L'Oréal Employee Reviews

worst job I've ever had
manager (Former Employee) –  vaSeptember 1, 2013
First off, the expectation level is higher than what any human being could possibly possess. As a manager, undoubtedly more is expected of you then your employees, but to give an example of how i was personally treated as well as other managers of the same district, i worked 3 months solid by MYSELF 63 hours a week, open to close monday-saturday in a very high volume store with absolutely NO HELP. I could not hire my own employees, they had to be hired by my district manager. The stress alone during that time made me lose a lot of weight, i was constantly sick, and didnt get a smidgen of sympathy, in fact, they told me work the 63 hours or not have a job. I love L'Oreal themselves but salon centric was the worst company they could have ever bought into.
Pros
penny purchases
Cons
i think i said enough
As the company I worked for (Decleor-Carita US) had only just been purchased (less than a year), I had limited time to base my true opinion.
Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTJuly 20, 2015
During our transition into L'Oreal's world, our new co-workers were a pleasure to work with, and eager to get us on board as quickly as possible. Training was always available; and their positive attention to our needs was always met with constant encouragement.

As I learned more about their systems, and my Customers growth started to grow, I had hopes the business would significantly increase.

Unfortunately, L'Oreal realized Decleor-Carita would be better supported in all aspects of business from Ohio instead of Connecticut which eliminated my department.
Pros
Free quarterly products, Summer hours, 401K, bonus possibilities.
Cons
Long daily commute
For the Innovative, Fantastic Company
Vice President (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 26, 2015
L'Oreal USA is a haven & an energy force for the innovative, creative and big picture thinkers. A fantastic place to work - great people, beautiful products, globally renown and a company that forges it's own path. If you are comfortable ambuquity and the freedom to craft the processes and ways of working that will make you & your team successful, there's no better place. World class benefits, constantly growing, tremendous room for advancement & mobility...I've been here for eight years and there's no other company in the world like L'Oreal. I love it.
Pros
work life balance, benefits, products, people, energy, culture, diversity & inclusion
Cons
not a rigid process oriented company - if that's what makes you happy, l'oreal is not for you
loreal- maybelline
cake press operator (Former Employee) –  loanoke arkJune 19, 2015
The company has a very high turnover rate due to the staff and management not adapting to the changes in the company and seeing them as a asset and not a deficit. The management team was difficult because they let lead employees do what they had been doing that was incorrect, and continue throught. When it was repeated or caught up by the next staff, they have major problems and created a difficult atmosphere for the employee to work and prejudice is a major factor in this as well. People are and should be paid according to their ability and not treated with a special privilege according to their color and gender.
Pros
we got to shop in the store and as a temp we had many opportunities as much as the normal staff
Cons
prejudice
Fast-paced environment with a strong work culture
Inventory Management Intern (Current Employee) –  Cranbury, NJAugust 29, 2014
I have been able to learn many skills that can be beneficial when job searching. I was able to apply what I learned in class to what I do at this internship. L'Oreal is a difficult company to gain full-time employment. They expect you to be confident during interviews and they look for those that can be somewhat aggressive in nature. The culture here embraces healthy conflict and how you can resolve those conflicts. I would say adapting to this culture as I try to find a job has been the most difficult.
I have been able to make many connections in this company. I really enjoy working with my coworkers and I do look forward to coming to work every day.
Pros
free goods from company stores
A really bad company to work for
Manager (Former Employee) –  Franklin, NJJune 14, 2013
I would not recommend to anyone to join this company if you value weekends, evenings and nights. The manufacturing environment is highly stressful with very long hours. Management was incompetent and rude in my case. Turnover is ridiculously high with many departments having all new people fresh out of college.

Some other locations have decent managers and better work-life balance, but it really is hit or miss.

In terms of career growth there is not a good succession planning in place. Movements across division and functions are limited and as far as I have seen it is much more likely to be fired than to be promoted.

