L.L. Bean, Inc. Employee Reviews

One of the best companies to work for
Personalized Services Support (Former Employee) –  Freeport, MEFebruary 8, 2016
This company really takes care of its employees. They never expect you to overwork yourself. The management there shows appreciation every chance they get and very open to questions, suggestions, and just very friendly. They never expect you to do anything without compensation and the pay is pretty good as well.
Pros
various food, monetary, and recognition rewards for just doing your job, mandatory stretch breaks
Productive, easy-paced work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEFebruary 1, 2016
Very easy job for the pay you receive. If you're a CSR1 you are only responsible for placing orders, any additional problems you can transfer over. To save the customers time, if you're experienced then you can always look into problems the customer may have and help them as much as you can. Overall, it was one of the best jobs I've had, besides some of the negativity I'd get from CSR2's if I decided to introduce a transfer call.
Fast paced and productive
Store Fulfillment Processor (Current Employee) –  Freeport, MEJanuary 27, 2016
The best part of this job was there was a schedule that allowed different jobs at any given time. The hardest part of the job was knowing that it was only a seasonal position.
Pros
No repetiveness
Flexible Work Schedule
Customer Service Representative II (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 12, 2016
Great company to work for. They truly want you to succeed and to provide exceptional customer service. You have all of the resources at your finger tips for this to happen.
great job
Low bay Picking, Wavesort (Former Employee) –  Freeport, MEJanuary 1, 2016
great people, loved working every day. job atmosphere was great, benefits are awesome. coworkers were good, supervisors were fun.
Seasonal
Seasonal Picker (Former Employee) –  Freeport, MEDecember 16, 2015
Hard to get into the company full time. Positive work atmosphere.
Stretch breaks. Go home early for low work most weeks.
Pros
positive work atmosphere
Cons
low chance of being hired on
Productive and positive work environment
Lead Picker/Wave Sort/WIP/Support (Current Employee) –  Freeport, MEDecember 15, 2015
Seasonal job at Beans hence the 2 star on compensation and benefits since seasonal's don't actually get any besides access to the gym/E-store (which are both are admittedly fantastic) and 401k. Besides that its one of the best places i've worked for, they treat you like a person and have management specifically for your personal status and well being. The work although repetitious can be varied and different if you apply yourself and show interest in cross training into other areas which they strongly encourage.
Pros
Access to Employee Store, Free Gym, good discount at store
Cons
no benefits, hours are based on sales
Productive and enjoyable
Quality Assurance (Current Employee) –  Freeport, MEDecember 7, 2015
The typical day at work includes many items to inspect and measure items for sale to the public. I learned a lot about quality and standards that LL Bean requires of there vendors. The most enjoyable part of this job is knowing the customer will be happy with the product.
Pros
Enjoyable workplace
Cons
Seasonal job
A good place to work.
Stitcher (Current Employee) –  Brunswick, MENovember 27, 2015
A good place to work. The benefits are very nice and the people are good to work with. The supervisors are also good to work with.
productive work environment
Outdoor Representative (Current Employee) –  Mansfield, MANovember 17, 2015
I learned how to use JPOS and FES systems. My co-workers were always very nice and understanding. I really enjoyed learning about products and interacting with customers.
Unless you're a 'Beaner' you won't survive
Senior Programmer/Annalyst (Former Employee) –  Freeport, MENovember 17, 2015
If you don't know what a 'Beaner' is, then you better find out before you go there. It's a wonderful culture looking in, but if you don't embrace that totally, then you'll be an outsider. They are brutal if you don't fit in. I didn't fit in. I'm a senior level and I voice my opinion. They don't like that - or at least a truthful critique of anything. Ultimately, my reviews went from outstanding to marginal to probation in less than a month and out the door in another 2. I found out later that I was outsourced by 3 Costa Rican 23 year olds. Terrific.
Pros
awful culture
Cons
awful culture
Positive environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  South Windsor, CTNovember 15, 2015
Positive work environment, very high speed pace, management is as supportive as they can be for a company as large and expanding as this one. Coworkers strive to help each other in anyway.
Fantastic organization and wonderful place to work
Customer Service Representative I (Former Employee) –  Portland, MENovember 10, 2015
Seasonal call center positions are appreciated. They treat their seasonals as well as their year round employees. It is a great place to work
Pros
Christmas bonus', discount on products and E-store
Cons
3rd shift work
call center
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEOctober 30, 2015
knew i was temp seasonal, but the last 2 wks they want you there 40 hours per week. evening knowing you have another job. Should pay big bucks for people would want to come back yearly.
Best company to work for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEOctober 26, 2015
They treat their employees very well. There are unlimited resources for assistance. Everyone there is very nice. 100% customer satisfaction oriented.
Fun, and Flexable
Customer Care/ Sales (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEOctober 18, 2015
Flexible scheduling, and fun place to work, temp services thou. But good for a second source of income during the busy season
Stuffy corporate, zero creativity, opinions are not valued, conformity is required
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Freeport, MEOctober 13, 2015
I am a web-based developer with 10+ years experience.

