LA VALENCIA HOTEL Employee Reviews in United States

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
poor management that don't care about employees
steward (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJune 30, 2014
a typical day of work consist on cleaning the kitchen, cleaning and stocking plates, taking the trash out and helping the chef and management on whatever they need.

management was poor and didn't care too much about employee safety.

co-workers were excellent.

the hardest part of the job was closing the kitchen because you had to deep clean everything and not make overtime so meeting the deadlines were crucial
Beautiful location to work, with La Jolla cove right behind the hotel and various shops and restaurants all close by
Reservations Agent (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJune 2, 2014
This was a wonderful experience, probably some of the best Managers I have ever worked with. The work environment was very comfortable, always saw my co workers with smiles and laughing. Communication is key in a work place, and La Valencia had a strong knack for this.
Management constantly changing, Micromanaged by Corporate Office
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAMay 5, 2014
- Worked 24/7 as only IT Solution for a Boutique Hotel
- Managed complete network including Audio Visual and Mitel Phone System.
- Planned and implemented upgrades and or Installation of all IT related needs for 5 major remodels during my 2 years
- Was on call 24/7 for any Property Management or Point of Sale issues with software.
- Was responsible for setup and training of all new management staff
- Was mainly a hardware guru, learned networking and server setup and maintenance
- Great family environment and location "La Jolla"
Pros
free lunches and great location
Cons
micromanaged by corporate office
jewell of LaJolla
Preferred Hotels Worldwide Member (Former Employee) –  Lajollam caJuly 8, 2013
Great people to work with, beautiful beaches and scenery, like working in paradise
Pros
preferred hotel
Cons
parking
Dynamic environment
Accounting Administrator (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAMay 10, 2013
I have learned a lot in the year I have worked at La Valencia Hotel.
Beautiful location with an serene view of the ocean
Houseman (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CANovember 15, 2012
First, I come in for a team meeting to review the event(s) going on in the hotel and assignments are delegated by the management. I have l learned that presentation is key to pulling off a successful event. My co-workers and myself have an understanding that we are all part of a team so we do our best to help each other out when someone is too busy or cannot perform certain tasks well due to physical limitations.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
work holidays
A truely great place to work
Valet/Bell Department (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CASeptember 8, 2012
We would handle parking and luggage assistance for guests of this very nice hotel. I learned alot about the difference between 5-star service and average service for guests.
The management was made of people who genuinly liked thier jobs and definitely cared about the people who work there. My co-workers were all great as well. The hardest part of the job was dealing with fussy hotel guests during winter storms. Many of them expected perfect weather all the time since the hotel is located in coastal southern California. The best part of the job was definitelt the people I worked with.
Pros
good pay, benefits, great people.
Cons
lack of upward mobility
it was a 4 star hotel it was awsome the food wow
Chef Tornade (Current Employee) –  CAApril 5, 2012
a typical day at work for me was to check all restaurant prep set up lines for cook do all stock beef stocks chicken stock fish stock help with inventory
Pros
it wasa wronderful place to work
Great ambiance, poor management under the previous ownership
Server (Former Employee) –  Village of La Jolla, CADecember 12, 2011
The La Valencia Resort in the village of La Jolla is a landmark, beautifully presented and on prime ocean front property. Although the Hotel has changed ownership since being employed there and has been rewarded better service reviews since. I believe the management under the last ownership was unorganized and less attentive to the customers point of view. Yet the ambiance and mood was always a motivation. In addition, the financial reward for being well known and liked as a social and genuine service provider was very motivating.
Pros
high end, variety of service needs, ambiance, tips.
Cons
management

4.4