L.L. Bean, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Great Company
Stock Planning Clerk (Former Employee) –  OFC - FreeportFebruary 23, 2016
I was able to have a job that I went to work and did my job with the knowledge that I knew what I was doing and did not need to have someone watching what I was doing all the time. Great Company to work for, excellent salary, room for advancement in certain areas. The people are the best and most fun to work with. Knowing the information I was using was basically guess work and I had to make determinations from this. The people were the most enjoyable part of the job. Everyone was so knowledgeable.
Pros
great salary
Cons
management changes
Awesome company, poor management, boring work
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTFebruary 24, 2016
L.L. Bean as a corporate entity is supposed to be pretty green and environmental. The Burlington, VT location is far from it: we threw out whole trashcans of plastic wrappings and bags in the regular trash compactors. We tossed quality 3 items in the normal trash as well. it didn't sit right with me.
Some of the coworkers were cool to work with. My managers were pretty bad though. They were always stressed out even when nothing was happening. They seemed to have a vendetta against me. I did my job well, yet I was slowly weaned off the schedule until I didn't work for a month and was forced to find another job. This continued until six months later and I STILL didn't officially know if I was fired, and had to go in and terminate my employment. Very unprofessional.
The job itself was fine during the holiday seasons, otherwise it was the most boring job I have ever had. No one shopped there except in November-December, and yet I would be expected to find something to do like fold a whole wall of clothing that was immaculate from the day before.
Pros
Employee discount, great employee dress discount, awesome customers
Cons
Management, slow work
One of the best companies to work for
Personalized Services Support (Former Employee) –  Freeport, MEFebruary 8, 2016
This company really takes care of its employees. They never expect you to overwork yourself. The management there shows appreciation every chance they get and very open to questions, suggestions, and just very friendly. They never expect you to do anything without compensation and the pay is pretty good as well.
Pros
various food, monetary, and recognition rewards for just doing your job, mandatory stretch breaks
Productive and positive work environment
Lead Picker/Wave Sort/WIP/Support (Current Employee) –  Freeport, MEDecember 15, 2015
Seasonal job at Beans hence the 2 star on compensation and benefits since seasonal's don't actually get any besides access to the gym/E-store (which are both are admittedly fantastic) and 401k. Besides that its one of the best places i've worked for, they treat you like a person and have management specifically for your personal status and well being. The work although repetitious can be varied and different if you apply yourself and show interest in cross training into other areas which they strongly encourage.
Pros
Access to Employee Store, Free Gym, good discount at store
Cons
no benefits, hours are based on sales
Seriously talented and challenging
Operations Manager, Liquidations (Former Employee) –  Freeport, MEFebruary 24, 2016
LLB is a conservative family owned business that marches to it's own beat. Culturally, its a mix of highly tenured employees sprinkled with sprites of silver spooned hipsters. All and all, a great place to work.
Pros
Great Benefits and High Standards
Cons
Competitive in every sense of the word, maybe to a fault
A great company to work for, but...
Seasonal Customer Service Representative I & II (Former Employee) –  Bangor, ME Contact CenterMay 17, 2016
Overall, I really enjoyed working at L.L. Bean. By all accounts I was an excellent employee; I had great reviews and customer service awards from the quality department, and I also had a lot of customer compliments. Even so, I worked seasonally for several years, but was never offered regular employment. I was a CSR2 every year I was there, but still could not make the grade. Apparently, the only thing I wasn't excellent at was selling the L.L. Bean Visa card. Personally, I don't think that should have outweighed all of my other qualifications when being considered for regular employment. That being said, I loved everything else about working at Bean's, and I would still be working there if the Bangor call center had not been closed.
Pros
Flexible schedule, great staff
Cons
Efforts not often rewarded, too much emphasis on selling the L.L. Bean Visa
Unless you're a 'Beaner' you won't survive
Senior Programmer/Annalyst (Former Employee) –  Freeport, MENovember 17, 2015
If you don't know what a 'Beaner' is, then you better find out before you go there. It's a wonderful culture looking in, but if you don't embrace that totally, then you'll be an outsider. They are brutal if you don't fit in. I didn't fit in. I'm a senior level and I voice my opinion. They don't like that - or at least a truthful critique of anything. Ultimately, my reviews went from outstanding to marginal to probation in less than a month and out the door in another 2. I found out later that I was outsourced by 3 Costa Rican 23 year olds. Terrific.
Pros
awful culture
Cons
awful culture
Fun workplace with great perks
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEMarch 17, 2016
I worked here in the call center seasonally. The perks are fantastic. Access to the Employee Store (Jeans for a quarter? Heck yeah!), Equipment rental, Employee appreciation events. I was hired late September for their holiday season and from September thru about mid November I averaged about 16-20 hours a week, but from Black Friday until about Dec 23rd I had full time hours. Scheduling is VERY flexible, and even if you need time off last minute you can put your shift up for grabs and it'll almost certainly be covered immediately. That being said, it is very easy to also pick up hours if you'd like more. This job is really what you want it to be; part time, full time, etc.
Pros
Employee Store, Laidback Environment, Free lunches weekly
Fun place to work
CSR (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEFebruary 21, 2016
Great customer service and a genuine concern for employees and customers. Benefits and starting wages are decent. Perks are great such as low-cost, on-site fitness center and fitness classes like Yoga and Zumba. Flexibility to an extent hours-wise. Nice people.
Pros
Great perks
Cons
micromanaged time-wise, not much freedom or flexibility in job requirements
hmmmm
2nd Shift Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Freeport, MEMarch 30, 2016
it was an experience dealing with the epitome of middle management and first time leadership....i did enjoy the physical nature of the job but for the pay and the drive it was not worth it if i was scheduled for less the three shifts
Great team of like-minded individuals
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Freeport, MEJuly 2, 2016
A great opportunity to work with a motivated team with similar interests. The company I worked for didn't only provide a job but friends, chances to learn something new, and a lifestyle of positive changes.

