Kumon Employee Reviews

Short Hours
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Stockbridge, GADecember 17, 2016
I'd recommend this job to someone young like around 14-15 who just needs a little experience to give them a boost before they turn 16 to get a real job. The hours are short which makes the checks very small. It's reasonable though, considering the responsibilities. The atmosphere is child-friendly (obviously) and everything is basically straight to the point. There was a point where everyone felt like family before the co-workers were starting to be treated like the children as well. Overall it isn't a bad job and it's a nice experience with children.
Efficient and effective place to help children learn
Early Learner Assistant/Grader (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 4, 2017
A typical day at Kumon is very organized and professional. The kids all come in at there own time, and get right to work. It has a "library" environment where everyone talks in whisper. They are very understand and have flexible hours. Everyone there is friendly and create a warm sense of community. The hardest part of this job would be having to grade up to 8 students work while also being as quick as possible. It can feel overwhelming and like a lot of work at times.
helping each and every child
Assistant Teacher/tutor (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 5, 2017
A typical day at work would be waiting for kids to come in and I would have to spend 30 minutes with each student. The 30 minutes would include helping them with their classwork, reviewing homework, going over alphabets/alphabet sounds/numbers. I worked with the youngest group of kids, so the hardest part would be getting them to remember alphabets/sounds/numbers because little kids easily forget. The most enjoyable part of my job would be noticing a child improved because of a technique that I used.
Pros
No standing, short shifts, set scheduled days
Cons
No break, repetitiveness
Busy and under-appreciated
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAJanuary 9, 2017
I felt under-appreciated. The head of my particular center did not talk to the employees unless she needed something done. Did not pay for our training so employees had to work without pay anywhere between 2 to 6 weeks. She claimed we were getting a raise when in actuality the minimum wage increased in the city. She was legally required to increase our salaries, therefore it was not a raise. Coworkers were great - mostly high school and college students.
Helping students
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  SF,CAOctober 15, 2016
A typical day at work would be grading classwork and homework done by the students. What I've learned is to make judgement calls to whether the student is right or wrong and give hints for them to figure it out instead of giving a straight answer. My coworkers were alright, no one really seemed motivated by the amount of work we had but my mentality was to always tackle it no matter how much work there is. The hardest part of the job is when students still can't figure out solutions. The most enjoyable part is when students finally figure out what they do wrong and correct it.
Pros
Working with Childen
Cons
Peaks hours: non stop fast paced
i loved Kumon Learning Center
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Fairview Heights, ILSeptember 24, 2016
I absolutely loved working at Kumon. It was a joy to be able to teach students and to help improve their learning skills in math and reading. I opened the learning center and closed. I arranged the learning lesson for the students and input their grades into the system. I helped with the graduation ceremonies of the students who completed levels in either math and reading. My manager was great, so peaceful and kid friendly.
Pros
Working with students and being able to help them learn
Extremely Friendly Working Enviroment
Senior Secretary and Center Instructor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 19, 2016
Overall, Kumon is a great program. Your work experiences will be different depending on which center you are working for. It is a franchise and share the same method/standard but the way that each Kumon owner treat you may be varies.
Pros
Good for high school or college student to work part time.
Cons
Less than 10 hours a week.
Fun place to work temporarily or as a side job
Head Teacher K-12 & Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  North White Plains, NYSeptember 14, 2016
Kumon is an ok place to work for a while but there is not much advancement. The raises are only 25-50 cents every 2-3 months. This is a great first job for kids in or out of high school, or people looking for a little side money. But it's definitely not a stable job for reliable income. It was a fun experience to meet people and get tutoring experience for personal tutoring.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No breaks, no benefits, low pay
Flexible and enjoyable workplace
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CADecember 19, 2016
I greatly enjoyed my time working at Kumon at The Marketplace in Tustin, CA. My boss was very friendly and accommodating to my school schedule and the co-workers were all amicable
Pros
working with youth, making a positive impact in the lives of kids
Cons
Sitting for long periods of time, not enough hours
Worked there as a kid
Learning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corona, CADecember 31, 2016
Great starter job. Low pay, and little room for advancement. Provides play money or starter for savings. Great concept to teach alternative learning style to help kids be at a greater comprehension and skill level to public school system equivalent grade level reading and math curriculum.
