LA Fitness Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,399 reviews matching the search
Fun work place
Master Trainer (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 24, 2016
I enjoyed working here and really learned a lot during my time here. The majority of the co-workers were friendly and very helpful I really clicked with the clients and saw great improvement in their health as well as attitude about what they could accomplish.
Pros
Working with clients
Cons
Salary
The Janitor
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  Crescent Springs, KYAugust 23, 2016
I always got up at 3 to arrive there at 5 in the morning. My co-worker and I would always start in the restrooms to clean. When the gym opened we would move into the rest of the gym, cleaning the open machines and the side rooms. I really learned here how to clean and how to use this athletic equipment. The management works very hard at their job and are knowledgeable about the gym. My co-workers work right with me at all times. We make sure that everything is done complete and right. The hardest part of the job would have to be getting this enormous ladder out to do the windows in front of the gym. The most enjoyable part for me, where I can take it easy is using the pushbroom in the gym.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Non
Zumba Instructor
Zumba Instructor (Current Employee) –  New JerseyAugust 22, 2016
Being a Zumba Instructor can be fun at times, but when management basically forces you to sub a class that you either cant or don't want to it gets annoying. I personally sub the classes I know I am able to go without a problem.I go and teach my scheduled classes and when I know I won't be able to, I put them up for request ahead of time.
A typical day of work is basically to go and connect my iPod and start dancing while exercising at the same time. I do that for 1 hour. Others instructors are very good people and help out when they are available because most of them have a regular Monday thru Friday full time job.
The hardest part of the job is to go and put up a smile and make pretend nothing is going on with your personal life (well I think that's the hardest part on every job). The most enjoyable part is when I see people smiling, sweating and enjoying the class.
Pros
Im able to go to Drs app. with my kids or for myself, They also watch my kids for the hour that I do the Zumba class.
Cons
The payment is way too low. Instructors leave because of it.
a great group of people to work with.
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Harbor City, CA 90710August 19, 2016
When going into work, I was greeted with a smile and then i would clock in. Make my rounds around the gym and making sure gym area was clean and also safe. The hardest part of the job was cleaning sauna and the best part was having a free pass for the gym.
Pros
free pass.
Cons
not a flexible schdule.
Fun work place for an athletically inclined individual.
Sales Counselor (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CA 92507August 18, 2016
Very tedious work, but can be lucrative. Work alot of hours and always trying to get leads in order to be successful. Upward mobility is based on sales output and availability.
Discrimination
Not hired (Former Employee) –  ArkansasAugust 17, 2016
The clubs in central arkansas discriminate racially and figuratively in their hiring practices. Doesn't matter if you have knowledge and experience in the industry.
Pros
Cheap prices
Cons
To many to name
Very busy and high traffic environment
General Manager/Personal Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYAugust 16, 2016
*At the beginning of shift we had to confirm all appointments that were made.

* set up tables and areas where we would get referrals from existing members for potential new members
Goal oriented sales environment
Senior Sales Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAAugust 16, 2016
Constantly setting and breaking goal requirements, learned how to manage a team of about three or four people, marketing while meeting new people, providing best customer service .
Pros
Working with people
Cons
Productive and first experience as a free lancer
Freelance (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 16, 2016
I was able to learn on my own on how the real world would be with knowing how to charge, my time in when to finish, knowing exactly what my client wanted and most importantly to enjoy my work. I learned many thing such as not over thinking and definitely not failing yourself.
Fun environment, bad management
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZAugust 13, 2016
This company bought out the gym I had worked for previously and every manager I met and conversed with was very condescending and belittling of the workers who transferred over from the buyout. Their core values are based on sales rather than customer service and I received many customer complaints about my managers.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
poor management
great first experience for management/sales/customer relations position
Physical Trainer Counselor (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYAugust 10, 2016
This position is great as a first experience for management, sales, customer relations position. Looking for more team management/spirit and creativity and development.
fun and upbeat
Personal trainer (Former Employee) –  Havertown, PAAugust 9, 2016
LA fitness is a great company to work for if you into fitness. Its a company where you can grow in. The staff are great, they take pride and hiring the best.
Decent Vibe, but Impossible Expectations
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Collegeville, PAAugust 9, 2016
Days at work ranged from slow to extremely busy, depending on the time of the year. Although this job does have a lot of perks, in my experience the cons definitely outweigh the pros. Typically speaking, all value of character becomes irrelevant if your sales quota is not up to company standards. Reaching district as well as national averages becomes overwhelming and stressful. As a fitness professional who genuinely cares about other's well-being, it's easy to lose sight of trying to help member's reach their fitness goals, due to the overshadowing sales expectations.
Pros
Free membership, get to work in a gym, fun environment.
Cons
Sales expectations
good starter job
Member Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Centereach, NYAugust 8, 2016
Typical day of work conists of you coming in inspecting the gym to make sure it is clean, then doing the banking for the location and meeting with staff to set up work shifts and review performances. then you kick the day off by making billing phone calls to update credit card info on accounts to earn commission and dealing with customer complaints/issues that might pop up during the day. Ensuring all work orders are in for repairs to facility.

I've learned alot about the corporate world and managing multiple departments and alot of time management for myself and how to provide great customer service.

Hardest part of the day is dealing with sales representatives who might have lied to a member and finding a solution that will win back customer loyalty within guidelines

best part of the day is when you really get to help some one with an issue and you get the gratitude of a member
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
healthcare, unpaid lunch, only closed one day a year
Wonderful customer service
Sales Consultant/Front Desk Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDAugust 8, 2016
Fast paced work place
I learned to work with everybody
management was constantly changing
My Co-workers we are more like family
This place sucks
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  eastport plazaAugust 7, 2016
Honestly I don't know if it was just the facility that I worked in or if it is all of them but this was one of the worst jobs I have ever had. You get in trouble if you don't harass people to pay their bills. There is absolutely no chance to move up because of favoritism and my manger had his 2 favorite girls working all the hours. He handled problems horribly and didn't care about his employees whatsoever. The turn over rate of employees was also ridiculous. Good luck if you decide to work there.
Pros
Cons
Bad hours and pay
na
Pro Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXAugust 7, 2016
Easy going customer serviced based job. Low pressure and minimal responsibility. Great job for someone in college. They do have a sales side of it that is a much more sink or swim type of roll.
Fun, Calm place to work
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAAugust 5, 2016
I enjoyed working here while I did work there, and if I could have kept working there while in college I would have. It was great due to the location of the business and how diverse the community was. I met so many different people and enjoyed having conversations with everyone I met.
Fun work place and enjoyable professional experience.
Personal Training Director & Fitness Counselor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 5, 2016
A typical work day here consisted of making outbound calls and service calls to members of the gym in order to schedule a personal appointment to speak about the personal training department of the company and its benefits. I learned how to give great personal service, the management was very supportive, and I enjoyed my co workers. The hardest part of the job was selling expensive memberships and the most enjoyable part of the job was assisting people with personal workouts and creating health plans for the individual.
Not so employee friendly
CUSTOMER SERVICE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 4, 2016
The pro's of working at LA Fitness was being in management, and the amount of flexibility given. Additionally, the ability to train my clients the way that I saw fit, and not having to follow protocol. The con's of working there was upper management, and unstable working conditions.

2.7