L-3 Communications Employee Reviews

Found 1,094 reviews matching the search
Good stable company; be prepared to move often...
PRINCIPAL FIELD ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  NM, NV, AZ, UAEMarch 3, 2015
Worked as an engineer on govt defense contracts maintaining satellite communications airborne & ground systems. Love the technical side. Management generally good people. Hardest part of the job are frequent, short-notice (sometimes extremely short notice) permanent moves to another state / city. Was with the company 3 1/2 years, moved four times during my tenure. Along with sudden reassignments, engineers / techs perform an average of one 4-month deployment each year to overseas locations in support of our equipment / military customers. These aren't bad trips. You work every day for 120 days, 12 hr shifts per day or night & in most locations, are restricted to base, no alcohol, visiting the host country, etc. But the pay is great & the time goes by very quickly...

Best part of the job for me: Satellite communications is very interesting work for a guy who had no experience. So learning something new most days is nice. Pay for entry level techs is lots lower than engineers like me with 25+ yrs of electronics experience but whereas I made more per hr, while deployed, younger techs get some of their hrs at time / half & double-time. Salaried engineers get straight hrly pay, regardless of how many hours that week. So best part other than liking new challenges is the high salary, plus weekly site allowance pay (amount varies depending upon US region / city; on deployments, the weekly site pay / bonus is phenomenally high).

Worst part: Be ready to move when you least expect to. You could be in one site for 3-4 yrs or 3-4 months. You never know. Company doesn't move you or reimburse
  more... you either (if in Field Services like I was). But they expect you to pick up & go when told without using money as an excuse. Cause they've been paying you weekly site pay as long as you've been employed. That money is compensation for you being mobile, ready to move, whenever / wherever. Average notice to move? I'd say 2 wks. A month, if you're lucky. I'm divorced / my kids are all adults, save one who is 16. So I moved without issue. Only reason I no longer work for the company is because at this stage of my life (54 yrs old), I want to work / live in my hometown. Company wanted me to move permanently overseas. I tried it for a couple months, decided I don't want to wait until another 2-4 yrs before I can be transferred back to hometown. So I walked...  less
Pros
high pay, rewarding satcom experience
Cons
frequent, short-notice moves
Documentation
Quality Analyst (Current Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAMarch 11, 2013
A typical workday includes working with writers, illustrators, and composition to ensure documents meet all Military Specifications and government preferences with no errors.

Management includes mostly ex-military personnel and only the top level is able to meet with the base customers. The chain of command is enforced - not an "open" culture, although Ethics are strictly enforced (which is good). My co-workers are fantastic and a big part of why I have stayed in this position so long. Also, in this type of government contracting job, the contract always ends after a specified period of time before management may re-bid the contract, so job security is an issue. As this specific contract is going to go back in-house to the government in September, I will not be able to continue work on this contract.

Unfortunately, I have not gotten to use my project management. software, true Quality Improvement, and Business Analysis skills in this environment. Since the economy collapsed in 2008, I moved back to Warner Robins from Atlanta to address family issues and to finish my MBA. There is little opportunity for growth without a military or engineering background. Thus, I have found myself "underemployed" for the past 3 years but am grateful to have found a job (Atlanta was hit much harder economically) and, until the latest sequester issue, Warner Robins Air Force base contractors and civilian workers had a very low unemployment rate.

The hardest part of the job is that the work can be tedious. Throughout our ISO process, little is automated. Therefore, we check books line by line,
  more... comma and spacing included. We are not permitted to fix grammar errors or existing selling issues, which can be very hard for an English minor like myself. Books are written to a 9th grade level, which is also frustrating. Also, overall Quality Plans are written by another department altogether, so I am unable to make changes to the process.

The most enjoyable part of the job is a short commute, my co-workers, and the ability to make up time for doctor's appointments and such in one week. Also, the benefits package is excellent, although salaries and generally low and raises are very small and based more upon seniority than merit.
Pros
great co-workers!
Cons
fixed breaks, lunches, and military-style management
L3 - SDS division
Field Service Technician (Current Employee) –  airport anycity, usaDecember 15, 2014
It's time to learn to swim. Here is this highly technical, mechanical bus size x ray machine . Here's the book. You now alone and are now being expected to fix anything and everything that is wrong with the equipment. Oh did I mention that it hasn't been serviced very well either ! Good Luck is what management says. You got a bunch of them too ..and they break everyday all the time . If you love feeling like you were just fed to the wolves then your gonna love the SDS division . Double talk from management Payroll that is all messed up ... Nasty dirty poorly designed equipment that makes servicing really really hard ....than you are going to just LOVE the SDS divison.

