Kwik Trip Employee Reviews

Fun and always a chance to advance
GUEST SERVICE & FOOD SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, WIFebruary 22, 2018
It is a very fast pace environment. some days get very busy and stressful but overall i would recommend to work here. Friendly staff, good benefits, and overall a good time
Pros
wellness fruit, free car washes
Cons
short breaks
Awesome employer as long as you apply yourself
Guest Services Co-Worker (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIFebruary 22, 2018
They will be like a second family and second home to you. You must be really self-motivated and have good time management skills to succeed. You must have a good heart, compassion for others and a superior work ethic in order to qualify for a job there. Make sure you have good references as well. The interview process is also long but they will give you a free cup of coffee. Overall, if you have the right attitude and want to do well then they will help you.
Pros
Free coffee and soda, awesome co-workers and leadership, communication center is always available if you need help
Cons
only one 10 minute break per every 4 hours
Don't work for Kwik Trip.
Retail Worker (Current Employee) –  Onalaska, WIFebruary 22, 2018
I don't even know where to start. The job sucks you in with it's family friendly atmosphere, health benefits, and gigantic year end bonus check. It may seem all right at first, but it only gets worse everyday. This review is mostly my complaints of working in the stores of the company, not the offices or other jobs available in Kwik Trip.

The main problem I have with Kwik Trip is the customers. They are some of the worst people I have ever encountered. It's because of them I went from a happy go-lucky optimist to a cynical angry pessimist. They will treat you like garbage because you are not allowed to fight back, even when they are in the wrong.

Second problem I have is the drama between coworkers. First shift and Second shift are always at each others throats, barking that the other shift is not doing enough. Some coworkers do generally work hard, but others just sit around and do nothing because they're just here for the money. It's hard to fire these employees because of the threat of being sued.

Lastly, I have a problem with the higher ups in the company. TO CLARIFY, I do not have a problem with the founder of Kwik Trip but with the people who work below him, those who didn't work hard to get the company where it is today. These people make a lot of poor hasty decisions that greatly effect the people who work in the stores. They force the district leaders to have a minimal amount of people running the stores on weekends when the weekend is the busiest time of the week. They cut a lot of corners to save money by having us use cheap equipment and tools that are barely
  more... functional. They talk about how there is a decrease in our bonuses this year only to announce that we're getting blu-tooth speakers as our christmas gift. Maybe I don't want a speaker? Maybe I just want the money I earned?

To me it feels like they have the Year End Bonus, Health Benefits, Paid Time off, and 401k to keep us from leaving. To keep us from realizing that this job isn't worth it.

That is why I don't want to work for Kwik Trip. Do you?
Pros
Free Refills, Health Benefits, Year End Bonus, and 401k
Cons
Everything else.
fun
Cook (Former Employee) –  Barron, WIFebruary 21, 2018
I loved my job here and im really sad that i had to leave. i was treated very well. managers were like family to me. they had the utmost respect for the workers
ok for a short time
Guest Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNFebruary 20, 2018
An ok place for a short time if you are willing to swallow their revisionist history narrative. Managers work 50+ hours on small salary. The benefits are nonexistent. Health plan is a joke, its a very expensive cobra plan with huge deductibles. A good job for high school and college students and people needed a second part-time job.
Pros
Decent starting pay
Cons
Cult mentality, brainwashing, nepotism
Positive and supportive work environment
Guest Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Cloquet, MNFebruary 19, 2018
As a part time worker I did not have a consistent work schedule, full time staff and single parents are given first priority in consistent hours and scheduling which is awesome.

My co-workers and supervisors are upbeat, communicate effectively, and we act like a family. Never be afraid to ask questions everyone is very helpful and I suggest communicating in advance your time off.

If you have a chronic pain condition I highly encourage you to tell them this upfront in your interview so they can work with you.
Pros
Positive, great communication, team work
Cons
My health can make work difficult at times
Decent pay but too much work and bad management
Guest Service Co-Worker (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIFebruary 17, 2018
Management has very high expectations, but only for certain shifts/employees. All of my shifts are either 9 or 10 hour shifts, which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that sometimes I am scheduled for 6-7 days in a row. This can end up being 60-70 hours of work in a week without any overtime pay because it goes through the weekend and counts as two separate weeks because their pay week ends on Friday. Management also frequently talks behind employees' backs and complains about everyone without actually addressing the problems or taking any input on how to solve them.

They will tell you everyone is required to work multiple weekends per month but then management will only work a weekend every now and then. Same goes for all holidays; you should expect to work most/all of them.

The pay is decent for my shift (3rd shift) but i'm so busy with tasks and customers that I literally don't have time to take the two breaks per shift I am supposed to get. Sitting down for any length of time is frowned upon so expect to spend your entire shift standing/walking.

Their are never enough employees in the store to compensate for the amount of work they expect to be done. Third shift is just two employees (one in the kitchen and one out front), but both have their own list of duties to get done before first shift gets in and both lists are pretty lengthy; actually overwhelming on busy nights as the kitchen person will have to cook a lot and the front-end person will be checking out customers all night. Busy nights are actually a nightmare for us as we're still expected to
  more... get all of our tasks done on time.

Compensation is pretty decent, but not really worth the amount of work required and stress involved. The year-end bonus is nice but only really amounts to an extra $0.75/hour and if you quit before you receive it you get none of it, so many employees will quit in the couple months following this.

