L.A. Theatre Works is a non-profit organization whose mission is the production, preservation, and dissemination of plays on audio, featuring top actors from Hollywood and the stage. We provide wide access via our live local, national and international performances, national and international radio show, audio publishing and educational programs. More information is available at www.latw.org.
- Cast all live series, in-studio and tour shows, under supervision of Producing Director (in consultation with Director and Casting consultants, if instructed)
- Copy and send scripts to all actors and/or agents for consideration
- Create casting confirmation letters and contracts for all actors
- Liaise with actors, agents, managers regarding casting auditions
- Research any contractually-required travel for actors/directors/writers including hotel, car and per diem, book travel as directed
- Monitor and update website for casting changes. Provide timely updates on casting and potential changes to LATW and outside consultants for live series, in-studio and tour productions (Publicist, Tour Booking Agency, etc.)
- Keep current casting files of actors from agent submissions. Maintain casting headshot files and data.
- As assigned, attend local/national shows to keep track of new and potential talent
- Secure actors headshots in correct format and forward to graphics department
- Work with Producing Director to secure and renew all rights clearance for live, tour and in-studio plays
- As directed, keep current with what plays are produced and developed around the country. Request copies of scripts that have potential for live series, in-studio recordings, or tour. Attend playwright’s festivals, new works festivals and productions at other theatres, if needed
- Read solicited scripts as directed and give feedback to Producing Director, manage unsolicited script inquiries and returns, scout Samuel French and libraries for interesting material
- Obtain copies of plays that Producing Director requests, maintain file of possible future productions and LATW library
- As directed, work with agents regarding availability of rights
- Maintain rights information, contracts and scripts in production files and database
- Reformat script submissions to standardized format, if required
- Create live series and tour programs: gather and input all bios, program notes and play summary, ads, staff page, current donor page, etc. Ensure program deadlines are established and enforced, in consultation with Box Office Manager & Tour Booking Agency
- As directed, consult on script breakdown and character-doubling by cast
- As directed, proofread all materials leaving the office with credits information including audio CD covers, email blasts, website copy/graphics and season brochure.
- Send thank you letters and complimentary CD recordings to actors/director/etc.
- General assistance to the Producing Director as needed
Other duties as may be assigned: L.A. Theatre Works provides a dynamic working environment in which duties and responsibilities may change. Employees are expected to be flexible and responsive to changes the scope of their duties.
- College degree in theatre, English or other related degree preferred
- Candidates with a lesser degree may be considered if they have extensive equivalent work experience.
- 3 - 5 years casting and rights management experience in professional theatre or entertainment organization. Familiarity with AFTRA, Samuel French, DPS, and author licensing contracts highly desirable.
- Proficiency in Word and Excel required; database experience desirable.
- Superior project and managerial skills; ability to drive and prioritize multiple projects.
- Knowledge of social media and internet marketing highly desirable.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Please include resume, cover letter and salary requirements. No phone calls please.