L'Occitane Employee Reviews

Great work/life balance
Assistant Marketing Supervisor (Current Employee) –  TaiwanJanuary 15, 2017
Room for growth and learn
Good working environment with friendly co-workers
Compensation could be better
easy access to top management level
Great expereince/ wonderful people
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 31, 2017
A typical day at work includes selling and ringing up customers.
Working here you do have the responsibility of opening and closing the store, so it's a great learning experience. It is more of a Key Holder position than just a regular sales associate.
Honestly, the environment is so friendly and everyone works together very well. I can't say enough great things about the management. Jennifer taught me so much and was always willing to work with me. The most enjoyable part is working with everyone and having a group of people who love what they do.
The hardest part of this job is the hours and working by yourself for long periods of time. Hours change from week to week, so one week you might work 25 hours or more and the next week you have 10 hours. The store is small and there is not a need for a large staff, which means that it is harder to get your shift covered if you need time off.
Pros
friendly environment, great co-workers, reasonable pay
Cons
change of hours from week to week, trying to get your shift covered
Fun and fast paced
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CAFebruary 7, 2017
Management is great and there is a lot of room for growth and development. Work life balance is minimal. Bonus are easy to obtain.
Friendly working atmosphere with people who truly care about their customers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TX 77380September 24, 2016
I am always excited to go into work each day due to the family oriented atmosphere and friendly coworkers. I have learn an immense amount of information about skincare and beauty products as well as what works for each individual based on their skin. Management has been amazing as well with Managers and District manager who are very kind and care about each employee. The hardest part about the job is the down time when client do not walk through the door. During this time I organize the product and expand my knowledge about each product by researching the ingredients and scents. The most enjoyable part of my job is the fact that I adore French culture and it is a French Skincare company. I am surrounded by the french language everyday. There is something about the french culture that is calming and relaxing to me therefore going to work is a calming and relaxing experience.
Pros
A wonderful discount
Cons
No enough hours to distribute
Don't Bother
Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 14, 2016
Don't bother working here unless there is an open full time position. As a Part Time Employee you are on your own most of the day which leaves you as the one in charge. Pay is minimal and they will work you just under the amount of hours to require giving you benefits. You are supposed to be greatful for all the hours they give you with no benefits, no thank you. You are highly taken advantage of as a part time employee which saddens me deeply.
Pros
Laid back, independence
Cons
Except working a lot alone, no benefits, low pay, short breaks.
Greatest retail job I had
Merchandising Captain/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZ 85254December 28, 2016
This was a great company to work for because we were all like a little L'Occitane family. The job trained me in all aspects of running a store and successful business because they instilled so much trust in their employees to be able to run the business correctly. My co-workers and the customers who come in are almost always friendly and they allow you to really speak towards the product and let you show them new things. The hardest part of the job at first was opening and closing the store by yourself. You had to set the day up and crank out all the numbers but once you get it down it is not bad at all. The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the people and the work environment that you get to enjoy.
Pros
Free campaign product every month
Nice Job
Skin Care Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 14, 2017
Great job for about five years tops. I would say focus on your career while working at L'Occitane, I was able to experience life as a skin care specialist and focus on my career it went great.
Pros
New Oppertunity
Cons
Short-Term
Retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Beverly Hills, CAMarch 15, 2017
A cozy retail story in the heart of Beverly Hills. Lots of great clientele and promotions. Enjoyed learning about organic products that came from France and other countries in Europe.
Great people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 22, 2016
Great work staff and great products making it a easy sell. Always fun little parties with promotions. Great job advancements. Trips to france for the best store in district.
Pros
Facials, great products
Cons
A great place to gain experience and move on
Full Time Sales Associate / Key Holder (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2016
This company experienced a great deal of growing pains while I worked there. New boutiques opening all over NYC, without the proper amount of staff to cover the existing ones. Promotional materials and product shipments often arrived late, or packaged illogically. Sales goals were also incredibly unrealistic.

The company's culture at the time was occasionally abusive, with little regard for the physical and mental well being of its staff members. We were forced to have boutique doors open in the dead of winter with no heat curtains installed. There are executives at this company who are some of the most superficial and underhanded people you will ever meet. If staff members advocated for themselves they were labeled a troublemaker and forced out the door - which is what I experienced.

