Kumon Learning Center

Kumon Learning Center Employer Reviews

Summery
volunteer (Former Employee), JacksonJune 21, 2014
Pros: very rewarding helping students.
Cons: no money compensation.
Tutoring, managing student activity, correcting student work, assisting owner.
Awesome, Fun, Learning Center!
Tutor (Former Employee), Fairview Heights, ILJune 16, 2014
I tutored students in math and reading, Grades pre-k thru 12th grade. Tutoring there was awesome, seeing the students grow in the education made me so happy. The hardest part of my job, there wasn't one. I enjoyed every moment, every student, and every learning experience with them. My co-workers enjoyed the job also which made it a very fun work place.
Fun if you like kids
Tutoring Assistant/ Grader (Former Employee), Austin, TXMay 1, 2014
Pros: short shifts
Cons: no benefits or advancement
Pay is minimal and it's only a side job to earn a little extra gas money
Fun place to work
Teacher/Grader (Former Employee), Fullerton, CAMarch 24, 2014
Pros: co-workers were around the same age
Cons: could not work m-f only m-w.
- teach K-12th grade students reading and math
- learned patience and that students learn at different paces
Great place to interact with children. and help them with thier acadeimc needs.
Personal Academic Tutor (Former Employee), Anaheim, CAMarch 6, 2014
a typical day at kumon would be finding help for students and their needs.

most enjoyable part would be seeing a student understand a problem after you helped them out.
Great to work with kids
Grader & Tutor (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 17, 2014
It is so fun to work with kids.
Teaching the junior kids and grading makes the kids learn more.
Great work environment with organized and caring management.
Tutor (Current Employee), Columbia, MDJanuary 15, 2014
Friendly group of Co-workers.
The major issue with this position is that it doesn't offer enough hours and has no advancement opportunities. A great place to work at for a first job position but you must move on from it.
Challenging work
Tutor (Former Employee), Rockford, ILJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: good pay, enjoyable work
Cons: not many work hours, not understanding supervisors
My day would consist of grading packets, guiding students through reading and math activities, and supplying one-on-one attention to students when needed.

Some of my coworkers made me feel uncomfortable with comments made towards me.
Tutoring center
Instructor (Former Employee), Sunnyvale, CADecember 16, 2013
Learned to tutor many kids at once.
Grade papers and correct them.
Deal with clients.
Enjoyable
Teacher/ Mentor (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 22, 2013
Pros: working with the kids
Cons: salary
I enjoyed working with the children and helping them to advance their spirit to want to learn. We worked with various age groups and I enjoyed it and the fact of helping the children and the respect I got working with them.
Well-organized workplace
Tutor (Former Employee), South Plainfield, NJOctober 7, 2013
Pros: friendly management, flexible hours
Cons: work is sometimes dull
Solid part-time job for high school students. Management was genial and understanding. I enjoyed working with the students and helping them learn and grow intellectually.
Fast pace, efficient work place.
Tutor in English and Language Art, and Mathematics (Current Employee), San Francisco, CASeptember 25, 2013
Pros: good working environment and rewarding job tutoring kids
Cons: only part time and lacked hours
The three main jobs at Kumon are check-in, tutoring, grading, and assessment. A worker checks in the student and gives them the appropriate folders to work with. The student then sits down and does their assigned classwork with three tutors watching the students complete their work and answer questions. Upon completion of the work, the students turn – more... in the work to the graders and correct any mistakes if needed. Once the classwork has been graded and corrected, the students go to an oral assessment table, where a tutor will ask them questions and the student has to answer them allow. Each student should take about 30 minutes to complete the process.

What I have learned thus far, and is certainty the hardest part of the job is to be a fast and efficient worker. As a grader, I have to be fast at grading their assignments because the graders are often where students bottleneck and wait for the work to be graded. In order to keep the flow of the work area, graders have to be quick about their jobs.

The most enjoyable part of the job, but also challenging, is being the tutor for the kids while they are doing the classwork. This is the time where I get to engage the students and really help them. The challege can often be the students being unmotivated, talktive, and lack focus while they do their job, therefore I have make sure they do stay on task, but at the same time, when they are happy that they were able to get the correct answer then that is that most enjoyable for both me and the students. – less
Very fast paced, but extremely repetitive job
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Wesley Chapel, FLAugust 31, 2013
Pros: easy job
Cons: no breaks, 4-5 hour shifts 4 days a week, very dull
The job is very easy, but they expect you to do it at a very fast pace. It will leave your back sore and leave you mentally exhausted after a mere 3 hours.
Fulfilling work tutoring and helping kids to succeed
Tutor (Former Employee), Glenview, ILAugust 22, 2013
Pros: customizable hours, not very stressful, worked with very little supervision
Cons: not many hours, only worked 2 days a week
On a typical day at work, I drove to the customer's residence with all of the homework the kids needed for that day and the rest of the week. Then I supervised the kids while they worked and checked previous homework to ensure the work wasn't too hard or too easy. At the end of the week, I collected all of the homework and entered the grades into a – more... grading program. Sometimes, I would have to replan the workload and pick up more homework from the center.

I learned to be patient and, more importantly, find a solution when things didn't go according to plan (which happened quite frequently because I worked alone and didn't have access to company resources while working). I only met with my co-workers on occasion when I went to the center. During these times, there was little interaction between us because we didn't want to disturb the kids that were working. For the most part however, I would say we got along well since we were pretty much all high schoolers.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with the kids when they didn't want to do their work. I frequently had to give away answers to problems in order for them to continue working. On the other hand, the most enjoyable part of the job was when they seemed to actually enjoy doing the work because it made it seem like I was actually making a difference. – less
Kid friendly and great enviroment
grader/teacher (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 25, 2013
I enjoyed my time working here. I loved assisting the children and helping them with reading and their math.
Insipid and boring
Assistant (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAJune 19, 2013
A typical day at work includes grading papers, assisting children with math and reading, updating a database, and keeping an organized workplace. Though the job was not difficult, management at Kumon Learning Center was unreasonable and lacked rigid discipline in training its employees. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with children.
Easy Part-time job
Assistant (Former Employee), Grayson, GAMay 19, 2013
It's a great part time job for students in high school and college.
Great place to work at if you love kids.
Tutor (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 29, 2013
Pros: you dont have to sign out for lunch break, and the managers are very laid back.
Cons: it gets very slow sometimes, and it can get boring.
The staff is very welcoming, and nice. The environment is very diverse and quiet.
Okay place
Tutor (Former Employee), Plano, TXApril 29, 2013
If you are 16 years old and trying to start work, being a Tutor at Kumon is not a bad place to start. You will work anywhere between 9-12 hours a week and it pays a little above minimum wage. Management is very hesitant to give anyone a raise. It is not a bad place to start, just not a place to spend over a year in.
Decent Job
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), San Ramon, CAApril 19, 2013
Pros: simple work, decent hours
Cons: understaffed, simple work but a large amount of it, difficult manager.
Understaffed due to lack of hires and high turnover rate of hires. On average we service 350 people a day, many of which ask for homework to be changed which takes times. Overall a decent job with simple, reasonable work, but understaffed.

1 2 3