Kumon Employee Reviews in United States

Classroom Instructor/Receptionist
Classroom Instructor/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Parsippany, NJJuly 23, 2016
• Tutored and assisted children in math and reading while analyzing their academic progress
• Coordinated with a team to prepare and grade over 500 students classwork and homework
• Communicated with parents to resolve children conflicts and maintain an organized, well equipped office
• Attended phone calls, handled payments and conducted orientation for new comers
Has a quiet environment that isn't chaotic, but the job itself can be confusing and boring.
Reading Grader (Current Employee) –  Shoreline, WAJuly 22, 2016
What I do when I work usually is grade the students reading assignments and sometimes do organizational tasks. The job helped me be more organized but it got very boring after a while and also the directions given to me on what to do weren't very clear. Since we are supposed to be very quiet I don't interact much with my co-workers. The hardest part of the job is when I am grading something and I'm not sure whether answer is right or wrong because of the student's handwriting. What I liked about this job is the students there are polite and I get to help them learn sometimes.
Pros
helping students learn, not a chaotic environment
Cons
strict rules, stressful
NIce working environment with comfy chairs to sit at when grading papers.
Grader/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Princeton Junction, NJJuly 22, 2016
I worked about 3 hours a day for 2 days a week. I spent my time grading papers and helping younger students with both math and reading. Hardest part of the job was when there were many students that needed their papers graded. Made me feel overwhelmed, but because we had 4-5 other employees, we evenly distributed the work. Overall, it was a nice place to work at.
Pros
Get to sit down
Cons
Overload of papers, need to be fast
It was enjoyable because I had wonderful kids to teach
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 12, 2016
Working there was good. The staff was nice. The children that I would tutor were well behaved. The manager was friendly and very professional.
Pros
only 4 hours a day
Cons
only twice a week
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  New City, NYJuly 7, 2016
A typical day in Kumon would be inputting student grades in the database, and organizing files and homework assignments to monitor their progress.
Productive and friendly work environment
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXJuly 5, 2016
My time at Kumon made me understand the important of time management and how crucial it is to be on-time. Not only that, but I learned the importance of building strong relationships with your co-workers and how it can help the whole system work together better as a whole. In addition, I found how unbelievably important it is to be patient with the customers you interact with.
Pros
Friendly workplace and environment
Cons
Not the best hours
Friendly head teacher
ASSISTANT TEACHER (Former Employee) –  MalaysiaJuly 2, 2016
Enjoyed my time teaching kids of all ages and race. It was a good experience in life. Head teacher was pleasant, accommodating and kind.
cashier
Tutor (Former Employee) –  La Habra, CAJune 29, 2016
Providing customer service and managing cash register.
Maintaining the store and keep the surroundings clean. Respect the customers by greeting them politely.
Flexible schedule and a great environment to work in.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJune 28, 2016
Kumon is an amazing institution to put students in to help then succeed in their academics. The teachers love working with the kids and will help them at no costs. The managers work well with student teachers schedules which encourages them to do better at their jobs!
Fun days filled with learning
Assistant Tutor (Former Employee) –  Levittown, NYJune 28, 2016
Kumon was certainly a very comfortable job. Every day consisted of waiting for students to arrive and grading their classwork and homework. When a student was having trouble, sitting next to them and personally helping them on their work was the next step. The most enjoyable part of this job was socializing with the students and encouraging them to continue trying to learn the math and reading skills that are much harder than what is expected of them in school. This job involved a lot of team work because there are several moments when the bin of papers needed to be graded is over filled. This job taught me to socialize with children and to make learning as fun as possible for them by always expressing a positive attitude when it came to math and reading and by showing a lot of concern in their helping the students learn.
Pros
Sitting down most the day.
Cons
A lot of grading.
Great job
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 26, 2016
you will build leadership and relationship with students. great place to improve the students learning. you grades the kids work. for early learnings you have to teach them
Very good for someone in school
Primary Instructor and Grader (Former Employee) –  Goodyear, AZ 85395June 20, 2016
Kumon was a good job for someone who goes to school during the day and has free time at night. Especially since the job is only three times a week, it fits into most schedules. However, one downside is that because they are only open so often, you can work max 12 hours a week, unless you are in management.
Pros
convenient hours, not difficult
Cons
minimum wage, low hours
Fulfilling but not substantial
Assisant/Tutor (Current Employee) –  Ellicott City, MDJune 19, 2016
Typically you can expect to be doing the same task for however long your shift is - graders grade, people working with little kids supervise them, front desk people greet people and help with whatever problems that they have - with little variation. Shifts typically don't go past four and half hours, so it's not too bad. Out boss provides food and water, which I understand might be a common practice, so you're not in danger of going hungry or thirsty.

