L&W Group

L&W Group Employee Reviews

hard work
Quality Tech (Current Employee), Milan, MIMay 6, 2015
Pros: uncertian hours
Cons: short breaks
40 hr not enough at this pay rate, hard work never be late, redundant work, dirty work, little chance for advancement

Employee is the last concern on their mind
productive
Operator (Former Employee), Detroit, MIMay 4, 2015
The best of my job is teaching others how to operate the machines. I also enjoy learning new things and meeting new people.
This is a tier one automotive factory
welder (Former Employee), Blissfield, MIApril 29, 2015
The work there was work. The only time you got any help was when you were behind on your job. Management really didn't have an idea what they wanted to do or there was a different supervisor running the line, the line had to run its self.
productive environment
Operator/Welder (Former Employee), Belleville, MIMarch 14, 2015
Clean place to work. Great team work. People are understand. if you have a problem human resource will take care of it. if you need time off work they give it to you with no problem. if you don't use all of your sick days they roll over to next quarter
Low pay & Long hours
former employee (Former Employee), Milan, MichiganFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: health benefits are decent
Cons: everything else
While I cannot speak for any other L&W facilities, Jaytec- Milan is one of the worst!
While it maybe alright for some one just out of high school. I would not recommend it to anyone with higher education or a great deal of work experience.
If you decide to work here, here's what you can expect: long hours (60-70 hours per week)
Low pay for the work that's required (Average is: $12:00 per hour depending upon which department you work in.
The only positive thing about this place is that they do have decent health benefits here.
So, if you decide to work just keep in mind that they will work you a lot!
One final point to consider: Upper management seems to lack any kind of ethics, they will do whatever it takes to ship product out the door! Good, bad or otherwise...
Production Operator (Current Employee), Milan, MIFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: free lunchs
Cons: short breaks, compensation for the amount of work
-Tough Work
-Coordinators are more worried about parts made instead of safety
-Low compensation
-Good job for high school graduates but for a career
Typical factory work with positives and negatives
Production Operator (Current Employee), Grand Ledge, MIJanuary 18, 2015
This job is all about factory production of automobile parts. You are assigned a certain cell which produces X amount of parts that are to be produced each day. Attendance and timeliness are the most important aspect of this job next to production and quality of work. Management has its positives and its negatives just like any other job. Unfortunately the negatives outweigh the positives altogether. That said, management doesn't make it impossible to work but definitely more stressful. The co-workers here for the most part are accommodating and friendly. The hardest part about this job is dealing with the sometimes overwhelming micro managing that occurs on a daily basis. Other than that this job is quite simple and entry level at its core. The most enjoyable aspect of this job is the coworkers you will make friends with and the occasional opportunities for advancement with the factory/company.
Comfortable work loads and excellent co-workers
Production Operator (Former Employee), Belleville, MIJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: co-workers, benefits/wage
Cons: short breaks
As an operator, the typical work day consisted of counting, stacking, and sorting a variety of parts that were produced by whichever work station you're assigned to. I learned how robotic welders along with stamping presses operate. Most of the supervisors were easy to communicate with and were motivating. Co-workers were good people; hard working, generous, and trustworthy. It might be cliché to say but it really did feel like the work force was a team. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with production at times due to failing or faulty equipment. The most enjoyable part of the job in my opinion was the general work environment, co-workers felt more like friends making it easier to accomplish tasks and keep stress at a minimum. The pay was nice as well.
Fast pace, long hrs, Unprofessional Management
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Blissfield, MIJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: company lunch functions, full vending, clean breakroom
Cons: short breaks, long hrs, disrespectful treatment from cell leaders
Fast paced, which is what I liked.
Management was unorganized, with no skills in organizing efficient work cells. Poor work scheduling / ordering of raw materials, resulting in downtime and forced overtime with no regard to life balance needs.
hardest part of job was dealing with quality inconsistencies by management, constant falsifying of quality test. and your held responsible when management deems fit.
Very productive and a good learning experience.
Production Operator (Former Employee), Belleville, MIDecember 3, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of producing my desired number of parts which was 496 parts a day. Working at L&W was a very good experience dealing with heavy machinery and as well as heavy metal. The management was very understanding yet strict on their objectives of the certain job but overall they made it a very good working environment to be in. The hardest part of my job was when my machine went down and couldn't produce the amount of parts that was desired and I had to stay over.
OK for a 'workaholic'
HEAT TREATMENT OPERATOR (Former Employee), Milan, MIOctober 17, 2014
Pros: plenty of hours for thoes that dont want a life or a family. most co-orkers are pertty nise people
Cons: no lunch (only two 15 minute breaks over 10 hours), lots of mandatory overtime (about 60 hours a week total on average), no 401k for most of my time when it was implenented it had a very poor match, poorly maintained machinery, high difficulty getting repair and safty concerns addressed, very strict attendance policy (family emergancies never taken into consideration), very strict tobacco use policy (that management seems to be exempt from)
A typical day consisted of hand loading material to be run in the line each weighing about 3-5lbs and running about 6000 parts per 10 hour shift. Also perform hourly quality checks on run parts. (I often did a quality check every 15 minutes or so) I learned how to operate a heat treatment line. (Although this was not via ANY official training as I learned from the operator before me) My co-workers were good people to work and talk with although there was a universal dislike of much of the management as well as long hours. Many of the management staff (not all) are more about quantity over quality thus if someone is like me that is more about quality they may have problems with many of the managers. Also most of the machines were in a state of disrepair and literally held together with zipties and other VERY temporary fixes. Only when a problem resulted in a complete shutdown of production did anything get repaired in a timely manner. (not due to the maintenance staffs unwillingness to do so but because management would often not allow them to do so.) As odd as it my seem the most enjoyable part of my job was actually solving and correcting problems that were causing quality issues or issues causing poor production. (EG: Jams, overheating, underheating)
Managerial Turnstile...
Regional IT Manager ( multi-facility ) (Former Employee), Holland, MIOctober 2, 2014
During my time there I went the the changing of:
eight(8) Plant Managers...
eight(8) Engineering Managers...
eight(8) Quality Managers...
eight(8) Purchasing Managers...
eight(8) Materials Managers...
eight(8) Production Managers...
eight(8) Human Resource Managers...
three(3) Controllers..

