The industry leader in developing and providing students and adults with the online tools to explore careers and explore, plan, and apply to colleges and universities, is seeking a Senior Software Developer to join their Culver City team. The company pioneered the development of the electronic college application, the electronic transcript, and Internet-based student management systems enabling students to apply to college online.
The Position: Reporting to the Director of Technology, the Senior Software Developer is responsible for application development across all product lines. This includes having an understanding of business requirements as well as the underlying system architecture in order to implement application-level features. This professional will work as a member of a development team that will improve tools and processes to maximize efficiency, and meet deadlines.
The Responsibilities: Agile, customer-focused (both internal and external) software development is critical to maintaining our position as a market leader. While not all-inclusive, specific responsibilities in this role include:
- Work with product management to understand product direction
- Improve product quality by helping implement and maintain unit testing and automated build processes
- Fix product defects and troubleshoot production issues
- Work effectively with a remote development team, as needed
- Work with analysts, team members, and stakeholders to understand and document software requirements, ensuring applications are developed according to specifications.
- Plan, analyze, design, implement, maintain and support company's software applications and websites
- Produce scalable, robust, high-quality code and help ensure best practices are being applied in terms of application design, coding, and overall development work
- Identify opportunities, make recommendations, and implement system performance/optimization and enhancements
- Work independently with minimal supervision and provide leadership and mentoring to associate software engineers
- Communicate technical issues or project details to Team Manager and Technical teams
- Must master following technologies and concepts:
.NET Framework 2.0 +
SQL Server 2005+
OO, SOA, n-tier architecture
relational databases/data modeling
classic Web Services (ASMX)
SVN and TFS
Education: Bachelor's degree in a computer- related field and/or three (3) years of equivalent experience in computer science, programming and Web development is required.
Experience: The following experience would also be beneficial:
- Strong skills in ASP.Net, C#, SQL Server and OOP combined programming experience. ASP Classic and VB Script is a plus
- Experience with complex SQL queries and database schema design
- Experience with unit testing (nunit or mstest); hands-on TDD is a plus
- Experience working in a collaborative team environment using tools like issue trackers (Fogbugz) and version control software (Subversion and TFS)
- Knowledge of WCF, MVC, SOA, XML/SOAP, JAVA, JSP, J2EE, Oracle
- Experience with CMS systems like Umbraco or DNN is a plus
Qualities and Attributes: The professional in this role must possess a "can do" customer service-focused demeanor that will contribute to the timely and robust delivery of client solutions and new products. The professional in this role will possess the ability to analyze and define problems, prioritize work flow, multitask, meet deadlines, and remain flexible. He/she will also possess excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills and maintain confidentiality, when appropriate. A stable work history and the ability to collaborate effectively, is a must.
The Company: Our company is the industry leading Technology Company that develops and provides students and adults with the online tools to explore careers and explore, plan and apply to colleges and universities. The company pioneered the development of the electronic college application, the electronic transcript, and Internet-based student management systems enabling students to apply to college online. We process more than 4 million electronic college applications, and 1.5 million electronic transcripts annually making it the largest provider of these services in North America. Our products are used by more than 900 colleges and universities and more than 8,000 middle and high schools in the United States and Canada and several other countries around the world.
This is a full-time in-house position. We offer 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, LTD, life insurance, FSA, 401(k) with matching, paid time off with rollover, flextime, and a competitive salary.