Don't worry Management matches the equipment. It's the old sink or swim learn by fire. OH There's mandatory OT every week and a constant stream of impossible situations and Oncall... Say good bye to your life, your wife, and friends.

Your hardest thing you will have to do every day is stopping yourself from walking out the door because you have a family and commitments. The work environment is nasty, loud and dirty with ladders and overhead obstructions everywhere. Did I mention you'll be caring tools ...up and down ladders and catwalks .... usually a backpack with about 30-40 lbs. of tools ... and every thing is recorded online real time so there is a computer you learn to hate too as well as phone that locks ever 30 seconds requiring you to sign in twice.
Then there is the people you will work with. A fine bunch. You'll never meet a group like them anyway else. Never call you, talk to you, speak to you unless
  more... it is behind your back to complain about you. Always so helpful too

Good thing is you'll sleep like a log oh I forgot to mention you will have a really nice time figuring when to sleep or eat because your shift is as messed up too with oncall once a month and holidays in addition to the Mandatory OT.

Also most people have to be screened. The background eliminates so many people so good trying to even get hired.

I suggest you consider an enlistment in the military prior to anL3 - SDS assignment. You could use the combat training and conditioning prior to first week.
Pros
you will sleep well because you'll be exhausted
Cons
challenge even superman would
A decent place to work if you can handle the uncertainty of working for a company that does contract work for the government.
PRINCIPLE GRAPHIC ARTIST/ILLUSTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 24, 2013
L-3 is a very large company with many different business entities that all function more or less independently under the L-3 umbrella. Many of the business units perform entirely different types of work. For example, one entity does engineering while another does training solutions. Each of these entities seem to do things a little differently so it's hard to say how things are in the other divisions that I was not a participant in.

The result of all this diversity is that the company sometimes feels detached from itself. It can be particularly frustrating if your department has a need that could be filled by another department, but due to seemingly arbitrary red tape between business divisions, collaboration is not possible in almost every case. They have tried to change this recently by spinning off another company (Engility Corporation) to handle certain types of labor. It's hard to say how successful this move will be since many of the issues are related to management strategies that didn't appear to be changing and rules for working with other entities which are regulated by government entities.

Another significant issue for artists is the glass ceiling that exists. As a rule, management cannot see an artist as anything other than someone that makes things look pretty. You can be intelligent, organized, and competent in many areas but the best you can hope for is to lead a division, or project art team. There is no ability for an artist to move up the corporate ladder without getting a second degree of some type. Which they make difficult by not allowing you to be reimbursed
  more... for classes that you take that aren't directly relatable to your current position. I.e. a artist can't take business classes to work towards an MBA and have them reimbursed through the corporate educational assistance program.  less
Pros
typically a 40 hour work without requirements for extra hours.
Cons
administrative red tape, arbitrary rules governing collaboration, limited upward mobility for artists.
Interesting Products, Poor Corporate ES&H Culture with even more inept ES&H Management
Safety and Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mason, OhioDecember 17, 2012
I worked at this plant for 7 years and was unseated by the incoming ES&H manager because I didn't agree with any and all ideologies (that this 'tree hugging: bicycle to work and preach to others because they didn't, prefer to spend time in the woods camping with boys in his scout troop (even though his son is long since out of the scouts) embraced.

I had exemplary performance appraisals prior to the present ESH manager's arrival. Was let go in May of this year due to funding and contract cancellations, not for performance. Have the letter on Corporate letterhead stating such. I was simply not what the present inept manager wanted: a 'yes man'. BTW: Before they hired the new ESH manager, I was offered the ESH manager's position for 5% more annually and declined the poor offer. If I was not up to the job, why was it originally offered to me? :)

My time with the organization showed continuous improvement every year we were audited by Corporate ESH. Since my departure the new manager received triple the number of deficencies and corrective actions. He's simply looking for someone to throw under the bus before next years' auditors come back. Be forewarned.

Corporate L3 management culture is to lead by fear and intimidation.

Advice to anyone thinking about working there: get paid coming in the door because raises and merit increases are a pitance and well below Cost of Living expenses.

