La Rabida Children's Hospital Employee Reviews

Rat Race You Will Never Get Ahead ir Catch Up
Clinical Screener- IA Program (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 21, 2017
As a clinical screener you will work about 60-80 hours. No matter how hard you work you will never get ahead. Its essentially a rat race. You will have to constantly advocate for breaks and mealtimes on your field days as you don't make your own schedule.
You spend most of your time writing and receive the bare minimum training on how to write the report. Training is shadowing for a week or two if lucky. If you are hired during a busy time your training is less. And you could very well be on your own after shadowing one case. Because turnover is so high you shadow other new screeners who are still learning themselves.
Management is extremely inconsistent with training, feedback, and expectations so it is very difficult to rely on coworkers for guidance and support.
You will be exposed to a lot of trauma but depending on your supervisor it will depend on the quality of reflective supervision you will receive. Some focus more on writing and deadlines than processing cases with you or supporting you.
You don't have much flexibility in your writing, recommendations, or impressions as management likes things worded a certain way. Your clinical opinion doesn't matter as your manager has the final say in what ends up in your court report, even though you would be the person testifying. Management lightens up with time but the assumption is new screeners despite having a clinical license and years experience are incapable of having a solid clinical opinion in this program. If you are someone that feels strongly about your opinion, impressions, and recommendations than this program
  more... would not be right for you.
The contract with DCFS doesn't allow raises or overtime so there is very little incentive to go over and beyond, not that you will have much time anyways. Given that working 40 hours a week or less in IA is a rare luxury it can feel exploitive at times because it becomes painfully clear that DCFS takes advantage of screeners and La Rabida allows it. DCFS is well aware of the nature of the program and expenses involved which is why they contract it out. If they had state union employees in this position they would need 3x times the screeners they allow to contractors and would still have to pay out a ridiculous amount of overtime yearly. Because it is definitely not a 40 hour a week job, no where near as close. Since screeners aren't state union employees DCFS could care less and management at La Rabida will not advocate for better work conditions or support for their staff. Considering that La Rabida had this contract longer than any other agency in the state, you would think they would try to speak up to avoid burning out their staff and retaining more screeners. La Rabida could attempt to negotiate raises or bonuses for high performers in the program but they choose not too. They could also advocate for more screeners to balance the workload but they also choose not too. La Rabida is perfectly fine with allowing DCFS to take advantage of and exploit their employees, which is why the position is always posted. The program isn't expanding as the ad says, people are quitting because of burn out or emotional breakdowns. That is how stressful and difficult this position is.
Even though you are home based work life balance is difficult to impossible. You use your personal phone so nothing can stop a case worker or state employee from calling you off hours or on vacation.
Your caseloads can be ridiculous, you receive 1 case a week and if on vacation they assign extra cases to you as a set up, knowing full well you cannot meet your deadline, but the expectation and pressure remains. When you return, no one is supportive of the fact you were assigned extra cases on vacation.
Pros
Tons of free CEU options with DCFS and La Rabida, good benefits with La Rabida, connections made with state employees
Cons
Long hours, lack of flexibility in writing, training, feedback, managers, high turnover, very high burnout potential, case loads, expectations
good place to work with fun
Building Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 19, 2017
the typical at work was the time power pomp came in place when all the supporting equipment shut off including the medical air and vacuum air which the patient use for lives it took us about one hour before the generator came on which was due to transfer switch malfunctioning
Pros
free break fast
Cons
short breats
The prototypical mission oriented organization
Manager, Marketing and Research (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 12, 2017
This review is probably much to old to be relevant but if this organization is anything like it used to be then its full of passionate people who show up and do the right thing for the community that it serves every single day.
Excelent team work
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 22, 2017
This is a good job, but unfortunately it is far from my home address
The environment is a good one
The hardest part of the job is giving many instruction for more than three person at the same time.