The job description was accurate to the work I was asked to do. When going above and beyond there were many different ways of being recognized. I never felt under appreciated.
Pros
Many chances to get rewarded for hard work
Cons
Long sleeve uniform and pants can get hot
Exciting environment for indoors and outside adventures
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  North Conway, NHFebruary 12, 2016
As the outlet is located in the White Mountains and within an extremely popular, year-round recreational area, the store remains a busy place. The top priority of each day involves providing excellent customer service, keeping the store tidy and well-stocked, obtaining and sharing product experience and maintaining a fun environment. It takes time and experience keep track of and expand your product knowledge of the rotating selection of clothing, outerwear, footwear, equipment and other items. The best part of the job is helping people become more knowledgeable and comfortable with their purchases to allow them to enjoy their experiences - both inside, around the towns and in the outdoors.
CSR! and CSR 2 during holiday (Current Employee) –  Lewiston, MEMay 10, 2016
Great Training for any position,assures that everyone;s work station is ergonomically set for them, good environment, company puts customer service as priority with training and having reps available for assistance for questions, assures systems have the tools to work with so as to make it easy to assist customer; and treats its employees well.
Pros
Celebrations as holidays and company recognition for outstanding employees
Worked here for years and enjoyed the opportunities it offered me.
Employment Admin II (Former Employee) –  Freeport, MEJuly 19, 2016
I held many seasonal temporary leadership positions in the call centers where I was a regular employee. I enjoyed the opportunities and it helped grow my leadership abilities. I especially enjoyed working in the employment office. The people were great and it was fun!
Pros
Many opportunities
Cons
The opportunities were mostly seasonal.
An Organization That Values Great People and Hard Work!
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Freeport, MEApril 11, 2016
A typical day picking customer orders in the Order Fulfillment Center is intense. The pace is fast, it's great because the sky's the limit,every day is a new chance to further exceed performance goals!

What I learned last season was to remember I'm also an LL Bean customer and how confident I am that my order is correct and I receive it quickly. My department and myself play a key role in making sure every customer can continue to have that confidence.

Our leaders do a great job of keeping us updated and they're always available and approachable,they promote excellence.

I'm lucky to have such a great team. Everyone seems to understand that when we work together our customers benefit.

The hardest part of the job is also the most fun to me. Even when one is exceeding expectations there's always strategies to improve performance whether it's navigating the floor more efficiently and/or reducing the time between assignments.

