L&W Group

L&W Group Employee Reviews

Needs restructuring the managment
Electrician (Current Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 25, 2015
Pros: strict attendance.
Cons: more breakes for 9 hours shift rather than one break. more money for afternoon shift.
Good and nice people. However, it could have better handle on culture among employees and maintain the welding equipment. Also the machines could be much cleaner and run smoother if were to get calibrated every so often per manufacturing recommendations.
A very relaxed work environtment.
CNC Bender, Press Operator (Former Employee), Middlebury, INJuly 21, 2015
They have a very relaxed work environment that if you work hard and are persistent you can move up. They train you well and prepare you for what you'll be doing.
It's a job
Material Handler/ Team Leader (Former Employee), Chelsea, MIJuly 16, 2015
Pros: Good health insurance
Cons: Management
If your looking for a job because you need to find one fast this is the place for you. The jobs in the plant are typical auto plant type jobs. The wages aren't bad but as far as raises don't expect anything after you reach the top out after 12 years. There is no cost of living so when you reach the top out your stuck.

As far as the management, this place has the worst management team I've seen in my 26 years of work experience. And if your experience is in shipping /receiving or materials, don't apply for these jobs. This manager is absolutely the worst materials manager I've ever seen. The hardest part of these jobs by far is the horrible management.

The co-workers are awesome! Great people to work with. Even with all the issues with management we all get along and have fun.
Oakland Stamping
Machine Operator (Current Employee), Detroit MiJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Good Benafits
Cons: Bad Management Low Pay Long Hours Unprofessional Management
The environment is a variety of different people and cultures mostly working for a steady pay check the advancement is rare and the job security is just as scary as the job itself the only good thing about my job is the benefits thats all.
Production
production (Current Employee), Blissfield, MIJuly 6, 2015
Pros: Nice work atmosphere
Cons: Bad communication
I loved my Job with L&W the Biggest problem was disorganization , I learned how to run quite a few machines, learned good and bad welds , how to keep my line running fast and producing high quality,high number parts per hour. Management always did their best to keep production going, and machines running. Following though with employees need to run their machines ,or to keep them running, and items needed to do our jobs was lacking in that area, if machines needed repair (putting band aides) on to keep them going for the moment would have made more sense to shut down actually fix the machine rather then shut down numerous times per day per shift losing production. A Normal day for me I would play beat the clock I always had my own goals for the day on trying to make most parts per hour per shift, it seemed like the higher my numbers would go other shifts would follow suit, (competition) . I worked very hard and took pride in my work.
Decent place to work
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Holland, MIJune 27, 2015
Pros: nice people, benefits/ 401K/dental/medical/ vision.
Cons: dirty, unorganized, shop gets too hot on really hot humid days.
L&W is a decent place to work. really dirty labor hard work. Lots of overtime and decent benefits. People are nice. Only thing is they ask too much of you when you know a lot of machines and work hard.
One of the top 2 worst places I've ever worked.
Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee), Grand Ledge,MIJune 25, 2015
The only thing this company cares about is making parts, doesn't matter if they are good or bad. They work you horrible long hours away from your family and show little to no appreciation for it.
productive and learning facility
Machine Operator (Former Employee), detroitJune 17, 2015
i learned a lot of things working at this job. I learned how quality control works, how to load a machine and watch for the defects, learn what the customers want as far as the metal components go in the auto motive field.
Positive work environment
GP-12 Part Inspector (Former Employee), Grand Ledge, MIMay 21, 2015
Pros: Very upbeat employees
Cons: No advancement
Very helpful management team. Very fast paced work environment. Employees treated fairly for the most part. No advancement.
hard work
Quality Tech (Current Employee), Milan, MIMay 6, 2015
Pros: uncertian hours
Cons: short breaks
40 hr not enough at this pay rate, hard work never be late, redundant work, dirty work, little chance for advancement

