L.A. County Office of Education Employee Reviews in United States

Great place
ADMINISTRATIVE SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Downey, CaliforniaApril 29, 2013
I worked for LACOE ten years and enjoyed mostly every second of it. I grew professionally and made great friends. I expanded my translation abilities and learned about the world of special education and client rights. At Head Start I expanded my knowledge of information technology; worked with a great team and management staff.

Hardest part of the job was being assigned to too many tasks that did not interrelate such as duties as an administrative secretary and help desk operator. However, the challenge allowed me to increase my flexibility.

I loved working at LACOE.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
reductions caused excessive work loads for all staff
Productive, fun place, busy, good environment
SENIOR SCHOOL CLERK (Former Employee) –  LAKEVIEW TERRACE, CAFebruary 29, 2012
I worked here for almost a year, during all that time I had no problems with the management or the staff...Everyone is fun, nice, and friendly.
Pros
birthday parties every month, many free lunches.
Great company to work for
Career Development Assistant, West L.A., CA (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 6, 2012
This is a great company to work for especially if your career goals are to be in education.
Not a good experience.......
Career Development Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 24, 2013
Management is very mediocre for this specific division. I am sure the rest of LACOE is not this way so this is only a review for the GAIN Division. A typical day would include repetitive work. The only valuable thing I learned was about the people I served. I met so many people with different obstacles and struggles and it felt good to be able to do something good for them such as getting them a job. However, management is is very mediocre, there is basically none. Co-workers are good, great people, of course there are some who have been there too long and need to go. There are unprofessional and incompetent people who were hired in the past and because they are backed by the union they cannot be fired no matter how unmotivated and unprofessional they have become. The hardest part of the job is... nothing. Everything is pretty easy, the job basically does itself minus the first week of orientation for the participants. The most enjoyable is probably meeting participants who really want to work and who find jobs. Those who have been through a lot and finally find something. Overall though, if you are expecting a challenging environment where you will thrive and move up... nope this division is NOT for you. If you hope to one day transition to other divisions of LACOE, good luck that is hard. This division is completely unrelated to anything else so the skills are basically NOT transferable not to mention the bad reputation that it has.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
culture, management, daily routine, no upward mobility.

4.5