L-3 Communications Employee Reviews

Found 2,076 reviews matching the search
teamlike atmosphere
Electro Mechanical Assembler (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 10, 2017
L-3 is an excellent company to work for with plenty of room for growth within the company. From what i could see when i was still there was plenty of placed you could transfer into if you wanted a change of scenery without leaving the company. I left for reasons unrelated to the job or company.
Airline servicer
Aircraft Line Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDJune 10, 2017
My position was with a government contract. L3 no longer holds that contract. Working under L3 was a great experience and they took good care of their employees. Retirement plan was excellent. Managers were excellent.
L3 is a great company to work for.
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYJune 9, 2017
L3 is a great company to work for. They offer competitive benefits including tuition reimbursement. The company works hard to keep employee moral up.
"Changes are coming..."
Previous employee (Former Employee) –  Londonderry, NHJune 9, 2017
Change and transparency are needed within this silo-type organization. An employee of 10+ years opinion: "Changes are promised, but never come to fruition..." The culture is political in nature, where management does not support and empower the lowly employee. L3 fails to nurture and train current employees to grow within the organization. Instead, a pattern exists where management would rather 'let go' of human capital it deems as 'too pricey' and then a few months later, replenish with new employees (most are temps). A pattern of several years of fire/hire...
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Stressful environment
Great place to work.
Vehicle Servicer/Asst. Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Kingsville, TXJune 6, 2017
Safety oriented company except when profits were more important.
Usually worked 7am - 3pm M-F. Paid Holidays and vacation & sick accrual. Enjoyed working with most co-workers; however, always some that try to pretend to be working more than others.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Company didn't care about individuals
My coworkers were fabulous. The management was moved around too much, They didn't leave anybody in one place very long.
Material Management (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 6, 2017
I loved my job. It was sometimes difficult to function there because of the lack of communication. I did get the opportunity to work with and advance on a SAP System which rounded out my working knowledge.
A company that appears to be in a downward spiral.
Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Londonderry, NHJune 6, 2017
The division of L3 that I work for has reduced the total headcount several times while still expecting the same amount of work to be done, and I am not speaking about the assemblers as we have hard data that tells us what can be accomplished each day for a given number of people. I am talking about the mid-level managers having their normal workload doubled (or more) with zero additional compensation and zero reduction in the expectations from their superiors.
Pros
Cons
Unrealistic expectations
Friendly Workplace
Guard (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJJune 5, 2017
Its a worth keeping job. Competitive raise and benefits. Could have been better if they could offer more hours. Weekly pay checks. 401K benefits and stocks option for part timers.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Hours
Great place to work.
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXJune 5, 2017
Really don't have say anything about this company. Had very good supervisor, and project manager. Change locations when ak to. No problem was overlooked.
Pros
to easy
Great entry level for mechanics
Aircraft Structure Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Greenville, TXJune 4, 2017
As a new mechanic you get to learn the basics of blueprint reading, drilling and riveting at L-3 with proper mentor-ship. Sometimes you get thrust into a situation that you will have no idea what you're doing and end up messing up along the way. Management can be a little tough on newer employees especially if they are constantly messing up. But with proper training and having an older mechanic guiding you L-3 is a good company to work for.
Pros
Good learning experience
Cons
Sometimes management doesn't allow a new employee to learn long enough before setting them loose.
Army
Material Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 2, 2017
GREAT place to work with great benefits! Felt great knowing you worked on an army vehicle, made the correct decision when you thought a part was made wrong! Soilders weapons, medical bags, and other things I helped make!
Good place
Quality Engineer III (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 2, 2017
Budgetary sales impact causing engineering staff reduction. Expect them to rebound soon as market has been slow. All operations and technical staff was not impacted.
Fun job, terrible management
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Greenville, TexasJune 2, 2017
As an employee, it is quite stressful. In addition to the workload, there is a constant fear of being fired. When work on a project dies down, they tend to be creative in how to get rid of people; as firing is cheaper than laying off. To make matters worse, the management above most direct supervisors have a lot of pressure on them to meet impossible deadlines. Naturally, this rolls downhill. And then you get pressure from the other end: the union. They pressure you into joining the union because they are funded by union dues (from each member). They do provide the employee protection, but only if they are on the higher end of the pay scale (again, the interest is in the employees financial contribution to the union). Historically, the union also doesnt do very well in negotiating agreements with the company in terms of benefits. If you arent in the union, you still get the fruits of these agreements though.

With all that said, they do have opportunities to pursue interesting jobs and the compensation is fair. Additionally, the benefits are decent as well. Longevity is not something I would bank on here, but it is a good starting position to get into the field.
Very flexible schedule, and very good pay
Senior Test Technician (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJune 2, 2017
Typical workday was from 6:30AM to 3:30PM Mon-Fri.
I leaned display products for Aircraft which I enjoyed.
Management needs to do a better job keeping employees in the know of .

The workplace employees were friendly and everyone spoke even early in the Morning.

The hardest part of the job was learning the ATPs, but wasn't that hard more so tedious.

most enjoyable part was the people, and the flexible schedule which gave me a life balance,
Pros
Great pay compensation, flexible schedule
Cons
short breaks, no room for advancement
World Class Carrier
Software Architect (Current Employee) –  Broomfield, COJune 1, 2017
World class carrier full of extremely intelligent people. There's always an opportunity to work on projects of scale and directly affect the course of business.
Pros
People and Technology
Cons
No money for vendor support, no forward momentum in career.
Stable company to work for
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 1, 2017
L3 has been a stable company to work for. They usually have a slow pace of work due to being a defense contractor. I was able to survive multiple recessions in that company. I left because the opportunities to develop in my career seemed to be up to chance and I was missing those chances. Your direct manager had little say over what opportunities you could take. It all depended on what projects were starting when your current project ended.
Ha
a person (Former Employee) –  jerseyJune 1, 2017
Went in for my interview and everything was going super. Recieved my offer letter discussed my qualifications and was all set. All of the sudden a new person takes over after I had spoken and mentioned some of my experience would be hard to verify due to jobs going out of business. The woman did not believe me and actually had gotten smart. Screw this place and this is why they are hiring for that same position only 3 months later!!
Subcontract Manager (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXMay 31, 2017
I loved my job at L3 in Waco for the 4+ years I was there. I worked with a lot of really great, smart people. Every day was a good day for me and I am thankful for my time here. I learned a lot and really appreciated all the experience. The only reason I left was because I had to move to another city.

I would recommend new leadership as management by fear doesn't really work. I feel like sometimes they try and steer people with fear and that is never as effective as trusting people and allowing them to grow and learn.
Pros
Great work/life balance, lots of PTO, great people
Cons
Management by fear, some people in positions because they know someone.
Same as Engility
Data Architect and DBA Support (Former Employee) –  Stump Neck, MDMay 30, 2017
L3 split off a small segment of their business and created a company called Engility. My responsibilities and experience at both were essentially the same.
Old school
Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 30, 2017
Good company with some great people working there. Management team is pretty arrogant and has fostered a culture of fear and uncertainty. If you are not part of the inner circle forget it. Always espousing latest management fads and goals while having complete inability to solve their fundamental problems. Nobody takes any risks for fear of repercussions so company stays stuck in past while competition leaves them behind. People who have been there for years are laid off and unceremoniously walked out the door with zero warning, no chance prepare or say goodbye, which is a great morale killer for those who remain.
Pros
Good pay, benefits, Some great people at the working level
Cons
Management, Culture, Environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at L-3 Communications. Our community is ready to answer.