The most enjoyable part of the day is each time I empty my hopper, knowing those items are going to happy LL Bean customers!
Pros
Camaraderie and perks like the employee store and the discount
Cons
occasional downtime, we like to work:), nobody's fault though
Great products, great people, but long-term temporary position
Customer Service, Goodheart responder (Former Employee) –  Freeport, MESeptember 15, 2015
I started at L. L. Bean at a register check-out person an was promoted to the main Customer Service desk with 2 months. The working environment was fun, though stressful, and I had many good experiences with my co-workers and customers. I worked full-time, 40 hours per week, but was kept at temporary status with no benefits because the person I was replacing, a regular employee himself, had been asked to go to the training team and so his position could not be filled. I enjoyed the work, the surroundings, and took advantage of the employee discount on more than one occasion.
Pros
Great people, fun work
Cons
Long-term temporary position, stressful
Stuffy corporate, zero creativity, opinions are not valued, conformity is required
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Freeport, MEOctober 13, 2015
I am a web-based developer with 10+ years experience.

I worked as a contracted front-end developer, very much below my skill level but was interested in the reputation of this company. I found the workplace very frustrating because while there is strong talk about producing "good code" there is very little follow up due to business requirements having priority over programmer expertise.

"Current state" is judged as the gold standard, allowing very little opportunity to make strides toward a better codebase or process. "Outside the box" thinking is not only not allowed, it is actively discouraged.

As a very conservative company, there is zero room to make changes to existing problematic systems. Off the shelf products and third party vendors are given priority and limit the potential of local developers. Local developers end up supporting endless incompatible third party systems.

The work environment is very friendly and the people are good to work with however. Very easy-going until problems occur, in which time the lack of distributed knowledge quickly becomes problematic. Very large portions of technical programs are dependent on very few people. While there is endless talk about moving away from this obviously flawed process, no progress was ever made in my ~1 year contract.

Meetings cripple productivity. Their frequency and length make actual work almost impossible. Preparedness is an issue here also. Meetings are scheduled without consideration for the problem trying to be solved, resulting in the wrong attendees present, and subsequent additional meetings
  more... once it's been identified. This was an endless cycle while I was there.

The workflow is extremely slow, much slower than any workplace I've ever been involved with before... and I've worked for government in the past. There is a lot of hurry up and wait.

There is a legitimately strong importance placed on getting outside and being healthy, this is easily the strongest point in favor of this workplace. The work/life balance was great. Pay was competitive for the area, but low by national standards.

My daily work was fairly boring, with very low requirements. I constantly asked for more/higher level work. It never came. Full time employees constantly complained about lack of time and wanting to have more developers on projects. There is an endless revolving door of contract workers.

There is an accountability problem in this workplace where no one is directly responsible for anything. Work that doesn't get done is brushed under the corporate rug. Status update meetings gloss over facts and rely on spinning results in positive light. No changes to resolve obvious problems are attempted and rarely even addressed.

My contract was extended several times while I was there and eventually I declined to continue due to these reasons. I don't see this company as one that offers any future for software-centered people. While it's constantly praised for being a top workplace, the tech side of things is definitely not. I would not recommend this workplace to anyone searching for a development position of any kind. Other departments appear to not have these problems, especially business, product development, retail and operations.
Pros
friendly, good work/life balance, healthy
Cons
technology is out of date, processes are awful, changes are slow to non-existent, accountability
great job
Low bay Picking, Wavesort (Former Employee) –  Freeport, MEJanuary 1, 2016
great people, loved working every day. job atmosphere was great, benefits are awesome. coworkers were good, supervisors were fun.
always making sure all are happy
Sales (Current Employee) –  Lewiston, MEJune 16, 2016
from your co workers to the customers, everyone seems to always be positive and in a good mood. your calls are sometimes monitored and they will pull you aside to let you know you are doing a great job or if there is anything you need to work on. best part of the day is having met all the customers needs.
Good Job
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYJune 8, 2016
The hours were very flexible just needed to let manager know well in advance. The employee discount is very beneficial and coworkers were so kind and always wiling to help new employees.
Pros
flexible schedule and kind employees
Cons
not a very busy store so it was fairly slow

Ask a question about working or interviewing at L.L. Bean, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2