They gave many of us a nice severance package and I went right back to working in an ES&H position closer to home for more money. Should have left earlier.
Thanks for the $10k L3 to walk out the
  more... door and go right back to work!
LOL
Pros
made some good professional contacts and friends
Cons
management was a poor excuse for leadership, hiring their cronies.
Level 3 Communications Contract - Great atmosphere
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, COOctober 7, 2013
A typical day at work consists of:
-Review Factory log
~Assign projects (Templates varies from Blue to Red)
-Open all project Logs and send Contents to Pipeline to acquire location/price estimations/ etc... (if unable to obtain through Pipeline, use OnRamp for rough Estimation.)
~Edit Contents and merge given contents together
-Finalize Draft in Microsoft word
~Change all headlines
--------- Repeat this process again----------

I have learned a variety of applications during my contract with level 3 communications. I have also learned that communication between manager and administrator is very important during all project process.
The Co-workers have good attitudes however they do not work as a team on a single project unlike the management does.
There are two different things that can make this job difficult, starting out as Project Administrator in Level 3 Communications and Submitting to Pipeline application. Why are these two very difficult as a Project Administrator In level 3? Starting out in Level 3 Project Administrators did not get much training in the field of work, how we accomplished was by kinetic learning, practice makes perfect.
The second difficulty is Pipeline, servers and networks around the world provided by Level 3 is some times to always backed up, response times and requests don't always come through. Emails, and requests are late or you never receive the emails you need to accomplish your work. This comes down to the conclusion of another thing I just learned, wide expansion is nice, but availability and integrity is more important.
The most enjoyable
  more... part of the job would be testing my self at work, testing how fast I can accomplish a single project, or how many I can accomplish in a week.  less
Pros
great atmosphere, great workers
Cons
difficult to go from contract-hire, pay, commute, low end workstations(constant freezing and frequent bugs)
great place to work. enjoy being at work. great people good benifits and a people friendly community
Tool Room Attendant/production asstiant (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXJuly 21, 2012
typical day at work would consist of arriving at 6 am opening up asset control logging in to TipQA (tool tracking software) bumping gas detector and helping employees to kits or tools need to complete there daily assignments. through out the day i distribute kits,air craft parts, and other items using many different types of ground support equipment. ( tugs fork lifts booms and so on) also responsible for longing and tracking tools and aircraft parts using excel. i have learned the operation of different ground support equipment and diff computer software's. people skills and organizational skills. management is OK over the past 7 years iv seen many transitions. but for the most part great company to work for and they continue to move forward acquiring more contracts and supplying jobs for the community. for the most part the co-workers here are extremely friendly and very family oriented. matter a fact that's one of my favorite perks of the job. very people friendly work place. as far as hard parts. sometimes you are pressed for time but other than that its all hands on and pretty much self explanatory. but the good thing about the people here are always willing to help. great team work. i enjoy my job very much. i am always getting to think outside the box. like finding ways to create new kits , and finding ways to boost production by making our employes jobs easier and more efficient. i enjoy working with the ground support equipment as well. very well maintained and luv being out side. plus the facility here is very nice and clean as well as organized.
Pros
l-3 perks (discounts through other bussinesses)
Cons
short breaks, health benifits and family days
Mechanical Installer (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXAugust 25, 2012
I am speaking about the site I worked at in Texas, the rest of the company may be ok, i dont know. The management has no clue on how to work its people and dont seem to really care about its blue collar employees. The pay is poor, they dont rate people on their performance only the ones the like, those people get promoted ahead of others and and take no action when confronted with safety concerns. The mission there is an important one and does save lives on the battle front ,which to me is a fulfilling experience for me. They do not believe in training or passing on experience,only meeting deadlines. My co-workers are there just to get thru the day, because in the area there are no other jobs that pay as high as L-3 does, but is still far lower than other companys pay to do the same job which draws lower expreienced people to do the job the is really below standards than other companys have. The hardest part of the job is working for supervisors and managers that dont know there jobs and expect you to know yours and cant answer for their mistakes and pass the blame to you, thats tuff to deal with! The work is not hard, its the atmosphere you work in that causes poor morale. the benefits are poor and keep getting poorer and hardly no retirement plan. If you work for the company 10 yrs and quit or get fired, if you come back you time bacisally starts all over. The site i worked at has good people but no leadership to lead the workers. The company could do alot better if it didnt have a wall between its workers and magement, they just dont listen.
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
cannot grow in your job, pay raises poor, little or no rewards
Good place to work if you have goals
Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 12, 2014
Great place to work. I was a Network Technician in the Managed Services division. The things that the techs get to do there is basically operations engineering level. I worked on some pretty cool stuff. Network is Juniper, Cisco, and Alcatel mostly. Techs get to work on the PE devices as well as the CE Cisco and Juniper devices. I got a ton of exp there in a very short time as they give you lots of freedom as long as you don't mess anything up. You are not really on call much unless you ask for it. This doesn't include emergency situations like huge floods, and earthquakes which take down major parts of the network. Benefits are outstanding, including Vaca. You can move up to design, provisioning, engineering. Some fello technicians are complainers and bicker constantly as they will always be technicians, but are sick of being technicians. Other techs want and are working to move up. The group is mixed between these two. I liked it alot. The only down site is the group is very customer facing, and the clients disrupt troubleshooting continually during the day with their many phone calls. Sometimes though you can keep them on and troubleshoot their issue on the fly, but not all the time as you have a quota.

