Software Test Automation Engineer
LabKey Software is hiring exceptional people who will help scientists attack some of the most challenging problems in the world. Our team partners directly with leading biomedical researchers working to prevent and treat a wide range of diseases (HIV, cancer, diabetes, auto-immune diseases, asthma, allergies, and others); we learn their research and develop solutions to their data management and analytical challenges. We release everything we develop as open-source software, accelerating research in labs and networks throughout the world. We are serious about developing high quality software, delivering innovative solutions, and contributing to the research community, but we're just as committed to maintaining a collaborative and flexible work environment where everyone has fun while solving hard problems.
LabKey Software is headquartered in Seattle, WA and is establishing a new development office in San Diego.
Learn more about our company at www.labkey.com or visit our open-source community for more details on our software at www.labkey.org.
As a Software Test Automation Engineer (also known as Software Design Engineer in Test or SDET), you will work with our team and customers to understand requirements, design solutions, and ensure a high quality product at all points during the development process. Our ideal candidate will have significant experience in testing web applications at the user interface, internal API, and client API levels, and be comfortable working with developers and other team members to improve our testing process.
Develop and maintain automated tests, including unit, integration, and functional tests
Translate client requirements into test plans
Perform manual testing at the user interface and API levels
Communicate clearly and consistently with clients and other team members on an ongoing basis
Learn the science necessary to understand client data, methods, and work flows
Interest in building and growing a great software development team in San Diego
In addition to a strong track record of working hard, taking ownership and learning new technologies quickly, you should have:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent
- Three years (or more) professional test automation experience
- Strong ability to develop and implement extensive test coverage
- Understanding of modern software development principles including object-oriented design
- Experience with testing frameworks and related technologies (Selenium, JUnit, TeamCity, Clover)
- Familiarity with Java-based server technologies (Java, Spring, Tomcat) and relational databases
- Experience solving bioinformatics problems (preferred)
- Authorization to work in the US - we are unable to sponsor work visas
- Availability to work in San Diego - we are unable to offer relocation compensation
We offer a truly flexible work schedule. You are paid for every hour you work, no matter where or when that happens. You choose your own vacation and holiday schedule. We actually have fun at work with Whiskey Thursdays, release parties, and more. Other benefits include medical, vision, life and LTD insurance, FSA, 401(k), bonus plan, and paid sick time.
Joel Test score: 12 out of 12
The Joel Test (http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000043.html) is a twelve-question measure of the quality of a software team.
- Do you use source control?
- Can you make a build in one step?
- Do you make daily builds?
- Do you have a bug database?
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code?
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
- Do you have a spec?
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions?
- Do you use the best tools money can buy?
- Do you have testers?
- Do new candidates write code during their interview?
- Do you do hallway usability testing?