coworkers and always looked forward to the times when I actually got to work with one of them instead of being alone.
Straightforward work and great coworkers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJuly 2, 2014
Our daily duties consisted of stocking products, cleaning the store, and serving customers. In my time working here, I learned how to deal with customers, how to handle money, and how to manage a store by myself. My direct supervisor was the best "boss" I've had to this day. The same goes for him as it does for my coworkers. We all became friends working with each other, and had fun every day. The hardest part of the job was dealing with upset or impatient customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was being with coworkers and regular customers that I had become friends with.
Pros
fun work environment, simple work, and flexible hours
Cons
extremely busy in single coverage, dealing with unhappy or impatient customers
Convenience Store with daily challenges
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Boone, IAApril 23, 2013
Handles cash/credit transactions through out the work day. During periods of down time, complete daily task lists to maintain acceptable levels within the work place.
Learned various managerial skills (time cards, pay roll, inventory management).
Management was easy to communicate with.
Co-workers were generally disinterested in working and required constant overseeing and motivation.
Contending with the inconsistencies of non-interested employees.
Most enjoyable part of the job was the challenge of completing daily tasks and coming up with more efficient ways to perform daily work.
Pros
free refills
Cons
no breaks
busy with all types of customers
Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARNovember 2, 2015
Managers roll up there sleeves and work like everyone else. It stays pretty busy and time goes by fast. There is a lot to do to keep everything looking good and taking care of the customers at the same time. Its fun to watch co-workers learn and always fun to learn new things from them. Its all about learning to work as a team and if you do that it all falls in to place. The company is always changing things to make it better and you have room for advancement.
Pros
meeting lots of people
Cons
no place to take a break..no break room
Work too many hours and horrible company
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Bono, ARFebruary 4, 2013
Work with customers and keep store clean. I learned how to interact with the public. As a cashier you never get vacation days and are expected to be on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week no holidays off. They will work you until you literally can not work anymore. I liked some of my co workers but they come and go so fast you can't even keep up with them. Overall under payed and disrespected.
Pros
meeting really nice people
Cons
no break, no family time, no life
Work was fun, everyone got along with everyone.
Customer Service, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJune 12, 2014
Working at the gas station was fun and fast Paced.
You keep the store clean and ring up customers, with the occasional up sale on products.
I learned how to better my customer service skills and how to do a lot of business paperwork.
Management and Co-workers all got along. We were all professional, but at the same time grew close like a family.
The job did not have nay hard parts, but the best part of the job was helping customers and always having something to do.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no benefits
Loved working here
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Oskaloosa, IAAugust 20, 2013
I would put away stock, clean shelves, run register. I learned that i had what it takes to become management, and that i can do what alot of people dont think i can. Management was awesome never had a problem with my manager. Co workers did what they needed to do and went above and beyond to make that a great place to work. Hardest part of my job was firing people. Most enjoyable was Meeting and greating all the customers that came in during the day/night.
Pros
great management, free foob/drinks
Cons
short breaks
No life
Sales manager (Former Employee) –  SpringfieldMarch 5, 2013
I found this to be a good place to work for about the first year. I was promoted quite quick and got a few raises. However, in my over three years working with them I can tell you that you will have no quality home time. Expect to work award hours without a break. Raises will come small and very far apart. The turnover ratio is quite ridiculous for many of these reasons. I did make many new friends though and the people who come can be fun.
Pros
flexible
Cons
everything else