La Rabida Children's Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Productive place to work
EARLY INTERVENTION SERVICE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 24, 2016
A typical day at work involved coordinating a home visit with up to three therapists to evaluate a child 0-3 with suspected developmental delays.
I learned how to identify developmental delays such as Occupational, Speech, Physical, Developmental.
Management was supportive providing social emotional support due to some of the heart moving medical or social conditions of families.
My co workers were very knowledgeable and helpful; during a crunch of home visits some co workers would exchange home visits to accommodate schedules.
The hardest part of the job was scheduling therapists and receiving 6 month evaluations and timely reports. Separating from children/families who aged out of program.
The most enjoyable part of the job was taking the children books to read, DVD's for parents as children transitioned to head start to learn about the next development stage.
Pros
Helping families whose children progressed due to therapy provided.
Cons
Pay was not equivalent to the work provided.
All about the kids!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 1, 2016
If you enjoy working with children, this is a great place to spend 40 hrs a week. All of my co-workers are enjoyable, but the real perk is the lakefront setting. Nothing beats watching the sunrise from your desk every morning.
Integrated Screener position is challenging and rewarding
Clinical Screener (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 5, 2015
La Rabida has a contract with DCFS to conduct IA screenings. When I was with the program, the contract stipulated an annual salary with no raises or cost of living increases. If there was money left in the budget at the end of the fiscal year, you might get a bonus, but that was rare.
Training was okay; consisting mostly of shadowing experienced screeners, but due to the fact that the cases varied in complexity and each screener does things a little differently, you may not get exposed to the kinds of scenarios that you'll encounter when your on your own.
There can be a fair amount of travel involved. Even though La Rabida's territory is Cook County, a child taken into custody could be placed with a relative who lives way outside of Cook County.
Working with DCFS and Contract agency caseworkers can be dicey. Many DCFS caseworkers resent screeners because they would like to be screeners. DCFS contracts the program out because it would be very expensive to have DCFS union staff doing the job. So watch your back, they could make things difficult for you.
Assessments have to be completed within strict deadlines as mandated by law, so you have to bust your butt to meet deadlines. It is a work from home position, but you'll consistently work 60-70 hours a week if not more depending on your caseload.
There is generous paid time off, which is essential because the job is very stressful between handling the deadlines and being exposed to the trauma of children taken into custody. When you're on vacation, you're still assigned cases, which age while you're out, so you return to
  more... work behind the eight ball.
Coworkers are very supportive, but you primarily work alone, so there is minimal team interactive. Management functions primarily to keep you on task. You do get support, but I've never seen a supervisor jump in and take a case when our caseloads are off the charts, despite the fact that most supervisors were promoted from screeners.
Overall, if you enjoy working independently, can be flexible and manage stress well, this could be a good career move. But with what's going on with the state budget now, the work environment has to be exponentially more stressful.
Pros
Work from home, generous PTO.
Cons
Isolating, huge caseloads, relationships with state workers.
La Rabida Children's Hospital is an inspiring place to work.
Staff Physical Therapist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 4, 2014
Patients included a variety of inpatient and outpatient pediatric patients. This hospital has a great culture and it was a joy to work there.
Patient Service Volunteer
Patient Service Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Evergreen Park, ILJuly 26, 2014
Patient Service Volunteer, Summer 2005: Assisted medical and hospital staff by with food service delivery to patients; assisted x-ray technician in the disposal of old x-ray films; helped housekeeping staff by collecting laundry and performing light cleaning; assisted medical and hospital staff by visiting patient rooms and supervising organized patient activities. The most enjoyable part of the job was being open to new experiences and loving what your doing.
Calm and loving place to work
Office Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 8, 2014
The childrens hospital was a great environment sometimes I felt like a child some of the rooms are designed like a boat and the people and families are friendly.
Wonderful work environment
ADMITTING/REGISTRATION CLERK (Former Employee) –  CHICAGONovember 8, 2013
Patient family friendly place to work. My co workers were helpful to each across all dept.
A famous and highly reviewed place to work.
Consumer Advocate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 9, 2013
I had various responsibilities as a Consumer Advocate. One that I enjoyed the most was co-facilitating a support group made up of the caregivers of children and youth who had faced at least one trauma in their lives. Another was co-facilitating a multi- family intervention where we used games and story telling as part of the process of showing families where their strength lies. There were the clerical components where I would design flyers announcing events that we planned. Then there were the mailings that had to go out and follow-up phone calls. I did research to find resources such as food pantries or low cost medical that I could refer caregivers to. I attended and spoke at meetings and conferences on the topic of trauma and violence for instance. In this position I learned a lot about my self, my own strengths like public speaking and my ability to plan an event and carry out the steps necessary to make it happen. My co-workers were mostly social workers and psychologist who worked very diligently with children who had difficult lives. My co-workers were friendly and sociable people who treated me and each other with respect. I had supervisors who trusted me and respected me.
I Loved my time there but....
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago ILApril 8, 2013
After working there for 10 years with nothing less then excellent service reviews, they decide to restructure our dept. False - they just wanted to fire people with high salaries. I even submitted for the entry that won them the health care most wired award in the lobby.
The nurses run the show and most of the service departments are treated poorly in my experience. I felt like ever since the Past President of the hospital left, the environment suffered drastically. Shameful really. They let three of us go at once. All Caucasian and all middle aged all from Indiana too. I took my severance and went on my way but overall it was a slap in the face. I really loved fellow staff even most of the management. It is just the upper management that needs to be "restructured". The doctors are top notch however. They do amazing work Pharmacy and Radiology as well. IT Dept has two great workers in lower positions. That is about it. Overall I would recommend working there as a stepping stone and move on. No future long term.
Pros
fellow staff members, location during daylight hours
Cons
upper management, lack of hipaa security, location at night
Very small cozy work environment, with easy access to management when needed.
RESPIRATORY CARE PRACTITIONER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 30, 2013
Working at La Rabida expanding my understanding of long term, chronic care pediatric needs. Before working here, my pediatric experience was primarily critical care at a very rapid pace. We have great interdepartmental interaction, share in learning experiences, and extensive opportunities to work closely with physicians and rotating residents.
Pros
located in a very beautiful lake setting, flexible scheduling, great benefits.
Cons
no dinner, low fat meals only, no parking ramp, lake effect weather.
loved working here
Lead Certified Pharmacy Technician/Purchaser (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 26, 2012
best job ever taking care of little people in such a critical moment in there lives
Pros
making the children happy
Cons
my position was not held for me for at least 6 not 4 weeks after childbirth
Great PTO Accural
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  ChicagoJanuary 15, 2012
LaRabida as a whole is not a bad place to work, but in certain departments it can be challenging.
Pros
they provide a generous pto accural rate
Cons
lack of appreciation in some areas, they do not provide a company match for their 403b, the merit increases are not good

La Rabida Children's Hospital Reviews by Location