Pros
Workplace culture
Cons
short breaks
excellent
Pediatric Emergency Room Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 11, 2017
I love my larabida family, we treat each other like a family.
treating the patient's are easier since the team communicates with each other effectively. overall I enjoy my time working in the facility
A great place to work, warm and friendly environment
Medical Biller (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 5, 2017
Wonderful place to work. Excellent medical facility for children with chronic illnesses. Medicla providers take great pride in giving families the highest quality level of care. Staff are warm and inviting, very friendly place to work.
Pros
nice learning and teaching facility
Cons
not much room for advancement
Inpatient hospital setting is positive and caring for children
Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 4, 2017
The insurance and retirement benefits are adequate. The hospital campus is beautiful and remodeled. Security is frequently visible and helpful. La Rabida is a good employment environment.
Warm Community of Care
Media Relations and Events Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 6, 2017
This is wonderful, purpose-driven hospital that advocates for children with special needs. It's the only hospital in the Chicago area that serves this population exclusively.
A conveinent and relax place to work .
Systems Data Analyst/Patient Financial (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 8, 2016
The surroundings are beautiful with a lake front view, the commute is ideal 15 minutes at the most. LaRabida is warm and friendly Childrens Hospital
Pros
Great Benefits, very diverse
Cons
Lunch and breaks combined
my day at work
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2016
My typical day at work consists of me making contact with clients to assure that their medical needs are met by coordinating services and transportation to and from medical appointments.
Pros
hours
Cons
no breaks
Very intimate setting, Friendly co-workers
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 1, 2016
This place is overall a good place to work. Upper management in my department doesn't always seem to be available, dramatic, and can be unfair at times. The supervisor is awesome....always professional and willing to work with employees. He does very well even being micro managed by director. The establishment is in a public park so crowds can get overwhelming during evening hours. The starting pay is real good for position and parking is always available. The hospital has only two levels so pretty easy to do rounds and checks. Part time/casual employees has no PTO accrual benefits or receive annual pay raises.
Pros
Parking, great starting pay, small hospital
Cons
No lunch/food available during evening/night hours, overwhelming crowds, unfair upper management
Productive place to work
EARLY INTERVENTION SERVICE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 24, 2016
A typical day at work involved coordinating a home visit with up to three therapists to evaluate a child 0-3 with suspected developmental delays.
I learned how to identify developmental delays such as Occupational, Speech, Physical, Developmental.
Management was supportive providing social emotional support due to some of the heart moving medical or social conditions of families.
My co workers were very knowledgeable and helpful; during a crunch of home visits some co workers would exchange home visits to accommodate schedules.
The hardest part of the job was scheduling therapists and receiving 6 month evaluations and timely reports. Separating from children/families who aged out of program.
The most enjoyable part of the job was taking the children books to read, DVD's for parents as children transitioned to head start to learn about the next development stage.
Pros
Helping families whose children progressed due to therapy provided.
Cons
Pay was not equivalent to the work provided.
All about the kids!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 1, 2016
If you enjoy working with children, this is a great place to spend 40 hrs a week. All of my co-workers are enjoyable, but the real perk is the lakefront setting. Nothing beats watching the sunrise from your desk every morning.
Integrated Screener position is challenging and rewarding
Clinical Screener (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 5, 2015
La Rabida has a contract with DCFS to conduct IA screenings. When I was with the program, the contract stipulated an annual salary with no raises or cost of living increases. If there was money left in the budget at the end of the fiscal year, you might get a bonus, but that was rare.
Training was okay; consisting mostly of shadowing experienced screeners, but due to the fact that the cases varied in complexity and each screener does things a little differently, you may not get exposed to the kinds of scenarios that you'll encounter when your on your own.
There can be a fair amount of travel involved. Even though La Rabida's territory is Cook County, a child taken into custody could be placed with a relative who lives way outside of Cook County.
Working with DCFS and Contract agency caseworkers can be dicey. Many DCFS caseworkers resent screeners because they would like to be screeners. DCFS contracts the program out because it would be very expensive to have DCFS union staff doing the job. So watch your back, they could make things difficult for you.