Productive and Enjoyable Place to Work At
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLOctober 28, 2016
A typical day at work was working with children. Every half hour children came to either work on math, reading, or both. I sat with children, watched and helped them if they needed any while they were working on their classwork. I graded homework, then read books to children, have them trace, and help them say words/count numbers. I learned how to be patient with children as every child is different. Some are very easy to handle while others are very adamant. It was not hard to manage but yes there were some days where things got quite hectic. The overall environment of the job was very nice, the coworkers were very helpful, jolly, and nice. The job was not hard, but I think sometimes the hardest part was to handle children who would not listen, give attitude, and throw tantrums. However, the most enjoyable part of the job was working with some great children, connecting with them and getting to know them.
Great Company
Business Consultant and Area Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 27, 2016
Have thoroughly enjoyed every day since joining Kumon. Very limited stress and the company is truly focused on ensuring the well being of the customer instead of only on the bottom line.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Lack of advancement opportunities
Basic Tutoring Job
Head Tutor (Former Employee) –  Jamesburg, NJNovember 28, 2016
A typical day at work was mostly grading work packets, working one on one with students to tutor them, putting together work packets based on student's progress and advancement, and entering/organizing test scores on Excel.
Cons
Always ended up having to work overtime
Very Productive if you have a passion for children
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLNovember 14, 2016
Kumon is a very enjoyable job if you have a passion for kids. It is a very diverse place to work as well. I learned many things about children and the their learning capabilities.
Pros
kids were excellent
Cons
short breaks & bathroom breaks
Fun environment
Mathematics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 3, 2017
Everyone was really nice and friendly. We felt like a family at Kumon. We bonded with the students and got to know everyone really well. Everything was well organized.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Sometimes there was a lot of students, resulting in stressful workloads
Challenging, engaging, and rewarding
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 29, 2016
Joining Kumon as a tutor has been one of the best decisions of my life. I always feared not being able to pursue my love of teaching once I started a career geared toward research, but Kumon allows me to indulge that love. It really warms my heart to see a student's face when they understand a new concept. I believe that the Kumon method is successful in creating well-rounded, creative, and conscientious children. I learn more about myself as a teacher and what life is like for children of all personality types and socio-economic backgrounds. Kumon is always challenging me to be on my toes and have a great customer service attitude. Some days are more difficult than others, but I love the environment and how engaged and attentive the teachers always are with the students and their parents.
Pros
Making a difference every day, relaxed work environment, flexible hours
Cons
Monthly paycheck, only part-time
NIce working environment with comfy chairs to sit at when grading papers.
Grader/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Princeton Junction, NJJuly 22, 2016
I worked about 3 hours a day for 2 days a week. I spent my time grading papers and helping younger students with both math and reading. Hardest part of the job was when there were many students that needed their papers graded. Made me feel overwhelmed, but because we had 4-5 other employees, we evenly distributed the work. Overall, it was a nice place to work at.
Pros
Get to sit down
Cons
Overload of papers, need to be fast
Has a quiet environment that isn't chaotic, but the job itself can be confusing and boring.
Reading Grader (Current Employee) –  Shoreline, WAJuly 22, 2016
What I do when I work usually is grade the students reading assignments and sometimes do organizational tasks. The job helped me be more organized but it got very boring after a while and also the directions given to me on what to do weren't very clear. Since we are supposed to be very quiet I don't interact much with my co-workers. The hardest part of the job is when I am grading something and I'm not sure whether answer is right or wrong because of the student's handwriting. What I liked about this job is the students there are polite and I get to help them learn sometimes.
Pros
helping students learn, not a chaotic environment
Cons
strict rules, stressful
Excellent Environment with limits
Data Entry and Tutor (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAOctober 5, 2016
Everything is great and straight forward. Operations include but are not limited to filing, tutoring, and data entry. Community is usually nice. The only negativity is there is no room for advancement or increase in pay.
Pros
Flexible Schdule
Cons
No Room for Advancment
Great experience working for the instructor
Academic Director (Current Employee) –  Rowland Heights, CADecember 15, 2016
This is specific to Rowland Heights, Kumon. I learned immensely from the instructor. Compensation for going above and beyond, multi-tasking and making adjustments to student's work is most challenging during class time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kumon. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2