All in all, this is a great place to work. If you are a tech, you will learn a TON here in a very short time. I started learning once I had the confidence to just go for it and grab that tech 3 ticket. Just don't mess any client networks up. Management isn't a concern as long as you do your job.
Pros
skills learned, freedom, chance for advancement
Cons
some angry techs there, client calls
Over-worked, under appreciated and paid less than a Pizza Delivery Driver
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Denver, ColoradoMarch 29, 2014
I would like to seriously warn anyone thinking of coming to this company, especially if someone is calling you to join the Ops Academy. Run for you life, away from anything this company tries to offer you, because a large portion of those promises will be lies. If you are crazy enough to work in the field, they WILL overwork you, they WILL NOT train you, and they WILL expect the impossible out of you, EVERY day. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I was put in absolutely dangerous situations. Doing major installs without ever having worked with electricity, one wrong move and I could have killed myself especially with the amount of amps and volts we work around. My director is easily the biggest schemer and the scummiest little guy I have ever met. I have never had a job with as much admin work as this, and I was once an administrative assistant. I will say that I have learned more here than any other company, but it was at the cost of my personal life, my health, and honestly my soul. Please heed the warning and go to a company that will appreciate your work. Level 3 might have been decent at one time, but they have gotten so large that everyone is just a title, a metric. Find a company that will treat you like a human.
L3 Communications SDS division
Field Service Technician (Current Employee) –  LAS VEGASOctober 15, 2014
My Customers are unlike any other. I 'll bet you soon find it the most enjoyable job you ever had. You will find it hard not to express your feelings daily.

A typical day will begin and end when no others do. I f you are as lucky as me you'll work on equipment that is unlike any other you have ever seen. Yep State of the art ! You'll daily perform some of the oldest routines in maintenance but not to worry the management at SDS will make sure you are challenged. You love Management too ... The many challenges you are given are tailored to your individual skill level ...and their unmatched communication and leadership skills that are just unsurpassed in the work place. ... Things like time off are never a problem at L3 and my coworkers are unsurpassed in their ethics and eagerness to get the job done and done right. If you like people that you look forward to working with ... this place will surprise you !
The hardest part of my job is figuring out where I want to go in this company. Tech support ... Supervisor .... EVEN HR are always so professional, helpful ... I can not figure out were my best career path should be.