Assessments have to be completed within strict deadlines as mandated by law, so you have to bust your butt to meet deadlines. It is a work from home position, but you'll consistently work 60-70 hours a week if not more depending on your caseload.
There is generous paid time off, which is essential because the job is very stressful between handling the deadlines and being exposed to the trauma of children taken into custody. When you're on vacation, you're still assigned cases, which age while you're out, so you return to
  more... work behind the eight ball.
Coworkers are very supportive, but you primarily work alone, so there is minimal team interactive. Management functions primarily to keep you on task. You do get support, but I've never seen a supervisor jump in and take a case when our caseloads are off the charts, despite the fact that most supervisors were promoted from screeners.
Overall, if you enjoy working independently, can be flexible and manage stress well, this could be a good career move. But with what's going on with the state budget now, the work environment has to be exponentially more stressful.
Pros
Work from home, generous PTO.
Cons
Isolating, huge caseloads, relationships with state workers.
La Rabida Children's Hospital is an inspiring place to work.
Staff Physical Therapist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 4, 2014
Patients included a variety of inpatient and outpatient pediatric patients. This hospital has a great culture and it was a joy to work there.
Patient Service Volunteer
Patient Service Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Evergreen Park, ILJuly 26, 2014
Patient Service Volunteer, Summer 2005: Assisted medical and hospital staff by with food service delivery to patients; assisted x-ray technician in the disposal of old x-ray films; helped housekeeping staff by collecting laundry and performing light cleaning; assisted medical and hospital staff by visiting patient rooms and supervising organized patient activities. The most enjoyable part of the job was being open to new experiences and loving what your doing.
Calm and loving place to work
Office Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 8, 2014
The childrens hospital was a great environment sometimes I felt like a child some of the rooms are designed like a boat and the people and families are friendly.
Wonderful work environment
ADMITTING/REGISTRATION CLERK (Former Employee) –  CHICAGONovember 8, 2013
Patient family friendly place to work. My co workers were helpful to each across all dept.
A famous and highly reviewed place to work.
Consumer Advocate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 9, 2013
I had various responsibilities as a Consumer Advocate. One that I enjoyed the most was co-facilitating a support group made up of the caregivers of children and youth who had faced at least one trauma in their lives. Another was co-facilitating a multi- family intervention where we used games and story telling as part of the process of showing families where their strength lies. There were the clerical components where I would design flyers announcing events that we planned. Then there were the mailings that had to go out and follow-up phone calls. I did research to find resources such as food pantries or low cost medical that I could refer caregivers to. I attended and spoke at meetings and conferences on the topic of trauma and violence for instance. In this position I learned a lot about my self, my own strengths like public speaking and my ability to plan an event and carry out the steps necessary to make it happen. My co-workers were mostly social workers and psychologist who worked very diligently with children who had difficult lives. My co-workers were friendly and sociable people who treated me and each other with respect. I had supervisors who trusted me and respected me.
I Loved my time there but....
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago ILApril 8, 2013
After working there for 10 years with nothing less then excellent service reviews, they decide to restructure our dept. False - they just wanted to fire people with high salaries. I even submitted for the entry that won them the health care most wired award in the lobby.
The nurses run the show and most of the service departments are treated poorly in my experience. I felt like ever since the Past President of the hospital left, the environment suffered drastically. Shameful really. They let three of us go at once. All Caucasian and all middle aged all from Indiana too. I took my severance and went on my way but overall it was a slap in the face. I really loved fellow staff even most of the management. It is just the upper management that needs to be "restructured". The doctors are top notch however. They do amazing work Pharmacy and Radiology as well. IT Dept has two great workers in lower positions. That is about it. Overall I would recommend working there as a stepping stone and move on. No future long term.
Pros
fellow staff members, location during daylight hours
Cons
upper management, lack of hipaa security, location at night