I worked as a contracted front-end developer, very much below my skill level but was interested in the reputation of this company. I found the workplace very frustrating because while there is strong talk about producing "good code" there is very little follow up due to business requirements having priority over programmer expertise.

"Current state" is judged as the gold standard, allowing very little opportunity to make strides toward a better codebase or process. "Outside the box" thinking is not only not allowed, it is actively discouraged.

As a very conservative company, there is zero room to make changes to existing problematic systems. Off the shelf products and third party vendors are given priority and limit the potential of local developers. Local developers end up supporting endless incompatible third party systems.

The work environment is very friendly and the people are good to work with however. Very easy-going until problems occur, in which time the lack of distributed knowledge quickly becomes problematic. Very large portions of technical programs are dependent on very few people. While there is endless talk about moving away from this obviously flawed process, no progress was ever made in my ~1 year contract.

Meetings cripple productivity. Their frequency and length make actual work almost impossible. Preparedness is an issue here also. Meetings are scheduled without consideration for the problem trying to be solved, resulting in the wrong attendees present, and subsequent additional meetings
  more... once it's been identified. This was an endless cycle while I was there.

The workflow is extremely slow, much slower than any workplace I've ever been involved with before... and I've worked for government in the past. There is a lot of hurry up and wait.

There is a legitimately strong importance placed on getting outside and being healthy, this is easily the strongest point in favor of this workplace. The work/life balance was great. Pay was competitive for the area, but low by national standards.

My daily work was fairly boring, with very low requirements. I constantly asked for more/higher level work. It never came. Full time employees constantly complained about lack of time and wanting to have more developers on projects. There is an endless revolving door of contract workers.

There is an accountability problem in this workplace where no one is directly responsible for anything. Work that doesn't get done is brushed under the corporate rug. Status update meetings gloss over facts and rely on spinning results in positive light. No changes to resolve obvious problems are attempted and rarely even addressed.

My contract was extended several times while I was there and eventually I declined to continue due to these reasons. I don't see this company as one that offers any future for software-centered people. While it's constantly praised for being a top workplace, the tech side of things is definitely not. I would not recommend this workplace to anyone searching for a development position of any kind. Other departments appear to not have these problems, especially business, product development, retail and operations.
Pros
friendly, good work/life balance, healthy
Cons
technology is out of date, processes are awful, changes are slow to non-existent, accountability
The golden rule of customer service
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Lewiston, MEOctober 13, 2015
I have literally been trained by the best in customer service and their long standing customer guarantee. Basically treat your customers the way you would like to be treated. Along with this the company is awesome to work for, there is a true sense of team spirit from the top to the bottom. The golden rule applies within the company as well. They offer a very flexible schedule as well as top pay. I had the opportunity to work from home as a home agent, which has been a win win for the company as well as the employees.
Pros
flexible schedules, employee perks
I love the people of L.L.Beans, can't get better co-workers anywhere
Pack support/Packer (Former Employee) –  Freeport, MESeptember 29, 2015
It is prestigious to have a job at L.L.Beans. It is my greatest hope, as I Love the people I have worked with; that they receive an entirely new attitude of respect from the administration. Respect for their lives, and happiness. It is cruel to have to compete for a shift on the internet, getting 2 days a month in May, hoping for a shift to show up, being unavailable to take other part time work. Simply cruel. The motto of Beans is "treat the customer like a human being," Treat your employees as human beings!

I still love Beans, I will always be so proud to say that I have been a part of Maine by being part of Beans.
Very health oriented in the call center.
Seasonal Call Center Customer Rep (Former Employee) –  Portland, MESeptember 25, 2015
LL Bean is a great company. They have their seasonal work program down pat and are extremely efficient. The call center floor is a designed to promote a casual and friendly work-space so that it is easier to concentrate on the customer needs. Training is designed to have many ventricles of product information available to accommodate the variety of circumstances when information is needed.
Pros
Clean, health oriented, fun!
Cons
It is difficult to get a permanent position.

4.2