It is a joy to have a job where I have such strong feelings about the equipment, the people , the customers and ...the wonderful work environment. I think I may never retire from this company.
Pros
great people a rewarding career
Cons
hard to move up
Fun place to work, lots of incentives to keep moral up, lots of pizza, sub and wings luncheons, competitions to meet certain goals.
Service Delivery Offnet Provisioner (Former Employee) –  Coudersport, PAJune 3, 2014
I enjoyed this job, it was an opportunity to learn something new. As I did not know telecommunications. I interfaced with major telecommunications Off Net network sites to enter technical data specifications for equipment required to build Off net circuits. I would interface with companies such as Verizon, Sprint, XO, At&t, Bell South, etc. Provided excellent customer service. Accuracy in data entry ensured correct materials needed for project builds. Expedited work with project managers to assist with on time delivery for proprietary builds. Had technical training and professional development training. Attended seminars and completed courses in Telecommunication skills.
The hardest part of the job was to ensure the customer received their service in a timely fashion, due to builds, city permits, correcting customer requests. And if a customers circuits went down, getting the other telecommunications company to assist in re-installing the service.
Management was constantly changing. So procedures also changed. That was difficult to keep up.
I made good friends when dealing with other LEC's. And am still in contact with a few of them.
Pros
room for advancement, great co-workers, good pay and benefits.
Cons
to many managers and not enough personal one on one with them.
Productive, family-like atmosphere, great benefits
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAFebruary 10, 2015
L3 has a $5,000 education benefit for each employee which allowed me to complete my bachelors degree and begin my masters degree. This was one of the benefits I really loved.
The office I worked in had two sides, one was the "techie" side and the other "was not", but even with that this was a very cohesive team and we enjoyed having a BBQ for lunch every couple of months along with a potluck. We all worked hard to get our tasks and assignments completed so that we could celebrate together - so we truly did have accomplishments ready to applaud.
Although this was a great group of people, I was assigned the task of getting the technical writers to sit down with the technical engineers and talk to each other without getting upset. They each felt the other was trying to take credit for their work and weren't representing that work in the documentation correctly (which upset the writers to no end). It took a bit of creativity and a lot of tenacity, but under my lead we all worked together and everyone was very happy with the end products. Not only that, but good friendships were born and documents were delivered on time for the first time in the history of the project!
It felt very good to have been able to show my management/people skills and organization abilities and be successful as Team Lead.
Pros
the people, the environment and open-door policy of management
Cons
no advancement opportunities for me within that particular office
Employee skill sets don't match their work assignments in several cases: bad result for company
Senior Power Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAOctober 26, 2014
This can be a hostile work environment. A project lead becomes hostile (raising voice, so as to broadcast his comment "you don't know what you are talking about") when hearing his idea of how magnetic materials behaves is incorrect: he asks for material that has no permeability at low frequency but then has permeability at high frequency! The company's magnetics 'guru' refuses several requests to correct his transformer model before its inclusion into a technical proposal to customer: his model has galvanic connection between primary and secondary circuit, and fails to include an ideal transformer that is standard for such models; after several weeks and many requests, his associate manages to provide a proper model! A consultant provides in an analysis an incorrect description of how magnetic fields are created within magnetic material, and project lead refuses to acknowledge this is so when hearing about it: he later discloses that he enjoys doing his role of predicting transformer behavior because it gives him an opportunity to learn about magnetics! Management does not respond appropriately to correct these structural defects in their organization.
Pros
9/80: every other friday off, until overtime is required
Cons
arrogance correlates with demonstrated incompetencies
Good and Bad of it all
UAV SATCOM Engineer (Former Employee) –  Nellis AFBApril 19, 2015
My experience with L-3 is when wanting to hire you they will promise far more than they will deliver. i.e., you are told you will have paid moves if you transfer to another location, the reality is most jobs do not qualify for the paid move, you must be permanently assigned to a work location which they didn't make clear to me, as I was applying for a job which moves every few years, either in accord to their desires, or contract changes, supporting UAV aircraft. I was told I would deploy for a minimum of 3 to 4 months every 18 months for OCONUS work which would double my pay, nope, didn't happen, their mistake, sorry!

The job I had supporting UAV SATCOM operations went away when the USAF decided to take the work over with enlisted personnel instead of using contractors, I was offered another position at a location which was closing down in a few months too, I bailed from the company all together after that.