There are some positive things about working for this company - a nice discount and occasional gratis on high quality products. Their L&D program is also terrific and you will learn a lot about skincare and fragrance while you're there. I also had a great relationship with several of my coworkers, who were all bright and had a lot of talent to bring to the table. It's a good company to cut your teeth in the beauty industry and then get out before you get dragged down in the non-stop verbena scented drama.
Pros
gratis, employee discount, good training programs
Cons
negative culture, unrealistic expectations
co-worker very nice and friendly
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Woodbury, NYDecember 5, 2016
To receive customer's advice, understand customer needs and achieve sales.
Responsible for the sales record, inventory, account checking and other work.
To complete the shelves of goods placed on display, replenishment, loss prevention and other daily business.
dont ever work here
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMarch 13, 2017
horrible. I would never work for this company again. they are all about sales and could careless about their employees. plus you don't get commission on any of the products that you sale.
Lies lies lies
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesJune 26, 2015
This company is a complete joke. As a store manager you have ZERO autonomy. You cannot hire, fire, coach or lead your team without the most incompetent of HR personnel to approve. Don't ever expect a raise no matter how well your store does or how hard you work. No back office so all of your schedules, paperwork etc have to be done between customers. You are alone in the store 90% of the time. They break labor laws and do not allow employees to have adequate breaks. Does not follow the city's sick pay laws. Awful, deplorable company. Look elsewhere there's much better out there!!!!
Pros
Discount on products
Cons
Don't work here unless you enjoy being treated subhuman
Positive and diverse environment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 6, 2015
A typical day at work would involve interaction with both my co-workers, management and customers. There is constant inflow of new product/ company information. Management is relaxed and there is a sense of ease and trust. My co-workers and I work together as a team for a positive outcome for the day.

Hardest part of my job would include customer complaints. It is hard when the customer leaves unhappy, I go above and beyond my means to please the customer for a happy outcome. Unfortunately, I do follow company policy which sometimes does not give the customer the outcome they want. Most enjoyable part of the job is making a difference and building a connection with customers. Many of my customers come back quite often because I do not just treat them as a customer with no care, I genuinely care for my customers.
Pros
Flexible hours, Campaign gratis, Compensation.
Sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CA 91210July 5, 2016
Working as a Sales Associate was the best experience I've ever had. Because I got to actually interact with Client's and talk to them and show them what our company had to offer for them. I loved my coworkers even though I was seasonal, my coworkers were the best and that's where I learned most of customer service skills. They were always so helpful and so nice anything I needed help or had questions they were by my side explaining everything step by step for me. I never had a hard time working here, I just truly enjoyed the company and my coworkers and of course my favorite client's that would always come back happier than ever with my help.
Horrible Company but great products
Store Manager, Grand Central Station (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 26, 2013
This is the worst retail company I have ever worked for. I worked there as a Store Manager and the upper management were completely unprofessional and unorganized. I had years of retail management coming into this company and just seemed like the DMs and above just did not know what they were doing. Every plan for the stores was made at this last minute and Store Managers were expected to comply with them.

The hardest part of the job was the hours. I worked very long, exhausted hours for little recognition. Positive feedback is not a regular occurrence in this company.

The best part of this job was the products. I do believe in the product and personally use it so it was exciting to sell to customers. Even though I still enjoy the products, unfortunately my experience with L'Occitane has tainted my view on them a bit.
Pros
Good benefits, great products
Cons
poor management, horrible employees
GREAT Company to work for.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  N/AMay 9, 2014
If you love skin care and body care and love the best things in life, then this is the company for you.
It is a sales company so you do have to work hard and follow the practices that are in place and sell, sell, sell.
There is always opportunity to move up, especially if you are willing to move. If you are then you will move up VERY quickly.
They also pay above the mark for a small company.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement, salary, and flexibility
Cons
Upper Management does get on you a lot if you are not making numbers
Company takes advantage of employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 13, 2012
Unless you're in a flagship, you're by yourself in the store for an average of 1-6 hours a day. No security whatsoever. Company pushes you to essentially bother customers until they tell you to stop. Very inconsistant with employees salary and promotions. They make promises they don't keep. Part-time sales associates are taken advantage of and receive no benefits. Poor amount of gratis and trainings. Approximately $30 of gratis a month if you're lucky. No motivation to do your job well. Very high turnover rate. Very low percentage of happy employees.
Pros
40% discount
Cons
too many to count
First management opportunity working at a great boutique with a wonderful manager!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 26, 2012
This was, by far, one of the best jobs I've ever had. I had a wonderful manager, of whom I'm still very close to, and we worked together to open this boutique in a great area. She taught me so much about managing and the operational side of managing, that I never knew existed. We worked really well together, and she was very supportive when I began my career with CHANEL.
Pros
tons of experience, great staff, great benefits, fun environment.
Cons
had to leave to pursue a new job opportunity.
Great Store to work in
Sales Associate, Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Freehold, NJAugust 6, 2016
Retail Associate sales position, key holder. Love the products, nice clientele, Customers come in stressed and leave relaxed and refreshed. Typical work environment, for retail work but overall an easy job. We work as a team, great manager.
Pros
gratis and generous product discount
Cons
can be stressful when business is slow, typical retail stress

Ask a question about working or interviewing at L'Occitane. Our community is ready to answer.