What I learned from the job is how to focus on helping rather than being liked. A lot of people will take the job without understanding that it's not about being friends with the kids, but rather letting them complete things on their own. Personally it has helped me become a more empathetic person, and focus less on being the guy who knows everything and more the guy who can help others know things.

Management at my particular center is excellent. Our boss is dedicated to helping kids achieve, and a very pleasant lady. I've heard stories of worse, though, so you have the gauge that for yourself.

Co-workers are typically in the high school and college age range, with very few exceptions. Some centers I've heard have cliques, though mine doesn't. It's a group that gets along very well, and generally a pleasure to work with.

Hardest part about the job would have to be the grading. It is by far the most repetitive aspect of the job.

The most enjoyable part of the job is, hands down, the interaction with children. I've had a lot of bad days made good by being there, and knowing that you're helping little people better
  more... themselves & and make themselves feel good about their academic skills is rewarding in its own right.  less
Pros
Working with kids is fulfilling
Cons
Not a viable career path, occasional irreverence for the job by other employees
I assisted instructor in Kumon math and reading center.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJune 18, 2016
I taught many students in Kumon math and reading center. I checked students' homework. I had a great time with students.
fun work place
Tutor and Mentor (Current Employee) –  Harleysville, PAJune 11, 2016
I help students become focused, motivated and self-reliant. We monitor each student's progress to ensure comprehension before moving on to a new concept.
Fun environment, can be stressful
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Hamden, CTJune 8, 2016
A lot of turn around in the center with both employees and children. There is not much follow up with compliance. Working with the children is a very rewarding experience and the staff all seem to have fun doing it together.
Fun interactive learning
Grader (Former Employee) –  Marlton, NJJune 7, 2016
Kumon was a fun place to work, but since it was a tutoring program there was not a lot of hours given. I did gain a lot of experience interacting with the students and teaching them what they needed to learn and with parents and helping them understand their child's difficulties. Most of the job's work including grading and helping students.
Pros
interactive experience
Cons
not a lot of hours
Easy-going workplace with practicable tasks
Math and reading instructor (Former Employee) –  Flower Mound, TXJune 6, 2016
Working at Kumon was very doable in tandem with attending school throughout the day as the hours were as such. A typical day consisted of signing in, either sitting with a child waiting for an instructor or grading assignments if all students were being worked with. Depending on the age of the child, monitoring their reading and/or math work could take anywhere from ten to forty minutes. Through this job, I learned that acquiring patience is a must whether it is working with children, fellow peers, or elders. It is also important to maintain a good work-ethic and positive attitude towards the tasks at hand. The manager was great and very helpful towards employees as well as customers. I enjoyed working with my co-workers who were also quite helpful and helped guide one another. The most difficult aspect of the job was dealing with the tense environment once every two weeks when the owner of the Kumon would visit as they were quite particularly and scrutinizing towards each employee. They were also quite open about their dissatisfaction in front of the children and customers, which required extreme professionalism to avoid exacerbation of uncomfortable situations. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the kids and getting to know them and their personalities individually.
Pros
working with kids, convenient hours
Cons
little opportunities to progress in position and salary
Poor pay autocratic rigid philosophy
early learning assistant (Former Employee) –  Ft. Myers Villas, FLJune 6, 2016
The system/philosophy of Kumon does not take individuality into account and assumes all children can be "trained" to follow protocol of completing worksheets in a set amount of time. Though the children were enjoyable to work with, the management in my particular center, was not open to suggestions about individual students and not interested in any different approaches. With a Master's degree and decades of teaching experience, I was paid just a little over minimum wage.
Pros
some flexibility in scheduling, interaction with children
Cons
rigid system, no chance for individuality, very low pay
Friendly and at times fast paced.
Tutor/Grader (Former Employee) –  Addison, IL 60101June 4, 2016
It was a great place to work at with friendly and good people who would almost always get along with each other. Had great hours, wished i could have stayed longer but it was a great experience/first job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kumon. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2