Another problem is managers openly speak amongst themselves in weekly meetings about employee matters which should be confidential! When I saw that it was a big red flag to me too. I only stayed with this company three years, won't be coming back.
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
Management ethics are very low
Great Job with a DOD contract employer.
Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Equipment Control Site (ECS) #33 Fort Riley, KSAugust 26, 2013
Loved working for L-3 Vertex Contract Field Team Systems. Loved my job as a Site Supervisor. Had the opportunity to hire the best workers in the area available. Did inherit some really good and not so good personnel. Learned a lot about the corporate life and how to deal with the hierarchy of business people. Company was well versed in all aspects of providing proper support to all customers. Started out at thebottom and worked up fast due to my past experience with the US Army active duty assignments and training. Hardest part about the job was balancing the performance of my personnel and working with Civil service Army reserve component personnel. Keeping my personnel in check with the advanced skills most of them had over thier government counterparts. Discilpline was also hard due to HR constraints and the labor laws. The most enjoyable part was having the highly skilled labor available to perform with great pride working on military equipment and having it ready for the Reserve units to use for training or real world situations we facced throughout the last 12 years.
Pros
great working atmosphere, great working co-workers, and once a year holiday gatherings.
Cons
animosity towards my personnel, for being paid more than the government workers, at least the first 5 years. and then being laid off.
T1 COMBS Randolph AFB position is horrible!
T1A COMBS Engine mechanic (Former Employee) –  Randolph AFB, TXAugust 21, 2014
Absolutely the worst job I've had with L-3. I've worked for L-3 before at other locations, and it's been great. However, the "aircraft mechanic" position with T-1 COMBS on Randolph AFB was the worst job experience Ive had with the company. First of all once your hired you'll quickly find out that there aren't any aircraft to work on. The position is basically a supply job and very little of what I did was aircraft related. On top of that, the pay the very low, in fact it's the lowest pay I've received as an experienced A&P mechanic and there is absolutely no overtime, I once got counseled for clocking in early. There also a lot of gossip there. After about a week working there I noticed that QA and the manager would often trash talk about the other employees there, very unprofessional for a manager to do that. On my very first day the COMBS manager told me that my supervisor was incompetent and "weird" and that i should try to avoid him. I personally don't like to talk about people behind their back and I chose to avoid getting into conversations with the QA and manager unless it pertained to work. As a result they made me feel unwelcome and uncomfortable at work. I began looking for another job the same week I started. Thank goodness I was able to find something else.
Cons
pay, work environment, co workers, managers
Started out good, ended horribly, WORST HR dept ever!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  KEO in Northampton, MAJune 17, 2014
I used to work at the location in Northampton, MA. When I started working there, I loved it. It was the type of job I had always wanted at a company that I "thought" was a good place to work. I was told by HR that it was a good place to move up and that if you worked hard it was easy to do within a few years. Long story short, after a year I applied for a job that I was already doing the work for(the girl had left and I was given all of her duties), never got interviewed and was turned down(I was the only person that had applied for the job inside the company). The job was given to another person outside of the company with less experience than I had. The ONLY enjoyable part of that job was I had some co-workers that I became friends with. The HR dept is useless, they don't help you at all. If you ask them for help 90% of the time you are given an 800# to call and they don't offer to help with anything. People never go to them for help or to report anything like harrassment because they know nothing will be done. Favortism is also extremely common. Also they took away yearly bonuses, so now the only way you get a bonus is if another person "nominates" you for doing a good job. If you want to actually enjoy your job and where you work, DON'T WORK HERE.
Cons
no support from hr, no annual bonuses, extreme favortism
Provides vital support to our military and federal government employees.
Help Desk - Level 1 - Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Fort Lee, VAMay 23, 2012
A typical day at work consist of answering phone calls,emails and web tickets for assistance with government computer systems. Trouble shooting and offering first level assistance for solutions. Escalating cases to the next level for assistance if necessary and logging all information into databases. I've learned a lot about computer systems and how the government uses them to manage all types of operations. Management supports the team but it is difficult sometimes to get resolutions due to the fact that we are contractors and everything has to be approved by our company and the government. My co workers are very freindly and we all work well together. The hardest part about my job is working 12 am to 8am shift and working a lot of weekends but the best thing is the hours that I work is the time frame that we get the most calls from Afghanistan and other areas overseas due to the time difference. I feel like I'm giving back in some way to the people that fight for us when I can assist them with a problem they are having.
Pros
good work environment, certification, education assistance and reimbursement.
Cons
contract work, so there is no job stability.
Defficient safety cuture / incongruent managment values
safety representative (Former Employee) –  L-3 CS West - Salt Lake CityJuly 2, 2012
I worked at the L-3 CS West facility in Salt Lake City. No safety posters anywhere in the facility. The safety staff was admittedly unmotivated if not incompetently managed. The site had known safety issues and had been dinged three years in a row by corporate auditors but the safety department sat on their thumbs. Meanwhile, the site had on-going OSHA violations and no one was smart enough or motivated enough to fix the problem. I was told by two senior managers that even the site director apparently didn’t give a hoot about safety. A number of good-old-boys just ran their departments their way – with little care or attention to safety. Confronted, they basically said they didn’t care. The myriad employees went on with their work either not knowing, not caring about job safety, or perhaps perplexed by the utter lack of visible support for job safety. I experienced an entrenched, backward culture. Management seemingly rewarded for toeing the line – a quasi military culture that rewards good soldiers and squashes innovation and certainly inquiry. There was a palpable lack of creativity, initiative and professional knowledge in an environmental, health and safety department crippled by inept, and ineffective management.