Stay away.
Pros
company store, nice name on your resume
Cons
long hours, bad managers, limited career growth
Highly demanding environment
Industrial Quality Chemist (Current Employee) –  Somerset, NJNovember 8, 2013
A typical day of work is exhausting when working with high manufacturing demands there is never any downtime. I have effectively learned to multitask and prioritize every aspect of my job. Management is very supportive there is so much going on in a 24/7 facility that we are extremely independent. I thoroughly enjoy everyone that i work with at L'Oreal i know that we will stay in touch for the rest of our lives. The hardest part of the job is time management squeezing 12 hours of work into and 8 hour day. The most enjoyable part of the job are the company events like volunteer day where we get to venture out and give back to the community.
Pros
company excursions
Cons
minimal advancement opportunities
fun and productive workplace
Machine Operator/compounding/pakaging mechanic (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJDecember 26, 2013
A typical day at work, learning how to run all different product's threw the day.. I learn how to set up and display machines, and fix all malfunction on the production line. management was always supportive in my day to day activity. Working with my co-workers was always a plus on every job" team work".. The hardest part of my job, is trying to keep my production machine running with out stopping. The most enjoyable part of my job, is when there is no malfunction threw out the day at work, everything is running smooth, and me and my co-workers on my production line have grade A quality at the end of the day.
Pros
paid lunches and breaks..
Cons
short lunches healthcare
Retail Sales Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAMarch 5, 2015
Part-time job that required a bit of heavy lifting, but the perks made it worth it. Though I did not receive health insurance, paid time off, or 401k participation (it was part time after all), I did receive a lot of products as part of my job. I learned a lot about inventory and out-of-stock management, and a typical day included going into retail stores and stocking shelves, returning product to the manufacturer, and ordering out-of-stocks and low-stock items. I would work for this company again if given the opportunity. However, I would like to work full-time as opposed to part-time.
Pros
good hours, received a lot of merchandise on top of hourly pay
Cons
no health insurance
Really appreciate all that I learned at L'Oreal.
Production Supervisor - Cell Leader (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJanuary 20, 2015
Very pleased with all that I learned at L'Oreal. 14 hour work days were not fun as this did not leave any time for a personal life. Management was good but were result driven. Co-workers were amazing as it felt as if they were family. The hardest part of the job was trying to keep up with all the expectations upper management had of their Cell Leaders. The most enjoyable part of the job was the freedom we had to explore new ways to improve and apply these to our processes. The sharing of best practices was a common thing at L'Oreal.
Pros
talented management team. spent the money required to improve productivity.
Cons
all work, no life.

Want to know more about L'Oréal?

Ask a question
Very productive, fast-pace environment
Sr. Developer PPD (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 13, 2014
I work day in day out in a positive and energetic work environment surrounded by an exemplary blend of talents in the areas of Marketing, R&I, Packaging, Operations, Logistics etc.

I have learned a lot about project management, strategic planning, goal setting, scheduling, analysis, presentation, negotiation, forecasting, resource planning, workflow scheduling, and personnel management.

I have further demonstrated my ability to meet and exceed established goals and manage diverse competing priorities in fast-paced, time sensitive environments.
Pros
summer hours + access to company stores
Cons
tough professional environment
Fast paced place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILAugust 25, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of opening the store, preparing and delivering bank deposit. Greeting customers. Achieving sales goal. Closing the store. My co-workers were very easy to work with and taught me the "go getter" mentality. The management there was caring, helpful and creative. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fast paced environment, the store is located in an outlet mall and there were always tour busses. I enjoyed staying busy very much. The hardest part was the parking situation on the weekends and holiday season. It was very hectic.
Pros
Gratis, heath care, vision and dental benefits.
Cons
Opened 363 days a year.
Very international environment and strong personalities
MBA Intern - Strategic Marketing Asia Pacific (Former Employee) –  ParisMarch 3, 2013
L'Oreal is a company that is greatly focused on individual responsibility and hence has a great environment of very motivated, young people with strong personalities who are responsible to chart their own careers within the company with their professional and networking skills.