Employee is the last concern on their mind
productive
Operator (Former Employee), Detroit, MIMay 4, 2015
The best of my job is teaching others how to operate the machines. I also enjoy learning new things and meeting new people.
This is a tier one automotive factory
welder (Former Employee), Blissfield, MIApril 29, 2015
The work there was work. The only time you got any help was when you were behind on your job. Management really didn't have an idea what they wanted to do or there was a different supervisor running the line, the line had to run its self.
productive environment
Operator/Welder (Former Employee), Belleville, MIMarch 14, 2015
Clean place to work. Great team work. People are understand. if you have a problem human resource will take care of it. if you need time off work they give it to you with no problem. if you don't use all of your sick days they roll over to next quarter
Low pay & Long hours
former employee (Former Employee), Milan, MichiganFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: health benefits are decent
Cons: everything else
While I cannot speak for any other L&W facilities, Jaytec- Milan is one of the worst!
While it maybe alright for some one just out of high school. I would not recommend it to anyone with higher education or a great deal of work experience.
If you decide to work here, here's what you can expect: long hours (60-70 hours per week)
Low pay for the work that's required (Average is: $12:00 per hour depending upon which department you work in.
The only positive thing about this place is that they do have decent health benefits here.
So, if you decide to work just keep in mind that they will work you a lot!
One final point to consider: Upper management seems to lack any kind of ethics, they will do whatever it takes to ship product out the door! Good, bad or otherwise...
Production Operator (Current Employee), Milan, MIFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: free lunchs
Cons: short breaks, compensation for the amount of work
-Tough Work
-Coordinators are more worried about parts made instead of safety
-Low compensation
-Good job for high school graduates but for a career
Typical factory work with positives and negatives
Production Operator (Current Employee), Grand Ledge, MIJanuary 18, 2015
This job is all about factory production of automobile parts. You are assigned a certain cell which produces X amount of parts that are to be produced each day. Attendance and timeliness are the most important aspect of this job next to production and quality of work. Management has its positives and its negatives just like any other job. Unfortunately the negatives outweigh the positives altogether. That said, management doesn't make it impossible to work but definitely more stressful. The co-workers here for the most part are accommodating and friendly. The hardest part about this job is dealing with the sometimes overwhelming micro managing that occurs on a daily basis. Other than that this job is quite simple and entry level at its core. The most enjoyable aspect of this job is the coworkers you will make friends with and the occasional opportunities for advancement with the factory/company.
Comfortable work loads and excellent co-workers
Production Operator (Former Employee), Belleville, MIJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: co-workers, benefits/wage
Cons: short breaks
As an operator, the typical work day consisted of counting, stacking, and sorting a variety of parts that were produced by whichever work station you're assigned to. I learned how robotic welders along with stamping presses operate. Most of the supervisors were easy to communicate with and were motivating. Co-workers were good people; hard working, generous, and trustworthy. It might be cliché to say but it really did feel like the work force was a team. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with production at times due to failing or faulty equipment. The most enjoyable part of the job in my opinion was the general work environment, co-workers felt more like friends making it easier to accomplish tasks and keep stress at a minimum. The pay was nice as well.
Fast pace, long hrs, Unprofessional Management
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Blissfield, MIJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: company lunch functions, full vending, clean breakroom
Cons: short breaks, long hrs, disrespectful treatment from cell leaders
Fast paced, which is what I liked.
Management was unorganized, with no skills in organizing efficient work cells. Poor work scheduling / ordering of raw materials, resulting in downtime and forced overtime with no regard to life balance needs.
hardest part of job was dealing with quality inconsistencies by management, constant falsifying of quality test. and your held responsible when management deems fit.
Very productive and a good learning experience.
Production Operator (Former Employee), Belleville, MIDecember 3, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of producing my desired number of parts which was 496 parts a day. Working at L&W was a very good experience dealing with heavy machinery and as well as heavy metal. The management was very understanding yet strict on their objectives of the certain job but overall they made it a very good working environment to be in. The hardest part of my job was when my machine went down and couldn't produce the amount of parts that was desired and I had to stay over.
OK for a 'workaholic'
HEAT TREATMENT OPERATOR (Former Employee), Milan, MIOctober 17, 2014
Pros: plenty of hours for thoes that dont want a life or a family. most co-orkers are pertty nise people
Cons: no lunch (only two 15 minute breaks over 10 hours), lots of mandatory overtime (about 60 hours a week total on average), no 401k for most of my time when it was implenented it had a very poor match, poorly maintained machinery, high difficulty getting repair and safty concerns addressed, very strict attendance policy (family emergancies never taken into consideration), very strict tobacco use policy (that management seems to be exempt from)
A typical day consisted of hand loading material to be run in the line each weighing about 3-5lbs and running about 6000 parts per 10 hour shift. Also perform hourly quality checks on run parts. (I often did a quality check every 15 minutes or so) I learned how to operate a heat treatment line. (Although this was not via ANY official training as I learned from the operator before me) My co-workers were good people to work and talk with although there was a universal dislike of much of the management as well as long hours. Many of the management staff (not all) are more about quantity over quality thus if someone is like me that is more about quality they may have problems with many of the managers. Also most of the machines were in a state of disrepair and literally held together with zipties and other VERY temporary fixes. Only when a problem resulted in a complete shutdown of production did anything get repaired in a timely manner. (not due to the maintenance staffs unwillingness to do so but because management would often not allow them to do so.) As odd as it my seem the most enjoyable part of my job was actually solving and correcting problems that were causing quality issues or issues causing poor production. (EG: Jams, overheating, underheating)
Industry