Overall I'd say this would be a decent job if management made some real changes and had an extra employee help out on each shift, if only for a few hours to catch up on tasks. Without these changes, I would definitely not recommend working third shift here. First and second shift aren't quite as bad but they pay less and there is much more customer service involved.
Pros
Year-end bonus, decent pay
Cons
Everything else
Fast Paced
Co worker (Current Employee) –  Denver, IAFebruary 16, 2018
Fast paced work enviornment with decent management. Lost of chores and expectatiojns are pinned on you in a short amount of completion time. Pay is decent.
Retail
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mineral Point, WIFebruary 12, 2018
Work to hard for what they pay. The place in Mineral Point WI has to much drama and the employees are always yelling at each other across the counter in front of customers.
Great People, Bad Management
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kaukauna, WIFebruary 9, 2018
Working for the company in the beginning was great. Everybody was helpful and willing to help with any questions you had. The management there began to get worse and would begin to play favorites. Benefits were great and they were flexible on hours. There were many employees that should have been fired because they did not even show up for work. I have seen people work 16 hour days because someone did not come in and they would not even get a thank you. The employees should have been fired but they would never even get talked to. It was frustrating being the previous shift and management would not do anything about it and just expect you to stay their shift, no matter the circumstance.
Benefits
Company that cares!
Assistant Store Leader (Current Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIFebruary 7, 2018
This company says they care about their employees and the MEAN IT! The company shares 40% of it;s annual profits with the coworkers who help earn it which is UNHEARD OF in the industry. The owners and the family are incredibly generous and I genuinely believe that everything they do is with the betterment of this company and it's coworkers in mind.
Pros
Culture, profit sharing, ethical leadership
Cons
Work life balance
Great Company
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  WisconsinFebruary 7, 2018
Kwik Trip is an excellent example of how a company values its employees and allows them the create and add to a culture. Guest interaction and support is at the core of an employees responsibility and KT gives their staff the flexibility to make a difference in their guests lives.
Fast paced
Guest service (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIFebruary 6, 2018
Overall fast paced environment becuase of the nature of the job. While it is easy, having less coworkers really brings a workload down on the remaining. We have to complete a list on top of handling lots of customers. Some days will be slow, but you can stay busy with almost anything. Cleaning, organizing, list, and customers makes the day decently fast although this job is mostly boring for me. Good place to work for college students as my boss works well with my schedule (plus I'm a good worker). If you are lazy, this may not be a good fit as a job.
Pros
Year end bonus, flexible hours, decent pay
Cons
20min break per 8hrs, 10min break less than 8hr shift
A great place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, MNFebruary 6, 2018
I worked here part time as I took classes at the community college. The schedule was excellent for me. It was a fast paced and fun place to work. They really want you to have success. If you want to move up you can.
Pros
Excellent part time job
Cons
You agree to up sell and this really bothers customers
Fun place to work
Shift Worker (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIFebruary 6, 2018
Working there is a relaxed work environment where you can build relationships with each other and the community. The relaxed nature allows you to be yourself
Pros
Chill
Cons
Difficult customers
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Holmen, WIFebruary 5, 2018
They are an amazing company and I very much enjoyed working for them. I worked at that company for three years. My last boss that I worked with at Kwik Trip even drove me to the mechanic when my car died.
Great company to work for, but in store experience kind of sucks
Guest Service Co-Worker (Former Employee) –  Baraboo, WIFebruary 5, 2018
The store I worked at wasn't a great experience. the interview process has a lot of hoops to jump through. I ended up having to interview twice because of the position I applied for. You need to have a good work record, several references, and to pass a pre-employment drug screen. The managers I had to work with weren't very good. They didn't seem to care enough to discipline or help the coworkers that needed it. And they didn't make any effort to cover shifts or work out scheduling issues when needed even though it is their job. We were constantly short staffed and were being hassled about not getting enough done. The day shift always had way more staff, but the majority of job responsibilities fell to the night shift with a third or less of the staffing. So not having the right coworkers can make it very stressful. Expectations were most often too high for the amount of work that one person can do.

You only get two 10 minute breaks for an 8-10 hour shift. No discount on merchandise, but you do get free coffee or soda while at work. Time goes by quickly because it is rare to not have anything to do. There is always something to clean, coffee to make, cooler items to fill, trucks to be unloaded/put away, etc. Interacting with our regular customers was really great and most of my coworkers were hardworking and fun to work with. Pay here is pretty good, but I think it could be better for the amount of work that goes into it. They have flexible scheduling for students and parents and any other restrictions. The company overall is great to work for. They make an effort to keep
  more... all their employees informed about what's going on in the company. And you get an end of the year bonus based on your hours and how long you've been with the company.  less
Pros
Good company, end of year bonus, flexible scheduling, free coffee or soda while working
Cons
Short breaks, poor management, not enough staff for the work, no discount on merch
good place to work but boss picked favorites
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Holmen, WIFebruary 5, 2018
the boss didn't care how hard you worked he had his group of 4 or 5 people that he hired himself and decided that they were going to be getting raising and hours all the time and no one else could it was very unfair.
Pros
good hours clean work enviroment
Cons
sucky Managment
Work hard, fast paced, demanding
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Owatonna, MNFebruary 5, 2018
Very stressful job. Hardly ever enough help on duty. Co workers call in sick alot. Schedule more help to get the job done and to cover sick call ins. Increase pay and raises.
Pros
Free soda
Cons
Low pay and hard work
Fun environment
Team Service Member (Former Employee) –  Menasha, WIFebruary 5, 2018
Was a great place to work. Loved it until a new manager came. Never had any time for my kids anymore. The co workers were amazing, and always fun to be around.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kwik Trip. Our community is ready to answer.