The HR team is a constant support at L'Oreal and every employee has multiple feedback and update sessions with the HR representatives. They know you just as well as your Managers and are personally involved in your career growth.
not a good place to work
store manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis indSeptember 18, 2013
No training for Manager and they will throw you under the bus lots of gossip among all the store manager a new bad district manager that has no clue of what she is doing long hour and can you believe they Pay there manager by the hour wow..The district manager was call in behind my back to my employees asking question about how and what i was doing the will let you work most of the day before the let you go right in front of customer I would not recommended this company I would rather be on welfare and there turn over rate is extremely high.
Pros
free product
Cons
managers get paid hourly sucks
Not worth the pay!!!
Picker (Former Employee) –  Manchester,PAJune 6, 2013
They lie to you from the door about the hours,occasional overtime...BS.. work 12 hour days, and they will ask for more!!!! little pay. And No appreciation for their employees. They are losing some very good employees because of the way management runs its business. Sad for them. If the managers actually came out and worked a full week as an employee, maybe they would see what's going on and how their employees actually feel. No work/ life balance, no room for advancement, compensation sucks!!!Don't get a job there!!!!
Pros
none!!!!!
Cons
long hours, little pay, no appreciation, hot warehouse, no fans, or air movement
Rewards for hard work.
Machine Operator A (Former Employee) –  Solon, OHNovember 27, 2012
Time is improtant between shifts exchange. Most machines dont stop so you have to be ready to take over.

Ive learn you have to pay attention to every detail of the operation from machine(s) to finish produce. The small mistakes could cause big down times.

Hardest part is 1 operator on a horse shoe line is very busy keeping up with labels that can run out,jars that can get jammed,pallets that can stack wrong.Trying to watch ,weigh,speck,order materials on a fast line is challening.

Most joyable part is hitting the Goal .
Pros
lots of recongitions and rewards
Cons
short breaks
I liked the whole process from start to finish.
Zone Leader (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLSeptember 12, 2014
I did like my job. I was in a warehouse in Florida without air-conditioning. Surprisingly a lot of the people there liked the heat.
I was lucky that I was in the Nail Room(as in fingernail polish) and the room was air-conditioned.
It was a good time. Most of the people got along. No major hassles.
We looked forward to pizza every Friday.
My favorite part was the sales we had . Any damaged hair product,
make-up, spa treatment,hair dye went into a bag sale.
We happily paid 5.00 for a grocery bag!
Pros
free pizza
Cons
long hours. we worked until the job was completed.
Think twice
Chemist but laterial move changed that (Former Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARAugust 10, 2015
You may get hired for one task on paper but better believe your task will be altered and these are known as lateral moves. If you're salary you have a flexible schedule (in a way), but if you're hourly well your schedule is very ridged. If you like to working lunches and being on call 24/7 then you have found your right fit. It once was the right fit but training became very few and far between and the environment extremely hostile. I'm not saying this won't be the right fit for you but think twice.
Pros
Maternity Leave
Cons
Young unskilled management
Fun place to work
Kiehl's Customer Representative (Current Employee) –  NY, NYAugust 24, 2015
The atmosphere working for a L'Oreal company can be a wonderful thing with the right team. I worked with such a team and every day was a day in which we were happy to be working together. Our product was a good product- it worked, customers loved it, and better still the company gave back to the community via making donations to AIDS research and children's charities every year.

Management turnover was high, however. That wasn't always a good thing.
Pros
L'Oreal covered the cost for its employees to frequent a physical fitness facility.
Great people inside of a company that required high performance
IDC E-Commerce Administrative Program (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 8, 2015
I was able to learn a lot about the corporate culture in this role at L'oreal. A typical day goes from around 8:30 until 6:30. They are very willing to show you the ropes but once you are taught you are expected to perform at a very high rate. The hardest part was the disconnect between the various teams. The easiest part was gaining friendships with colleagues and being introduced to a great challenge in my first full-time role.
Pros
great product testing
Cons
long days, high stress