Corporate would often break their own policies / rules.
Different Day to Day
Production Worker (Current Employee), Blissfield, MISeptember 12, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Co-workers for the most part were easy to get along with. long hours. Management very indecisive.
professional and very safe work enviroment
Welding Engineering Intern (Former Employee), Belleville, MISeptember 7, 2014
Great learning experience, made me ten times better of an engineer.
Horrible and Very Stressful work environment
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Blissfield, MIAugust 25, 2014
Get told a different thing to do every hour; management treats you like an idiot; management is just clueless and unprepared
Promotes growth with in the company.
Machine Operator (Former Employee), MichiganAugust 21, 2014
One thing I really liked about L&W is that they strongly promote growth with in the company. I had worked as a machine operator, a fork lift driver and a CSR.
Horrible place to work.
production (Former Employee), blissfield, miAugust 11, 2014
Pros: co-workers were decent
Cons: management, hr, but most importantly, the pressure to meet numbers instead of taking the time to inspect the parts properly.
This place is a joke. From the management to the HR department. Safety? yeah right. All they care about is the numbers, not the quality or the fact that these parts being produced will end up in a vehicle. I'd flip burgers before ever working for a place like this again.
Productive Work Place And Great Environment
QC (Former Employee), Grand Prairie, TXJuly 29, 2014
HR Is Very Welcoming And Is Just A Great Environment . They Insure Safety Is A Priority . Have Meetings Monthly To Hear The Workers Out .
loved it
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJune 18, 2014
Pros: clean place to work
Cons: got really hot at times
loats of work cool people i had alot of over time non stressed clean
Busy company with a lot of upside.
Tooling Engineer (Current Employee), New Boston, MIMay 3, 2014
Pros: coworkers, management, pay, benefits, job duties, willingness to train, pay for education
Cons: hours, lack of structure due to exponential growth, understaffed
For the most part, I thoroughly enjoy working for L&W. The only issue I personally have with the company are the hours required. I have no problem working hard, but there aren't too many weeks I put in less than 60 hours. 50 is enough. Especially with a family.

The company likes to run lean, but it is bordering on too lean. I feel as though every department within the organization is understaffed and people are overworked, causing a higher turnaround than one would like to see. If one person quits a department (at least at the Tech Center), it causes a ripple affect through the entire department. The people who already have too much to do are now required to take on additional work that the person leaving will be leaving behind.

The last thing I've noticed is the lack of structure. The company has grown exponentially since 2009 and has not yet adjusted to being a large company. Upper management still runs it as though it is a "mom and pop" operation, but I am confident it will get better with time.

1 2 3

About L&W Group

For 40 years, L&W has been a leading Tier I supplier in the automotive industry specializing in Metal Stampings, Welded Assemblies, – Read more

L&W Group Salaries